Presenting Patriarch Patrick the what am I today Ranger.

Jan 1, 2011
I call him the what am I today ranger because of all the changes he went through on his journey. This is also not the ideal build for me as I frequently lack the patience to pick a distant target and stay out of the scrum of battle and this will get a Ranger dead real quick.

Full disclosure: In Rane’s 2006 Ranger Guide it says “you can take a 'Ranger' with any pulse aura and a cracked hunters bow through Nightmare with pulse damage alone.” I’m not sure that I agree with that but they are rather easy in Normal and Nightmare and don’t need uber gear. Hell is a differnt mater. I got frustrated a number of time and put him on hold till I had run another character Instead of my first Paladin patriarch he is my fourth.

I found him when I came back from a 10-year layoff of D2. He was at the River of Flame in Normal at level 27 and was untwinked along with an untwinked blessed aim merc. It was obvious looking at his skill points that he hadn’t started out as a Ranger, but that at some point I decided to make him one.

His equipment and the poor point distribution, plus my rusty game play, made him difficult to advance at players 8, but I persisted. I gave him the best equipment I could give him and I did some leveling runs to get him to 33. At which point I equipped a near perfect Kuko and tried to get past Diablo. Well, I beat Diablo but died 4 times in doing so! Act 5 was much easier and I got Baal without dying, though I did have to return to buy more pots about 3 times.

Nightmare saw me Respec him to be a straight Ranger using Fire and Fanaticism. I thought about doing fire and holy freeze, but finally decided on Fanaticism. That makes him a Hellwrath Ranger according to an old table that I found. Act 1 was a breeze. Come Act 2 and my very low resistances caught up with me. A 1 for lightning immunity doesn’t work in Act 2! So, I did some equipment changes that resulted in giving up 8-146 in fire damage, but ended up getting my resists up and adding life leach. One of the changes was putting on a Delirium Tiara that is fun to watch

Weapons
A Shaeled Kuko for the Holy Fire
A Harmony great bow for the Fanaticism

Nightmare forge dropped an Um! That makes up for just about all of the struggles. Ran the river of flame a few times to get to level 67 and put on a Mara’s Kaleidoscope.

Diablo went down without me dying. I had to go back to town and get more arrows and revive my merc, but I didn’t die. I also used the Valkyrie from the Harmony bow and while she died a lot, she was easy to recast and helped control Diablo. Also, while it took a lot of arrows Diablo was slowed by all of the cold damage from the arrows.

Act 5 started off poorly, no deaths, but until I got to Shenk all of the monsters were burning dead archers with a few demon imps thrown in. Used the socket quest to socket the Demon machine and dumped a fire facet in it.

On the way to kill Nilhlathak a Pul dropped. He also went down fairly easily.

The ancients seem to be a bit much for Players 8 and ended up changing the setting to Players 4 and they went down without a problem. I didn’t use the Valkyrie and probably should have tried using her before switching off players 8.

Back to P8 for the world stone keep. Minions went down fairly easy. The fire didn’t seem to work that well with Lister and his bunch so switch to the Harmony bow and fanatism and they went down fairly quickly. Started with a full quiver and cast the Valkyrie before going for Baal. He took almost the full quiver, but went down without having to pop a single purple pot. Only had to cast the Valkyrie once and between her and the merc they held Baal in a corner and I just popped away.

On to Hell and the start of all my troubles.

First, my plan to handle my resistance was to equip Kira's Guardian which requires level 77 and I was only a 75. Rather than simple going back to nightmare and leveling or dumping in a lot of charms I decide to trek on with resistances below 50%.

Second is the fact that there are plenty of fire immunes, such as the fallen. This means that the exploding bolts from Demon Machine don’t work all that well and it is now very easy to get mobbed.

The worst was the moldy Tower. Died about 6 times trying to get through the first door on level 1. Turns out that there were at least 2 boss packs of archers. I kept trying and finally got my body back, but then quit. The second time I tried I got all of the way through and the countess dropped 3 mediocre runes.

As a result, I do what I should have done when I first reached Hell, I went back to nightmare and players 8 and level to 77. First, I buffed up the Merc. I put The Reaper’s Toll and a Duress armor on him. He is now more durable at least in nightmare. Ran Baal again and he went down faster. Will have to see what happens once I move back to Hell.

