Patch 2.8 wishlist/hopelist/hype thread/cope thread

NorthDakota

Aug 10, 2012
Hey guys,

With the new ladder season/patch being announced soon (likely this week according to pezradar) and released likely in September, I thought it'd fun to have a wishful-thinking area where we can talk about stuff we'd like to see in the new patch.

Is D2R on life support? Probably! But that shouldn't stop us purebloods from still dreaming and having feelings in our lives and thinking about the future.

So what's on your list of things you'd like to see in the patch?! This is NOT a pessimistic thread, this is NOT a realistic post, THE SKY IS THE LIMIT. POST THE STUFF YOU WANT TO SEE.

Okay me first

Realistic (?):
more changes to leveling uniques/sets that's all I want! I have a realistic and pessimistic outlook on this patch!! If they make any changes at all I will be extremely happy and that's that!

Unrealistic:
  1. Loot filters ("But ND, D2 is a simple game and doesn't need a filter") SHUT UP. It does and nothing you say will change my mind!
  2. Stacking runes/gems - Hey I use gomule but I don't care, I played other mods of LoD and It's fun to have all your runes in your stash where you can look at them and caress them softly and feel how amazing you are because of all your runes that are there and then you can show your wife and children all your extreme wealth that you've had over the years and cry softly to yourself at nighttime
  3. Please no new runewords, give me more uniques/sets
  4. Melee hit cap raised from 95% to 100% no one asks for this but I have never ever wanted anything more than this.

Last edited:
Agreed with #1 and #2 on the unrealistic list, #3 I partially agree with but I'd rather they improve existing sets/uniques before adding new stuff, especially items with unique art like the Heaven's Brethren set or Todesfaelle Flame. Such beautiful art by Vicarious Visions (and the original D2 team too) gone to waste because the stats are just dookie.

#4 I wouldn't care too much but I kind of like it as a nod to DnD (critical failure), I'd rather see the ridiculous block chance of act bosses reduced to something more reasonable because outside of always hit skills like Smite or Impale then it's just an uncounterable chance to miss. Like 55% block on Hell Baal, highest chance to hit you'll ever have against him is 42.75% assuming you've got a 95% hit chance. I wouldn't mind if they buffed their defense to compensate because defense can actually be countered.

Something I have to add is on the "never going to happen" list is nerfing some stuff (intentionally, not talking about shifter druid or WW barb IAS :LOL:). I dislike how stuff like Stealth, Insight, and especially Spirit just dominate their item slots for a long time because of their insane stats for their cheap price, they just invalidate so many choices. Why would I use an awesome 2/20/staffmods wand or orb if Spirit just demolishes it with the +2 skills, FCR, FHR, and mana while being much easier to acquire and with a lower level requirement? That includes sets and uniques too, so many are hardly worth using because of the runewords.

Would also like to see some buffs/fixes to some bosses. I think Meph should be able to float over the moat, Diablo's lightning hose shouldn't have a melee range gap in Nightmare and Hell, Baal shouldn't be "frozen" by stacking slowing effects. The Ubers should be less susceptible to Smiter cheese, make them immune to curses so Smiters can't deal with them as easily with Life Tap sustain (but as noted above reduce their block chance and in this specific case maybe reduce their level to 99, because 110 is annoying for hit chance, again wouldn't mind a defense buff to compensate). The curse immunity would also affect melee builds but at least they benefit from life leech and combined with the block chance reduction and level reduction it shouldn't be too horrible. Or something like that anyways, doesn't have to be curse immunity specifically.

Now for something on the "really never going to happen" list is for TCP/IP to be reinstated. I miss being able to play with my brother and friends using the /players command and playing with mods together. Glad Blizz got rid of it for those "security reasons" though, gotta protect the players right? Or Blizzard's wallet rather? :rolleyes:

But anyways I'll just leave it at that for now, there's tons of other stuff I'd like to see but my comment is getting too long already and I'm getting lazy to type. 😅

Last edited:
and especially Spirit just dominate their item slots for a long time because of their insane stats for their cheap price,
Ok Ok hear me out, the popular attitude is nerf spirit, but I think they should go another direction.

