Pyrohemia's Character Threads

Pyrohemia

Mar 31, 2020
Matriarch Sapphire Mat'd in 1.12a, reborn in 1.13c

Matriarch Sapphire, PvP Fire Sorceress

The original Sapphire made Matriarch in 1.12a and then levelled to 89 in the Mausoleum. Here is her story.

Many ages ago I rolled a burning GC of Vita with 43 life. It was my first 41+ life skill charm and I was amazingly pleased. Unfortunately I had neither a fire sorceress nor any plans to build one so I attempted to trade it away. Luckily the charm held too much sentimental value to me and no one offered a satisfactory deal so I kept the charm. And so the ages passed uneventfully with a little hole being burned in my pocket. Eventually I made a gold-find barb and started gambling for circlets above and beyond those that popped up while gambling crafting amulets. I was once again mightily pleased when I gambled a nice 2/20/resist sorceress circlet in the first 10 million or so gold. Aha! This is what was missing. I now knew what character I would make. I also knew how I would build her.

After seeing corrupted take his Wizardspike wielding energy shield (ES) / fireball sorceress and clear out an entire 6 or 7 person free-for-all PvP game I knew that I had to make the same. Wizardspike makes getting to 200% FCR easier and gives a lot of mana which is the lifeblood of an ES sorceress. In addition it gives a lot of resists. Now, resists aren't the most important thing for an ES sorceress, but when you get them for free it will reduce further the already tiny damage that makes it through to your mana pool. Even more convenient is that two of the other staples for a 200% FCR sorceress, Skin of the Vipermagi and Spirit, also have large amounts of resists. This had the backbone of my build set and I just needed to fit in the pieces.

1. 200% faster cast rate. This gives you weaker fireballs, but gives you a form of protection by darting around faster than a roadrunner on amphetamines.
  2. Full level 40 energy shield with full telekinesis synergy. This is a major sink for skill points but gets you some of the best protection in the game. Divide any damage you take by 20. Yes please! When you factor in the PvP penalty this is divide by approximately 120.
  3. No block. Getting max block with spirit is futile and nearly impossible without Twitchthroe or Guardian Angel. Besides, who needs block when you are a 200% FCR energy shield tank.
  4. No vitality. This is just a basic tenet of and ES sorceress, nothing new here.
  5. 1000+ life and 3500+ mana. This is a respectable goal for an ES sorceress, but will require nice charms and battle orders to get to with 0 vitality.
  6. Max, and hopefully stacked resists. This is not a normal ES sorceress practice. When you have 95% energy shield protection, why would you care what your resists are? Just maximize your mana pool and damage. I wanted this because most of the resists were coming for free, and when your life total goal is 1k even the small amount of damage that makes it passed your ES still makes a mark. This also was to have maxed and heavily stacked poison resists to somewhat counter one of the two banes of ES sorceresses: poison.

The normal plan for a no block Wizardspike caster is to socket a Hel or -requirements jewel into the 'spike in order to reduce the dexterity requirement. I started looking over my jewels. Do I have a jewel with some nice other mods that will be better than the extra -5% requirements from a Hel rune? Aha, I have a shiny 15% resist all / -15% requirements jewel. But wait, I'm not about to stuff a jewel into something worth exponentially less than the jewel itself, that would be such a waste. Hmmm... Oho! If I could get myself a hold of a 1.07 (95% resist all) Wizardspike that would be a worthy weapon to socket with this jewel and would give a cool 110% resist all. After giving up on a 1.07 Arkaine's Valour after 17 green balrog skins I wasn't too hopeful with my quest for a 1.07 Wizardspike, but I was willing to give it a go. It turns out that I got my luck back, and then some, as I was able to rack both a Wizardspike and two Valkyrie Wings in under 1000 runs. The Wizardspike was unceremoniously coupled with the shiny jewel and a magical 110% resist all / -15% requirements wizardspike was born.

The last important staple of an ES sorceress is her memory staff. I already had a +9 memory stitting on my LK sorc that I had played through as an ES nova-sorceress, albeit with a very small mana pool, so I was prepared. I had, however, collected more staves since I made the first ES-stick so I checked out whether I had one with other interesting staff-mods. I did have one +3ES/+2 chilling armour that would be wicked sick and save several points into the cold skills tree, but it was a zero-socket war staff. This meant that getting 4-sockets for memory would be a 1 in 6 cube socketing gamble. This was one gamble that turned out well and I shouted out loud when out came four beautiful sockets. You can see the sexy completed staff below in the equipment section.

Finally, it was time to actually start the character. I decided that I would play this character a little bit differently from my usual. This character was a sorceress, and she was above getting her hands dirty by actually striking a monster. As such, I loaded her up with some +71 mana per kill from bugged 1.07 mana per kill rings and set off. Those rings have a level requirement of 3, but as I played on /p8 getting to level 3 never actually emptied my mana pool. From level 3 on, my mana pool was fine too. Even with heavy twinking a 1.09 raven claw still rocks the world, and as this was still ranged she allowed herself to submit to the slight indignity. Normal went by fast, enhanced by the fact that the raven claw explosive arrows transmit fire damage and that her original skill plan included enchant. Nightmare also went by fast, but slower than a normal fireball sorceress would because she spread 30 points across energy shield and telekinesis which meant that her fireball was mostly fed by mass +skills.

Hell mandated her merc swap from Insight to Infinity. She had enough +skills now that her 1 point warmth combined with her large mana pool meant that the mana appetite of fireball was kept fully sated. When she entered hell her fireball was only about 6k damage even at a skill level of about 36 because of all of the points spend supporting energy shield left her synergies mostly bare. The early fallen had their immunities broken by infinity and everything died fairly rapidly. She made it to the mausoleum and then levelled up quite a lot in the easy pickings of 0% fire resist monsters. She then went on, I believe at mostly /p8, and completed the game. She had to park Lister & Co, even at /p1 because fire was useless and her merc was getting stun-locked. After kissing goodbye to Baal she returned to the mausoleum and hosted some Baal runs to get to level 89 and equip her +2/15%+FCR amulet. There wasn't much interest in Baal runs in the MP crowd at that time so she never made it past 89, but she sure was lucky in act 5. While waiting for someone to show up to her first hosted Baal run she casually killed pindle for some experience with 0% MF and casually picked up an Astreon's Iron Ward. Later, she beat bobosmrad in a race for a Windforce that dropped in the throne room.

