Random Tournament 2024!

I also have a qestion regarding the rules: As Mercs are not restricted regarding the weapon does that mean that i could give him any runeword in any weapon?
For my druid i am leaning towards a flaming mauler.
Yes, mercenaries can use any weapon.

My random MA Assassin -- idunno -- has made it to the Inner Cloister waypoint so far. Andy is going down today. I am not doing Single Pass, but I will try to limit the amount of re-running involved (i.e. for runes). I most likely will take advantage of Terror Zones at the end of Normal and Nightmare if I need to grind out a couple of levels before jumping to the next difficulty. I am assuming that's allowed since D2R is recommended for this tournament and I didn't see anything in the rules about not running Terror Zones.

I copied the character table from the last tournament and filled in as much as I could from what's been posted thus far. Feel free to fill in the blanks for your characters. Since the forum textbox doesn't use a monospace font, I find it's easiest to copy the table into your text editor of choice, make the changes, then copy back into a post. Much easier to preserve the spacing that way.

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SP? D2R? Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level  Post #    Location               Score
--- ---- ----------        --------------       -----   -----  ------    --------               -----
?   Yes  Vang              ?                    Pal     ?      3         ?                      ?
?   No   Miron             ?                    Nec     ?      6         ?                      ?
?   ?    skoolbus          Slaybraham           Bar     ?      10        Forgotten Tower        ?
?   No   SirName           ?                    Sor     ?      14        ?                      ?
?   Yes  Kruemelmonschda   ?                    Dru     ?      16        ?                      ?
?   ?    Grisu             ?                    Ama     ?      23        ?                      ?
No  Yes  little birdy      idunno               Ass     19     22        Inner Cloister         0
?   ?    Vildecor          ?                    Pal     ?      34        ?                      ?
?   ?    Sven F            ?                    Dru     ?      39        ?                      ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Departed                                                               Died against/in
..  ...  .....             .....                ...     ..     ...     .....                    ..

Table update:
Code:
SP? D2R? Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level  Post #    Location               Score
--- ---- ----------        --------------       -----   -----  ------    --------               -----
?   Yes  Vang              ?                    Pal     ?      3         ?                      ?
?   No   Miron             ?                    Nec     ?      6         ?                      ?
?   ?    skoolbus          Slaybraham           Bar     ?      10        Forgotten Tower        ?
No  No   SirName           RandoCarlissian      Sor     10     14        Stony Field            0
?   Yes  Kruemelmonschda   ?                    Dru     ?      16        ?                      ?
?   ?    Grisu             ?                    Ama     ?      23        ?                      ?
No  Yes  little birdy      idunno               Ass     19     22        Inner Cloister         0
?   ?    Vildecor          ?                    Pal     ?      34        ?                      ?
?   ?    Sven F            ?                    Dru     ?      39        ?                      ?

Departed                                                               Died against/in
..  ...  .....             .....                ...     ..     ...     .....                    ..

(8) Defensive Auras Skill Tab, (13) Thorns, (16) Holy Freeze, (24) Zeal, (27) Blessed Hammer
(7) Breast Plate, (9) Circlet, (6) Tower Shield, (2) Rondache
(2) Scimitar, (2) Grand Scepter

Turns out I couldn't wait until I was done with the RFL to start my character. Steinar, the Holy Freeze Zealot has defeated Andariel.

Screenshot081.png

I'm playing him single pass, so it's been all /p8 so far. He's currently rocking skull cap/ringmail w/topazes, large shield w/diamonds, leather gloves & boots of fortune, and Blood Crescent:

Screenshot078.png

The unique scimitar replaced the gemmed Scepter he was previously using. I will take it as a good sign that the first two unique items that dropped (this, and Hotspur just before Andariel) were usable items. I've managed to find 4 lightning resist SCs, along with an 11 lightning resist jewel of envy that is sitting in the mercenary's gemmed Hunter's Bow (along with chipped sapphire/emerald). Radament has been slain and next up is the desert!

