Need help optimizing my Pit Runner

rafquad

Feb 17, 2012
Need help optimizing my Pit Runner

Hey there folks! :)

So, I've been doing The Pits with my Strafer for quite a while now. She's leveled from clvl76-90 almost exclusively in there, and now that I believe I have optimized her gear, I'm interested in deciding what players setting and MF% to settle for.

I am interested mostly in Runes and Socketables/Charms/Gems/Jewels, but I would like to run with 100-120% MF too if that doesn't hurt the chances to find socketables too much (I'm looking for a 4os/plain eth elite polearm for Infinity). From my experience, after lots of runs with exactly 100% on, I was finding quite a few sets/uniques (avg of 1 green or gold every run methinks - yes, indeed), so I'd like to carry on with that MF ammount if it doesn't hurt the odds of finding socketables too much.

Here's a few questions:

1. How much does it hurt the chance to find plains and socketables when I have ~100-120% MF on? From the Area lvl 85 Guide on diablowiki, it seems that with 200% MF on there's only an 8% decrease in the average number of non-magicals. I find that quite amusing and hard to believe, though, because I feel that a find a lot more blues with as little as 20-50% MF compared to 0% MF. Is it really so that 200% MF only hurts finding plains/socketables in 8%?

2. It takes me a little under 7 minutes to do a /players5 run. It's closer to 6m40s actually. And a little under 5 minutes to do a /players3 run (4m50s). Which setting should I settle for? Keep in mind that, at clvl90, I'm not concerned about experience gained, just items found.

3. Is 5-7 minutes acceptable for p3-5 runs in The Pits, or should I try to optimize her kill speed even further? Should I run on players1 instead? How fast can you guys run The Pit with a non-teleport character?

Thanks a lot, in advance :)

Last edited:
Re: Need help optimizing my Pit Runner

Code:
/p1 1.00
/p3 1.63
/p5 2.02
/p7 2.28

This is the rate drop from normal monsters. As far as I know, uniques and superuniques are not affected by player settings.

Seeing the table, to remain competitive with /p3 you'd have to do 6 minute /p5 runs, so I'd suggest doing /p3 clears.

1. I'm too lazy to look up/check the exact numbers now (sorry), but ye, a bit of MF doesn't hurt your odds of finding socketables that much while giving you the occasional unique. I know there are plenty people who aim for ~150 on their MFing and area clearing chars so what you're doing is just fine.

2. ^As above. This applies to just about every MFing scenario - generally the increase in drops from P3 to P5 isn't enough to make up for the increased run time (there are obviously exceptions).

3. A Harmony on switch maybe? You can use it to run around, take out the weaker stuff and/or switch to it once amp procs.

@Fyou: Thanks man! I'm now using GSA + Atma's Scarab and 150% IAS total, which is one further bp for MS. I think I can now do 6min p5 runs or very close to that. I'll time some runs and act accordingly :)

@hubb: So it was right to have some MF% on, cool! And ironically, on the first run with 100% MF again, a 4os eth Cryptic Axe dropped, LOL:

View attachment 928

Pretty awful roll though, but I probably can't complain... I did get to Infinity :)

Also I already have Harmony on switch, sry for forgetting to mention :oops: and I guess it's a bit embarassing, then, to be doing runs at that speed *with* Harmony, yes? :s

And like I mentioned, I found Atma's Scarab so I can have WWS's biggest strenght while firing from an upd GSA, so I'll time some runs with that setup. I think I can do p5 runs in 6 minutes now, which would optimize it. Either way I guess p3 is the best overall, huh? Specially because I'll be killing more bosses over time that way, and with MF% on it should be better.

@thefrank: That guide is the same one on diablowiki :) thanks for linking it directly to me, looks like having MF% on indeed only barely hurts the odds of plains/socketables ^^

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High