Make spirit more expensive, like maybe two Lo+ runes I'm not going to theorycraft the best setup for which runes it takes, just make it two expensive-ish runes and maybe reduce the range of FCR it can roll as so you don't have to roll it 10+ times, and up the level requirement

Then put in a "mini spirit" runeword that costs the same as spirit now, but provides less stats overall. Like maybe +1 skills, keep the FCR the same, reduce the resists, mana, etc, change some stuff up, maybe make it 3 runes, just make a leveling version of spirit that's less powerful. And then keep spirit in the game but make it expensive because of how busted it is.

I don't play D2R, but unrealistic things I'd like to see:

Glove and boot sockets
Grizzly bear and Valkyrie gain slow minion count scaling - 2 at level 20, 3 at level 30
Golems are limited to 1 per type rather than 1 total (needs balancing such that it takes investment into a given type to make it survivable)
Helm unique or runeword that gives +1 random oskill (plus maybe some filler stats)
Add useful sources of magic resist/absorb

Personally...

In-game grailer system.
- Use cube + mats to extract and hang an item as a trophy to a list of all available s/u. A more or less the same from D3, minus the 3 slots and skill bonuses.

Reactions: NorthDakota
I would like to see:

- The new act 5 merc is a step in the right direction. There is only one more thing I would like to add here: allow act 5 mercs to use axes alongside swords (together or special merc).

- Crafts.... IMO this change can make an impact almost as runewords.
1. Remove Item restriction from crafting
2. Restore 1.07 bonuses or something similar, at least regarding iPDR
3. (More on the 'impossible' side) Change the auto-mods for crafting to something useful:
Blood
* 5-15% Life leech
* 'Life per Kill' (5-20)
* 10-15% OW
* Critical Strike on helm is fine, maybe make it optional for other items
* 100+ to HP / +Vit based on level
* High life regeneration (30-50)
* High fire resistance 20-30%
* Chance for '+1 Feral Rage' on weapons

Caster
* 5-20% FCR
* 100+ to Mana / +Eng based on level
* High Mana regeneration (30-50) / High MPK (10-15)
* Chance for '+1 to Warmth' on armor (helm, gloves, shield...)
* High STR bonus 10-20

Safety
* High iPDR & iMDR on every item (15+)
* %DR (5-10%)
* "of Deflecting" on shield
* High "Chance of Blocking" (10-15%)
* Magic Resistance on armor (10-30%)
* Amulets and rings always @10-20 to all resists
* High poison resistance 20-30%
* Chance for '+1 to Holy Shield' on shields

Hit Power
* %ED on every item (50-150)
* High elemental damage on every item (250-500 to random element)
* High CB on every item (10-15%)
* Chance for KB effect
* High cold resistance 20-30%
* Various options for weapons like: Chance for +1 to Bash / Concentrate / Lightning Strike (for spears)...

- (More on the 'impossible' side) Allow combination of rare items. Will explain more if someone interested.

Last edited:
1. Stackable runes, gems, keys, organs etc
2. Customizable loot filter with minimap and/or audio queue for certain drops
3. Option to scale above players 8 on Single Player and/or more end game options
4. Map seed lock and reset option for Single Player (allow us to revisit Normal, NM without rerolling map if needed)
5. In game Holy Grail tracker, unlimited customizable stash tabs, gold cap removal

Personally...

In-game grailer system.
- Use cube + mats to extract and hang an item as a trophy to a list of all available s/u. A more or less the same from D3, minus the 3 slots and skill bonuses.
Ooo that'd be really cool, make it like the unique tab in PoE and I'd be so incredibly happy.

- Crafts.... IMO this change can make an impact almost as runewords.
Yes I agree, PD2 crafting in d2r would be another huge and really fun endgame activity.

I'd love similar to buying potions/scrolls in bulk, imagine gambling in bulk, shift click and it fills up inventory with things eg rings.

Some of those quality of life things to stop a bit of RSI, give us back a few seconds but won't really break the game.