Her PvP exploits

Her only exploits were a couple of sequential PvP games between Bassano's smiter, Ambin, and me with Sapphire. Those were long games because of his high ressits and life. The games were quite brittle with me slowly chipping away at his life until either he died, or I made a mistake in my teleporting and his charge desynched up to me which usually ended it in a few quick smites. Wins/losses were about 50/50 versus Ambin, but Ambin is known to be a scourge of the PvP scene so I wasn't worried. Besides, this character was refreshingly fun to play.

RIP Sapphire
What?! RIP? Don't you play softcore Pyro?
.......Yeeeeeeees.

Long live Sapphire

With the coming of respecs in 1.13 I came up with a brilliant plan. After my light sorceress, Tesla, made 97 I stopped playing her because her survivability was too low to not die multiple times on the way to higher levels, and she didn't have enough dexterity to wield a Wizardspike as a part of a Body Retrieval Kitâ„¢ (Trademarked by Callador ;)). I also figured, that gaining levels Baal running is much more fun when the levels are close at hand and yet after you are fully geared, say from level 90. Do you see where this is going?

Sapphire was always restricted by having so many points in energy shield and telekinesis. A fully singergized fireball sorceress takes 80 skill points plus several prerequisites. My commitment to energy shield was 34 more points including prerequisites. 80 + 34 is already over 110, the skill points that you have available at level 99. Cut that down to 100 at level 89, and a few more for the fire prerequisites, and you are severely cutting into your fireball synergies. At 89, even with level 41 fireball, my damage was only just peeking into 10k. I needed to have 20 points in fireball, as this was a fireball sorceress, and I needed to have 20 points in firebolt for a lower cost fire spell to spam while my mana recharged after a hit. This left about 20 skill points to spread between meteor and fire mastery. Meteors bonus is a synergy so only hard points count, whereas I had 21 +skills to help fire mastery, so I created a spreadsheet to optimize the damage I got from my points. It turned out that meteor should stay 4 points ahead of fire mastery for my setup and my point range, so I ended up around 12/8 meteor/fire mastery. If I could squeeze out a few more points, they should give quadratic returns for my damage but those points weren't available, or were they? Re-rolling myself a second 41+life burning skiller solidified my plans to make a swap.

I respec'd both Tesla and Sapphire in 1.13, and renamed Sapphire to T_II (Tesla 2, a weird looking face, or terminator 2 depending upon how you look at it) via ATMA. Tesla was renamed to Sapphire who was thus reborn. Long live Sapphire.

The new old Sapphire

With the jump to level 97, and by cutting out 1-point hydra + prerequisite that hadn't proved very useful, I gained 10 more skill points to stuff into meteor and fire mastery. I made another spreadsheet, this time thinking of it as a spreadsheet rather than a calculator that can hold lots of results, and it turned out that meteor should still lead fire mastery by 4 levels.

Skills:
20 Telekinesis
10 Energy Shield
20 Fireball
20 Firebolt
17 Meteor
13 Fire Mastery
1 Warmth
7 Prerequisites including Teleport
**Chilling armor gained from staff mod on memory staff**

Stats + LCS
Strength 125 (156)
Dexterity 60 (64)
Vitality 10 (47)
Energy 380 (387)

Life 677 (1286 after BO) [1340 after BO prebuffed with beta BKWBs]
Mana 2152 (3506 after BO) [3627 after BO prebuffed with beta BKWBs]

It turns out that I have pretty nice charms because I exceeded my life goal by a pretty good margin and I also met my mana goal.

Fireball damage increased about 40% from the 10 extra skill points to 12,794-13,865 and firebolt increased slightly more to 11,453-12,353. Meteor basically doubled to 25-26k.

Gear
Gives +21 fire skills, or +30 energy shield for prebuffing.

Items
Code:
Demon Horn
Circlet
Defense: 28
Durability: 21 of 35
Required Level: 67
Fingerprint: 0x102f0683
Item Level: 99
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+2 to Sorceress Skill Levels
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+4 to Dexterity
+38 to Mana
Cold Resist +25%
All Resistances +11
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Perfect Sapphire

Stone Noose
Amulet
Required Level: 89
Fingerprint: 0x7cbe2f89
Item Level: 95
+2 to Sorceress Skill Levels
+15% Faster Cast Rate
+17 to Strength
+7 to Energy
+13 to Mana
Regenerate Mana 4%

Wizardspike
Bone Knife
One Hand Damage: 23 - 49
Indestructible
Required Level: 61
Required Strength: 33
Required Dexterity: 64
Fingerprint: 0x2a3138f4
Item Level: 87
Version: Expansion
+50% Faster Cast Rate
Increase Maximum Mana 15%
+194 to Mana (Based on Character Level)
Regenerate Mana 15%
All Resistances +110
Requirements -15%
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Scintillating Jewel of Freedom

Scintillating Jewel of Freedom
Jewel
Required Level: 26
Fingerprint: 0x1f88ac15
Item Level: 80
Cold Resist +15%
Lightning Resist +15%
Fire Resist +15%
Poison Resist +15%
Requirements -15%

Spirit
Superior Monarch
TalThulOrtAmn
Defense: 163
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 81 of 95
Required Level: 54
Required Strength: 156
Fingerprint: 0x98e9b46d
Item Level: 85
+2 to All Skills
+35% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
+10% Enhanced Defense
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+22 to Vitality
+112 to Mana
Cold Resist +35%
Lightning Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
+5 Magic Absorb
Attacker Takes Damage of 14
Increase Maximum Durability 11%
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Thul Rune
Socketed: Ort Rune
Socketed: Amn Rune

