Patriarch Aziraphale – Holy Fire Zealot (D2R)

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
Patriarch Aziraphale – Holy Fire Zealot

Level: 88

St – 89 (143)
Dx – 136 (171)
Vt – 295 (366)
En – 15 (29)

HP: 1389
Mana: 296

Resists:

Fire: 95 [with Resist Fire Aura]
Cold: 75
Ltning: 75
Poison: 75

Skills:

Holy Fire: 20 (32)
Holy Shield: 20 (32 on switch)
Resist Fire: 20 (28)
Salvation: 20 (28)
Zeal: 13 (23)

Prerequisites: 1

Zeal:

Damage: 4,196 – 5,657 @ 5.2 attacks per second (4/4/4/4/8)
AR: 10,534 after BA

Defence: 10,555 after Holy Shield (FHR 5 frames)

Equipment:

Weapon 1:

“Sheal” Azurewrath
HoZ socketed with Vermilion Jewel of Fervour

Weapon 2:

“HotO” Flail
HoZ

“Flickering Flame” Great Helm [ +6 Fire Resist Aura, -15 Fire Resist]
“CoH” Dusk Shroud
Lava Gout
Gore Rider
Verdungo’s Hearty Coil
Mara’s Kaleidoscope
BKWB & Raven Frost
Fire Sunder

Merc (Act 2 – Blessed Aim)

Eth Andariel’s Visage
“Treachery” Dusk Shroud
“Infinity” Superior [+12%ED] Thresher [+319% ED, -55%LR]

Random musings:

Not a huge amount to say about this build except it was a killer. At no stage did I drop below /players3, I sailed through most of the game without having to have to think and the two deaths I had were down to stupidity on my behalf (I’ll hold off just a little longer before I use a fat purple! BOTH TIMES!!).

Right from the beginning and whole point of my play was to equip the fastest weapon I could, get to slvl 4 Zeal and pump all my skill points into Holy Fire and its synergies; and it worked perfectly. After Holy Fire was maxed out, I started putting points into Holy Shield, which quickly pumped up my defence. With all that juicy defence, and 75% block, it seemed a shame to have it neutered by running but walking is such a pain. Then I discovered Charge. At first, I just used it to get into melee range quickly, then I had a revelation. By holding down the key assigned to Charge and with careful mouse movement I could zoom around the map with barely a care in the world; until my mana ran out that is.

For the majority of the back half of the game, I used a Shaeled Lightsaber and that worked fantastically. The mana leech on it was a great help when I stopped skating around and needed to top up my mana. I was tempted to go back to the Lightsaber toward the end, even if it was to stop me from having to chug mana potions so frequently, but I stuck with Azurewrath. In an attempt to try something new, I tried using the Treachery/Andy’s Visage on my merc and frankly, I didn’t see all that much of an improvement in his survivability.

And now for my obligatory whinge. Perhaps I’m just getting a bit jaded but I’m starting to get more than a little pissed off with the state of the game toward the end of Hell difficulty. Here is a perfect example. I killed the Ancients on /p3 in well under a minute, then I spent the better part of an hour to get to Baal’s minions, which I killed in maybe three minutes (and that include the time they take to spawn), then I killed Baal (again on /p3) in under a minute. See the problem? It took me an hour, several close calls, a dozen or more fat purples and perhaps half a dozen trips to town to resurrect my merc to get to the Baal’s minions and in under five minutes to finish the games. It seems weird to me that a couple of packs of normal succubi or skeleton archers are as challenging as the early minions. Throw a unique pack with an aura or curse into the mix and Lister is a cakewalk by comparison. I don't know, it seems to trivialise that boss fights for me. Maybe I need a break for a while!

Screenshot110.png

Cool character, good stuff!

I really like Holy Fire + Zeal as a quick levelling build, like to get to the point where it makes sense to re-spec into FoH for example. But I have never taken a Pally through the whole game built around Holy Fire... Better add it to my to-do list!

Reactions: TheNix
I have always seen HF marketed as a leveling build, so cool to see you take it to the end so successfully and I love the use of Flickering Flame.

Congratulations - Is he named after the character in Good Omens?

Congratulations - Is he named after the character in Good Omens?
The connection is somewhat loose, but Holy Flame is a sort of flaming sword and a paladin is kinda sorta an angel.

I have always seen HF marketed as a leveling build, so cool to see you take it to the end so successfully and I love the use of Flickering Flame.
The Resist Fire on the Flickering Flame more than balances out the Sunder charm's penalty; and the plus to skills and the minus resist make it a very juicy runeword.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High