OT - Windows XP and 98 dual install

Borlag

Nov 12, 2003
www.borlag.cjb.net
OT - Windows XP and 98 dual install

Well, even though I hold courses on these OS's and many others, I've never actually tried this before. So...last night I installed the XP on my computer and I'd like to get 98 running as second OS. However the boot menu doesn't show the other at all even though both OS's are on separate harddrives with their own MDR. Both work as such, only that I'd have to do a bit of jumper switching as it is now.

What I'm wondering is that how would I go in adding that into the boot menu? I tried looking at the booting options and it wasn't even listed there as an option. Anyone with experience on this?

OT in an OT thread...damn I wish I'd have LILO for this :teeth:

How should one OS know of the other if you have set them up on different Disks with their own MBRs?

But you should be able to manually add the Win98 to the Boot Menu of WinXP; I managed to do so with Linux booted from a WinNT Boot Menu. I think you can copy the line calling XP in the boot.ini and replace the appropriate disk/rdisk/... numbers with those required by Win98. But then, I never did it that way with Win9x.

Easier way would be to install Win98, then install XP (wherever you wish, but booting from the same disk). It recognizes Win98 and puts it into the boot.ini automatically. At least it did so for me.

Borlag,

it's all in the system properties. I have a German XP (running out of the 30day licence in 3 days. But it works now.)

- Right-click the My Computer and ask for the properties.
- Select the Tab "Erweitert" (must be something like "Extended" in English)
There is a "Startend und wiederstellen" (in english start and reboot/restore)
- Click the Properties button in this section
If you are lucky it can be selected in here
If not
- click the "Bearbeiten" button in the top section and a boot.ini file is open for edit.

Randall

PS.
I can mail a screenshort of the stuff

EDIT: How to edit this boot.ini thing to see the second disk, I am not sure though. But there seem to be enough properties to test:

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

This is the exact thing that I've done, apart from the manual editing of the file.

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

so if I understood that right, the first line has the default which is NT for you, multi 0 is unknown to me, disk 0 means 1 IDE master, rdisk is what? Root disk? Partition is self explanatory.

So if I have 2 hard drive system would my configuration be like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=xx
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WinXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft WIndows 98 Second Edition" /fastdetect

does that look about right?

Hi,

It's a Win2000 :)

It is the multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0) I do not know as well, that's why yahoo is invented :)

Sources you can check:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022
http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/ntboot/

According to this second site it must be:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="NT, First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="NT, First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINNT="NT, First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINNT="NT, First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="NT, Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="NT, Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINNT="NT, Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINNT="NT, Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos

Meaning your disk(1) setting seems to be incorrect.

Randall

hmm what about the file system? I have XP installed on NFTS and Win98 on FAT32, will I still be able to get this to work with that boot disk (the site you copied that from said it's for a bootdisk)?

My guess would be that you need to have this:

[boot loader]
timeout=xx
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WinXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft WIndows 98 Second Edition" /fastdetect

They do not note anything of the filesystems or OS at all. I have a dual boot XP/98 at home as well, if you have plenty of time I'll post the boot.ini file of that one as well somewhere in the weekend. It is win32/Win98 and Ntfs/WinXp both on the same disk but different partitions.

Randall

Personal experience, not a highly technical one:

I had a HD with Win98, and bought another one wich became master, with win XP NTFS. I also installed Linux in another partition of this HD, with a boot manager to switch between Linux / XP.

Then I removed Linux from my machine, and Partition magic managed to get a Windows partition where once Linux ruled. But I wasn't able to remove the Boot Manager from it, neither to make it start on Win XP as default.

When I need to start Win98 (mainly to play the nice Sega Genesis emulator 8-P), I go for the Bios Setup and make it start up from drive D. It works, but it is not practical for daily use and heavy switching.

Oh, and also the win 98 will not recognize a NTFS partition, no mather what I will do.

Hmm, I believe you can't see the XP side from the 98 though, as 98 doesn't have any support for NTFS, this doesn't matter to me though, just need to know for 100% certainty that it works otherwise.

Borlag said:
Hmm, I believe you can't see the XP side from the 98 though, as 98 doesn't have any support for NTFS, this doesn't matter to me though, just need to know for 100% certainty that it works otherwise.

I do not have this situation somewhere on a machine, I can not give a 100% certainty.

If both operating systems are installed allready, you could try it on a bootdisk first. If it is not working, you only have a bad bootdisk.

Randall

I'm pretty sure the boot.ini line for Win98 should read something like "X:\Windows" rather than the multipart naming scheme... Try searching Microsoft.com for boot.ini - Technet's the section you want.

Other thing to ensure is the on the Win98 HDD, the partition needs to be marked as Active.

-edit- Oh yeah, Win98 can't read NTFS partitions without a third party addon program. You should be able to find at least a trialware version of such somewhere, dunno about a freeware though. My solution when I used to multiboot (straight XP now) was to create 3 partitions - NTFS for XP/2k, FAT32 for Win98 and a FAT32 Shared Data partition. I had it configured so that both OSes though they were installed into C:, data drive was D: and the other wasn't visible (unmounted the 98 partition in XP). Although, you could just use a directory on the 98 drive as the shared area.

yea but that'd mean that I'd have to put a disk drive there in the first place, thus removing one of the hard drives that I have as storages :p

120GB #1, Windows XP + programs and games
120Gb #2, Installation packages, patches and other useful packages
120GB #3 mp3's
60Gb #1 Windows 98
60Gb #2 currently empty, was used as backup drive...

heh...so you see I'm running out of room there already :p

Hi,

I would advice you to make 2 very small partitions on the first disk drive (each like 2 or 3 GB) and use these for the OS. Then install all other stuff on the other partitions/disks. If the other partitions/disks are fat32 you can share them between 98 and XP.

In case of a currupt OS you can just wipe out the small partition (with a format) and freshly install without real hurt. If you copy the installation CD's of windows on one of the disk drives you can reinstall always and quickly.

Randall

PS.
I only have 11GB total spread among 3 physical disks (2 IDE and one SCCI).
Then again MP3's do not interest me and movies I like I just by the DvD, D2 is just about the only game I have time for. (Any of the newer games do not run on my system anyways). StarCraft runs great to.

Sharing installed programs can be a recipe for disaster unless you're very very careful (and even you can have problems). Most programs aren't made up of just the files in the Program Files directory, but need registry entries, .ini/.dll/etc in the respective windows directories. If you were careful to install each into both OSes, then patch them simultaneously you might get away with it, but IMO isn't worth the hassle.

Sharing saved data however - that's all good :D

TrenShadow: You are right offcourse. Do not share applications.
(except for a few none really work from multiple OS's, I think ATMA works fine on both though)

I use win98 for gaming only and I do not install anything else in here. It runs without problems for a long time now.
I use winXP for applications / development / whatever.

This way I do not use any application double but I can get to everything if I want to.

Randall

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High