Skin of the Vipermagi
Wyrmhide
Defense: 1014
Durability: 10 of 24
Required Level: 57
Required Strength: 84
Fingerprint: 0x2aa87765
Item Level: **
+1 to All Skills
+30% Faster Cast Rate
+120% Enhanced Defense
All Resistances +50
Magic Damage Reduced by 13
Required Level +7
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Um Rune

Magefist
Light Gauntlets
Defense: 25
Durability: 9 of 18
Required Level: 23
Required Strength: 45
Fingerprint: 0xd6cb8edd
+1 to Fire Skills
+20% Faster Cast Rate
Adds 1 - 6 Fire Damage
+30% Enhanced Defense
+10 Defense
Regenerate Mana 25%

Arachnid Mesh
Spiderweb Sash
Defense: 126
Durability: 4 of 12
Required Level: 80
Required Strength: 50
Fingerprint: 0xa1a275b8
+1 to All Skills
+20% Faster Cast Rate
Slows Target by 10%
+100% Enhanced Defense
Increase Maximum Mana 5%
Level 3 Venom (11/11 Charges)

Skull Gyre
Ring
Required Level: 29
Fingerprint: 0x1a8bfab7
+10% Faster Cast Rate
+89 to Mana
Fire Resist +18%
31% Extra Gold from Monsters
Level 4 Poison Dagger (30/30 Charges)

The Stone of Jordan
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x557844fb
Item Level: 94
+1 to All Skills
Adds 1 - 12 Lightning Damage
+20 to Mana
Increase Maximum Mana 25%

Sandstorm Trek
Scarabshell Boots
Defense: 177
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 64
Required Strength: 91
Fingerprint: 0x76a5832b
+20% Faster Run/Walk
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+169% Enhanced Defense
+14 to Strength
+15 to Vitality
+97 Maximum Stamina (Based on Character Level)
50% Slower Stamina Drain
Poison Resist +70%
Repairs 1 Durability in 20 Seconds
The Skull Gyre ring used for the FCR and mana plus just enough fire resist to get over 75% before 30% from Anya.

Swap/Prebuff Items
Code:
 Call to Arms
War Scepter
AmnRalMalIstOhm
One Hand Damage: 35 - 60
Durability: 70 of 70
Required Strength: 55
Fingerprint: 0x114754ae
GUID: 0xbca52e2e 0x76495a2a 0x0
Item Level: 54
+2 to All Skills
+40% Increased Attack Speed
253% Enhanced Damage
+150% Damage to Undead
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
7% Life stolen per hit
Prevent Monster Heal
+2 to Vengeance (Paladin Only)
+1 to Holy Shield (Paladin Only)
+2 to Holy Shock (Paladin Only)
+11 to Battle Cry
+15 to Battle Orders
+16 to Battle Command
Replenish Life +12
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
5 Sockets (5 used)
Socketed: Ral Rune
Socketed: Mal Rune
Socketed: Ist Rune
Socketed: Ohm Rune

Amn Rune
Required Level: 25
GUID: 0x1ab89a86 0x1ab89a86 0x0
Weapons: 7% Life stolen per hit
Armor: Attacker Takes Damage of 14
Shields: Attacker Takes Damage of 14

Ral Rune
Required Level: 19
GUID: 0xe51721bc 0x291e69b4 0x0
Weapons: Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
Armor: Fire Resist +30%
Shields: Fire Resist +35%

Mal Rune
Required Level: 49
GUID: 0x91db6a6b 0x26109b3b 0x0
Weapons: Prevent Monster Heal
Armor: Magic Damage Reduced by 7
Shields: Magic Damage Reduced by 7

Ist Rune
Required Level: 51
GUID: 0x750279ed 0xe370c0bd 0x0
Weapons: 30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Armor: 25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Shields: 25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Ohm Rune
GUID: 0x9b2cea0e 0x5b8ba2b2 0x0
Weapons: Enhanced Maximum Damage
Armor: +5% to Maximum Cold Resist
Shields: +5% to Maximum Cold Resist

Spirit
Monarch
TalThulOrtAmn
Defense: 147
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 86 of 86
Required Level: 54
Required Strength: 156
Fingerprint: 0x7a2d29ad
+2 to All Skills
+29% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+22 to Vitality
+110 to Mana
Cold Resist +35%
Lightning Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
+6 Magic Absorb
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Thul Rune
Socketed: Ort Rune

Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
Ring
Required Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0xf13f5493
Item Level: 75
+2 to All Skills
4% Life stolen per hit
+4 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+50 Maximum Stamina

Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
Ring
Required Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0xa3ea720
+2 to All Skills
5% Life stolen per hit
+4 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+50 Maximum Stamina

Memory
War Staff
LumIoSolEth
Two Hand Damage: 21 - 28
Durability: 50 of 50
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0x64d36302
+3 to Sorceress Skill Levels
+33% Faster Cast Rate
+9 to Minimum Damage
-25% Target Defense
+3 to Energy Shield (Sorceress Only)
+2 to Chilling Armor (Sorceress Only)
+2 to Static Field (Sorceress Only)
+3 to Energy Shield (Sorceress Only)
+50% Enhanced Defense
+10 to Vitality
+10 to Energy
Increase Maximum Mana 20%
Magic Damage Reduced by 7
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Lum Rune
Socketed: Io Rune
Socketed: Sol Rune
Socketed: Eth Rune
I didn't know that GoMule would output the GUID# for the runes inside of a beta runeword, but it is certainly cool that it does. 👍
I could squeeze even more points by prebuffing with a powered circlet/ammy and a +3 ES Ormus, but with 10 lightning skillers and a war staff in my stash I don't have much room left. Besides that would mean even more gear swapping and potentially forgetting to swap things back off again.

