Q: minimum interaction needed to finish the game?

skiffcz

Sep 23, 2007
Q: minimum interaction needed to finish the game?

This is a quickie. What is the minimum interaction with NPCs required to get from Moor to Baal? Im sure of only one:

Talk to Tyrael after killing Duriel.

Do you need to talk to Warriv/Meshif/Tyrael/Tyrael to get to next act? Or you will get the WP automatically when you save/load.

That would require:

a1
Warriv after killing Andy.
a2
Tyrael after killing Duriel.
Drognan after talking to Tyrael.
Jerhyn after talking to Drognan.
Meshif after talking to Jerhyn.
a4
Tyrael after defeating Diablo.
a5
Tyrael after defeating Baal.

Anyone with some tips/tricks how to avoid that pesky human presence? I can stand Tyrael, but why a hero should waste his dignity with some filthy sailors, I cant understand ...

Last edited:
Re: Q: minimum interaction needed to finish the game?

From memory (most of us do all of this automatically anyway :D)
Act 1.
Correct.

Act 2.
I don't think you have to talk to Tyrael, but I can be wrong.
Warriv and Drognan are a must too. As is Jerhyn.

Act 4 (not 3).
Correct.

Act 5 (not 4).
I don't think so... S/E should give you the same result. Besides, you said to Baal.

Let's see how far am I from the correct answer.

Don't you have to speak to some townspeople (Drognan?) in Act 2 in order to access the palace?

Act 1 - Warriv after killing Andariel

Act 2 - Drognan to enter the palace after the Claw Viper Temple
Tyrael -> Jeryn -> Meshif
After killing Duriel, you take the portal out, run to the palace and talk to Jehryn, enter the Palace, town portal immediately to get close to Meshif, and talk to him to set sail.

I'm pretty certain you don't need to talk to warriv or drognan after talking to Tyrael

Act 3 - None I think

Act 4 - Tyrael for portal after killing Diablo

Act 5 - None (S&E after killing Baal does the same thing)

That makes 6 NPC encounters.

Edit, To your question, I'm pretty certain you have to click the "move to next act" button to get the next towns waypoint activated.

Not Warriv. Meshif! I knew I'd mess something up.

Drystan's list is correct, I'm pretty sure.

Hmmm... a realistic playing of the game kind of requires the selling of excess goods and repair of worn goods (unless you find a load of Orts) and the claiming of certain highly useful quest rewards. None of this is of course required, but I can't imagine too many people would realistically skip this stuff.

^^2 words. HF rushing. :D

So I HF rush a pile of characters to gain enough Orts from the normal HF so that another character can avoid having to talk to vendors to repair stuff. Yep, plenty of annoyance saved through this method... ;)

Act 2 - Drognan to enter the palace after the Claw Viper Temple
Tyrael -> Jeryn -> Meshif
After killing Duriel, you take the portal out, run to the palace and talk to Jehryn, enter the Palace, town portal immediately to get close to Meshif, and talk to him to set sail.

If you are being rushed in some form, meaning that you have access to the tower cellar or arcane sanctuary waypoints, you don't need to talk to Drognan. You won't be able to get past the guard of the palace but you can still talk to Jerhyn through the wall of the palace to get to act 3 after killing Duriel. Your list is definitive if you are going alone though. :thumbup:

:D

I despise HF rushing and I am positive that almost no-one really skips all of the talking to NPC - I merely am pointing out that there can be a reason.

Now we're getting into the tiny details. :) FUN!

Pyrohemia said:
If you are being rushed in some form, meaning that you have access to the tower cellar or arcane sanctuary waypoints, you don't need to talk to Drognan. You won't be able to get past the guard of the palace but you can still talk to Jerhyn through the wall of the palace to get to act 3 after killing Duriel. Your list is definitive if you are going alone though.

Skiffcz asks minimum to get from Blood moor to Baal [completing normal.] For Hell, multiply by 3.

If you're being rushed, you can indeed skip some. But, if you're being rushed, you have to talk to Cain in Act 3 after killing the council before taking a portal to Durance level 3. [Or something like this, as rushees can't take a portal straight to Dury level 3 - This is in regards to the present patch, so we could get even nittier/grittier and go into various patches.]
So for rushing 1 character, it may still be the same amount of NPC interaction in the present patch.

