Poison Necro for Noobs (Take #2)

AlienChild

Jul 4, 2003
Poison Necro for Noobs (Take #2)

Ok first post got corrupted, so this is a simplified repost. Please reply to this even if you replied to my last one as I only saw the posts from Gvandale and Mad Mantis (names from memory). I noticed that MelFrank had posted but can't see it :(

Basically I want to start a SC ladder poison necro from almost nothing. I already created a skellie mancer and levelled him all the way to hell Act 5 - about to do Anya and the Ancients. (first have to try to figure out how to stop those damn phys. immune Moon lords from decimating my skeleton army even with decrep - but thats maybe a topic for another post.)

Initial feedback I have had is that a poison necro is not viable without uber equipment, because of the large numbers of poison immunes in hell. I am hoping this is wrong and there are effective ways of countering this using merc/curses/CE.

Lets hear from those people that have trodden the poison necro route!

the beauty of mr. necro is that there IS a way to counter everything. now while I'm not the most knowledgeable about venomancer's, I'll try my best.

1. Curses. While they may not kill fast or even effeciently, you can chalk up a death or two to curses. Attract / amp / confuse...

2. Run. Slap out some some bone wall / prison and run like your on COPS (sings bad boys bad boys, wutcha gon do, watcha gon do when dey com fo u?)

3. Lower one of your synergies to Poison Nova, and use Bone Spear / Spirit? I haven't checked exact numbers, but sounds pheasable to me!

*edit* I looked at the numbers:
MAX Poison Nova
MAX Poison Explosion
MAX Poison Dagger
Max Bone Spirit or Spear (whichever you prefer. Spirit does more dmg)
1 Bone Armor
1 Bone Wall
0 Bone Prison (use marrowalks)
1 ea curse
That takes you to lvl 82'ish

Now, use marrowalks with no points in bone prison, max bone spirit, and you get: 1074-1166 bone spirit damage (lvl 20 bone spirit / lvl 1 teeth / lvl 1 bone armor / lvl 1 bone wall / lvl 1 bone spear). So you'd get more with +skills gear so the initial lvl of spirit is higher, thus more dmg.

str for gear
dex for 75% block (you'd need block)
vit rest
nrg 100'ish (depending on gear really)

hope this helps.

g

:yep:

gvandale said:
2. Run. Slap out some some bone wall / prison and run like your on COPS (sings bad boys bad boys, wutcha gon do, watcha gon do when dey com fo u?)

lol...A necro running from cops...thats too rich.

*cops start shooting when the necro points his wand*

*necro recasts bone armor*.

Hmmm...for the poster... your biggest problems will definitely be poison immunes and the undead. Yes, most undead are immune to poison, but even the non-immune UD have annoyingly high poison resists, and absolutely having to revert to LR limits you a little, as in no confusing or decrepifying for you. If you can find a good weapon to pop on the nec's merc it'll be meat and gravy, i'd personally suggest a holyfreeze merc from act 2 for this build. A point into CE with some +skills will get you far :D. Use a golem, clay for tanking and slow, and I'd actually advocate fire golem for this build b/c I was testing with him a little and he does attract the attention of the monsters, but unfortunately he usually cannot take the heat he attracts (Ironic eh?). Useful though if you need to LR and keep them off of you as well. Clay Golem will most likely be the more useful of the two though, I just find that Fire Golem is superior to clay in certain situations. 1 point into both golems with 1 point into golem mastery with a few +skills will be efficient. The holy freeze merc will act as your "mini-decrep" much in the same way that your fire golem may act as your "mini-attract". Since you plan on using mainly poison he'll be your offence against the poison immune. Decrep + Clay golem + his HF aura work quite nicely here.

Damn Necrochild, that was an annoying piece of info. Next time use some "enter".

@AlienChild

To combat the immunities the best thing you can do, besides using some piece of Uber equipment, is using your curses and CE.

If you can handle the Attract and Confuse curse well you can easily get that all important first corpse and use CE. You don't even have to Max CE. Just a few points to get the radius up will do.

If you wish to use Bone Spear/Spirit you will need to MAX both Bone Spirit and Bone Spear. This requires a hefty investment. Or have Marrowwalk handy.

In short gvandale gave a good build. But if you want, you can even skimp on some points and use only one of the two options.

Thanks for the good ideas and detailed replies guys! It really is looking like I might have a problem with the poison necro until I get some decent equipment (like marrowalks for starters!)

I like the idea of using bone-spirit as well and a bit of CE - sounds like it could work. Will have to do some research on that!

What I might do is start one and see how far I can get without getting too frustrated with slow killing speed on poison immunes/high poison resists and then park him till I can get better equipment.

Since I already have a skellie mancer I can use him to MF but I find he is now struggling a bit in hell act 5, still The Pit is a breeze for him so sure I can start getting some good stuff soon! Was really hoping to MF hell Baal - but might have to accumulate some good equipment first before trying the Main Man.

Would still like to hear from the other poison necro's out there - keep the good ideas rolling :D

AlienChild said:
Ok first post got corrupted, so this is a simplified repost. Please reply to this even if you replied to my last one as I only saw the posts from Gvandale and Mad Mantis (names from memory). I noticed that MelFrank had posted but can't see it :(

Basically I want to start a SC ladder poison necro from almost nothing. I already created a skellie mancer and levelled him all the way to hell Act 5 - about to do Anya and the Ancients. (first have to try to figure out how to stop those damn phys. immune Moon lords from decimating my skeleton army even with decrep - but thats maybe a topic for another post.)

Initial feedback I have had is that a poison necro is not viable without uber equipment, because of the large numbers of poison immunes in hell. I am hoping this is wrong and there are effective ways of countering this using merc/curses/CE.

Lets hear from those people that have trodden the poison necro route!

I restarted mine yesterday, and I'm going with Skeletons, Gumby (Clay Golem) and a HF merc.....as support for me.

Currently level 51, and have 6 skellies running around with Gumby and HF merc. Have PN maxxed and working on maxxing PE, then finish off Skeletons, before PD.

As for 'uber" items, started mine without them and after leveling a little in NM to improve the merc a few levels, and did a few meph and nm pit runs to some decent items.

In my opinion, once PN is maxxed, and with PE about half way, killing in NM is not too hard to do.

HoS

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High