NM Griswald

Dinnin Darkblade

Dec 20, 2003
NM Griswald

I remember reading somewere on the forums that NM Griswald supposedly drops from a treasure class higher than what his monster lvl and/or area lvl would normally allow. I know that I also saw reference to this in the FAQ of the Day section of DII.net. Now from what I remember this did not change in 1.10, but I am not for sure and with the forum wipes I can't go digging thru the old posts to find out for certin. So does anyone know for sure if this is true?

Borlag said:
IIRC Gris drops from his own TC, thus ignoring mlvl. He also has the best chance to drop Griswold's set items :)

That was one thing i didnt know about Griswold. :uhhuh:

I'm afraid you'd have to beat him so much that the armor would be smashed into an pile of iron, nothing more....and again, I blame you for that

Of course you could try :)

So the question is then, is running NM Griswold worth the time? He's rather easy to get to and quick to kill, but does he drop enough decent items that it would be worth it as opposed to just leaving him be and pressing on to Mephesto or Andarial in NM? I'm still a bit new and confused by the MR issue since the only MF runs I did on B.net was in the pit on hell.

Borlag said:
I think www.d2data.net might have his TC listed right, and the drop calculator aswel, you could check there if he's worth your time :)
Good lord Borlag!! Reply fast enough?!? :xeek:

Thanks for the link I'm checking it now I'll post back with the findings :xgift:

*chuckles* ah well, there's been so many people telling that no one's faster than me on the replies that it's not even funny anymore...

I'm not 100% sure if the data there is right but AFAIK only the tc90 stuff are wrong there...

d2data is good for special bosses (act bosses, nihlathak, griswold, radament, summoner), but everything that is affected by area level->monster level->TC is potentially wrong there.

Okay if I read this right, NM Griswald has better drop capability than NM Mephesto!!

Reason 1 --- No Drop Probibilty of a. Griswold 0% b. Meph 18%

Reason 2 --- Max Weapon Rank of a. Griswold lvl 66 b. Meph lvl 54

Reason 3 --- Max Armor Rank of a. Griswold lvl 66 b. Meph lvl 54

Reason 4 --- Easier to find location and Easier to kill. Over all Faster to hunt Griswold

Reason 5 --- Improved Chances to drop Griswolds Set items (according to what Borlag posted earlier)

Reason 6 --- This little SOB can drop VEX runes!!! :xeek:

Reason 1 for not running Griswold -- The chart for Griswold has some sort of special listing for Melee weapons on it. This section is were Griswolds drops are most likely to come from and these only go up to lvl 39 items. However the odds of him dropping the highest end of these is very very good.

So I'll let you all decide for yourselves, but the numbers atleast appear to be in Grizzy's favor.

Hi,

His stats look so good, but he does not seem to drop a lot while really running. In my experience Andariel NM makes better droppings that Griswold.

But by all means, let my opinion not disturb you and please post findings if you make nice ones. (try to count nr of runs with items of you do a lot of them so you can post a bit of statistiks on your findings)

Personally I runs these Bosses when I am close to them (same Act) and just need a bit more exp. Killing all around (plenty of boss pack for nice exp) and a nice superunique to test your luck.

Randall

Reason 1 : True, but meph drops up to 6 items, griswold 2
Reason 4 : Hmm, it takes some time, but it's possible to get a good meph map, where stairs to durance 3 are like a screen or two away from wp.
Reason 5 : I think he was pulling your leg...

From my experience, Griswold (I ran him in Hell, because he had the best chance to drop a Herald of Zakarum in the game) isn't worth it. He'll drop around 2-3 items, but he doesn't drop as other special monsters, magic items and up, he's able to drop white and socketed items, so you'll likely end up with 2 magics per run if you're lucky, with a rare from time to time, and maybe a set/unique every 50-100 runs

All in all, not worth the run imo :(

Borlag, too bad that the only item he can drop from his own set is the armour, and that is in his highest TC, which is the same for NM and Hell.

Ragnarod said:
From my experience, Griswold (I ran him in Hell, because he had the best chance to drop a Herald of Zakarum in the game) isn't worth it. He'll drop around 2-3 items, but he doesn't drop as other special monsters, magic items and up, he's able to drop white and socketed items, so you'll likely end up with 2 magics per run if you're lucky, with a rare from time to time, and maybe a set/unique every 50-100 runs

All in all, not worth the run imo :(

Theres the problem tho Rag. According to the charts the NM Grizzy and the Hell Grizzy have the same drop range. lvl 66 is as high as it gets. The only difference is in Hell he drops from the higher range more often. Thats were Grizzy can come in handy. Hit NM and your shy on gear for your charactor or want to try and get some gear for a new charactor and do some Grizzy runs.

I will try to do about 100 or so runs tomorrow on Grizzy with my necro at about 180% MF. Not the greatest of MF but I'm using socketed items and he's untwinked being my first SCL charactor to make it past act II Normal with out someone doing something to him on me to make me pull him.

Edit :: Okay I will relent and accept that numbers lie and math and statistics of probibility are all false. I started my Griz test and was managing to do two runs per minute. Great time yes, but none the less dissapointing. I found only one item of use to me, a four socket armor so i can get more MF. The rest were normal blues. What is intereasting however is that one of these blues was a phase blade. I thought these could only drop in Hell? Is this yet another one of Grizzy's mystries? The guy who can drop VEX's in act 1 NM but drops magic daggers more often... sheesh....

True Story Here. After all this discussion I decided to make a few runs into NM Tristrum with my 1.09 Wirtadin, just for something to kill a half hour or so. Griz himself dropped bugger all, but on my third run a unique skeleton dropped a CEDAR BOW. :surprise: My merc now carries to with pride. :D :D

I like make MF run in Tristram , NM and Hell.
you have a unique at entry, he can drop good stuff.
you have Griswold
you have 2 ohter big boss with good stuff possible
you have 3 blues monsters that drop golds and regeneration potion (and in 1.09 blue potion)
so in a short time
gold
no loose potion ,
item

less dangerous than mephysto and all that in a short place.

TheNix said:
True Story Here. After all this discussion I decided to make a few runs into NM Tristrum with my 1.09 Wirtadin, just for something to kill a half hour or so. Griz himself dropped bugger all, but on my third run a unique skeleton dropped a CEDAR BOW. :surprise: My merc now carries to with pride. :D :D

Umm... Color me the Sound of Music but what in the frell is a Wirtadin?!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High