Question about CL/FO build

Batang

Oct 26, 2005
Question about CL/FO build

I'm thinking about creating my first ladder character this season, and I'm curious to know if a CL/FO sorc is viable from the beginning of the ladder. I've always been under the assumption that lightning sorcs are very expensive to make, but I couldn't really confirm this since the only CL/FO guide I found was made over 6 years ago. The reason I want to go for a CL/FO build is because it's pretty much the only sorc build I haven't tried, and I just don't think I can stand to play another fire/frost build of any sort, so either it's this build or I'll probably make a gf barb of some sort.

Re: Question about CL/FO build

It's similar in effectiveness to the meteorb, but I'd say you get a little less bang for your buck. Light skills are also more mana intensive, but CL is a better area clearer than FB. And since basically all of hell is fire immune it does open up a couple of areas and generally you can run more efficiently.

If you're an experienced player and know how to get the basic stuff quickly (spirits etc) then I'd say go for it.

In the beginning this sorc is not as powerful as a meteorb. Plus skills equipment and lightning skillers are important if you really want to make a strong CL/FO sorc. The reason is the very low minimum damage for lightning skills. Also, I use lightning more than chain lightning because the mana cost is lower and its power is at roughly double that of chain lightning.

it is worse for act bosses, meteor kills meph, ie, much faster than lightning or orb, but as a area cleaner is a better skill. It is good for Countess, Shenk, Nila, Pits, etc.
(teleport, warmth, shiver armor)

20 orb
20 CL
20 L
20 LM

You can either put more points in nova/CB to max light power or put more points on cold mastery. I'd rather use them on light tree.

Thanks for all the pointers. I already started this character so hopefully I'll be able to make it work. I suppose if it doesn't I can always re-spec, even though that's unlikely because I don't feel like going for fire, frost, or fire/frost.

I was wondering, which one is better for a CL/FO sorc:

Tal's set or shako+skulders+ocu+arachnid+2 sorc skill amu? Tals set gives 3 fewer sorc skills, but it does provide much more life, resistances, -resistance to enemy etc. Both alternatives should be roughly the same price also.

EDIT: Crap, didn't realize I could still have edited my last post. For some reason I recall it only being possible to edit posts for a short time after you made it, or is that for the trade forums only? :eek:

I was wondering, which one is better for a CL/FO sorc:

Tal's set or shako+skulders+ocu+arachnid+2 sorc skill amu? Tals set gives 3 fewer sorc skills, but it does provide much more life, resistances, -resistance to enemy etc. Both alternatives should be roughly the same price also.

EDIT: Crap, didn't realize I could still have edited my last post. For some reason I recall it only being possible to edit posts for a short time after you made it, or is that for the trade forums only? :eek:

I recommend Tal's over the other setup. Yes the other setup gives you more +skills but when you take into account the -15% enemy resistances, the difference between the two is not much at all. If you go with the other setup you get a little more power but you lose all the benefits of Tal's Set. Just add more lightning skillers and make sure that you have 117% FCR for your lightning skills. This is my equipment setup:

Head: Tal's Helm
Armor: Tal's Armor
Belt: Tal's Belt
Weapon: Tal's Orb
Shield: Spirit (35% FCR)
Rings: 2X FCR rings
Gloves: Magefist
Boots: War Traveler

Now Tal's, Spirit shield at 35% FCR, Magefist, and 2X FCR rings brings you to the 117% FCR which is recommended for using lightning and CL. My current CL/FO sorc has +17 skills to lightning and +9 skills to cold skills. Right now the damage output for lightning is 6-14,555 so it's an average damage of about 7,000.

Can ne one comment on what the stats breakdown should be for the CL/Orb sorc build?

stats, as for any sorc, are no dex, str just for gear (so 156 for Spirit), and then either pump Vit if you're not using ES, or pump Ene if you are.

I use 1-pt ES on my Tal's CL/FO sorcs and highly recommend it.

Is plenty viable, but way less powerfull than Meteorb. When MOrb is ready you Fireball kill much faster that Orb. With CL, even with 60 points invested, your killing speed matches that of FO unless you have top-top gear. I made one 2 seasons ago and ended up stripping her of gear to assemble another Meteorb.

Is plenty viable, but way less powerfull than Meteorb. When MOrb is ready you Fireball kill much faster that Orb. With CL, even with 60 points invested, your killing speed matches that of FO unless you have top-top gear. I made one 2 seasons ago and ended up stripping her of gear to assemble another Meteorb.

The classic folly :) Try killing fast with Fireball in Pits, where you have swarms of resurrecting, fire-immune Fallen blocking all your lines of fire, for instance. Meteorb does more damage on paper, but CL/FO gets an advantage in mechanics since both her skills are pass-through and large-area AoE. And even with just a full Tal's and 60 points (at 117FCR), your CL is going to be doing much more killing than your FO.

