Noobie question - what to keep??

Jul 5, 2010
Noobie question - what to keep??

Hi. All my characters are played untwinked until all quests are completed, then which s/he will share a communal stash. Recently, I started playing a lit spearzon. During one of her questing sessions, she picked up a 'sharp gc of life' - 9 Max dmg / 62 ar / 16 life. At first, I thought it was rather useless and decided to sell it. Then, i wondered if some melee fighters like barbs would benefit more from these gcs then stacked skillers. So, I searched up corax's charms guide - which is awesome btw - and it turns out it's worth the space in my stash.

So, I know that skillers and soj's are gud and I would never sell them to NPC's. But something like this gc is quite hard to decide if it's gud or not, w/o at least selling the first few to the npc and regretting it later.

My question is, What are some not-so-obvious items that are worth keeping for future use?

And on a more specific note, how low of a roll on these items would u be willing to keep?
1. Max dmg Jewels.
2. Ed Jewels.
3. Resist Charms.
4. Life Charms.
etc.

Noob question awaiting veteran answers.
Thanks in advance. =D

Edit: changed pretty much everything to make it clearer. xD

-- ToGgi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Noobie question - what to keep??

The answer I'd give is:

If it's for personal use and you think it can be helpful on a current or future character, stash it away regardless. For example, 20% ED jewel may not be worth much in a trade, but it can be used temporarily on an item you use and replaced later on with a better one.

If you're amassing items only for the purpose of trading, typically you're not going to try and sell off that same 20% ED jewel or a +10 life sc.

Going by jiansonz's rules may or may not apply. Considering that he does single-pass characters, a +5 resist sc may be the best charm he'll see with that character. Tossing it away could have disastrous results. If you twink items, however, and you've got a dozen +11 lit resist small charms stashed away, a +5 sc will forever collect dust in a stash.

edit: That sharp gc is good. Keep it. My Trav barb has a few like it on him at all times.

@TheReadMenace : Thanks for the comment. I forgot to mention the my personal rules etc. xD Basically, I have my chars in two different phases, questing and grailing. I do play full-clear with re-runs allowed, but I do not mf with one char for another. All my chars will play self-found until Hell Baal is killed, and only then s/he will have a communal stash.

For that reason, I'm keeping to jiansonz's rule for the charm. Of course, when this char finishes hell, I will eventually replace said charms for better ones. My concern is whether or not my future characters will have uses for the said 20% ed jewels or +5% lit sc's after completing hell.

Thanks. =P
-- ToGgi.

I think what you should be willing to keep depends a lot on what you already have, so it's hard for anyone but yourself to know what it's worthwhile for specifically you to keep.

Oh, and as for jewels, I actually keep them all - for crafting ^^

But yes, some items might not be so obvious for new players. I'm not very knowledgeable myself, so I'm as curious as you to hear wether there's anything that people frequently throw away that are actually useful. But I think there's probably not that many such things. Usually people tend to keep way too much stuff, not too little :p Oh, and I think if I had ever picked up a Jeweler's Monarch of Deflecting before reading about it, I think I would have sold it for the 35K gold :grin: But knowing about items that are incredibly rare doesn't really matter anyway, if you have played so little that you don't know about them, then you probably haven't had a chance to find such an item anyway ^^

I think the hardest part are rare Gloves, Belts, Boots, Bows, Axes etc. I have no clue what base items are even worth identifying, and what mods I should look on them. I leave them all on the ground.