Skill Charms
Code:
 Burning Grand Charm of Balance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0xc1245662
+1 to Fire Skills (Sorceress Only)
+12% Faster Hit Recovery

Burning Grand Charm of Vita
Grand Charm
Required Level: 83
Fingerprint: 0x63df3e77
+43 to Life

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x244aa45c
+41 to Life

Grand Charm
Required Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0x8fb2488e
+37 to Life

Burning Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x67c5b560
Item Level: 81
+28 to Life

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x189c5c44
+26 to Life

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x4a4c91f5
Item Level: 77
+25 to Life

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x51aa8db6
+25 to Life

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x88fceafe
Item Level: 86
+24 to Life

Burning Grand Charm of Life
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x7521e864
+17 to Life
Plus 10 assorted lightning skillers in stash to swap in when prebuffing energy shield. Swapping 10 skillers back and forth is a pain, especially when item moving lags on others' hosts, but is worth it so long as you don't die. :D

Life/Mana Charms
Code:
 Serpent's Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 40
Fingerprint: 0xa504a590
+19 to Life
+17 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xff103390
+19 to Life
+15 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x1f280ae7
+17 to Life
+16 to Mana

Serpent's Small Charm of Sustenance
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xf2c9e779
+15 to Life
+17 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x91c19697
+14 to Life
+17 to Mana

Snake's Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0xcee965de
+18 to Life
+11 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xa0829991
+14 to Life
+14 to Mana

Serpent's Small Charm of Life
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x620939cf
+8 to Life
+16 to Mana

Serpent's Small Charm of Life
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x13e71f71
+6 to Life
+16 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x9481e51f
+11 to Life
+13 to Mana

The PvP exploits of the new Sapphire

She has only played one day in her new form but has done pretty well for herself. She is basically invulnerable to everything but poison and open wounds so long as her mana stands up. It was very funny to be at one life and neither poison nor open wounds can do the last one damage, but to then die to mind blast. It might be a good idea to socket a Sol rune into my circlet instead of a sapphire in order to stop low damage physical attacks such as MB, but then I would lose some mana and my namesake. It would only matter when I have already been taken to low life by open wounds or poison so it is probably not worth it.
I also put the perfect 13 magic damage reduction on my vipermagi to proper use for just about the first time as Darkooo's turbocharged orb-sorc did precisely zero damage to Sapphire after energy shield and MDR.

Anyways, she is good by herself and good in teams, although she can't clear the moor by herself unless she remembers to stick an Infinity on her merc. :p

Not much of a conclusion
I think that with a bit of replenish life she would be even more deadly as she could completely heal herself both life and mana, but I can't see a good way to do it other than by swapping Wizardspike for HotO. Doing that would gain me 2 plus to skills (3 minus one from losing the Stone of Jordan) and some replenish life, but I would lose 40% increased mana from Wizardspike and SoJ along with tons of resist. Maybe I'll try it some time and see how it works out. I could even fit the HotO + Bahamut's ring of the Apprentice in my cube. :scratchchin:

"I hope you enjoy pushing up daisies."
- Sapphire

Reactions: Pb_pal
All of the links are broken. Sigh.
A BvC made long before I had ever found a CoA. I later found one, with 1 socket. lol
Anyways, this BvC has pure focus on life/resists.
Also has a HAX ATMA zod-bugged Fury berserker axe that hasn't ever gotten any real use. Just sits in my stash and looks pretty.

Patriarch FluffyKitten - A PvP Barb

Whats in a name?

Well, in PvP the name of your character shows how tough, aggressive and cool you are in order to intimidate the shorts off of your opponent before they even make it onto the moor. FluffyKitten. Need I say more?
You moor dwellers had better start looking for your shorts now. :crazyeyes:

I recommend special precautions with duct tape or crazy glue before we actually meet as no one wants to see your shorts fluttering across your neighbor's porch.

Character - FluffyKitten
Level 94
Build: BvC

Skills:
Whirlwind - 20
Leap - 20
Axe Mastery - 20
Battle Orders - 20
Natural Resistance - 10
Increased Speed - 5
Berserk - 1
Pre-req's - Rest

Stats:
Strength - 48 (138) (Required strength charms until level 94 where Enigma gives 70 strength)
Dexterity - 20 (80)
Vitality - 487
Energy - Say what?!
LCS

Life total in Baal running mode: ~5.4->6.1k (varying as I gained levels and replaced strength charms with life charms)
Base life in PvP gear: 2923
After BO: 6737 (Missed my target of 7k, but I have a number of charms that I could improve so 7k is not unreachable)
Life after prebuff.
Life after proper prebuff.
Is that not enough for you? Then look no further than here:
Life after hax.
Still not enough? Man, you're insatiable.
Life after double hax.
Do you really think there's more?
My one druid only had level 1 oak sage, but luckily I had a leftover 1.07 hell-forge mule that had happened to have done Normal and Nightmare ancients in 1.07 and was level 42. This was the perfect level for equiping 10 trainer charms and some other low level +skill gear although I could have done a fair bit better with a high level druid. I spent 20 skill points in oak sage and enough strength to equip the plus to skill gear so if he ever becomes a character his build will need to have 20 oak sage and at least 58 strength. :D

End result:
Level 52 BO (cast using wolfhowl so only +3 to BO there. Needed to stick in a -requirements jewel in order to equip it and needed the dexterity from this and a warcry charm to keep using HoTO. Sill looking for a +6 BO helm for 55 BO)
Level 39 Oak sage (could have been higher with a druid above level 42 :p)
Level 18 werewolf and 19 lycanthopy via wolfhowl. (I forgot to take off my +3 warcry amulet while casting this so it could have been higher too)

