Matriarch twirlybird the Whirlwind Assassin

little birdy

May 11, 2022
IMG_0052.jpegIMG_0051.jpegIMG_0050.jpeg

For this character, I really wanted Whirlwind to be the main event, not just an add-in skill. So I decided that twirlybird would keep to a strict diet of only using Shadow Disciplines. No ice cream--or Martial Arts or Traps--for 30 days!

Normal difficulty was slower than average. I didn't have great low-level twinking gear to work with. It was not difficult by any means, but it was a bit slow. The pace picked up near the end of Normal going into NM, as I could equip dual Bartuc's Cut-Throat at level 42. Bartuc's were a huge upgrade over the crummy claws I was using previously. When I could finally equip my 'Chaos' claw, that's when everything really came together. It felt so nice to just shred everything with Whirlwind. It was a night-and-day difference, a lot of fun.

With a high level Fade plus a defense boost from Cloak of Shadows, this was mostly a safe and fairly tanky character. But there is always that small risk of Whirlwind'ing into the wrong place at the wrong time, and then--BOOM. You're dead :ROFLMAO: I had several funny deaths with this character. Just a mix of bad luck and poor judgement (two things that come very naturally to me!)

Since I had more skill points than I really needed given the Shadow Disciplines-only limitation, I maxed Shadow Master to see if they're any good. I am still undecided. Sometimes her Mind Blasts are helpful. Sometimes they just slow me down. A maxed Shadow Master is very tanky, if nothing else. If I had a do-over, I might just max Cloak of Shadows instead of Shadow Master, and be a lone wolf Whirlwind'ing through the game. No shadow and no merc either--who needs 'em!

The stats and things:

STATS
Level 84
Strength: 105 (135 w/ gear)
Dexteriry: 165 (184)
Vitality: 220 (no bonuses from gear)
Energy: 25
Fire/Cold/Lightning/Poison res.: 75 across the board with Fade, plus a very healthy amount of % Damage Reduced

SKILLS
Claw Mastery: 20 (26 w/ gear)
Weapon Block: 5 (11)
Cloak of Shadows: 6 (12) (rest of points go here...)
Fade: 20 (26) (28 on switch to dual Bartuc's)
Venom: 20 (26) (28 on switch)
Shadow Master: 20 (26) (28 on switch)
Mind Blast and prereqs for all the above: 1 (7)

GEAR
Guillaume's Face w/ +40% ED jewel
'Chaos' Suwayyah (plain, no staffmods, might to try upgrade that someday if the right base drops...)
Jade Talon Wrist Sword w/ +25% ED jewel
'Fortitude' Archon Plate
Laying of Hands
String of Ears
Gore Rider
Seraph's Hymn
Raven Frost
Dwarf Star (not entirely sure why I picked Dwarf as the second ring, I have better options in both rares and uniques...)
2x Mentalist's GCs
Misc. charms with +max damage, AR, life, res.--whatever I could scrounge up from other character's stashes

MERCENARY
Flux the Iron Wolf (Fire)
Harlequin Crest Shako
'Spirit'
Visceratuant
Skin of the Vipermagi

I tried using a Lightning Iron Wolf. Alas, I found they are not a great choice. You'd think Static Field would be helpful. Not really. I like this guy best for because of his use of Enchant, but the Cold Iron Wolf would have been pretty good too if I wasn't interested in the AR boost from Enchant. I expect I will eventually hire either an Act V Frenzy merc ('Lawbringer') or Act II Desert Dude (Reaper's Toll). For now, I'm rolling without a merc.

Next up, I am shifting my focus from questing new characters to spending some time farming Torches and hopefully a few Tokens too.

I think twirlybird will be well suited to farming Nihlathak's Keys of Destruction, so she's going to be seeing a lot of play-time in the coming days and weeks! Should be able to tear it up in the Chaos Sanctuary and WSK too for Essences.

Nice! Will also use a plain base weapon for Chaos if I ever get around to making one to keep the repaircosts in check. What kind of attack rating numbers did twirlybird have?

Reactions: little birdy
Nice! Will also use a plain base weapon for Chaos if I ever get around to making one to keep the repaircosts in check. What kind of attack rating numbers did twirlybird have?
Thanks!

Yeah, repairs weren’t too bad IME. You have to repair quite frequently, but the cost is very manageable. Maybe that’s why I chose to equip a Dwarf Star ring—for the extra gold. :LOL:

The game says my AR is 5764, which isn’t exactly fantastic. But I don’t feel like I’m struggling to hit things. Cloak of Shadows reduces enemy defense so that must improve the chance to hit when active.

Reactions: SirName
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High