Last edited:

I think the hardest part are rare Gloves, Belts, Boots, Bows, Axes etc. I have no clue what base items are even worth identifying, and what mods I should look on them. I leave them all on the ground.

this thread might be worth ur while :)
http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685246

@OP

there are way too many things worth keeping depending on the build u plan in the future, or rather how u plan to twink them once they are finished.

charms need max dmg/ar/life/skills/res/mf/extra gold/frw/fhr/mana

some of them are worth keeping only in combination others are good even while standing alone. each char needs its own mods, so untwinked just go with what u need and for grailing/trading/twinking keep them with high end stats

jools need ias/ed/max/min/fhr/res/(life/mana)/ar

same as charms

i´m pretty sure i forgot things and there is always personal preference, but that is generally what i´m looking for on charms and jools. to go more into detail as to how high each stat should be on any single mod or combination...that would take a while :)

EDIT:
Link to thread mentioned

http://web.archive.org/web/20110111191213/http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685246

Thyiad

That's a great link, thanks! I already knew crafting guide by that same guy, looks like this one is just as awesome!

Although, I still don't learn from it what base item types should I even pick up and identify =( I assume that for gloves, belts and boots, all bases can suit some charachter... With mods that are good for melee chars being better on bigger defense bases, and mods that are good for caster chars being better on lower requirement bases. But as for weapons, I am completely clueless. I imagine it must be only Elite bases? As far as I know, some weapon base items are better than others by far, which ones? How about armour? I actually pick up many of them because they usually sell for 35K and I like to pick up something during my runs, but which ones should I even bother to identify and look at? As for helms, only circlets are worth anything, right?

Last edited:

sorry for ot!

rare armors can´t possibly beat uniques/sets/rune words sadly, at least in lod and at high levels. lld is another story.

u should id barb helmets and druid pelts as well. rare ones can be the best here.

belts/gloves/boots: base doesn´t really matter, as long as ur char can equip them

weapons: of they are elite, excep or normal doesn´t matter, u can upgrade them (the only thing u´ll loose is the tri-dura if it is a failed unique). more or less the elite bases do the same damage, if wsm is taken into account. any base works here, some ar better than others, but in general, if u get a great rare weapon the base doesn´t matter - personal preference does a bit. just pick up the ones that u deem worth it - i don´t pick up short sword, hatchet, club style weapons

Although, I still don't learn from it what base item types should I even pick up and identify =( I assume that for gloves, belts and boots, all bases can suit some charachter... With mods that are good for melee chars being better on bigger defense bases, and mods that are good for caster chars being better on lower requirement bases. But as for weapons, I am completely clueless. I imagine it must be only Elite bases? As far as I know, some weapon base items are better than others by far, which ones? How about armour? I actually pick up many of them because they usually sell for 35K and I like to pick up something during my runs, but which ones should I even bother to identify and look at? As for helms, only circlets are worth anything, right?
As a general rule for weapons, I identify all rares I get, including normal base ones because you can always upgrade them to elite if the mods are great. I can remember selling a few of those rares with cruels fools combo because the dmg looked so puny on a normal base and now I keep wondering what kind of godly items I wasted away. :hang:.
Blues I usually only Id elite bases because you can't upgrade blues. Dmg, ar and Speed is key for weapons so I keep those with mods like cruel, fools, ease and quickness. Base weapon, again totally depends on the class. Some classes can be very fast with a weapon type while others slow with the same base, so any weapon with the most desirable mods could potentially fit a build.
Armor, I don't care too much about enhanced defense. I look for resist, faster hit recovery and damage reduction, and fast block rate on shields.
Helms can all spawn +skills, not only circlets, but I think fast cast rate spawns only on circlets, which is why they are much better for casters.

Hahaaaa I totally forgot about the upgrading recipe! XD

Thanks for the advice guys!

I thought that since weapon speeds and requirements are different for different bases, that some bases are useless (example: AFAIK Assassins use almost always Greater/Runic Talons and one more type whose name I forgot, and AFAIK some claw types they use pretty much never due to bad speed/damage or requirements). Could be completely wrong of course.

When it comes to rerolling charms with the 3 P.gems recipe, I know the ilvl of the charm remains the same, but does the clvl effect the prefixes and suffixes?

When I get a dozen or so P.Gems I mule them across to a lvl 25 character who has a fair amount of space in the inventory and I keep trying for a Shimmering charm, but I get really poor rolls. I know that random is random, but I dont think I have yet seen anything better than the basic mods. Should I be using my highest level character to do the rolling instead, or does it make no difference?