Hsaru's Iron Fist - Dark Wood
Hsaru's Iron Fist - Tamoe Highland
Blood Crescent - Jail Level 1
Death's Hand - Catacombs Level 3
Hotspur - Catacombs Level 4
Leadcrow - Sewers Level 2

Code:
Yes Yes  Vildecor          Steinar              Pal     21     34        Sewers Level 2         3
No  No   SirName           RandoCarlissian      Sor     10     14        Stony Field            0

Nice progress! I took down Andy over my lunch break and then pushed through to the Dry Hills to get the Cube. So many chipped gems and partial rejuvs 😵‍💫 I picked up everything. Feels good to cube it all up. I am hoping to get as far as the Arcane Sanctuary tonight if I get a chance to play.

Reactions: Miron
Progress! Duriel is down. idunno marches on to Act III. I am using Claws of Thunder, Fists of Fire, and Dragon Claw as the finisher. Only a few levels away from Phoenix Strike.

I have had OK luck with set items--even a couple that I can use!--but I don't think I've seen any uniques yet. I have found Cathan's amulet, Arctic belt, Angelic sword, 2x Isenhart's helm

Code:
No  Yes  little birdy      idunno               Ass     27     22        Kurast Docks           6
Yes Yes  Vildecor          Steinar              Pal     21     34        Sewers Level 2         3

Erdbär is truckig along nicely but slowly at /p8 (single pass it is). He just rescued Cain and reached Lvl 15. Even a set item has dropped (Hsarus' Buckler) but nothing of note that could be used.

Code:
No  Yes  little birdy      idunno               Ass     27     22        Kurast Docks           6
Yes Yes  Kruemelmonschda   Erdbär               Dru     15     16        Dark Wood              0

Urs just killed countess and is on his way to andariel. All is played p8 so far. I probably wont do that too long since progress with maul is very slow.

Edit: Urs killed Andariel and is now at level 18.

Andi.jpg

Code:
Yes Yes  Kruemelmonschda   Erdbär               Dru     15     16        Dark Wood              0
No  Yes  Sven F            Urs                  Dru     18     39        Lut Gholein            ?

Last edited:
The Guardian I just did in the Tournament of Tournaments Fashionta was a very similar Paladin up to this point. I have maxed Holy Bolt. I think I will go Smite though instead of a zeal or vengeance as I am not super reliant on great weapons then. Pretty much nothing major to note and no NDE's thus far.

I do like any basic item can be equipped, I got a 3 socket Paladin shield with and Ort and some gems to make up my resistance and carried a plain plated belt until I reached NM and shopped a Sharkskin belt.

Screenshot012.png

Also found a second Gorefoot.

Screenshot013.png

19% Nagel

Screenshot014.png

At least the shield provides +1 Paladin skills for Holy Shield.

Code:
No  Yes  Vang              RagerX               Pal     45      3        Dark Wood NM          15
?   No   Miron             ?                    Nec     ?       6        ?                      ?
No  Yes  Sven F            Urs                  Dru     18     39        Lut Gholein            ?

Nice progress! I took down Andy over my lunch break and then pushed through to the Dry Hills to get the Cube. So many chipped gems and partial rejuvs 😵‍💫 I picked up everything. Feels good to cube it all up. I am hoping to get as far as the Arcane Sanctuary tonight if I get a chance to play.
You cube up all chippies? Don't you use the chipped diamonds for the savage polearm recipe and the others (except topazes) to reroll the weapon with sockets once you hit a savage Partizan? Well, I guess it depends on what weapons you already found for your merc, but I find a 2 os magical Partizan with 2x -15% req jewels hard to beat in early Normal :)

EDIT: @Vang: wow, you are blazing through with your Paladin 😲

Reactions: little birdy
I finished Act 1. As I never played a Druid untwinked - hell, I even never played a Werebear - I lowered player settings to 3 for Andy. In hindsight I probably should have stayed at 8.

Current Gear:

Head: Plague Cowl (Rare Helm): 10% FHR, +15 AR, +30% EnhDef, +1 Energy, +3 Mana, PR +5% (gambled)
Body: Carrion Shell (Rare Ring Mail): +18% EnhDef, +1 Strength, +9 Life, 25% Poison Length (gambled)
Hands: Wraith Hold (Rare Leather Gloves): 10% Nova when struck, CR +15%, FR +7%, 79% EG (gambled)
Belt: (Magic Light Belt): +29% EnhDef, +8 Life (gambled)
Feet: Viper Blazer (Rare Boots): 10% Nova when struck, 23% EnhDef, LR +27%, 65% EG, 18% MF (gambled)
Ring #1: +1 Str, +6% MF
Ring #2: +25% EG, +9% MF
Amu: +2 Life, FR +7%
Weapon: Grim Wood (Rare Scythe): +36% EnhDam, +3 MaxDam, +19 AR, +7 PsnDam, 5%LL (gambled)

Note to Self: Do not use Umlauts for tournaments. It seems due to the "ä" in Erdbär GoMule Dump is not working and i had to type the gear by myself....

