MFO Question for possible participants

Prizes or no prizes, that is the question.

• Keep things as they are (winner takes items)

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • No prizes for winners

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Winners get trophies from host

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters
Re: MFO Question for possible participants

@mareek: in D2 are worse things than lose your best grailer :)

True. I'll be participating no matter what jjscud decides since, even if I lose a DF (which I don't plan on doing...), I'll get over it.

And even if I do lose a Fathom, I still have a Death's Web, and that's even rarer. ;)

Well,

Most (all?) of the other magic finding tournaments either have protected items or no item taking at all.....The whole point is the one tourny where the only way to protect your items is to win!

I fully agree with this. In other MF tourney I accept whatever host set, but in MFO I like this tradiction. I will cry a lot if I lose grailer, but in a way it is exciting and big motivation to do the best. This risk is good spice.

IMHO, no protection makes this the best MF tournament in SPF. Everyone's doing their best to win, so no one can take items from them + they get to choose 4 items from other people. If you change the rules no one's going to be putting much effort into it, and MFO will loose it's meaning.

I agree with winner taking items, no protection, for the same reasons most have already mentioned. Having that one tournament where winning really counts is good. Even better if it's an old tradition.

Since I just made the switch a couple months ago to HC my grail is pretty empty. However, I still like the idea that this is the only tournament you aren't protected in. Either leave it the same or add a 1 item protection rule if the majority favors it. Hopefully I'll be done with my single-tree-sin before the tourney so I can enter.

I vote to keep it the way it is, with winner taking items and no protection of items.

In past MFO's, I've found Crown of Ages, Stormlash, and Death's Web, (maybe more), and lost them all to the winner. If there is item protection, then the guy that does 100 or fewer Baal runs and finds a nice item, has no motivation to do more runs. He/she is not giving the MFO their full attention or effort, THAT is what it is about to me. EFFORT. Lots of times, your effort doesn't produce much, but that's the odds of things in D2.

If you do find a nice item, then the motivation to try and find another is doubled, and you pour your life into it, staying up into the wee hours of the night, playing ALL day on the weekends, etc. That's what I enjoy about it, along with the opportunity to find stuff!

I do have one question, i just got my mfer up to where i want here... when is this MFO going to start?

I'm not rich by far as the other members of this forum are. I'm self-found, and don't trade, running RRM/RWM version 1.12. Is there a reason someone such as myself can't/shouldn't participate in the MFO?

I think that after playing this game for as long as I have, I need to participate and be a "member" of the forums, rather than spending all my time lurking. I don't think that with the amount of time I have available to play nowadays, what with 3 daughter's, I would be able to make a run for winning, but hey, I'll give up a grailer or two to someone who does put forth the kind of effort needed to win such a prestigious tournament.

I would love to see this full rule set so I know what I would be getting myself into.

I think the MFO is different because one can loose items but then that makes it all the more pressing to win. There are plenty of other tournaments where items are protected or one can choose to play in different prise categories so keeping this one as is should be fine. Personally I would not participate as I don't like loosing grailers but I would probably run concurrently for my own grail hunt and just compare to what everyone else has found. Then if I do find Tyrials I won't loose it!

It's a pity that a system of poker like bid and counter-bid cannot be put in place and the winner gets the pot.

**Remember I don't go in for tourneys of any kind so if this idea is stupid, just ignore it.**

I realized that i didn't post here, but i didn't know where it went hehe.

I vote to not take items because I am hc/vanilla and wouldn't be able to take items anyway. The special olympics sound like a great idea to me.

I love tradition as much as the next guy, and have no problems with giving away good items. I think that the idea of having a special olympics and a MFO is pretty good. The only problem as I see it, is that the special olympics will be huge compared to the MFO. We will probably get a scenario where people don`t enter the MFO because the special olympics is available(I would be one of those, as I play self-found), and that might be a problem for the MFO-runners.

I'd probably also join the special Olympics if it was available. I don't think that it will detract too much from the MFO, on the contrary I think it will involve more people in the broader tournament in general.

I voted #3 - taking a trophy from the host. The main reason was that there are so many mod/HC/SC combiations, that it makes taking prizes advantageous for some players(the "most tainted" ones), while discriminating others(HC Vanilla etc). The MFO should be even-handed for all participants IMO.

However, I agree that taking prizes is a strongly stimulating factor which makes the MFO unique. To be honest, if I had to vote again, I would be very very indecisive.

And while I'm at it, I will seize this oportunity to oficially return the prize I have taken from jrlaflance ~2 years ago.

@jrlafrance: I remember it was a very painful loss for you, but I insisted on taking it, because I wanted it so badly. Long time has passed and I find myself playing mainly HC, so I think this is the right time to return it back to the rightful owner.

Death's Web
Unearthed Wand
One-Hand Damage: 33 to 42
Durability: 10 of 10
Required Strength: 15
Required Level: 66
Staff Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 88
Fingerprint: 0x72c9416d
Lightning Resist +30%
+12 Life after each Kill
150% Damage to Undead
+2 to All Skill Levels
+12 to Mana After Each Kill
+2 to Poison and Bone Skills (Necromancer Only)
-44% to Enemy Poison Resistance
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 1 used)

I have put light res. jewel in it and brought it forward to 1.12, so it is now 1.12 SC RRM/RWM. If you are OK with it, let me know your e-mail address and I'll send it to you right away. I hope you will now hate me a bit less:grin::wave:

Well, if there will be time on my hands during the MFO event (lot of exams this year and I have to pass them all for a change) and I decide to join, then I vote for the classic. Bah, why care for items anyway? They are useless - in days of LK and HF rushing, the real thing is LO, BER or JAH:D So those petty S/Us are useless for me unless they come in PACKS. All or nothing is way to go for me :) (as long as I can keep all the runes, charms and jewels.. errr ;) )

Bah, why care for items anyway? They are useless - in days of LK and HF rushing, the real thing is LO, BER or JAH:D

I really doubt if you could beat items like DW, DF, Windforce, Stormlash etc by runewords. High runewords are for really hard working people, bnet players and cheaters, the others prefer good gaming even without Enigma and Infinity...

I'm self-found, and don't trade, running RRM/RWM version 1.12. Is there a reason someone such as myself can't/shouldn't participate in the MFO?

Nope, none at all. I'm in the same boat as yourself and still participate in the MF tournaments. I've never come vaguely close to winning. It's more about increasing my stashes with the mid-level items that no one would consider taking, for use later on future characters. The tournaments simply provide motivation for the runs I prefer not to do. :coffee:

Bah, why care for items anyway? They are useless - in days of LK and HF rushing, the real thing is LO, BER or JAH:D So those petty S/Us are useless for me unless they come in PACKS.

You are playing without belt,gloves,boots and jewelery? Runewords are only very small part of your gear and without good items with your "allmighty" runewords you are still useless. If you want spent all your life in LK good luck for it but if you think that you will find enigma, forti or infinity during few days or weeks gg then

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High