For simplicity, I assume Skiffcz is referring to solo, not rushing. :)

Last edited:

I was actually asking this to complete some pieces of one whacky build I may attempt in a future. Thank you all for your replies ;)

One of the [Live off the land?] tourney styled chars? Where the main rule is Live off the land - no vendors, no quest rewards, no healing? [Removed - doesn't look like it would be "mini"]

It's not an iron man tourney, but don't know the name [or maybe it is?.]

[] = Edits

You might be interested in the "All Alone" series of tournaments. The third version was the the largest and most successful. IMO one of the best tournament concepts ever. Living off the land with minimized NPC interaction (only what is necessary to move forward), no stash, no TPs, etc...

It really forced you to plan for unusual circumstances unlike any other character.

What to carry in your limited inventory.
Will you find enough potions in the field to support your build?
The importance of auto-repair/indestructible items.
Seldom used cube recipes, like Ral/Ort repairs, bolts --> arrows, Spear --> Javelin.
Tossing away heaps of broken weapons/armor, especially in the early stages.
Tossing away unidentified items because scroll use must be prioritized.
Hoping for certain monster types more likely to drop potions/scrolls.
Emergency life regen jewelry.
No town portals, no escape route, no S/E, no rerolling maps, no turning back, every battle a "last stand"!

Doesn't Anya have to interpret the scroll so you can get to tristram?

I didn't think the stones would work if you hadn't seen her yet. But I guess that quest is largely optional anyway, huh...

Never Mind.

Funny thing you replied Wayne - the idea is in fact to go naked :D

I plan a way how to use as less "aspects" of the game as possible. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to make the game harder. It will get harder as a consequence, but the main purpose is different. Its my computer science deformation, the KISS syndrome I guess. Strip things down to bare minimum, but try not to sacrifce too much power.

Sorry if all this seems chaotic - Im not ready to share the build yet (altough I bet lot of you have guessed it already or even came up with much better one). To sum it up, Im at this point in the ruleset draftage (forbidden is everything not listed below):

1, I can use skillpoints and skills.
2, I can use creatures (I guess killing them counts as "use" action).
3, I can use external and town space (AJK invented build which left out wilderness, remember?) and space objects like doors, chests, Compelling Orb, Flavie, shrines etc.
4, I can use NPCs and their services (They will make portal for me or get me to another act, so no point in neglecting their other services if I have to use some. Quest rewards are not services IMHO).
5, I can pick up and use items considered "junk" (potions, scrolls, gold, keys) and quest items.

And at the same time I should be able to finish the game in HC.

Now the task is to find the most reasonable and easy build complying with the ruleset as possible (if there is any, and I believe there are at least two, suited even for nubs like myself).

Appendix A - Some Forbidden Aspects: (but not all, just to clarify meaning of "not listed)
Stat points.
Minions. (Any)
Quest rewards.
Picking and/or using "Good" gear. (Armor, weapons, jewelery, charms, gems, runes etc.)
Atma, Gomule, Mods, etc.

Also, as I want this to be at least a bit enjoyable, not tedious, and Im not IW/Jian/SuperDave/Insert your favourite D2 Loco here, I may add Save and Exit (not to be explioted, but some leveling opportunity will be appriciated, as Im not a "full clears" type of person. Knowing that I "could" kill anything in theory is good enough for me)

Back to the original question (may not have too much to do with the tourny being discussed), just to really split hairs, could the final screen in an act (where you are congratulated for moving on) be considered an interaction with Cain?

@J6G - You're right - you don't need Cain to move forward. Only if it's completing all Quests/Waypoints, you need to talk to Akara. Cain will appear in the next town, even if you don't save him, but will charge 'x' gold to identify items until you save him properly.
Isn't Anya in Act 5? Akara's in A1. :)

@SL - personally, I don't think so. You don't need to hear him, or ask him to take you somewhere. It may be considered by some, but IMO, no.

@skiffcz - Let us know when you've ready, and good luck with the build. :)

@Drystan: :facepalm: Jeez... Yep. It's Akara in A1... I should know this, being the forum-acknowledged king of that acursed act. Oh well.

And I did know that he would appear and charge for indents, but I've always saved him as a matter of course, since I like to follow the story line for the most part.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High