18182 life. Sick.
Notice how 18181.8 rounds to 18182. :D

Gear:
Mostly a standard BvC but with an unusual duel Grief's as I don't yet have the benefit of a Beast.
With my stats favoring vitality so heavily I have mostly geared myself into a corner. No possibility of Widowmaker or BerBer CoA. 👅
Code:
Arreat's Face
Slayer Guard
'Um'
Defense: 329
Durability: 51 of 55
(Barbarian Only)
Required Strength: 118
Required Level: 47
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Fingerprint: 0xaa297e6
+20 to Strength
+20 to Dexterity
+172% Enhanced Defense
All Resistances +45
6% Life stolen per hit
+2 to Barbarian Skill Levels
30% Faster Hit Recovery
20% Bonus to Attack Rating
+2 to Combat Skills (Barbarian Only)
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Highlord's Wrath
Amulet
Required Level: 65
Item Level: 97
Fingerprint: 0xdb67dd58
Lightning Resist +35%
Adds 1-30 lightning damage
20% Increased Attack Speed
+1 to All Skill Levels
Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 15
35% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)

Grief
Berserker Axe
'EthTirLoMalRal'
One-Hand Damage: 36 to 159
Required Dexterity: 49
Required Strength: 128
Axe Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Indestructible
Item Version: Expansion
Fingerprint: 0x6221abae
Adds 5-30 fire damage
+14 Life after each Kill
40% Increased Attack Speed
Adds +390 Damage
Ignore Target Defense
-25% Target Defense
Prevent Monster Heal
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
20% Deadly Strike
35% Chance to cast Level 15 Venom on striking
176% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)
-24% to Enemy Poison Resistance
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (5: 5 used)

Grief
Superior Berserker Axe
'EthTirLoMalRal'
One-Hand Damage: 36 to 159
Required Dexterity: 49
Required Strength: 128
Axe Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Indestructible
Fingerprint: 0x6da99ad3
+2 to Attack Rating
Adds 5-30 fire damage
+13 Life after each Kill
Adds +353 Damage
Ignore Target Defense
-25% Target Defense
Prevent Monster Heal
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
20% Deadly Strike
35% Chance to cast Level 15 Venom on striking
176% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)
-21% to Enemy Poison Resistance

Call to Arms
War Scepter
'AmnRalMalIstOhm'
One-Hand Damage: 35 to 60
Mace Class - Fastest Attack Speed
+253% Enhanced Damage
Adds 5-30 fire damage
7% Life stolen per hit
Replenish Life +12
+11 to Battle Cry
+15 to Battle Orders
+16 to Battle Command
Prevent Monster Heal
150% Damage to Undead
+2 to All Skill Levels
Socketed (5: 5 used)

Heart of the Oak
Flail
'KoVexPulThul'
One-Hand Damage: 1 to 24
Durability: 30 of 30
Required Dexterity: 35
Required Strength: 41
Required Level: 55
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xae9e378a
+10 to Dexterity
All Resistances +30
Adds 3-14 cold damage over 3 seconds
7% Mana stolen per hit
Replenish Life +20
Increase Maximum Mana 15%
40% Faster Cast Rate
75% Damage to Demons
150% Damage to Undead
+100 to Attack Rating against Demons
+3 to All Skill Levels
Level 4 Oak Sage (25/25 Charges)
Level 14 Raven (60/60 Charges)
Socketed (4: 4 used)

Enigma
Light Plate
'JahIthBer'
Defense: 857
Durability: 52 of 60
Required Strength: 41
Fingerprint: 0xcc8725f5
+750 Defense
Damage Reduced by 8%
Increase Maximum Life 5%
+14 Life after each Kill
45% Faster Run/Walk
+1 to Teleport
15% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
+2 to All Skill Levels
+70 to Strength (Based on Character Level)
94% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level)
Socketed (3: 3 used)

Trang-Oul's Claws
Heavy Bracers
Defense: 74
Durability: 8 of 16
Required Strength: 58
Required Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0x5d1da035
+30 Defense
Cold Resist +30%
20% Faster Cast Rate
+2 to Curses (Necromancer Only)
+25% to Poison Skill Damage

Arachnid Mesh
Spiderweb Sash
Defense: 124
Durability: 9 of 12
Required Level: 80
Fingerprint: 0xf737d1b8
+97% Enhanced Defense
Increase Maximum Mana 5%
20% Faster Cast Rate
+1 to All Skill Levels
Slows Target by 10%
Level 3 Venom (7/11 Charges)

Raven Frost
Ring
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0xda64e942
+20 to Dexterity
+40 to Mana
+243 to Attack Rating
Adds 15-45 cold damage over 4 seconds
20% Cold Absorb
Cannot Be Frozen

Raven Frost
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x632b5c3d
+20 to Dexterity
+40 to Mana
+238 to Attack Rating
20% Cold Absorb
Cannot Be Frozen

Wraith Stalker
Chain Boots
Defense: 14
Durability: 12 of 16
Required Strength: 30
Fingerprint: 0x93a118f5
+49% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +36%
Lightning Resist +14%
18% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
30% Faster Run/Walk
10% Faster Hit Recovery

If this looks to you like it has no mana leach you are correct. For questing and leveling I used a 1.07 M'avina's Tenet for its 40% faster run/walk and 14% mana leach and gore riders for more deadly strike, open wounds and the all important crushing blow instead of Arach and rare boots respectively.

Low life leach was also a problem when facing high damage monsters such as Llister as I could survive for a long time with my high life but the red would slowly but surely slip away. Halfway through level 93 I came up with the idea of swapping in Dracul's while Baal running by myself (I needed the FCR on trang's while teleporting for MP Baals) and with the extra leach everything that didn't have mana-burn became a chump.

For Baal running Emilio, a might merc, used Vampire Gaze, Fortitude and switched between Reapers (became eth Reapers after I traded for one) while running Baal myself, and insight while teleporting for MP Baals.

PvP Charms:
Life: 625
AR: 623
+Max Damage: +14
Resist all: 28%
Resist Fire: 31%
Resist Lightning: 20%
Resist Cold: 21%
Mana: 32
FHR: 5%

PvM charms were significantly less as I kept 2x4 open and carried two tomes.