When it comes to rerolling charms with the 3 P.gems recipe, I know the ilvl of the charm remains the same, but does the clvl effect the prefixes and suffixes?

When I get a dozen or so P.Gems I mule them across to a lvl 25 character who has a fair amount of space in the inventory and I keep trying for a Shimmering charm, but I get really poor rolls. I know that random is random, but I dont think I have yet seen anything better than the basic mods. Should I be using my highest level character to do the rolling instead, or does it make no difference?

only the ilvl of the charm determines the possible outcomes, ur char lvl doesn´t matter with this recipe. if ur charm is found in hell or later than the flayer jungle in nightmare it can spawn the higher of the two shimmering affixes on grand charms. not sure about the small ones, but ones found in hell will work for sure

It may be tempting to toss "junk" or even "I have better than this" rings and amulets, but hang onto them. After you get the horadric cube, 3 Rings = 1 Amulet. 3 Amulets = 1 Ring. You can get some decent rolls after a certain clvl. (I forget which, jiansonz has an untwinked single pass guide that mentions it).

So don't toss those magical rings and amulets, you can potentially roll good ones from them.

@Serdash : Atm, I just find it better to sell those and have another shot at gambling a nice circlet. I think it was clvl 24 - i think, i'm only 95% sure. - that he has a 'cubing spree'. I followed his guide word by word once, but then i figured i didn't need to be so strict, as i allowed myself to re-run areas whereas jiansonz was single pass.

I should go search that up again, it's got nice whole lot of useful info.. .xD

-- ToGgi.

I sell my rings and amulets until I have a level 80 character who can at least cube +3 skill tree amulets. Not that I really use them, but that might only be because I haven't gotten any +3 amulet of Life Everlasting or Luck or such. Well, I do keep a +3 summon amulet around to buff summons, so I guess I do use at least one such amulet. And I have one character who wore a Scintillating ring, but since one would have to be level 90 to cube that prefix I must have gambled it.

As for items to look for, I would like to add necromancer wands with +3 Bone Spear plus Decrepify and/or Attract and/or Revive. Either with two sockets, or plain ones that would get two sockets from Larzuk. Although I suppose that such a wand with only +3 Bone Spear would still be a nice find, since it would save a lot of time spent shopping from Drognan.

Are these kind of items good? It might be useful for some dude with low AR.

Viper Cleaver
Decapitator
Two-Hand Damage: 133 to 415
Durability: 27 of 40
Required Dexterity: 33
Required Strength: 189
Required Level: 54
Axe Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 99
Fingerprint: 0x6e34abd
+173% Enhanced Damage
+251 to Attack Rating
Adds 1-2 cold damage over 2 seconds
+41 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
+1369 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)

A little off topic... Is cubing rings/ammys at lower levels (24-30) a waste of money? Meaning they could be sold instead

Cubing rings and ammys for extra mf is always gud. I tend to cube rings and ammys till i have decent mf on all three of them. after wards some ppl recommend keep cubing to get better and better rolls but i usualky sell them for an extra shot at gambling circlets.

-- ToGgi.

@zaph: the Fool's prefix (+max damage & +AR per level) can be interesting. This particular item, though, would get sold or dropped immediately. Hardly anyone uses 2-handed axes, the ED% isn't bad but not awesome, and the real killer is no IAS. AR can be gotten from other gear/skills; IAS is much rarer.

@SeeiN: I suppose it matters how desperate you are for rings with early prefixes. My guess is that, unless you're working only on untwinked characters, it's probably best to sell or stash away early rings & amulets until much later in the game (since the reroll is entirely dependent upon clvl... right?).

Yep, all the rings/amulets from my low level chars get muled over to my 80+ Sorc. The formular is new ilvl = clvl*0.75, so she can get amulets of +3skill to a single tree, which is a ilvl60 mod.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High