Matriarch TrapperJoan – Fire Trapper (D2R)

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
Matriarch TrapperJoan – Fire Trapper

Well, I obviously didn’t take a break!

Level: 87

St – 79 (164)
Dx – 79 (144)
Vt – 347 (372)
En – 25 (50)

HP: 1607
Mana: 383

Resists (after Fade):

Fire: 80 [with Resist Fire Aura]
Cold: 75
Ltning: 75
Poison: 75

Skills:

Fire Blast: 20 (37)
Wake of Fire: 20 (37)
Wake of Inferno: 20 (37)
Shadow Warrior: 14 (24)
Mind Blast: 14 (24)

Shock Web, Charged Bolt Sentry, Lightning Sentry & Death Sentry: 1 (16)
Claw Mastery, Burst of Speed, Fade, Weapon Block, Psychic Hammer, Cloak of Shadows: 1 (11)

Damage:

Fire Blast: 3,123 – 3,675
Wake of Fire: 1,096 – 1,241
Wake of Inferno: 6,876 – 7,560 / s

Equipment:

Weapon 1:

Bartuc’s Cut-Throat w/ Fire Rainbow Facet (-5, +4 – Level up)
Bartuc’s Cut-Throat w/ Fire Rainbow Facet (-5, +3 – Die)

Weapon 2:

Nada

“Flickering Flame” Great Helm [ +6 Fire Resist Aura, -15 Fire Resist]
“CoH” Dusk Shroud
Magefist
Silkweave
Verdungo’s Hearty Coil
Mara’s Kaleidoscope
BKWB x 2
Entrapping Skillers x 4
Fire Sunder

Merc (Act 2 – Holy Freeze)

Eth Andariel’s Visage
“Treachery” Dusk Shroud
Infinity” Superior [+12%ED] Thresher [+319% ED, -55%LR]

Random musings:

Well, this was another really easy one, I never got below /players3 at any stage and still sailed through. I had no deaths either and that’s a bonus after my previous Patriarch. The original plan for the character was to pump all my initial points into the fire traps, then dump a fair few into Cloak of Shadows and Fade, and then tip a few remaining points into Weapon Block. I had forgotten that you couldn’t recast CoS until the previous one had run out; that option went down the toilet pretty quickly. So, what then? Tip points into Death Sentry and Lightning Sentry as a synergy? No thanks! Shadow minions? Shadow Master would simply override my 30+ level traps so that was no good. So that left Shadow Warrior. I didn’t want her to cast traps or even CoS, so what to do? Well, Mind Blast might work! That was a revelation!! Between CoS, self-casting MB and the Warrior casting MB, the screen was mine to take at my leisure. I assigned Flame Bast to the left mouse button and Mind Blast to the right and let the Warrior run amok. Admittedly, I had to wait for the converted enemies to flip back all the time, but it was a small price to pay.

I used basic melee at first, backed up with Fire Blast, until Wake of Fire became available, and I never stopped using it for the rest of the game. When I got to Wake of Inferno, I quickly found that it was simply overshadowed by Wake of Fire in pretty much every situation. In the end, I only used WoI to take out towers, doors and the like or to get those flying monsters that move off the playing area and bombard you. The only problem I saw with WoF was it could be blocked by even the smallest piece of landscape or the mildest curve, but I could live with that. I put a point into Death Sentry, but like FB and WoI, I rarely used it; WoF was simply too good.

What’s next? I think I’ll continue the fire theme and create a fire bowazon, although I’d like to fire a nice +bow skills gloves first. I’m down to Grail -11, so a bit of MFing might be on the cards too. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Screenshot116.png

Yet another cool character @TheNix. The Sunder charms really do seem to open up certain builds for late game that were pretty challenging before, particularly fire builds, I think. I like WoF and enjoyed my recent Fire Dancer, so this character would be high up the list of ones to try if I end up spending more time in D2R. Thanks for sharing the build and experience.

Reactions: TheNix
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High