Patriarch Roust

Patriarch Roust
Level: 84

STATS (modified) [switch]

Strenght: 95 (125) [105]
Dexterity: 106 (136) [136]
Vitality: 299 (329) [309] 1379 life
Energy: 15 (25) [25] 194 mana

resists: 75/68/85/62 (51/37/58/31 on switch)

Skills: base (modified) [switch]

Zeal: 20 (24)[20]
Sacrifice: 12 (16) [12]
holy Shield: 13 (17) [13]
Holy Shock: 20 (25) [25]
Resist Lightning: 20 (22) [20]
Fanatism: 1 (6) [6]
+pre-reqs

ITEMS:

Stealskull socket: 15 IAS/27 lightning resist
angelic wings
190% ED crescent moon PB
757 def "smoke" dusk shroud
HoZ socket: Pdiamond
20% IAS crafted blood gloves
upgraded (once) goldwrap
ravenfrost + angelic halo
war traveler

Switch:
Nord's(unsocketed)
Hailstone Rock: Akaran Rondache

+6 to Mana
+65% Enhanced Damage
+102 to Attack Rating
Damage Reduced by 2
Magic Damage Reduced by 3
All Resistances +38
Replenish Life +5
+2 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
Socketed (2: 2 used)<--2*Pdiamond

Charms:
3*captain's GC
1 shimmering GC(13%)
gheed's GC
2*steel LC of vita
iron LC of vita
fine SC
fine SC of dex.
garnet/ruby/lapis SC's

DAMAGE:
without merc, sine he's dead and I don't have money yet.
525-4999 w/ Holy shock
AR: 7650

Switch: 1245-1822 w/fanatism
AR: 11715

MERCENARY:
Might, level 83
Bonehew (Amn/Hel)
Stealskull (Ptopaz)
Blach Hades (Ral/Ort/Thul)

ANCIENTS:
This was my second encounter with hell ancients, and this time it was rough:

1st fanatism enchanted
2nd cursed extra fast (died)
3rd Might enchanted
4th FE(died) killed talic & korlic first
5th FE
6th cursed extra strong
7th cursed
8th cursed
9th FE
10th cursed
11th cursed
12th 3x Inmune to lightning
13th FE extrafast
14th cursed extrafast (died)
15th 3x inmune to lightning
16th cursed extrastrong
17th fanatism enchanted

finally I've managed to kill the 18th combo of:
conviction enchanted +something else (talic)
mana burn extrafast + lighting inmune (madwac)
exta strong + stone skin (korlic)

I've played without merc since the ancient's way, because I was somewhat short of cash :D
Baal was kind enough to drop me a hwanin's crown, an eth rune, and a blue that I left on the ground :)
NM Hellforge was better than Hell one: Um rune vs. Hel rune. At least I've paid the crescent moon...

HOW TO IMPROVE THE BUILD:

less points in sacrifice, more into fanatism (for switch)
less into holy shield, some in salvation (for main)

Maybe Id go with switch as primary attack (nord's is awesome) and main as secondary (leech was almost inexistent: tough fights )

BEST FINDS:
Um rune (forge)
Lum rune
Ko rune
Cow king boots (cow king, normal)
Kelpie snare and several normal uniques

I think this is all. This char will be meph farmer for a while, when he gains a couple of lvls, or maybe I can do some cows with him, I haven't checked hell cows yet.

Originally posted by purplelocust on Apr 24, 2010:

Patriarch MakeMake, Bluntadin Clotheshorse

Patriarch MakeMake, Bluntadin Clotheshorse

Quick summary
Fanatic Zealot wears every unique torso armor (except Tyraels' as I haven't found that), every unique shield (except necro heads) and wields every blunt unique one-handed weapon (except wands) at /players 8 through the game.

Backgrouund
The plan was to build a Shaefferdin, and since I figured I would eventually need a decent strength investment, I figured this was an opportunity to wear some gear along the way some of which doesn't see much use. Here were the guidelines:

1) For every unique torso armor, every unique non-necro shield and every unique mace, hammer and scepter, wear that item exclusively for one full level. Naked punching until he could equip acceptable gear.

2) Players 8 the whole way.

3) Uniques items only- only unique gear in all slots. I originally had planned on him using the same 1.07 crazy leech gear of Siarnaq and Anthe (31% LL ring, 34% LL ring and 33% LL gloves with 13% crushing blow) but instead I decided to use unique gear all around.