His life story:

Normal went by quickly with khalims flail + envy equipment to 1.09 raven claw to perfect Bloodletters. Nightmare became somewhat annoying as my base strength was 48 so I needed an inventory full of strength charms to even equip an eth Oath small crescent and a butchers cleaver.
At level 65 I could finally equip all of my end game gear (save arachnid mesh which wasn't used for questing or leveling), albeit still with a large number of strength charms.

Hell was a breeze. I had over 5k life and growing and the damage and speed of my attack were ridiculous. Even the dreaded chaos sanctuary was a piece of cake. With maxed leap my knock back radius covered the entire screen. Combined with teleport I was able to position myself and my mercenary freely while keeping monsters in constant hit recovery from leap and I could quietly segregate and assassinate all oblivion knights before raping everything else.

This strategy also worked extremely well during Baal runs such that in my journey to 94 I died exactly twice to IM. The first time was on WSK 3 where I whirled through a group of demon sprites and then was suddenly cursed with IM from off the screen. The first sign that the map had spawned with oblivion knights was that I was dead. The second time was due to Achmel or one of his minions resurrecting an oblivion knight while I was whirling. After this I became more careful around mummies while there were oblivion knight corpses on the floor. Sadly while Berserk does wonders while under threat of IM mummies are immune to magic.

My two saviors for the long journey to 94 and no longer using any strength charms were these as they provided solid benefits at the later stages ie. levels 89+:
Code:
Shimmering Small Charm of Strength
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Fingerprint: 0x52e9301e
+2 to Strength
All Resistances +5

Steel Grand Charm of Strength
Required Level: 41
Fingerprint: 0x501f67fa
+4 to Strength
+129 to Attack Rating

Notable finds:
Ghostflame (today on second last Baal run)
Halaberd's Reign (dropped for Zylo who must have been snoozing :sleep:)

Notable finds that dropped for others during MP Baals:
Darkforce Spawn
Horizon's Tornado

Lastly, to everyone who asked in MP Baals where Anya was: She gave me the cold shoulder so I dumped her.
(Rather I never went near the frozen river in any difficulty in order to avoid confusion due to the Anya Bug.)

Next project:
Finish off some other characters that deserve a group Pat thread.
Remake my Javazon who currently has 256 strength. :whistling:

It looks like I need more attitude and greater verbosity before my Pat threads become [highlight]liq[/highlight]uacious.
And no, there is no pyro-mobile to run off to.

Rollover damage in SP: A very short Mat thread

Two weeks ago I mat'd my bearsorc, Teddybear. She was great fun to play once she got her final gear at the low low level of 67. One or two-hitting anything not immune to lightning even at /p8 was great fun. Her merc had infinity, but she had not room in her gear for any -%enemy lightning resists so broken immunities still had 95+% lightning resist. Lightning immunes weren't a problem, however, because enchant + infinity on a 5-frame attack is still a very fast killer. Her gear was almost identical to Naab's classic ManBearPig with two changes: Chains of Honor instead of Enigma and T-Gods instead of Arachnid Mesh.

The magic that powers a dual-dream (or even a single dream) sorceress is the fact that lightning mastery enhances holy shock. In fact, it enhances it twice. The base, level 30, holy shock aura provided by dual-dreams adds 1-1668 lightning damage to your attack. This is multiplied by lightning mastery such that the level 30 aura adds (1-1668) * (100% + 400+% lightning mastery) or 5 - 8300+ lightning damage. Next, when you use a physical attack any lightning damage is multiplied again by lightning mastery. Your attack then becomes 25+ to 41 000+ lightning damage. When you add more +skills this number rises rapidly because of the square of the lightning mastery bonus being applied. For my questing setup adding one more plus to skill gave me between two and three thousand more max damage. Another one would give me another 3 000 max. Because of this it was quite hard to resist adding just one more plus to skill. Its the same thing that happens with enchant, except that holy shock does more damage and lightning mastery has a much larger enhancement than fire mastery.

Screenshot of questing setup at a low level with a skill shrine. Her normal damage was 4.5k - 56k without a skill shrine and at a slightly higher level. I don't have a screenshot with base stats and I don't have her gear any more. :p She did make it over 4k life in the mid-80's.

I was quite surprised that I very rarely had to chug any potions despite having no leach. Until the 80's she would usually gain levels and reset her life before taking more than half her bulb in damage. T-gods did its job well and made gloams into happy helpful healers. The confuse proc's on the dreams went off quite often, but I don't know if they were helpful because everything died so fast.

After a mad rush through hell, enhanced by MP with some crazy characters such as Jaedhann's doom-polearm werewolf, I made it to matriarch. Our group was somewhat disapointed that it took 25 seconds to kill Baal at /p8, but we were all using melee attacks and Baal has 50% block so we were bound to have trouble comparing to auto-hit attacks such as charged strike or spells.

She still has a bunch of skill points leftover and I haven't a clue on what to use them on. I guess it doesn't matter any more. ;)

Even though she was so much fun to quest, there is no real purpose for a bear-sorc other than the 'lulz'. I did decide to load her up with +skills along with the 3/20% light Escuta's she found while questing and see how much damage she could get. The damage rollover point in 1.11+ on a melee attack is 83k, and I was able to get a silly 6k-84k, 16+ frame, monster of a bearform attack. When you 1-hit just about everything even a 16-frame attack seems fast. :D The rollover point might be 83k per damage type (I'm fairly sure it is), but getting normal attack to deal 84k max damage is still pretty cool.

