Patriarch RabidBeasties– Rabid Summoner (D2R)

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
Patriarch RabidBeasties– Rabid Summoner – BeastMaster Revisited

Level: 86

St – 132 (234)
Dx – 177 (208)
Vt – 191 (216)
En – 20 (65)

HP: 825 (1699 in wolf form)
Mana: 328

Resists:

Fire: 75
Cold: 75
Ltning: 75
Poison: 75

Skills:

Raven: 20 (37 on switch)
Grizzly: 20 (37 on switch)
Poison Creeper: 20 (37 on switch)
Rabies: 20 (32)
Heart of the Wolverine: 11 (28 on switch)
Werewolf: 1 (18 on switch)
Lycanthropy: 1 (18 on switch)
Spirit Wolf: 1 (18 on switch)
Dire Wolf: 1 (18 on switch)
Oak Sage: 1 (18 on switch)
Feral Rage: 1 (13)

Damage:

Feral Rage: 489 – 2587 (After Might & HotW)
Rabies: 435 – 2302 / 19,609 – 20,309 @16.4s (After Might & HotW)
Raven: 1284 – 1423 (Before Might & HotW)
Spirit Wolf: 198 – 218 Cold
Dire Wolf: 334 – 441 (Before Might & HotW)
Grizzly: 3715 – 3860 (Before Might & HotW)

Equipment:

Weapon 1:

Eth Lacerator
Stormshield w/ Ruby (36%ED) Jewel of Fervour

Weapon 2:

“HotO” Flail
“Spirit” Monarch shield

Jalal’s Mane w/ Rusty (13%ED) Jewel of Fervour
“CoH” Dusk Shroud
Trang Oul’s Claws
Gore Rider
Trang Oul’s Girth
Mara’s Kaleidoscope
BKWB & Manald Heal
Bone Break, Rotten Fissure and DTorch

Merc (Act 2 – Might)

Eth Vampire Gaze
“Treachery” Dusk Shroud
“Infinity” Eth Thresher

Random musings:

After mulling it over for a whole 5 minutes or so, I decided that I’d remake BeastMaster but instead of going the pure physical damage route, I’d max Rabies and Poison Creeper. As I said in BeastMaster’s write-up, the thought of having a blind or running monster dying of poison appealed to me and for the most part, that worked well. Up until the beginning of Act 5 Hell, there was no real difference between both builds. It seemed that what I lost in physical damage, the added poison damage seemed to take up the slack, swings and roundabouts!

I kept the build as close as I could to BeastMaster, but I swapped out Lava Gout for Trang’s Claws for the boost to poison damage and I found that I needed some Mana leech when I was using Rabies so my second BKWB bit the dust.

Like BeastMaster, RabidBeasties played at /Players8 all the way through to early Act 1 Hell and /Players3 for the rest of the time. Also, like Beastmaster, RabidBeasties completed the game without dying, but he had a hell of a lot of close calls and the fact he didn’t die was just pure luck.

Once in Hell difficulty, Rabies started to lose its edge. It still killed smaller monsters, but larger ones were still alive, and I had to finish them off with physical damage. What it was good at was spreading beyond the current battlefront because of fleeing monsters and reducing the hit points of these new monsters before I got to them.

For some reason I cannot really fathom, Act 5 Hell changed everything. My merc died constantly even though he was using the same equipment as the one used on BeastMaster and was apparently as well protected by the furry army as previously. The Heart of the Wolverine seemed to die more frequently as well. Losing both the Might aura and the HotW pretty much killed my ability to do a reasonable amount of physical damage. One reason for the difficulty I had may have been the number of Succubi and Gloam I encountered in Hell. They seemed to be everywhere and took a special delight in plastering my merc and HotW the instant they came into range.

All and all, the build worked well enough I suppose, equal to BeastMaster for the majority of the game, but in the end, my first choice proved to be the right one.

Tyrael, the bastard, didn’t open a portal after I killed Baal, so I don’t have a Patriarch screenshot for RabidBeasties. *sigh*

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High