Patriarch Petyr, Trang’s Poison Nova/Fire Wall Necromancer (D2R)

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
Petyr2.jpg

Patriarch Petyr, Trang’s Poison Nova/Fire Wall Necromancer

Level: 88

St – 106 (157)
Dx – 30 (70)
Vt – 369 (394)
En – 25 (50)

HP: 1147 (+290 in Bone Armour)
Mana: 590

Damage:

Poison Nova: 8531 – 8815
Fire Wall: 2205 - 2249

Resists:

Fire: 75
Cold: 75
Ltning: 75
Poison: 75

Skills:

Poison & Bone:
Poison Dagger: 20 (38)
Poison Explosion 20 (38)
Poison Nova 20 (38)
Teeth: 1 (19)
Bone Armour: 1 (19)
Corpse Exp: 1 (19)

Summoning:
Fire Golem: 13 (27)
Golem Mastery: 10 (24)
Clay Golem, Flesh Golem, Iron Golem, Raise Skeleton & Summon Resist: 1 (15)

Curses:
Amp. Dam, Dim Vision, Iron Maiden, Weaken, Terror & Decrep., Life Tap, Lower Resist: 1 (15)

Equipment:

Weapon 1:

Death’s Web w/ +5, -4 Facet
Trang-Oul’s Wing w/ +5, -4 Facet

Weapon 2:

Spineripper
Trang-Oul’s Wing

“Ral” Trang-Oul’s Guise
Trang-Oul’s Scale w/ +5, -4 Facet
Trang-Oul’s Claws
Silkweave
Trang-Oul’s Girth
Mara’s Kaleidoscope
BKWB x 2
Necro Torch (3, 20, 19)

Rotting Fissure Sunder charm
Flame Rift Sunder charm

Merc (Act 2 – Holy Freeze)

Eth Vampire Gaze
“Treachery” Dust Shroud
“Infinity” Thresher

Random musings:

So, where to start? I was thinking of doing another fire-based build after already completing NotSwearwolf (Fire Claws), Halitosis (Inferno), Aziraphale (Holy Flame) and TrapperJoan (fire traps). A fire Amazon was on the cards, but I still needed some equipment. Phoenix Strike/Fists of Fire/Dragon Tail assassin using Mosaic runewords looks great, but I’ve got even less in the way of equipment for that one. What can I do about a fire Barb? Buggered if I know! I’ll thing about that later. A fire Necro? That would have to be Trang’s set, but is Fire Wall enough by itself? Use poison then! And thus, Petyr was born.

It was a slow grind initially using Poison Dagger and I needed a lot of twinked summoning gear (and a hard point in Raise Skeleton) to get things rolling. Clay Golem, Decrepify and a Blessed Aim Merc using Insight was enough for me to stumble along alright until I got to Poison Nova and Lower Resist. But before we continue, let’s have a little talk about Poison Explosion and what an appalling state it is in! Okay, it does considerable damage even though the time it takes to do it is rather extensive. Looking at damage per second, PN does about 4.5K and PX about 3.7K (for my build at least), so it’s not too bad. The problem I found was the size of the poison cloud; it was pathetic. Unless the monster was right above the corpse, the cloud didn’t hit it and it almost never hit more than one monster anyway. The uptime to the cloud was reasonable, but for god’s sake can we get even a moderate increase in the area please? Okay, rant over and back to our regularly scheduled program.

I stuck with the Clay Golem and Lower Resist at minimum strength while I maxed out the three poison skills and swapped the merc for Holy Freeze (still using Insight) and things chugged along nicely until I decided to stick a lovely Obedience Thresher on the merc and make an Insight Iron Golem. About half an hour (and four Insights) later, I gave up and put the Obedience Thresher back on the merc. I decided that a Fire Golem was more in keeping with the theme of the build and went down that path. It was about this time (Act 5 NM) that I had my first death. My merc had got himself stuck around a corner in one of the ice caves, the Fire Golem lasted only a few seconds under a barrage from Skeleton Archers and the Nova didn’t quite reach the whole pack. It was then that I decided to go for Dim Vision as my initial curse rather than Lower Resist and the whole build changed.

Lower Resist did speed up the rate at which I killed things but at the cost of my character having so many near-death experiences that I was in a state of near panic at times. Dim Vision, on the other hand, meant that I could put several packs to sleep and cast Poison Nova and Fire Wall with impunity. If I came across a unique or champion pack that I couldn’t use Dim Vision on, I’d cast Lower Resist and then override it for the rest of the monsters with Dim Vision. For the act bosses and the Ancients, I changed to Clay Golem and Decrepify and pummelled them with Novas and Fire Walls without raising a sweat; slow-ish, but completely safe. I played all of Hell difficulty at /players5 and probably could have gone higher. As I wanted to try to get a little more damage on my Fire Walls, I swapped out the Obedience thresher for an Infinity one and I was happy with the result. I did have two deaths in Hell, both of which when I got impatient and cast Lower Resist to quickly clean up a few monsters. And both of these deaths were when my merc was AWOL as well, so which was the major contributing factor I don’t know. If I wasn’t going for the fire theme, I probably would have stuck with the Clay Golem rather than the fire one. The fire aura didn’t really create the amount of threat I thought it would and the golem itself was more squishy that I would have liked.

So now I’ll go and try to find the equipment I need for my fire bowazon and hopefully find come across some sexy claws for Mosaic too (I can dream!).

Screenshot128.png

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High