Code:
No  Yes  Vang              RagerX               Pal     45      3        Dark Wood NM          15
Yes Yes  Kruemelmonschda   Erdbär               Dru     20     16        Lut Gholein            3
?   No   Miron             ?                    Nec     ?       6        ?                      ?

You cube up all chippies? Don't you use the chipped diamonds for the savage polearm recipe and the others (except topazes) to reroll the weapon with sockets once you hit a savage Partizan? Well, I guess it depends on what weapons you already found for your merc, but I find a 2 os magical Partizan with 2x -15% req jewels hard to beat in early Normal :)
I tend to just stick with the quest reward Rogue mercenary for as long as possible. If/when I switch to a different one, it will be later on. I probably should use the Savage Polearm recipe more though. I often don’t bother.

So Urs just killed Duriel & Mephisto.

Duriel.png
Mephi.png

Since Werebear was too slow i used my normal respec and Urs is now a Werwolf. Right now im maxing werewolf & Lyc. After level 30 ill do fury. I farmed 3 ral at the countess and put them in the first fast attack speed weapon with 3 sockets i found. I never played hardcore or melee so i dont know how to progress espescially with the weapon. Is there a Runeword i could farm in nm? Anyone got some advice on how to play hardcore? I just try to play with patience so far.

I found 3 isenhart swords a 2 berserkers Axes so far.. hopefully my luck will change :D

Code:
Yes Yes  Kruemelmonschda   Erdbär               Dru     20     16        Lut Gholein            3
No  Yes  Sven F            Urs                  Dru     25     39        The Outer Steppes      ?

So Urs just killed Duriel & Mephisto.

View attachment 89996
View attachment 89997

Since Werebear was too slow i used my normal respec and Urs is now a Werwolf. Right now im maxing werewolf & Lyc. After level 30 ill do fury. I farmed 3 ral at the countess and put them in the first fast attack speed weapon with 3 sockets i found. I never played hardcore or melee so i dont know how to progress espescially with the weapon. Is there a Runeword i could farm in nm? Anyone got some advice on how to play hardcore? I just try to play with patience so far.

I found 3 isenhart swords a 2 berserkers Axes so far.. hopefully my luck will change :D

Code:
No  Yes  Sven F            Urs                  Dru     25     39        The Outer Steppes      ?

May a Ko for Hustle weapon. Its a pretty decent weapon. Other options are abound, including Insight in a big Bill/Col.Voulge

Reactions: Sven F
I think a little extra patience and carefulness is mainly what you need to stay alive in HC. You don’t necessarily have to play slow. But becoming impatient and trying to rush through areas can potentially lead to trouble.

I agree with Vang that ‘Insight’ is an easy rune word for you to aim for in NM. With a little luck, you’ll find a 4os Bill early on in NM.

In Hell, ‘Insight’ in a Colossus Voulge would be a solid upgrade. If you’re lucky enough to get an Um along the way, a ‘Crescent Moon’ Colossus Voulge seems very nice. Don’t sleep on ‘Hustle’ either.

More progress!

idunno has made it as far as the Frigid Highlands waypoint. I reduced the players count for Act IV and arrived in Act V a tad under-levelled compared to if I had gone p8 all the way. So a quick 30-ish minute session with Eldritch rectified that.

My first very really useful set and uniques to drop in Act III and IV were Sander's gloves and Hawkmail (unique Scale Mail). Sander's gloves are great. 20% IAS on the gloves plus a magic Katar with 20% IAS in the main hand that I gambled are a nice combo. And of course Hawkmail grants me early access to Cannot Be Frozen. My character runs slower with it and the stamina drain was noticeable at first. But it's worth it for CBF. I also gambled a rare Katar with +1 Assassin skills and a couple other nice bonuses that I use in the off-hand.

Tonight I am back to questing. Hopefully I'll get as far as saving Anya.

