Need help increasing MF

McGruber08

Mar 28, 2020
So I'm actually using a fire/cold sorc in D2R right now, and was wondering the quickest way to build MF up. Its been a while and I'm rusty.

I've been just level grinding and doing NM Andy/Meph runs, and MF is just 37% right now. I'm playing Multiplayer as its now not runeword ladder restricted.

I'm level 58, with Access to Hell but only mediocre gear. I was given Leaf and Stealth by a friend to help me out since I've been busy at work a lot.

Last edited:
You can also gamble as early as ~level 12 for gloves and boots (leather gloves and plain boots because of their lower qlvl) with MF. Starting Act II normal you can also shop for them (suffix "of fortune", up to 25% MF). Halbu even sells boots "of luck" for MF up to 40%. It is easier to shop at Anya's for Greaves of Luck though because of the Portal right next to her (quickly enter and leave Pindle's garden to reset her wares).

Reactions: BKC
you go to the boss in normal gear and leave him a little life, go back to town and change all gear to magic find, go back and kill the boss.

example:
9.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

= 424% MF + SC
you can also use a Crystal sword (4xIST) + 4 socket shield (4xIST) + Gheed Fortune (Grand Charm)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nokk and BKC
When being short at good resources, it's probably better to do MF with a single element sorceress. In my opinion, the most effective one is a blizzard sorc. She's basically able to do decent MF with no equipment at all, so you can equip her with any MF gear you have, without having to bother much about other issues.

My blizzard sorc is currently set up for MF like this (I'm still pretty poor):

Helm: Crown with 3 ptopazes... Peasant Crown for non-MF jobs (Lore runeword is OK as well)
Weapon: Ali Baba (lucky find at nightmare Mephisto)... a Spirit runeword sword when it's not about MF
Shield: Rhyme
Armor 3 ptopaz breastplate (I have a 4 socket dusk shroud, but I'm lacking ptopazes to fill up the sockets)... Stealth runeword for non-MF issues
Gloves: Frostburn (no Chanceguards yet)
Belt: Goldwrap
Boots: Rare 25%MF
Rings: Rare fcr rings (for some reason I haven't found any Nagelrings while I farmed nightmare Mephisto, but 2x Ravenfrost and Dwarfstar)
Charms: A single 6 or 7% MF charm

That sums up to a bit more than 300%MF.

Merc: Act 2 nightmare defensive:
Tal's mask
Duriel's Shell
Insight (in a nonethereal partizan or so)

That's good enough to ensure his survival (so my sorc benefits from Insight's meditation aura), as long as I'm making tactical teleports in order to keep him away from deadly situations... and making monsters running towards my sorc, crossing her blizzard death zones.

She's able to do /players 1 hell Tunnels (act 2 Forgotten City) with that gear (higher /players settings don't increase the amount of loot from random bosses BTW). Her resists still suck a lot, so I have to be careful not to be obliterated by the lightning skeletons there. I'm currently working on getting her to Hell Mephisto.

L58 might be too low for a two-element sorc in hell mode. Better remain in nightmare for a while, doing Mephisto (at /players 3 for maximum drops) and cows (provides excellent exp and decent loot at a low risk). Better wait until L75 or so.

I suggest to set the game language for textual information to English, so you have an easier time to get along in an international audience. The audio settings can remain at German. BTW, I'm German myself.

Reactions: KremBanan
Also Rhyme as a shield for another easy 25%. When you switch to spirit monarch, you can keep it on swap. It's a good shield anyway because of the Can't Be Frozen mod.
Thank you all. I got a Rhyme shield now, Goldwrap, 3 PTopaz Griswalds, and my MF is now 214%

I found a 40% Gheed's, but been slow finding anything other than typical uniques. No shakos for example, but I have found venom grip, venom ward and things like that, worth keeping for weak characters I have.

Thank you all. I got a Rhyme shield now, Goldwrap, 3 PTopaz Griswalds, and my MF is now 214%

I found a 40% Gheed's, but been slow finding anything other than typical uniques. No shakos for example, but I have found venom grip, venom ward and things like that, worth keeping for weak characters I have.
Heh, you'll be seeing Venom Ward again. And again. And again. Breastplate is the most common drop I believe, so Venom Ward is also the most common unique. With Isenhart's Case as the most common set item. Congrats on the Gheed's, that's a nice one.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High