Matriarch Quor, Hybrid Trapper

Swamigoon

Guide Author
Feb 24, 2006
Matriarch Quor, Hybrid Trapper

To get ready for next month's round in Fabian's MF League, I looked at my stable of toons, looking for something suitable for hunting runes in the Moo Moo Farm. I only have two that have actually defeated Hell Baal. You guessed it, they're the old standby cookie cutters that everybody else seems to Pat/Mat first: a fishymancer and an orbitaller. I fancied neither as a cow runner, so I resolved to get one of my other projects past Hell Baal, looking in particular at something to deal lightning damage. I noticed that my level 84 trapper had arrived at the Frozen Tundra, but hadn't yet defeated the Ancients, so she was pretty close. A few hours later, she became capable of running cows:

Matriarch Quor, hybrid trapper. (LCS)

GoMule stat dump:
Code:
Name:       Quor
Class:      Assassin
Experience: 1011026206
Level:      84

Naked/Gear
Strength:   135/165
Dexterity:  90/111
Vitality:   265/280
Energy:     25/60
HP:         1011/1172
Mana:       149/170
Stamina:    505/513
Defense:    22/1160

Fire:       89/49/-11
Cold:       108/68/8
Lightning:  81/41/-19
Poison:     131/91/31

MF:         138       Block:      25
GF:         0
FR/W:       31
FHR:        10
IAS:        50
FCR:        20
GoMule skill dump:
Fire Blast: 3/9
Shock Web: 1/7
Blade Sentinel: 1/7
Charged Bolt Sentry: 1/7
Wake of Fire: 1/7
Blade Fury: 1/7
Lightning Sentry: 20/26
Wake of Inferno: 20/26
Death Sentry: 20/26
Blade Shield: 0/0

Claw Mastery: 1/7
Psychic Hammer: 1/7
Burst of Speed: 1/7
Weapon Block: 1/7
Cloak of Shadows: 1/7
Fade: 1/7
Shadow Warrior: 1/7
Mind Blast: 0/0
Venom: 0/0
Shadow Master: 20/26

(no martial arts skills)

GoMule charm dump:
Code:
Mentalist's Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0xbc1858de
Item Level: 50
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+1 to Shadow Discipline Skills (Assassin Only)
+21 to Life

(and an assortment of large and small charms with life, resists, MF, and AR)
Equipment:
Ethereal Baranar's Star unique Devil Star <-- for blade fury on LMB
Lidless Wall unique Grim Shield, with socketed pDiamond
Spellsteel unique Bearded Axe <-- weapon switch, teleport or decrepify charges on RMB
Cunning Circlet of Wizardry <-- +3 to Traps, +20 to Energy
Natalya's Shadow set Loricated Mail, with two socketed pTopazes
Wraith Hand rare Light Gauntlets <-- 18 AR, 25%ed, 1 dex, 10% poison resist, -25% poison length, 14%mf
Rune Winding rare Spiderweb Sash <-- 10%fhr, 1-3 cold damage, 8 stamina, 26% cold resist, 20% poison resist
War Traveler unique Battle Boots
Nagelring unique Ring <-- 51 AR, 30%mf
Manald Heal unique Ring <-- 6% mana per hit
Mara's Kaleidoscope unique Amulet <-- 27% all resists

Mercenary equipment:
Zephyr runeworded Blade Bow
Stone Coat rare Ancient Armor <-- 5% ctc level 3 Frost Nova/struck, 20%ed, 26% poison resist, two sockets (pEmeralds)
Iratha's Coil set Crown

Notable find: she obtained my first ever Sazabi's Cobalt Redeemer in WSK2. I pool all my runes in the GoMule stash, so I have no idea which were her forge rewards.

Notes: Like many of my toons, I started this character back when 1.10 was current, and played her off-and-on through patches 1.11, 1.12b, and now 1.13c. I found her quite versatile, and fun to play. I think of her as a "hybrid" trapper, because she has three trap skills that she uses consistently: Lightning (and Death) Sentry, Wake of Inferno, and Blade Fury.

I simultaneously maxed DS (with three points in Fire Blast for another shot) and Shadow Master skills first. Next, i maxed LS and WoI simulatenously. LS was used both as a co-synergy with DS, and to have a ten-shooter instead of a six-shooter (for the same mana cost) at those times when corpse explosions weren't necessary or beneficial. WoI was a support trap against LIs; thanks to it's damage synergy from DS, it became a reasonably fast killer, not weak at all. Future points will probably be invested in Fire Blast, to strengthen WoI (and evenutally DS) even more.

She relied a great deal on her Shadow Master to engage foes and hold them still enough to be hit consistently with her blade fury shuriken and sentry traps' missiles. The Shadow Master would occasionally lay her own traps, which would cause some of mine to evaporate prematurely, but this generally only slowed the killing a little, and it was well worth it to have the extra minion. She used the cloak skill a few times to help her get past ranged attackers like archers and slingers, but otherwise, she really didn't need to rely on it. She used BoS a lot more than Fade; I generally preferred having the quicker run/walk and sentry-summoning speed over the resistance boost.