For the merc, there weren't any limitations and he wore uniques early and then runeword items (Crescent Moon thresher, Treachery armor) for much of the game.

Since there are more levels than items, there were plenty of levels where I didn't need to wield/wear anything in particular and for those levels I chose freely from gear that I had already worn for a complete level.

A few questions

Wait, what is a clotheshorse? A term for someone who has or wants a ton of clothes, pays undue attention to wardrobe and is always changing outfits. I don't think I've ever heard the term used for a man but I'm happy to in this case!

Wait, why not use wands as well? Well, actually with his +damage charms, wands would have been fine. But I'd done more than my fair share of whacking things with wands for Kui, a Classic drummer barb.

Wait, what about all those two-handed blunt weapons? Well, I skipped those as those would have made it difficult to meet the shield-weilding requirements as well. He was one-handed the whole way.

Isn't it true that your character isn't complete- he hasn't worn Tyraels' Might! Indeed, this is true, and if a Tyrael's drops at some point, I'll see to it that MakeMake wears it!

Analysis of choices

1) Drac's for life tap? Yes, this time. In general, it was a mass of red curses from the Drac's Life Tap, and the Saracen's Change Amp and IM going off quite a bit. IM on the monsters is pretty useless, of course. The leech was already pretty good for both MakeMake and the merc even before life tap went off, but when it did it filled both our red bulbs very quickly. And it made skeletons non-tedious. A pack would generally get Amp'd from Saracen's and LT'd from Drac's multiple times.

2) Holy Shield? I thought about using a blue 1.07 +3 HS/+3 Combat scepter on switch to save skill points, but that wouldn't work with the "uniques only" limitation. I just put one hard point in Holy Shield and figured I would sort out what to do with extra skill points later.

3) What to do about AR? This is still pretty much unresolved. Looming in the future was end-game AR. Not many blunt weapons are ITD (Zakarum's Hand was nice in that regard, I'm not sure if there were others.) I used a Blessed Aim merc for a fair amount of levelling just from not bothering to change. Schaeffer's hammer has good AR but Stormlash does not. I wasn't sure but I figured I needed to do something, and my rings were my relatively new 1.10beta BK rings so that left Raven Frosts out of the equation. I used some good charms and swapped Metalgrid with my 1.07 Saracen's and I may still put points in BA for the AR passive bonus. I did put an Eth in the Stormlash (after I was in A5 Hell, I should have done that much sooner) but it seemed like I should work out which would be better in terms of damage (and thus leech) per time: my Might merc, who increased damage somewhat but did nothing for chance to hit, or a BA merc, who would increase to-hit chances. I didn't do that computation but I may experiment some now that he's completed the game.

4) Cannot be Frozen? Yes, this time. Leeching was a huge part of staying alive, and I didn't worry about CBF much during the early to middle game. But wearing the Spirit Shroud at about level 30 was a treat and reminded me that CBF was pretty important. So Kira's was a natural choice for that for most of the rest of the game, except when wearing other armors that had it.

5) Spare skill points now? Decisons are still to be made. In addition to the Holy Shield or Blessed Aim possibilities listed above, two things to consider would be 10-point investments into Resist Lightning and Resist Fire, to bring those resists from 90 to 95. That would half those elemental damages taken, from non-Conviction monsters, and seems like a good plan. But I haven't decided yet.

Skills:

20 Zeal, Sacrifice, Fanaticism
1 in Holy Shield

31 left.

Stats:

Level 88
STR: 175/236
DEX: 93/114
VIT: 252/272
E: 15/15
life 1185 after charms etc.
mana 145 after charms

resists: 90 all

listed zeal damage: 167-6305 with merc's Might with Stormlash
zeal AR: 5852

Gear:

hat: Kira's
amulet: prismatic 1.07 Saracen's or Metalgrid
Code:
Saracen's Chance
Amulet
Required Level: 47
Fingerprint: 0x743d2430
Item Level: 62
Version: Expansion
2% Chance to cast level 5 Iron Maiden when struck
3% Chance to cast level 5 Amplify Damage on striking
+10 to Strength
+10 to Dexterity
All Resistances +26
Lightning Resist +24%
Fire Resist +11%
Poison Resist +45%

weapons: varied, of course! Stormlash socketed with an Eth was the preferred choice near the end. At the end I had Asteron's on switch with a spare HoZ to improve Holy Shield
armor: all of them (except Tyraels) Um'd upgraded Guardian Angel at the end.
shields: all of them, of course! HoZ with PDiamond was a favorite when possible.
gloves: Dracs.
rings: 1.10a beta BK rings. 5% and 4% leech
Code:
Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
Ring
Required Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0x32991f71
Item Level: 75
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+2 to All Skills
4% Life stolen per hit
+44 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+50 Maximum Stamina

Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x11c5ba42
+2 to All Skills
5% Life stolen per hit
+44 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+50 Maximum Stamina

belt: Nosferatus
boots: Gore Riders

charms: Some very nice +dmg Captain's from 1.07 that saw earlier use with Siarnaq. And some grand steel and a couple of Lion Branded ones with life and dex. Two nice large sharps as well for AR. I thought about going with some good elemental charms here but I decided that wasn't in the spirit of the character.
Code:
Captain's Grand Charm of Maiming
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0x5b9eb46c
Item Level: 88
+1 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
+19 to Maximum Damage

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x158b3afd
+19 to Maximum Damage

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xae6ca62
+18 to Maximum Damage

Lion Branded Grand Charm of Dexterity
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x32a858f5
Item Level: 85
+1 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
+6 to Dexterity

Steel Small Charm of Quality
Small Charm
Required Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0x330e7bd1
Item Level: 90
+4 to Maximum Damage
+34 to Attack Rating
Lion Branded Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0xd68ddcce
+1 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
+35 to Life

Steel Large Charm of Strength
Large Charm
Required Level: 44
Fingerprint: 0x366cd9e
+76 to Attack Rating
+3 to Strength

Steel Grand Charm of Quality
Grand Charm
Required Level: 35
Fingerprint: 0x1a12c1f3
Item Level: 49
+2 to Maximum Damage
+113 to Attack Rating

Steel Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x28d6d389
Item Level: 80
+123 to Attack Rating
+32 to Life

Steel Large Charm of Dexterity
Large Charm
Required Level: 44
Fingerprint: 0xccddc566
+76 to Attack Rating
+3 to Dexterity

Sharp Large Charm of Strength
Large Charm
Required Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0x67d8feff
Item Level: 81
+6 to Maximum Damage
+30 to Attack Rating
+4 to Strength

Sharp Large Charm of Dexterity
Large Charm
Required Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0x7135e1fc
+6 to Maximum Damage
+43 to Attack Rating
+5 to Dexterity

Merc:

L85 Might
Andarial's visage, Treachery BP, a wonderful 1.10 beta CM eth 1.07 Thresher:

Code:
Crescent Moon
Thresher
ShaelUmTir
Two Hand Damage: 73 - 862
Durability: 33 of 33
Required Strength: 142
Required Dexterity: 108
Fingerprint: 0x12b906eb
Item Level: 87
20% Chance to cast level 13 Static Field on striking
10% Chance to cast level 17 Chain Lightning on striking
+20% Increased Attack Speed
309% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
-35% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
25% Chance of Open Wounds
+10 Magic Absorb
+2 to Mana after each Kill
Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (4/30 Charges) Ethereal

Gameplay

Players 8 the whole way.

Normal/NM: a fair amount of muling on and off during the various gear changes. But it was interesting to try all the different armors. Heavy armor and a heavy shield were a tedious combo: slow walking and serious stamina drain. I don't think I've ever had a level 45+ character who chugged stamina potions like MakeMake had to some times. A few observations:

1) hit blinds target + knockback was an interesting combo that came up early in A1 (Felloak + Umbral Disk maybe?) which gave me an idea for a safe but boring build that used poison or open wounds in combination with that- if the knockback puts them too far away to notice you while blinded, they just sit there.

2) pretty much wore Bloodfist + Tarnhelm + Gorefoot + Eye of Eltich + 2 Manalds through normal and NM, adding Goldwrap at some point.

3) There are obviously some weak spots in the armor/shield/weapon choices there. None were unbearable but levelling in normal and NM is pretty fast. The General's flail was a real standout and was often chosen for levels that I didn't have to use a new weapon for. I liked it so much I upgraded it and used it again at some point.

4) Slow is great. At some point I switched Tarn for Blackhorn's, and with cold damage from the Eye of Elitch, the slow from General's/Blackhorns, and hitting everything nearby often, it was almost like having a Holy Freeze effect.