Still problems in Hell and wish I had read poopie_pants report on Foba Bett and Cloak of Shadows, but even with Cos he said that he died frequently. After getting my Griswold Avenger through Hell with a Holy Freeze merc I decided to go back to Nightmare once again and trade in my blessed aim merc for a Holy freeze merc.

I also made a couple of other big decisions on what to do with the runes (Sur, Lo, Ohm and Jah) that I’d found running the Countess and Travincal with my frenzy barb. I decided to make a Faith bow and Fortitude armor. And after further thought I decided to stay with the Holy fire and demon machine for one Aura, but to change the fanaticism aura to conviction for use with the Faith bow which luckly rolled with level 15 fanaticism.

This should have all combined to give me a good potent combination. However, Demon machine didn’t seem to be living up to expectations even for the non-fire immune. After scratching my head for a while, I finally figured out that I screwed up the respect and instead of maxing Holy fire I had maxed Blessed Aim.

This essentially reduced me to a single attack using the Faith bow for fanaticism and Conviction. Thankfully, it is a very good combination and when you couple it with a Holy freeze merc using reaper’s toll and a delirium helm. The combination was capable of getting me through Hell.

I don’t remember at what point I killed Andariel, but I also don’t remember her as being that difficult. The 7 tombs in Act 2 were difficult and I ended up just doing Tal Rasha’s true tomb. Duriel wasn’t that great a battle. Let the merc die to soon and went back to get him. Then fed him pots while shooting Duriel in the back.

Act 3 was actually very easy, no deaths. One of the things I did with a socket quest was to socket the Reapers and put in a 40% ED jewel. No dolls on the way to Mephisto and the merc stood toe to toe with Mephisto and died just before Mephisto and that was without giving him a single purple pot.

Act 4 wasn’t bad as there were no gloams in the Plains of Despair. Izual wasn’t that bad. I’ve had longer battles. Maybe as payment for all of my problems the Hell Forge dropped an Ist. The Armorer was a tough nut to crack the hardest in recent memory.

I decided to make an additional change before entering the Chaos sanctuary I put Chains of Honor on the merc to bring his lighting resistance to 75% and increase his life leach to 15%. The Chaos Sanctuary was filled with Oblivion Knights, but I don’t think I saw a single IM. I was ready for Diablo to be a long, long battle, but he wasn’t. I think putting CoH on the Merc paid dividends. He stood toe to toe with Diablo and only needed two purple pots to outlast the big D. I stood just off the crest of the seal center and popped away at Diablo and I also only took 2 purple pots, more out of caution than need. I was surprised by how quickly he died; he never left the top of the seal.

Act5

Well, the bloody Foothills were full of skeleton archers and used a bunch of purple pots, but got through to Shrenk. Got nothing from him.

I was really looking to end this journey and I did partial clears of Frigid Highlands and Arreat Plateau and a full clear of the Crystalline Passage. All three had been fairly easy. When I came back the Passage was full of PI frenzytaurs, archers and vipers. I fought through to the underground river only to find it full of gloams, ghosts and succubus. I only had 80% Lightning immunity and it wasn’t enough. Quit and tried again to find almost the same populations. Quit and backed all the way out to get Thundergod’s vigor and another ring with life leach. This time the passage was much easier, no frenzytaurs and while the underground river was still full of gloams my resists were 90% and there were no succubus. Freed Anya and then went and killed Nihlathak. The first two level were not that hard. In fact, the second was easy. The bottom level was full of skeleton archers and ghosts, so popped many purple pots. Nihlathak himself was fairly easy. Not many of his group came up front where I was waiting between runs to attract them and I think that on at least one of those runs the merc cast confuse and Nihlathak cast corpse explosion and ended up killing most of his own troops.

Again trying to speed things up I just ran the edge of the frozen tundra to get to the Ancient’s way. It had frenzytaurs and vipers, but really wasn’t that hard to clear. I was anticipating a long battle with the Ancients. The first time I got cornered and died. The second time I was more careful on my positioning and between pumping the merc with 2 or 3 purple pots we took the ancients down in what I thought was fairly quick fashion.