For a while when questing I used an annoying collection of shimmering small charms of storms that I had collected. The collection was annoying because shimmering small charms of storms are 4-times rarer than a shimmering of vita and yet I have found three shimmering of storms (two 5% and a 4%) along with a 5% shimmering of thunder and I have never found a shimmering of vita. :hammerhead: Anyways, these charms weren't the slightest bit helpful because their damage was only multiplied once by lightning mastery and so all four of them only added about 20 - 600 damage to my attack and this meager amount was lost in the LCS damage rounding. :p

A few days ago I mat'd my PvP faithazon. She was more powerful than I expected (my low opinion of bowazons was why it took ridiculous gear for me to attempt my first bowazon since 1.09 :p), but by the time that act 4 rolled around at /p8 things slowed down to what I expected. She was a fun and refreshing way to end my D2 questing days, but I don't have anything new or exciting to say about her which is why she is only getting a paragraph at the bottom of a different Mat thread. Maybe you should meet her on the moor and get your tongue pierced. 👅

Keep trucking,
Pyro

Patriarch Kricket - Yet another Exile-adin

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

If that hasn't made the source for the name painfully obvious I don't know what will.

Kricket is the home planet of some robots that try to take over the universe by whacking things with rods. Zealot. Enough said.

LCS + Gear

I didn't follow the theme very far because the Kricket robots are suposed to be smooth and white, while this character is mean and UGLY.

Skills:
20 Zeal
20 Sacrifice
20 Fanaticism
20 Holy Shield
A couple each in Defiance and Vengeance. Vengeance was pretty weak as a PI killer and I pumped it to give it a little boost.

My weapon progression was: Khalim's Will -> 1.09 Ravenclaw (my first time using it and it sure is a cannon) -> Bloodletter -> Eth small crescent Oath -> Eth 1.07 Berserker axe Oath -> Eth 1.07 Berserker Axe Death

The berserker axe death and oath have the same requirements so why did I not go straight to death?
The answer to this is in my equipment choices.

Final Gear
Code:
Andariel's Visage
Demonhead
Defense: 385
Durability: 17 of 20
Required Strength: 102
Fingerprint: 0x28fb5d1f
+26 to Strength
+149% Enhanced Defense
+11 to Maximum Damage
Fire Resist -18%
Lightning Resist +12%
Cold Resist +12%
Poison Resist +82%
+10% to Maximum Poison Resist
10% Life stolen per hit
+2 to All Skill Levels
15% Chance to cast Level 15 Poison Nova when struck
Level 3 Venom (20/20 Charges)
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Highlord's Wrath
Amulet
Item Level: 97
Fingerprint: 0xdb67dd58
Lightning Resist +35%
Adds 1-30 lightning damage
+1 to All Skill Levels
Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 15
32% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)

Death
Superior Berserker Axe
'HelElVexOrtGul'
One-Hand Damage: 171 to 556
Required Dexterity: 37
Required Strength: 100
Axe Class - Normal Attack Speed
Indestructible
Fingerprint: 0x6da99ad3
+375% Enhanced Damage
+52 to Attack Rating
Adds 1-50 lightning damage
7% Mana stolen per hit
+1 to Light Radius
Requirements -20%
20% Bonus to Attack Rating
50% Chance of Crushing Blow
Indestructible
25% Chance to cast Level 18 Glacial Spike on attack
100% Chance to cast Level 44 Chain Lightning When You Die
Level 22 Blood Golem (15/15 Charges)
43% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)

Fortitude
Archon Plate
'ElSolDolLo'
Defense: 1554
Durability: 57 of 60
Required Strength: 103
Required Level: 63
Fingerprint: 0xdd31e785
+200% Enhanced Defense
+300% Enhanced Damage
+15 Defense
Damage Reduced by 7
Fire Resist +27%
Lightning Resist +27%
+5% to Maximum Lightning Resist
Cold Resist +27%
Poison Resist +27%
Replenish Life +7
+1 to Light Radius
25% Faster Cast Rate
12% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
20% Chance to cast Level 15 Chilling Armor when struck
+87 to Life (Based on Character Level)

Exile
Sacred Targe
'VexOhmIstDol'
Defense: 1197
Chance to Block:  60%
Smite Damage: 22 to 70
Durability: 23 of 23
(Paladin Only)
Required Strength: 76
Item Level: 79
Fingerprint: 0xbbb99d87
+249% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +45%
+5% to Maximum Fire Resist
Lightning Resist +45%
Cold Resist +45%
+5% to Maximum Cold Resist
Poison Resist +45%
Replenish Life +7
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
30% Faster Block Rate
Freezes Target +1
Level 14 Defiance Aura When Equipped
+2 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
15% Chance to cast Level 5 Life Tap on striking
Repairs 1 durability in 4 seconds
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (4: 4 used)

Call to Arms
War Scepter
'AmnRalMalIstOhm'
One-Hand Damage: 35 to 60
Mace Class - Fastest Attack Speed
+253% Enhanced Damage
Adds 5-30 fire damage
7% Life stolen per hit
Replenish Life +12
+11 to Battle Cry
+15 to Battle Orders
+16 to Battle Command
Prevent Monster Heal
150% Damage to Undead
+2 to All Skill Levels
Socketed (5: 5 used)

Spirit
Superior Sacred Targe
'TalThulOrtAmn'
Defense: 158
Chance to Block:  60%
Smite Damage: 22 to 70
Durability: 49 of 50
(Paladin Only)
Required Strength: 86
Item Level: 79
Fingerprint: 0x5f18ba10
+22 to Vitality
+105 to Mana
+250 Defense vs. Missile
Fire Resist +45%
Lightning Resist +80%
Cold Resist +80%
Poison Resist +80%
Increase Maximum Durability 11%
55% Faster Hit Recovery
35% Faster Cast Rate
+2 to All Skill Levels
+5 Magic Absorb

Laying of Hands
Bramble Mitts
Defense: 79
Durability: 11 of 12
Required Level: 63
Fingerprint: 0x34730d20
+25 Defense
Fire Resist +50%
350% Damage to Demons
10% Chance to cast Level 3 Holy Bolt on striking

