Newbie SP Question - Duriel

cheeseypoof

Feb 28, 2008
Newbie SP Question - Duriel

Ok, I have recently purchased Diablo II, and have been making my way through single player on my own, will go online later after I finish the game.

My question is this:
Can I affect Duriel with a Choking Potion or Exploding Potion? I have a handful of both and was wondering if they would have any affect on him or it would just be a waste.

Re: Newbie SP Question - Duriel

Welcome to the game, and to this forum!

The potions will affect Duriel, but not much . . . It might be a fun way to use a few up, if you can stay clear of his charge attack, but I predict you'll be happier killing him off with higher damage attacks and moving on to the next act. :badteeth:

I attempted to simply smash him to death at a clvl 22, that didn't go so well. I have since run around smashing and maiming everything I could find, and am at a lvl27, so I think I will try it again, plus I have a few better pieces of jewelry to help...I hope.

One piece of advice for Duriel is to let him back u up against a wall. If u are against the wall he can no longer use his charge attack which helps alot.

Is it possible to beat him without having to go back to town at least once?

Is it possible to beat him without having to go back to town at least once?
What kind of char do you play? A little more info on that and your build would make it easier to give some advice.

Are you using a merc? If not, that would help killing him faster.

Very possible. The last time when I remember having to go back to town during killing Duriel, was about 2 years ago, with an untwinked Huntermentalist druid, who prefered to pre-buff his Dire Wolves with a +1 druid skills +3 Summon Dire Wolf pelt. And I forgot to take the pelt with me to Duriels chamber. This was in Nightmare difficulty, iirc.

Ok, I have no idea what you just said San, lol.

I have a Paladin, I do not have a Merc, might get one though. I have a two-handed sword with the following stats:
Damage:1-34
100% Enhanced Damage
Adds 10-30 Cold Damage
9% Mana Stolen per hit
9% Life Stolen Per Hit
Cold Resist 20%
-2 to Light Radius

Cathan's Seal Ring
6% Life Stolen Per Hit
Damage Reduced by 2

Cathan's Mesh Chain Mail
Defense 90
+15 Defense
Req -50%

Not sure what I have with the combo of wearing both pieces of the set.

Corpse Crest Mask
Defense 38
10% Faster Hit Recovery
+5% Attack Rating
+39% Enhanced Defense
Lightning Resist +30%
Fire Resist +13%
+1 to Light Radius

Stone Lash Belt
Defense 14
10% Faster Hit Recovery
17% Enhanced Defense
+3 to Life
Replenish Life +4
+19 to Maximum Damage

Carrion Knuckle Light Gauntlets
Defense 14
+10 to Attack Rating
+22% Enhanced Defense
+1 to Strength
Half Freeze Duration
15% MF
+2 to Light Radius

Is that what you needed to know? I have no idea right now what my skill are set to, would have to check when I get home from work.

Never seen that +19 on a belt before. Is that possible?
And useable at such a low clvl? That belt does more damage than his weapon - if it's legit I'm going to have to be finding some gear with that mod for low level twinking.

Whoops, totally my fault, thats +19 Stamina lol sorry. I gambled and won the belt :)

I was going to say with the +19 max damage he should be easy :D

cheeseypoof said:
Ok, I have recently purchased Diablo II, and have been making my way through single player on my own, will go online later after I finish the game.
Congrats on buying a very fun and addictive game. I would suggest connecting to battle.net (you can do this from the main game menu) even if you don't plan on playing online just yet. This will automatically update your game to the latest version, v1.11b, which is what most people play here (however, see a note at the end of this post for why you might not want to do this immediately). I recommend this because people will be dispensing well-meaning but perhaps useless advice because what holds true for one version doesn't necessarily apply for another.
cheeseypoof said:
My question is this:
Can I affect Duriel with a Choking Potion or Exploding Potion? I have a handful of both and was wondering if they would have any affect on him or it would just be a waste.
I'd sell the potions. The various offensive potions in the game aren't well done. While the idea is great in theory, in practice the damage just doesn't measure up. They might work well in very early stages of the game, but they also sell for respectable cash, so you're usually best off just trading them in.

My advice for beating Duriel: grab a shield and a fast one-handed weapon, and just keep plugging away. If you're playing in an early version, know that he's one of the toughest fights in the game. In fact, before they fixed things in a later version, you'd often find yourself dead to his Charge attack even before the level finished loading up (ie, before you had a chance to start fighting back). This was especially true on computers closer to the minimum system requirements for running the game.

If you're familiar with some online games, you might have heard the term 'mule' before. A mule in a game is a character used to hold excess gear, with the intent of moving it between characters. ATMA is a program designed to facilitate this in Diablo II. You can move your items into an ATMA stash (different from the in-game stash), or to another character. While this is a third-party program, it's accepted in the community here, as it doesn't allow you to do anything you couldn't otherwise do (with a lot more effort, such as having a friend open a multiplayer game to allow you to move your gear around). If you're using an OS besides Windows, you might be interested in checking out the similar GoMule program. There should be links to both programs in this thread here.

Back to what I was saying above, about version: you should let us know what version you're playing, and we can help you out more then. Also, are you playing with the expansion set? Almost everyone here has it, and with the exception of a few people playing classic (non-expansion) characters for nostalgia or the challenge of it, most people play expansion characters.