Would also love a loot filter! To not sure cracked, inferior type items and highlight better things etc.

That point about having to look at an outside resource to check recipes/runewords is very outdated. Keep in mind Diablo 2 first came out before Windows XP! The world has moved on a bit since then.

Stackable consumable things would be awesome, gems, runes, potions etc

I'd love something about tracking grailers in game, would be very handy for those who play online and can't mule off.

One thing I think would be fun in theory if you could have a party of more than one mercenary if you are playing singleplayer/offline. We all know that Diablo 2 is a power fantasy, and when you are playing with others you get the fun of extra abilities and kill better. Just imagine you going out, with your act 1 rogue, your act 2 pokey guy, your act 3 iron wolf and the act 5 barb. It would feel like MP when you can't MP! By the way many years ago I played Guild Wars for some years, you used to have heroes/mercs you could hire into your party. Later when let you have more merc that you could micromanage, vs an AI meat shield.

That point about having to look at an outside resource to check recipes/runewords is very outdated.
This is so trivial to literally just mod into the game at the present time that there's really no reason it's not just in the game by default. I mean, looking at developer intent, do you think that its still reasonable that a person picking up the game would discover crafting recipes or other cube recipes on their own? Is that enhancing the game experience that it's not tutorialized in some fashion? Did developers really intend that each individual player would discover those recipes? I think not. They intended that it would be shared and it wasn't in the game because it was like the wild west of video game development. Nowadays, it should just be in the game. POE has the same problem. Those recipes shouldn't be a community discovery, you should want your players to engage with game features that you put into the game instead of obscuring them unnecessarily. I think there is some fun to be had with communities discovering mysteries in game but we're long since past that point with d2 lol

More stash tabs. There can only be 8 players in an online game so it would be okay if everyone’s stashes were loaded… (D4 reference)

More more stash tabs. I mainly play on the ps5 now a days so more stash tabs.

The ability to cloud save our single player so we can play on another system.

Loot filter. Stash filter.

Pause the game when you look at the inventory on console.

Turn off ‘show items’ or the ‘hold to show’ didn’t highlight the items you were standing on.

Use the other stick to determine “length of cast” (how far away is the mouse). Default is default, but if activated then it’s used. (Would really like the main stick, but either works)

likely this week according to pezradar
Where do you find these delicious morsels of news, btw?

Forget changes, I would be happy if they would just communicate clearly, and more importantly regularly (for example once a month), what their current plans are for the game. A bonus if the message includes what they are working on.

Seems like they have so much trouble keeping their word the last months/years, its really getting under my skin....

Where do you find these delicious morsels of news, btw?
well you can follow pezradar on twitter/x if you're into that sort of thing, but I just have a multi-reddit of all diablo related subreddits and pretty much have it open all day every day while at work or at home. pez is definitely the guy to watch for upcoming d2r stuff. It's few and far between these days though. Not everything he says comes true but more of it does than what anyone else says.

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
My wishlist:

- Crafting rework.
- More set/uniques
- Reinstatement of non Battle.net multiplayer, likely via an analogue to Open Battle.net.

• Love
I wonder how much some of the recent work in Diablo 2 Resurrected and the big content patch in Diablo 3 was about driving hype and excitement before Diablo 4's launch? It may be different when Microsoft is fully in charge, but I can imagine Blizzard is mainly going to want to crank the handle on D4 and immortals money train. Why else would Diablo 3 get such a large and fun patch with such a big gap?

Reactions: coju
I'd like to see some revisions to the stats on the Sets/Uniques and some new ones too.

I love to be able to multiplay with others

However, my biggest want is that we don't have to go through another GoMule reset like happened when 2.4 came out. As great as Silopen is for supporting us, we don't need to spend time muling everything over again.

my biggest want is that we don't have to go through another GoMule reset like happened when 2.4 came out.
Oh GAHD it's going to happen. Can you imagine if they add rune/gem stacking hoo boy I can imagine some problems.

There will be a blog later this week with the start date for S5.
I wouldn’t expect really any changes in this specific season. We are going to adjust the start date by a few hours which will be noted in the blog.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High