The basic wisdom is this: Meteorb is superior for bosshunting MF due to its higher average single-target DPS, CL/FO is superior for area MFing due to its better AoE DPS.

Been there done that. I trade a couple of seconds on killing a mob of Fallen for the ability to kill a pack of archers in 1 shot. The same goes for Countess' room. fallen are easy, the FO should clean a straight path away to your FBalls. And Dark Hunters and Wendigos will come to you direction any way. Even if there are fallens they will recieve splash damage. It's the archers wich are the problem. they can pick you from afar, the only solution is teleing next to them and shooting, but with FO you're no guaranteed a one hit kill against them

Is the CL/FO sorc more effective than a meteorb for running tombs or the cow level? I've read that people run them for runes, and it would be nice to do something a bit different for once.

Tombs, I'm not sure - thats all very closed quarters, which favors Fireball mechanics - but in the open Cow level, CL/FO does very well. CL covers the screen, when cows are coming at you from multiple directions, plus CL/FOs lets you stock up on Lightning skillers, which will boost the radius of your Static Field, which greatly speeds up your kill rate in the super-monster-dense Cow level.

Tombs, I'm not sure - thats all very closed quarters, which favors Fireball mechanics - but in the open Cow level, CL/FO does very well. CL covers the screen, when cows are coming at you from multiple directions, plus CL/FOs lets you stock up on Lightning skillers, which will boost the radius of your Static Field, which greatly speeds up your kill rate in the super-monster-dense Cow level.

Then again the skeletons in the tombs are fire immune are they not?

Not sure about the Tombs. It's not an usual place to run. I have no recent memories of Cow Level, but I remember it being a though place to run. (or maybe it was because I tried to run in p8 games?). Anyway it all depends on your Chain Lightining being able to do enough damage to kill cows fast, which I have a bit of doubt. Otherwise the area effect can attract a lot of cows to your screen. Being overwhelmed there is not pretty. I can give a test tonight, but my CL/Orb is runnign with subpar equipment these days.

You're really big on badmouthing CL damage, NE :p

Its not as bad as you make it out just looking at the LCS numbers. CL is enough to keep cows in hit recovery, and that's over a much greater area than FB can keep them locked. Your merc tanks, and a wide-field SF basically starts you off halfway done. CL kills entire screens of cows, not just the front edge of the wave, and you dont have to wait till they bunch up to start AoEing them.

In solo /p8 cows, its all about -enemy res anyway, with a fire or light sorc, so you're looking at Infinity merc either way, and once you get that it doesnt really matter what element you use :)

Maybe I don't know something I should about cows but I had bad experiences. Mercs can't tank alone, I believe even a full equiped one. I know from exeperience even 11 skeletons can be overwhelmed by 20+ cows, if you don't use revives. Those buggers simply have too much life and numbers.
BTW I tested Tombs and even my undergeared CL/Orb could do it fine for what is worth. Found no LIs on 2 runs, but then again, maybe Scarabs can spawn there?And yes, skelies are Fire Immune. Cows was a disapointment, but, like I said my CL/FO is very underequiped (only +6 skills and no -% LR).
I'm too scared with lag to mule Full Tal to her again, so I will take your word on it.

Last edited:

I recommend Tal's over the other setup. Yes the other setup gives you more +skills but when you take into account the -15% enemy resistances, the difference between the two is not much at all. If you go with the other setup you get a little more power but you lose all the benefits of Tal's Set. Just add more lightning skillers and make sure that you have 117% FCR for your lightning skills. This is my equipment setup:

Head: Tal's Helm
Armor: Tal's Armor
Belt: Tal's Belt
Weapon: Tal's Orb
Shield: Spirit (35% FCR)
Rings: 2X FCR rings
Gloves: Magefist
Boots: War Traveler

Now Tal's, Spirit shield at 35% FCR, Magefist, and 2X FCR rings brings you to the 117% FCR which is recommended for using lightning and CL. My current CL/FO sorc has +17 skills to lightning and +9 skills to cold skills. Right now the damage output for lightning is 6-14,555 so it's an average damage of about 7,000.

I now have tal's set on my sorc. Unfortunately what I didn't come to think of was the fact that you're left with a very poor bo lvl with tal's set. Then again the unique items I proposed give less life and much less resists, so maybe tal's set is better to start off with. Still, I'd imagine a less careless player than myself could make more use out of the unique items seeing as they provide slightly more mf ontop of the additional skills.

I now have tal's set on my sorc. Unfortunately what I didn't come to think of was the fact that you're left with a very poor bo lvl with tal's set. Then again the unique items I proposed give less life and much less resists, so maybe tal's set is better to start off with. Still, I'd imagine a less careless player than myself could make more use out of the unique items seeing as they provide slightly more mf ontop of the additional skills.

EDIT: Btw, I've read that there are only relatively few monsters that have an unbreakable immunity to lightning, and I was wondering if there's a list of these mob types somewhere?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High