If you're playing classic, and you have not yet upgraded to the latest version, there is a potential exploit. I don't feel bad mentioning this, as almost any long-time player will know about it (plus it's not cheating, even if it is a bit cheesy). This exploit has two components. The first part is that in early versions (v1.06 and earlier, to my knowledge) you have decent odds of gambling a set or unique item (in current versions, the chance is very low). The second part is that when the game creates (as part of an item drop from a killed monster, opened chest, or gambled item) a ring or amulet that is determined to be unique (based on several factors), there is a pattern. The first unique ring will be a Nagelring. If another unique ring is created while a Nagelring already exists in the game, it will be Manald Heal. The third time is the charm, as this ring will be a Stone of Jordan (a highly-coveted and rare magical ring). In a similar manner, unique amulets spawn in a certain order, but the best of the lot here is the Eye of Etlich (the second one).

Using this approach, you can obtain these items with relative (key word here) ease. It's still a lot of work, especially as you need to exit town to get the NPC's 'gamble' selection to refresh, and rings/amulets aren't always offered for gambling (they are in current versions). Also, you'll need to do a bunch of killing to get the necessary gold, but all in all, it's worth it. It's also a now-or-never proposition; once you upgrade the game, there's no going back without reinstalling it (and then you'll need to remake your character if you've opened him up in the game after upgrading). Lastly, it's a real pain to mule the gear off your character (you cannot obtain a second Stone of Jordan while you're still holding the first); the easiest way is to join a multiplayer game and transfer the item to another character in that fashion. You can even do this on one computer using Windows XP's 'fast user switching' if you have this enabled; simply run an instance of the game under each of two different accounts. Switching back and forth is a hassle, but it's at least possible. The reason you need to jump through all these hoops to mule stuff is that ATMA doesn't work for these early versions. I'm honestly not sure if it works for classic Diablo II at all, which is one more reason to grab a copy of the expansion set.

Besides gambling Stones of Jordan, there are some other useful unique items that you can gamble. A few examples are Gull (dagger, gives a better chance of finding magic items), Tarnhelm (skull cap, gives more magic find, +1 to all skills), and Treads of Cthon (chain boots, lets you run fast and far). Of course, these items can be found in later versions fairly easily, and they are all rendered obsolete by better, expansion-set-only items later in the game. A Stone of Jordan, on the other hand, never goes out of style (my level 93 sorceress still uses hers, and it's super helpful).

Blah. Well that was a fairly long post. Anyways, welcome to the forum, write an introduction thread and tell us a few things about yourself. You'll find that people here are a pretty friendly lot in general.

side note- potions sell for the same amount whether the quantity left is 1 or 20, so if you use them save the last one, you still get the full benifits of the gold.

"Its called having your cake, and eating it too."

Not to answer Duriel question, but I suggest you reading this one:

Guide to Untwinked, Single-pass, early game Magic Finding

It really helps you in early game. I just started HC Barbarian, Singer (uses only War Cries skills) and I've been very lucky and effective. The guide helped me much to increase my mf at start and of course got my drops better.

About Duriel, I've always found the best way is to get Duriel attack against myself and leave the merc backjabbing Duriel. That way it keeps your strong merc in safe and you just need to focus your own life bulb. Of course it won't be easy if your life is very low, but I've found out that only my sorceresses had too low life to do that.

and welcome to forums :wave:

Thanks for all the help. I am hoping to get some time tonight to take another shot a Duriel, haven't really had a lot of playing time lately. I will have to check on the version when I get home.

I'd sell the potions. The various offensive potions in the game aren't well done. While the idea is great in theory, in practice the damage just doesn't measure up. They might work well in very early stages of the game, but they also sell for respectable cash, so you're usually best off just trading them in.

This brought up a question in my mind. I've played LoD from 1.09 never the classic version.

Now for the question:

Is there any version where Lysander sells explosive potions?

In one of his speeches he recommend to buy his explosive potions but at least in LoD 1.11b he doesn't sell them.

Topi

iirc, he doesnt mention explosive potions, i believe he says something about his *random adjective* potions or something of the such.

I could highly be mistaken though, you could go listen to the speech again.

iirc, he doesnt mention explosive potions, i believe he says something about his *random adjective* potions or something of the such.

I could highly be mistaken though, you could go listen to the speech again.

Lysander, second speech on Radament:

"Ah Peppermint.. O Radament. Yes, yes, O! A foul creature. Mh. Some of my exploding potions should do quit nicely against him. They usually work well against undead."

I'm not very good on translittering grunts to english, but that's it anyways.

Explosive or esploding same thing IMHO.

Topi

Last edited:

Hi and welcome, cheesey!

The only thing I have to interject at this point is to really take a look at upgrading that weapon you're swinging. I understand this is your first character, and you don't use Atma so you don't have access to the variety of items that I (and probably others on this forum) take for granted. Nonetheless, it should be possible to find a two-handed weapon that does more than 100 damage on the high end fairly easily. For comparison's sake, my barbarian who's at the same level and will be fighting Duriel as soon as I decide to take the time is wielding a Bonesnap maul, with a damage range of 104-145. Now, it isn't necessarily reasonable to expect to find something with that kind of damage first time around- heck, it took me quuite a while to find that one :wink3: But, pay attention to the merchant's weapon selections every time you're in town. If you like the idea of going with a two-handed weapon, a polearm with a good % extra damage prefix will really help pump up your damage output and make taking Duri down much easier!

And, good luck!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High