Patriarch Aetherius - PvP Mage

nulio

Jun 7, 2009
Patriarch Aetherius

Introduction

Named PalI he was created in 1.07 several months ago, as a future mule or just when I was rushing someone and there were free slots. Patted I then completed all the quests that give bonuses and left both NM and Hell Ancients to be killed.

Quested a bit and leeched experience until he was able to run Hell Council. Not only I prefer running Travincal to Cows but also because in my experience the drops are better there. Also I didn't want to level him in 1.07 for it to be faster but to have more changes for 1.07 goodies. With the exception of 96 > 97 and 98 > 98.9 made leeching experience while an amazon was slaying Hell Bovines (thanks Fabian for borrowing some gear for her) he pounded the Council Members a lot, I must have spend around 150 hours with him there (about the same time as with my 97 barb, which had way better results as expected - the smart move would have been leveling the paladin in cows and spend the remaining time running Travincal with the barbarian).

Anyway iirc, he used Skulker's until he was able to wear Arkaine's (I don't like Rattlecage much), Guillame's Face, 'Eth' Coldstell Eye, Gerke's, Goblin Toe, LoH, Mavina's Belt, RF, BKWB and Atma's Scarab (overall faster runs with this amulet, still Bliding from Coldstell Eye messed with the Amplify). Inventory had damage, resists, life and frw, when runs started to be safer, less life and res and more damage.

He was then forwarded to 1.13d, awaited for his final name some weeks until I decided to call him Aetherius after a very funny thread. I equipped him and gave him the skills of a pure Hammerdin.

Ancients

frozzzen and janooo joined in a MP game where we killed Ancients and then went to the Moor.

[YOUTUBE]qGBLHWXKnPw[/YOUTUBE]

What you don't see in the video? It was p8, selected in the first attempt where frozzzen was unable to join in account of being noob.
What do you see in the video? Not only did I sucked positioning the hammers in PvM, I also sucked in the Moor. I need to practice a lot and train the skill switching and I need to change his skill layout making him the Mage he's going to be.
Since I equipped him in GoMule when I died in the second match I wasn't able to equip most of his gear again.
Oh, and Bandicam stopped recording at the 10th minute, in middle of the first match, I was lucky to not be killed when D2 was minimized and the video has a hiccup there. Overall I was very very slow, I'm very excited for my first 99er!

PvP Gear and Skills

In his default setup he will use:
- 1.08 Shako socketed with a Ber rune (still have to manage to trade one to use in socket)
- Breast Plate Enigma (need a second Ber rune to make it - he's using a Mage Plate one in the video) which will allow me not only to spare one strength point but also being able to re-equip my gear in this setup after deaths
- 30@ Mara's
- 40@ HotO
- Spirit 45@ Sacred Targe
- Trek's or 1.06 rare boots (when not using Mara's only the rares can be used - otherwise I can't recover body)
- 15DR 40Vit Dungo's
- Two beta BKWB
- Death's Hand (vs poison necros) / Venom Grip (vs rabies druid) / Bloodfist (when res is not needed for the extra 40 life plus what's gained switching Balance skiller for life skiller - before BO) / Other gloves (I have to check what can help me stack resistances when needed)
- 15BO 3HS 2Med 2Vig beta CtA and Spirit on switch
- Nine life skillers and one balance skiller plus life and resist small charms for the occasion.

The skill layout is not finished yet, but aiming for 10k Hammers and a decent FoH damage if opponent's isn't stacking resistances. After HotO's Oak Sage he should have something around 6.5k~6.7k life, 31DR, 75FCR, max block and lowest resistance being fire with ~190 (ignoring anya's quests).

He'll have another setup using facet perfect Griffon's and fcr amulet. This one will still have high hammer damage, better FoH, 125FCR, but only 8DR, 68block and ~5.3k life. To reach that FCR breakpoint I'm still hoping for some sexy and perfect 1.07 scepter and get my hands on some nice crafted amulet (this will mean even more FoH damage but only 4.5k life). Most likely I'll use TO Gloves, keep HotO and use either a nice fcr ring or rare amulet.

The first setup doesn't use 'BerBer' CoA to allow highest life possible on second setup. From my math, losing 14DR but gaining 11% more life was also a good choice. It also has slower cast rate to be able to have sick life (lots of all skills in gear - only one more would be possible using arachs).

