New Computer.... woot! D2 won't run.... drat!

Re: New Computer.... woot! D2 won't run.... drat!

I finally got 1.07 to launch *WOOT!*- I used the Windows7 Compatibility Tool and an install to the C: directory. Now I have that color glitch I've read about - I used the glide wrapper back in 2009, so I'll see if I can get that installed and get a copy of the game directory patched to 1.09.

I think from memory I had this issue with older patches in Vista (haven't tried running older patches on Win 7). I think I fixed it by creating an image of my play disk and mounting it using daemon tools.

Edit: that was for the doing nothing on launch (and I may have been using version switcher)

There's a simple and somewhat incomprehensible way to fix the colour glitch that worked for me (of course I can't guarantee it will work for you).

You right click on the desktop and click the "Screen resolution" option, then just leave open the options window that pops up. You can even minimise it. Then just start the game, and everything should be OK. It also works for other old Blizzard games - it fixed the exact same colour glitch for me when playing Diablo 1.

Well, 1.13 works fine, and I was able to get RWM working as well, so at least my 1.13 characters are up and running. However, even with the fixes discussed here, I can't launch 1.07-1.10 - I had 1.07 working after using the built-in compatibility fix, but as soon as I copied the directory and patched it to 1.09, neither worked. So, I tried the Trenshadow approach, and 1.13 still runs fine (the color glitch goes away if you start a game, then exit, but it really doesn't look as good as it did on my old computer - I might still install Glide Wrapper), but the other patches still fail... the game doesn't launch (and a most irritating issue with 1.10a is you get stuck with the spinning disc cursor). SO, based on this experience and some research of posts here, I think the problem lies with the fact that the disc is necessary for the old patches. I want to try mounting an ISO image to see if that fixes the problem.... anyone have experience with using an ISO image to bypass the problem?

The only way I could get D2 to start properly in running in window mode. It is fine for me. I could only let starcraft (not the SC2) run in window mode with the help of chaoslauncher.

Is it installed in one of those AppData directories? If so you should reinstall into another, preferably something like C:\Games\Diablo II. Alternative you can just move it and change two registry entries*. People seem to be resistant against this even though it's 20 times as fast...

*HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II\InstallPath
*HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II\Save Path

If you get graphical problems, Sven's Glide wrapper and/or windowed mode is worth a try.

If you copy and paste an install directory, it causes problems with the registry entries? That may explain my problem, because I've gotten a fresh install of 1.07 to open, and a patched 1.13 install, but when I've copied and pasted the directories to patch to 1.09, 1.10a, etc., nothing runs after that. And my TrenShadow install renamed all my .dll files to some other extension, so now that doesn't work.

Man I hate Windows7. I've been reduced to comtemplating a departure and a 1.09/1.10a/1.13 giveaway.

So, please help me out - how does one look into the registration entries? Will I be set if I do independent installs from the disc (5 times - ugh!)?

On a bright note, I've finally gotten the opportunity to spend some time with Civ V. It's pretty cool.

As I said before RobbyD, I used an ISO mounted with Daemon tools (with some sort of copy protection by pass on) and it worked perfectly.

If you copy and paste an install directory, it causes problems with the registry entries? That may explain my problem, because I've gotten a fresh install of 1.07 to open, and a patched 1.13 install, but when I've copied and pasted the directories to patch to 1.09, 1.10a, etc., nothing runs after that. And my TrenShadow install renamed all my .dll files to some other extension, so now that doesn't work.
Incorrect registry entries shouldn't prevent D2 from launching, although they could cause saves to end up in the wrong places. As for your TrenShadow install, try running the RecoverFromCrash.vbs script.

So, please help me out - how does one look into the registration entries? Will I be set if I do independent installs from the disc (5 times - ugh!)?
There's only one set of D2 registry keys. In order to get separate saves per version you'll need to change that set, either manually or through something like TrenShadow's switcher.

I have some experience with multiple installs but very little with Trenshadow, so I'm not going to even try helping you with the latter. Multiple installs takes up some space but it's definitely easier to debug.

As muzzz said, copy and pasting shouldn't be a problem. How do you go about patching the installs, i.e. how do you know you're patching the correct directory?

The easiest would be to do a fresh 1.07 install to C:\Games\Diablo II and copy the contents into C:\Games\Diablo 1.07. Then patch to 1.09 (C:\Games\Diablo II will be patched) and again copy the contents of C:\Games\Diablo II, this time obviously into C:\Games\Diablo II 1.09. Repeat until you've got patched folders for everything you want to play and finally patch the original C:\Games\Diablo II folder to 1.13. The save games for all versions will go into C:\Games\Diablo II\save. If you get everything running I could write you a set of .reg files to fix that, but lets get there first...

If the actual CD in your drive doesn't work I don't know why an ISO would, but it's obviously worth a try. You can make one with Nero or CDBurnerXP (excellent free app) and mount it with Daemon tools like Jcakes said.

also rightclick your shortcuts and press run as administrator, you can also press properties and on the compatability tab check always run as administrator and always run in windows xp compatability mode... (that is what did the trick for me)

Also what Hubb says is working very well!

I think from memory I had this issue with older patches in Vista (haven't tried running older patches on Win 7). I think I fixed it by creating an image of my play disk and mounting it using daemon tools.

Edit: that was for the doing nothing on launch (and I may have been using version switcher)

OK, I've taken a nice little break from D2, played Civ 5 a bit, and gotten caught up on some TV shows, so I'm ready to give this another try (I miss playing my Zons and the phat loot my Teslot has been collecting), so I'm hoping this approach does the trick (I've tried numerous time messing with the permissions on the play files).

If I try this, do I only need to mount an image of my Expansion disc since I don't play classic?

Yeah, just mount the expansion disk. Double check the copywrite protection emulation on Daemon tools.

How do you make the game look in the mounted virtual drive instead of the DVD drive?

I think you have to change a registy entry, I can't check it atm as I am at work.

The alternative is to install it from the mounted images.

A ground up from-disc install then a patch for each patch I want to play APPEARS to have done the trick. I've successfully installed and launched 1.07, 1.09, 1.10a, 1.10s, and 1.13.

I'm too brain-dead to deal with the multi-instance stuff and to bring my saved characters over after all those installs, but *fingers crossed*, it appears to finally work.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and help.

Woot :D

Your PC sees the virtual drive as just like any other drive so it should look there automatically.

Woot! Indeed, it seems to be working fine now! Got my characters copied over, got ATMA going and made sure muling works. RWM works for my 1.13 install. The only thing I haven't done is to see if I can get the multi-instance mod running on my 1.10a patch.

Even got some progress on my dual-Zon project.

I run Win7 myself. My install is on a usb, with every other D2 program I might need in it ( Like GoMule, run counters etc. ). I had some problems running it on Win7 at first, but that was only fps issues, which was fixed with -w command. 3dglide might help too, but I was too lazy to download it. :D
I only had to use compatibility mode when trying to run Trenchshadow's version switcher.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High