The final battle with Baal was tedious: his AI produced lots of festering tentacles and dopplegangers to distract her sentry traps, and he aimed his hoarfrost wedges and mana-burning attacks at Quor each and every time, never once targeting the shadow nor the mercenary.

Re: Matriarch Quor, Hybrid Trapper

Interesting ... follow up and let us know how the cowing goes please? I'll be working on a trapsin soon and would love to see how it goes.

Congrats on the mat! Your gear choices... are very interesting. :p

One thing though: "WoI was a support trap against LIs; thanks to it's damage synergy from DS, it became a reasonably fast killer, not weak at all."

- Are you sure, or are you just forcing yourself to believe that? :p

Thanks for the kind comments.

@Drixx: I've never run Hell Cows before, so I don't expect to get stellar run times, but we'll see how it goes. Others seem to be preparing lightning fury/charged strike amazons for the cow round, but I won't have mine ready in time.

@bbq: I don't ever really "plan" gear choices. My general gear style is this: I just use whatever stuff I find, and if I find something that really tickles my fancy, I'll twink it right away (via GoMule) to whatever other character I think will put it to entertaining use. That's how Quor got some of her gear, like the ethereal Baranar's, the Mara's, and the Natalya's shirt. The Lidless Wall and the War Travelers were actually Quor's own finds that she kept and equipped. Her gloves were probably something she found in Normal difficulty way back when. Before she starts her cow runs, I'll look in the GoMule stash and see if I have any gloves she might like better. :p

As for the WoIs, I observed them dispatching non-FIs as quickly as her Lightning Sentries were dispatching non-LIs. By that measure I judged them "not weak." As far as balance goes, I think that makes sense, since they were synergized about equally: LS had 22 synergy points (1 Shock Web, 1 CBS, 20 DS), and WoI had 24 (3 fire blast, 1 WoF, 20 DS).

Interesting ... follow up and let us know how the cowing goes please? I'll be working on a trapsin soon and would love to see how it goes.

Done. I perceive that many of my competitors were tossing Titan's Revenges at cows to achieve run times as low as 3 minutes. Alas, at /p1, Quor only managed 42 runs in 20 hours, so her rune score stinks. On the other hand, she never died once in those 20 hours, and she managed to find some other nice toys in the cow level: a M'avina's Embrace (the merc is wearing that now), and another Blade of Ali Baba. A cow also dropped an Entrapping Grand Charm of Dexterity, which I thought was neat - an immediately useful skiller charm, without twinking or cubing!

Gear changes: I found and twinked Frostburn gauntlets, IK Detail war belt, Natalya's Soul mesh boots, and a Dwarf Star ring onto Quor before starting the runs.

Grats on the Mat! I'm surprised you used WoI as a solution to LI's. I normally use Fire Blast, as I've always assumed that WoI suffers the same bug that Inferno does, and is very underpowered. Plus, the whole synergy for DS...

Grats on the Mat! I'm surprised you used WoI as a solution to LI's. I normally use Fire Blast, as I've always assumed that WoI suffers the same bug that Inferno does, and is very underpowered. Plus, the whole synergy for DS...

Thanks, Drystan! I didn't really analyze Fire Blast vs. Wake of Inferno, I just played with what I enjoyed, which was laying down sentries to spray stuff at enemies while I ran around and sprayed other stuff at enemies. ;) :p

So, let's analyze! <Warning! here begins two paragraphs of tedious arithmetic.>

I'm certain Quor's LCS definitely earns its "L;" it displays 1093-1237 fire damage for her (partially synergized) skill level 27 WoI. The "german skills calculator" at diablo2.ingame.de claims 393-445 fire damage. I think the latter is a more accurate measurement of the damage "per spray," and I estimate that each WoI sprays twice every three seconds. So by spending 100 mana to lay five traps, times 10 sprays per trap, times 400 fire damage per spray - equals 20,000 fire damage over fifteen seconds. While the traps are doing their thing, Quor is spraying shuriken at a rate slightly faster than 4 per second. Her attack rating is such at about 2 per second actually hit a cow, and after combining physical, fire, cold, and lightning damage, each shuriken averages 750 damage per hit, so 15 seconds of blade fury easily adds another 20,000 damage. Quor enjoys enough "mana stolen per hit" that her blade fury mana cost is negligible, so in this scenario, Quor spends 100 mana to get 40K of five kinds of damage (mostly fire) over fifteen seconds.

With Burst of Speed active, Quor can lob about seven fire blast grenades every two seconds. She only put 3 hard points ion fire blast, but if she had maxed FB instead of WoI, each grenade would have easily topped 1000 fire damage, consuming 6.25 mana per grenade. Tossing grenades for fifteen seconds, times 3.5 grenades per second, times 1000 fire damage per grenade - equals 52,500 fire-only damage, at a total cost of almost 330 mana. <End of tedious arithmetic>

Of course, the previous analysis isn't completely realistic. I'm sure I made assumptions that may be challenged, and regardless, it's unlikely any trapper is going to stand still and fling shuriken or grenades for 15 seconds. But as a rough estimate, I think your trapper with maxed FB dispatches LIs 25% to 33% faster than my trapper with maxed WoI. I'm okay with that; I still had tons of fun playing with my flame throwers. :alright:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High