Code:
No  Yes  Vang              RagerX               Pal     45      3        Dark Wood NM           15
No  Yes  little birdy      idunno               Ass     38     22        Frigid Highlands       12
No  Yes  Sven F            Urs                  Dru     25     39        The Outer Steppes       9
Yes Yes  Vildecor          Steinar              Pal     21     34        Sewers Level 2          3
Yes Yes  Kruemelmonschda   Erdbär               Dru     20     16        Lut Gholein             3
No  No   SirName           RandoCarlissian      Sor     10     14        Stony Field             0
?   ?    skoolbus          Slaybraham           Bar     ?      10        Forgotten Tower         0
?   No   Miron             ?                    Nec     ?       6        ?                       ?
?   ?    Grisu             ?                    Ama     ?      23        ?                       ?

Reactions: Vildecor and Vang
Well, Urs killed Diablo which was a real struggle since fire damage is pretty bad in A4...

Diablo.png

After i reached Act 5 with level 26 i rished eldritch & shenk and leveled till Level 35. After unlocking Fury i was strong enough to play at p3 and march on to Ball. Ancients were slow but doable with enough potions and the spirit + Merc to tank. I killed Baal at level 39 after pulling out wave 5. The Pushback was too annoying. On the way i found: ......RIBCAGE!! Sadly i cant use it. Baal Himself obviously dropped nothing.

Baal.png

Next stop is Countess in Nm to get some Runes for the Insight runeword to power up my Char. After the second run this happened:

Theend.png

Urs died at level 42 to Moon Crawler.. Cursed + Exra strong is a scary combination which i didnt respect enough.. Thats pretty sad - i was looking forward to gearing him with runewords.

Im not quite sure how to fill in the Collumn at the bottom, but this is the end of the Adventure of Urs the Werebearwolf.

Code:
No  Yes  Vang              RagerX               Pal     45      3        Dark Wood NM           15
No  Yes  little birdy      idunno               Ass     38     22        Frigid Highlands       12
No  Yes  Sven F            Urs                  Dru     42     39        The Tower NM            9
Yes Yes  Vildecor          Steinar              Pal     21     34        Sewers Level 2          3
Yes Yes  Kruemelmonschda   Erdbär               Dru     20     16        Lut Gholein             3
No  No   SirName           RandoCarlissian      Sor     10     14        Stony Field             0
?   ?    skoolbus          Slaybraham           Bar     ?      10        Forgotten Tower         0
?   No   Miron             ?                    Nec     ?       6        ?                       ?
?   ?    Grisu             ?                    Ama     ?      23        ?                       ?

Smite and Holy Bolt are a unique combo requiring different stats, but to simplify, some CB and a bit of damage go a long way.

I found a white Sacred Targe and decided to test my luck at the cube recipe instead of just using the reward. It netted me 1 socket :(. Heading into Hell I tried another level from 78 to 79 hoping to find something useful, but no go.

I did find this though:

Screenshot017.png

Which was a Ravenfrost and afterward in a Terror Zone found this, but must of not have taken a screenshot:

Screenshot019.png

The military pick has 30ias and some minor resist with the rest of the gear being basic and a Rockfleece (Sharktooth).

Other than that, Smite damage is ~500-800 so pretty efficient character. Now let us see if we can find a better shield (Sacred Rondache that is so I can at least roll it a rare or make a Spirit out of it)
Code:
No  Yes  Vang              RagerX               Pal     79     3        Dark Wood H           30
No  Yes  Sven F            Urs                  Dru     25     39        The Outer Steppes       9

@Sven F that's too bad about Urs. Cursed and Extra Strong is indeed a nasty combination. Those Dark Archers can be a real pain.

To update the table, you basically just update your level and score, and then cut and paste your characters line into the lower table for departed characters.

Replays are allowed by the way. No max number of tries. You can take another crack at the Druid that was rolled for you, or one of us can roll you a new random character. Just say the word and somebody will fire up the random number generator to roll you a new character!

Code:
No  Yes  Vang              RagerX               Pal     79      3        Dark Wood H            30

Departed                                                                 Died against/in
No  Yes  Sven F            Urs                  Dru     42     39        Forgotten Tower NM     15

Holy smokes, you're flying through the game Vang. Nice job getting a Raven Frost and G. Face.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High