q about classic patches

Gwandort

Jun 24, 2003
q about classic patches

I want to give a try to D2C.
i have a question for the old diablo veterans
which patch do you think is the most sorc-friendly (well, so far I came to conclusion that in comparison whith 1.09 and even with 1.10, no classic patch can be called sorc-friendly :mad: , maybe I just have to get used to it...)

So far I've been playing 1.00 (istalled it few days ago), got my sorc to act4/norm and trying to level her to lvl 30. So I just wanted to ask, which patch do you think would be the best.

Someone told me SF range was nerfed in some of the patches, i checked the info for all the classic patches but didn't find anything about that... :confused:

Also one more think: where can I download old patches?
edit: I've found them already...

If they're not available from Blizzard, then you have to go to the modding places which I cannot direct you, best bet is to do a google search for "Diablo II 1.0x patch" where x is the version you want to get.

oops, double post.

OK, another classic question.

SF has a weird star-shape in classic (AFAIK, in 1.09 it was gone, haven't tested in 1.10) Is it true for all versions of classic?

Sorcs weren't underpowered in D2C - just think about having no casting delays and no immunity problems. SF + FO = death, plus max blocking with no dex. You might also want to consider being able to stack firewalls. The only thing they lack is a tank. Beware Duriel (you may even want to use Blaze for this)!

1.06 is fine. You may also want to remember the drop patterns for rings & ammys and that you have a reasonable chance for gambling a unique. Load up on faster cast too - it will be useful for all your (non-lightning) spells. River of Flame runs were the only real way for XP, so make sure you're ready to kill Diablo, and avoid his LBOD.

However, I don't remember about changing the SF pattern (other than it did change - for 1.07, I suspect, but don't know for sure) - just get in a good position and you should be OK (alternatively, you could test it against a swarm of easy monsters).

Gwandort said:
I want to give a try to D2C.
i have a question for the old diablo veterans
which patch do you think is the most sorc-friendly (well, so far I came to conclusion that in comparison whith 1.09 and even with 1.10, no classic patch can be called sorc-friendly :mad: , maybe I just have to get used to it...)

So far I've been playing 1.00 (istalled it few days ago), got my sorc to act4/norm and trying to level her to lvl 30. So I just wanted to ask, which patch do you think would be the best.

I play Classic on 1.10, but the sinergies make it quite hard, as you don't have as much +skill items, before that i only played 1.00 and 1.09 liking 1.09 better. But yet again, I only played the game for a year.

Hyjack

My I hyjack just a little. While we're on D2C, does anyone know in which patch necro's CE was nerfed? I'd love to play a CE necro from back then. :D BOOOOM!

I'm not sure, but it might be 1.3
Check the blizzard site, it has downloads of all the old patches + the readme for all those - I'm sure I've read it somewhere when trying to find some changes for sorcs

Mage11 said:
Sorcs weren't underpowered in D2C - just think about having no casting delays and no immunity problems. SF + FO = death, plus max blocking with no dex. You might also want to consider being able to stack firewalls. The only thing they lack is a tank. Beware Duriel (you may even want to use Blaze for this)!

yeah, actually SF+FO is one of the reasons why I wanted to play clasic sorc. (SoJ's being the second :p ) In 1.10 probably no sorc can afford to put 10 or more points (MAXED :xgrin: ) in SF.
I can't wait to get to lvl 30. I'm in act4/norm lvl 26 but leveling even in the river is SOO slow. I think 1.10 with big exp for bosses etc. kind of spoiled me ;)

Can you convert older items to 1.10? Gambling for a SoJ or other Set/Uniques would be nice, and some older items have nice stats (I remember my 1.08 Skullder's Ire.. so nice!). It would also be fun playing old classes/builds I haven't done in a while, like a WW Lance barb or a Amp/CE necro. Anyone remember the bone wall harvesting bug? Multishot with no reduction, all arrows roll for a hit instead of one... dual leach rings with low level requirements.. I could go on and on

Gwandort said:
oops, double post.

OK, another classic question.

SF has a weird star-shape in classic (AFAIK, in 1.09 it was gone, haven't tested in 1.10) Is it true for all versions of classic?
The weird shape bug was discovered and analysed in detail during 1.03 and was fixed with patch 1.04 to have a more octogonal shape. This bug also affected skills like holy freeze.

there is a very nice article about this on another site but as I understand it we can't link to other sites ...

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High