Thundergod's Vigor
War Belt
Defense: 138
Durability: 23 of 24
Required Strength: 110
Fingerprint: 0xe6ef05d7
+20 to Strength
+20 to Vitality
+161% Enhanced Defense
+10% to Maximum Lightning Resist
Adds 1-50 lightning damage
+3 to Lightning Fury (Amazon Only)
+3 to Lightning Strike (Amazon Only)
+20 Lightning Absorb
5% Chance to cast Level 7 Fist of the Heavens when struck

Natalya's Soul
Mesh Boots
Defense: 147
Durability: 63 of 66
Required Strength: 65
Fingerprint: 0xa241e800
+105 Defense
Lightning Resist +25%
Cold Resist +25%
+50 Maximum Durability
40% Faster Run/Walk
Heal Stamina Plus 21% (Based on Character Level)

Raven Frost
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x632b5c3d
+20 to Dexterity
+40 to Mana
+238 to Attack Rating
20% Cold Absorb
Cannot Be Frozen

Dread Grip
Ring
Required Level: 48
Fingerprint: 0xf503ce61
+39 to Attack Rating
Fire Resist +10%
Lightning Resist +27%
Cold Resist +10%
Poison Resist +10%
5% Mana stolen per hit
+5 to Light Radius
5% Bonus to Attack Rating
12% Chance to cast Level 4 Charged Bolt when struck

My gear choices revolved around four priorities:
1) Get enough IAS to have a 4-frame attack with a slow 'Death'
2) Damage!
3) Resists
4) Attack rating
I was originally planing to put faster hit recovery on this list, but I was rarely hit and zeal is uninterpretable anyways.

With all of the runewords I was using there was left little room for a couple of IAS jewels to get the needed IAS.
If I had a Crown of Ages I would have used that with some nice AR/IAS jewels and would have looked cool, but I don't so I decided to look like a muskox and wear Andariel's Visage.
This piece of gear has the much needed 20% IAS, but only comes at level 83. This is why I used the much faster Oath berserker axe before switching to death once I got to level 83.

Exile was super styling and super powerful. Its a good thing that it is restricted to only one class because the ethereal bug is stupid good with exile.

My unorthodox choice in gear was my boots. They were chosen because of the 40% faster run/walk and because they had perfect resists. Gore Rider's would have been the better choice, but I didn't want to use resistance charms. As you will see in a moment that goal failed anyways.

Charms:
Code:
Forked Grand Charm of Quality
Required Level: 22
Item Level: 46
Fingerprint: 0x5b45d88d
+23 to Maximum Damage

Stout Grand Charm of Maiming
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0x3f5200d4
+19 to Maximum Damage
+10 Defense

Sharp Grand Charm of Craftmanship
Required Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0x1a57c8a7
+75 to Attack Rating
+18 to Maximum Damage

Steel Grand Charm of Quality
Fingerprint: 0x13468d94
+97 to Attack Rating
+13 to Maximum Damage

Serrated Grand Charm of Inertia
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0x2a7b6aab
+19 to Maximum Damage
7% Faster Run/Walk

Steel Grand Charm of Balance
Required Level: 41
Fingerprint: 0xf7a423a8
+130 to Attack Rating
12% Faster Hit Recovery

Russet Large Charm of Quality
Required Level: 30
Fingerprint: 0x3e40bd07
+8 to Maximum Damage
Fire Resist +12%

Forked Large Charm of Maiming
Fingerprint: 0x2b2f6eb0
+18 to Maximum Damage

Fine Small Charm of Sustenance
Fingerprint: 0x126eae07
+14 to Life
+19 to Attack Rating
+3 to Maximum Damage

Fine Small Charm of Sustenance
Fingerprint: 0x86ecd823
+12 to Life
+14 to Attack Rating
+3 to Maximum Damage

Small Charm of Maiming
Required Level: 43
Fingerprint: 0x4508e9
+6 to Maximum Damage

Small Charm of Maiming
Required Level: 43
Fingerprint: 0x1efaaee8
+6 to Maximum Damage

Ruby Small Charm
Required Level: 32
Fingerprint: 0x9882bd4e
Fire Resist +11%

Ruby Small Charm
Required Level: 32
Fingerprint: 0x64dd3ff4
Fire Resist +11%

Let me add up the major bonuses from charms:
+Max: 136
+AR: 335
Fire resist: 24%

I could have squeezed in about 30 more +max but that would have cut out a big chunk of AR and I needed it with no ITD or -%defense.

As it is 2.8k to 12k Zeal with 75% deadly strike and 50% crushing blow is pretty sweet but I could always use more damage and hit more accurately. Combat shrines were entertaining as they took my AR from 7500 to 52K. With that much AR I hit everything I came across 95%.

With life tap, amazing damage, great resists, 32k defense (with chilling armor from fortitude), max block and fairly high life one would think that my only deaths would be to IM. Instead I knew I had a tank and sought out war zones. So I died. A lot.

I only died to IM once and it was in nightmare when I wanted to see whether I could survive using vengeance while under IM. At that point I had 2k-10K vengeance which was mostly physical. The experiment failed :p.

In fact the only time I died due to bad luck was getting insta-killed in the crystalline passage by an Unholy corpse. The rest of my deaths were from being over confidant.

As I am coming to the end I realize that I have yet to talk about my mercenary. He was obviously a might merc and he wore Reapers Toll, Eth-Duriels shell, and a Vampire gaze.

I liked the overlap of curses as they would alternate from 1 hit fills life bulb to extra damage and back.

My last comment is that when Holy bolt from Laying of Hands, and Glacial spike from death both go off at the same time as you kill a monster the animations line up so that you have a shooting star. It looks so cool, but was too rare for me to catch with a screen shot. This only worked when hitting the killing blow on the last monster in a pack as otherwise the projectiles hit something and you don't see anything.

Okay this is really my last comment. Why are berserker axes so small on your character and yet hit so far? I spent most of my time killing things by hitting air!

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High