Picking the gear would have not been possible if I hadn't made a specific excel calculator for a Mage (it has everything from BO calculator, block calculator, skill distribution, etc), my precious!

Anyway, after more testing and when I'm not feeling as lazy I'll post read-outs of the gear.
I'll also try to upload some videos where Aetherius isn't sucking so much (I have to learn to namelock and all that stuff...)!

Thanks for reading! And thanks to everyone that helped me with advises for the build and trading gear, or just noobs around with me in the IRC/wtv.

Last edited:
I love mages...

Gemmed War Scepter
One-Hand Damage: 10 to 17
Durability: 70 of 70
Required Strength: 55
Required Level: 49
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0xcb94a99e
Adds 5-370 lightning damage
+1 to Conviction (Paladin Only)
+2 to Fist of the Heavens (Paladin Only)
+1 to Conversion (Paladin Only)
150% Damage to Undead
100% Chance to cast Level 47 Chain Lightning When You Die
100% Chance to cast Level 41 Nova When You Level Up
+25% to Lightning Skill Damage
-25% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
Socketed (5: 5 used)

No videos, no LCS no nothing? Lame. As your pally :p

I expect him to be ready for weekend pvp. And no excuses. These things are pretty hard to play so enjoy your fail :p

I was able to make the video smaller. Thanks scrcrw for uploading it!

Actually selling your potions? Cheapass :p

Well, I will be joining one of those games soonish. Cannot wait to get slain a gazillion times.

It's nice to see that someone actually still plays this game, and as far as I know it's pretty much just nulio left in SC. So that's nice, congrats on your character!

Actually could I have my 1.07 stuff back? No promises, but I might, you know, play a bit. At some point.

150 hours of Council running? :crazyeyes: Nowadays I'm happy if I can run more than an hour in 1 sit and after that I take a 1 month break from Travincal.

Show us some of those hax charms that dropped during this time

Seriously congrats dude! :highfive:

No videos, no LCS no nothing? Lame. As your pally :p

Needs more #'s.

When I'm sure of his skill distribution I'll make something pretty :D

Also, thank you for reminding me why I don't enjoy PvP. :badteeth: That's just a stupid amount of eHP for something that can kill you in a few hits.

I have to balance my noobness in some way!

Actually selling your potions? Cheapass :p

Well, I will be joining one of those games soonish. Cannot wait to get slain a gazillion times.

When I'm not trying to run targets efficiently I'm unable to drop/leave stuff on ground (you can also see on video me picking some gold in the Moor - other than stealing froz's gold).

I'm sure you'll be slaying also! :D

It's nice to see that someone actually still plays this game, and as far as I know it's pretty much just nulio left in SC. So that's nice, congrats on your character!

Not for long! As soon I finish leveling a gang of 1.07 chars in cows I'll "only" have two or three characters to level in 1.07/1.13, so I hope to finish PvM soon-ish ^^

150 hours of Council running? :crazyeyes: Nowadays I'm happy if I can run more than an hour in 1 sit and after that I take a 1 month break from Travincal.

Show us some of those hax charms that dropped during this time

Seriously congrats dude! :highfive:

I quite enjoy travincal, although I'm a bit sick of it atm. But it's mostly the possibility of really nice drops that helps!

I'm not sure if it was the Barb or the Pally in most items, unless I reported them at the time. But travincal gave me 44 and 25 pcombat, 43 and 33 chilling, 43 and 34 hexing, 37 and 36 captain's, 38 fanatic, 37, 29 and 26 graverobber's, 36 preserver's, 35 shogukusha, 34 fletcher's, 31 acrobat's, 29 and 26 harpoonist, 30 burning, 30 sparking, 39, 33 and 28 trainer's, 27 trapping, a bunch of balance skillers, two 39 maxers, 38 maxer, 32 maxer, 20max36LR GC, 12max fletcher, 18max harpoonist, 18max sounding, 19max and 20max spiritual, 19max shogukusha, 20 max trapper (and some other maxers + skills), etc, etc. Nice GC/LC/SC resists/max dmg/min dmg +life... Lot's of uniques and sets. A couple Vex, Ber, Lo, two Ohm, lots of jewels, gems... ~300hours well spent lol

The name actually came from a theme suggested in a PM :p soooo... buh!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High