OT: Anyone know how to "rip" DVD's with copy protection? (Not trying to steal)

logoutzero

Nov 9, 2005
Well, first off let me say Merry Christmas to those of us that celebrate it, and happy New Year!

In the great, rediculousness that this season is, my son's maternal grandparents decided to send him a KidTab Pro as a gift! Really, it's a great little tablet, got some bulk to it, and came with a five year warranty against drops and spills! Seems pretty cool!

Now, onto my question: I have a vast DVD movie collection. I have legally purchased every one. I don't download on any P2P servers, nothing like that. The problem I have now, is I can't figure out how to make digital copies of the movies that I have. I'd love to be able to load some of my son's favorites onto his tablet, so that on the go, he always has something to occupy him.

I've tried Handbrake and WinX DVD Ripper. Both fail miserably at "copy protected materials." I don't think what I want to do is illegal, because making backups is within the boundaries of the US copyright laws.

Is there a way to do this? I'm hesitant to purchase a $50 software that might just do the same thing, "Sorry, this DVD is copy protected, try another one."

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reproducing intellectual, copyrighted works with the intent to distribute or showcase in a public manner is what is illegal about copying. At least as far as I can tell...

Digital copies are often included with today's "triple pack" movies (i.e. DVD, Blu-Ray, digital copy) but again, does me no good for the thousands of DVDs I already own...

It looks like I'll just be hitting up Google Play, and buying a movie or two each week there. Multitudes of them are under $5, so it's not a big deal.

I am able to provide you with the information you need. As kitteh said, google. There is a way around the copyright stuff, there always is, and always will be. If you're wanting more information, I can scrounge through an hdd that has the program I used a few years ago.

Power ISO is free, an may meet your need.

The copyright works:
it is a hidden code that checks if you play the media in a CD/DVD/BLueRay player

The solution:
First make an image of the disc.
Second: burn it to a disc, or better: mount it with a virtual drive from your HDD.

I am able to provide you with the information you need. As kitteh said, google. There is a way around the copyright stuff, there always is, and always will be. If you're wanting more information, I can scrounge through an hdd that has the program I used a few years ago.

Power ISO is free, an may meet your need.

Thanks for the tip friend.

The copyright works:
it is a hidden code that checks if you play the media in a CD/DVD/BLueRay player

The solution:
First make an image of the disc.
Second: burn it to a disc, or better: mount it with a virtual drive from your HDD.

Will try this today, thanks for the tip.

I've tried to make an image of the CD, but the software I have, for making images of games to prevent CD swapping and potentially damaged CD's,) always say that the movie DVD is copywrited and cannot create the image. Please let me know how it goes.

I have never done it, but I guess it should work with Deamon tools if you just make an ISO. It is a shame about copy protection, but I cannot blame the companies they want money for their work. Yet honest ppl cannot make a digital copy, and that becomes ever more important as DVD/Bluray etc. are already obsolete.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High