Max Block vs Vitality: Hardcore

Bad Ash

Jul 16, 2003
Max Block vs Vitality: Hardcore

Hey guys,

quick question for anyone who knows about this, but I was wondering what the best route is in terms of where to spend your points. basically its 800 life with min block compared to...I think 500 life with max block? Whats the best route to take?

(this is with a spirit monarch shield)

Re: Max Block vs Vitality: Hardcore

Spirit doesn't +block rate therefore you need to invest a huge amount of dexterity to achieve max block. If it is a must to use a spirit monarch, I will go for all vit. If mas block is a must then I will switch the shield to something else like Visceratuant or so.

IMO, a non-paladin shouldn't go for max blocking if the intended shield doesn't add to blocking (paladins don't need it on the shield, they have holy shield). For example, a sorc would need more than 200 dex with a Spirit shield. If you want blocking, better use a different shield. A sorc could use Visceratuant, for example.

Edit: IntelligentX was quicker with half of what I wrote

Last edited:

Unless you have tons of 1x20 life SCs at hand, going for max block with spirit isn't exactly a good idea for reasons mentioned above.

IMO, a non-paladin shouldn't go for max blocking if the intended shield doesn't add to blocking (paladins don't need it on the shield, they have holy shield). For example, a sorc would need more than 200 dex with a Spirit shield. If you want blocking, better use a different shield. A sorc could use Visceratuant, for example.

Edit: IntelligentX was quicker with half of what I wrote

Ownt!
I don't know we need 200 dexterity on achieving max block with a spirit shield though. And your version is more in-depth than mine too :scratchchin:

/vouch krischan.

any non-paladin shooting for max block with a Spirit monarch is suicidal, especially in HC.

even Pally's should shoot for max block with a spirit Monarch (a spirit Pally shield on the other hand is eminently doable).

The real reason why not block with spirit isnt the dexterity penalty - with good enough charms and cta, the marginal amount of life lost isnt that much. However the block speed without faster block rate is terrible, and causes block lock, kinda like the amazon dodge lock.
This is also a common problem in classic with sorcs who go 3diamond tower shield with twitch - they get the block but slow block means block lock

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High