The World Stone Keep level 1 was full of Cantors and frenzytaurs and wasn’t that difficult to clear. The second level was full of gloams and the third level was Oblivion knight and gloams. Thankfully I left Thundergod’s vigor on and we got through all three levels of the keep without either one of us dying. The one advantage of using a bow as your main weapon, you don't even think about IM

The throne was a different matter. I died 3 times to a pack of frenzytaurs just inside the doorway. The level was full of frenzytaurs and Oblivion Knights, but no more deaths. Then for some reason Baal didn’t want to send his waves. Made sure that the room was clear and still no waves. Went out and ran the full level checking and no other monsters. It ended up I had to pick up everything and run around the area each time to get him to cast a wave. Merc died to the second and third waves but we got through it. Thought we were doing good against Baal and suddenly I died. What got me I don’t know. So back to the WSK level 2 waypoint again. This time Baal went down after feeding the merc a number of purple pots.

The forge drops in Nightmare and Hell were very nice Um/Ist but not much else since he didn’t have much magic find. Just 4 items of any note: Djinn Slayer, Frostwind (from Baal), Nord's Tenderizer and Tal Rasha's Adjudication.

Patrick will go back on the shelf , but I will probably play another Ranger and hopefully this time I will get the skill distribution right from the beginning!
Here are the stats on him and his gear.

Name: Patrick
Class: Paladin
Experience: 946215767
Level: 83

Naked/Gear
Strength: 112/142
Dexterity: 198/220
Vitality: 180/210
Energy: 15/15
HP: 744/983
Mana: 138/178
Stamina: 326/326
Defense: 49/2053
AR: 975/416885

Fire: 208/168/108
Cold: 209/169/109
Lightning: 233/193/133
Poison: 187/147/87

MF: 79 Block: 37
GF: 185
FR/W: 25
FHR: 25
IAS: 20
FCR: 35

Sacrifice: 0/0
Smite: 0/0
Holy Bolt: 0/0
Zeal: 0/0
Charge: 0/0
Vengeance: 0/0
Blessed Hammer: 0/0
Conversion: 0/0
Holy Shield: 0/0
Fist of the Heavens: 0/0

Might: 1/4
Holy Fire: 10/13
Thorns: 1/4
Blessed Aim: 20/23
Concentration: 0/0
Holy Freeze: 1/4
Holy Shock: 0/0
Sanctuary: 1/4
Fanaticism: 0/0
Conviction: 20/23

Prayer: 0/0
Resist Fire: 20/24
Defiance: 0/0
Resist Cold: 0/0
Cleansing: 0/0
Resist Lightning: 0/0
Vigor: 0/0
Meditation: 0/0
Redemption: 0/0
Salvation: 20/24

Kira's Guardian
Tiara
Defense: 105
Durability: 25 of 25
Required Level: 77
Fingerprint: 0xfe66ebcc
Item Level: 87
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+57 Defense
All Resistances +70
Cannot Be Frozen

Seraph's Hymn
Amulet
Required Level: 65
Fingerprint: 0xbb3f8b07
+2 to All Skills
+1 to Defensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
+34% Damage to Demons
+246 to Attack Rating against Demons
+47% Damage to Undead
+216 to Attack Rating against Undead
+2 to Light Radius

Fortitude
Superior Wire Fleece
ElSolDolLo
Defense: 1533
Durability: 32 of 32
Required Level: 59
Required Strength: 111
Fingerprint: 0x733dae0b
Item Level: 85
20% Chance to cast level 15 Chilling Armor when struck
+25% Faster Cast Rate
300% Enhanced Damage
+215% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
+83 to Life (Based on Character Level)
Replenish Life +7
+5% to Maximum Lightning Resist
All Resistances +30
Damage Reduced by 7
12% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
+1 to Light Radius
4 Sockets (4 used)

Dread Gyre
Ring
Required Level: 65
Fingerprint: 0x119b9f63
Item Level: 88
+10% Faster Cast Rate
+80 to Attack Rating
8% Life stolen per hit
Lightning Resist +17%
Poison Resist +18%

Raven Frost
Ring
Required Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0x238320f9
+220 to Attack Rating
Adds 15 - 45 Cold Damage Over 4 Secs (100 Frames)
+19 to Dexterity
+40 to Mana
Cold Absorb 20%
Cannot Be Frozen

Thundergod's Vigor
War Belt
Defense: 148
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Level: 47
Required Strength: 110
Fingerprint: 0x846cbe93
Item Level: 85