5) The Fetid Sprinkler is a nice weapon that I'd overlooked before. That was the first time I'd used it and it's kind of a mini Reapers'/Delirium combo at a much lower level. The CtC decrep was a treat and so I took a second one and upgraded that to use at a higher level in Hell (level 64 requirement though)

5) Most of the items I used were from my "perfect grail" stash with good ED. But many of them were in need of repair, and it was unpleasant to equip some new gear and then immedaitely have a bill for thousands of gold at Charsi or her equivalent!

6) The 1.07 ethereal 1.10 beta CM Thresher is a huge powerful weapon available at a pretty low level (73-862 damage, equippable at level 53) I had to have the merc wear some +stat gear in there for a while to equip it, but it was defintely worth it as he was a huge killer with that thing.

Hell: Now things got more interesting and I strategized somewhat about what weapon to combine with what shield/armor for some levels. He had some life-bulb yoyoing from time to time, particularly before Drac's. But basically, with something to leech he was fine. Lightning immunes were noticably slower without the benefit of the Static constantly going off from the merc. With the static, generally wading through packs by the time I got to something it was already half-dead, unless it was lightning immune.

Hell A2: The Arcane took as long as the rest of the act. If Amp went off from Saracen's, then of course moments later Life Tap would go off from the gloves or IM would then go off from Saracen's. It took a long time with multiple merc resurrections. I took off Drac's for a bit in there to avoid Life Tap overwriting Amp, but it was still very slow going.

Hell A3: No problem. I decided to run past the ghosts in at least one level of the Flayer Dungeon but other than that it was pretty smooth.

Hell A4: Things slowed down noticably, and I had to pay much more careful attention to some monster combinations. He needed to wear Gladiators Bane and Arkaine's Valor, and neither has decent resists and was a big hit from the Guardian Angel he'd grown accustomed to.

I tried various Might/HF/Blessed Aim mercs before returning to a Might merc. Any kind of physical immune was an annoyance, and the mana draining monsters were also an annoyance. In the CS Sanctuary, though, it was real tedious. I was somewhat tempted to drop the player count downward but I wanted to do the whole game at /players 8 so I patiently worked through that. I was using Saracen's, which was important for breaking PIs (some Venom Lord bosses, for example) but using it meant that the dreaded "IM sound" would go off and I would have to check if it was us or them. The merc had Fade going, so IM would usually mean just waiting around and it wore off of him much more quickly. The general problem is OK's would cast decrep and then run away, and it was hard to catch them up since run/walk was so slow. I found an effective method of dealing with that was to play "OK ping-pong" where I would run around and the merc would be on one side and me on the other. The OK would run back and forth between the merc and the pally and eventually one of us would finish him off.

Sadly, after carefully clearing almost the whole CS at /players 8 (killed Grand Vizier, DeSeis and heading over to open the Infector seal) the game crashed. In general, the scene was of unmitigated chaos with all the cursing and whatnot: Life Tap, Amp, IM, Confuse/Terror/Mind Blast from Delerium. And Confusion tends to draw in monsters from further away, to add to the chaos. So the game crashed when the merc was in Bone Fetish form- I'm not sure what set it off, but that is what I suspect. So I had another go, again at /players 8. Again, most of the way through the CS the game crashed again. Again, I didn't get a good look but I think it might have been IM on Both of these were pretty long play sessions. So for the last go, I cleared the monsters at /players 1 and then set to /players 8 for the seals and Diablo, not wanting to have yet another crash. That wasn't too bad, but all told there were about 5 character deaths in there and perhaps 20 merc ones.

At some point in here, when switching gear around, I realized (for once) that all four resists had been exactly 75, despite no particular planning. That was a nice coincidence!

Hell A5: This actually went pretty well- particularly when he finally levelled to 87 which meant he'd worn all the possible armors and could choose Guardian Angel again, which I upgraded in celebration. That made things go much more smoothly! There is a big difference between 75 resists and 90 resists. There were some nasty monster combos along the way. The physical immune Blood Lord types were terrible and ghosts + ranged attackers were a problem, as leeching was an important part of survival and the amp from Saracen's wasn't dependable enough for that. It took multiple efforts to get to rescue Anya.

The revived zombie-type monsters hit pretty hard. He wasn't a high-life character and didn't generally have much damage reduction. I've been spoiled by playing Treachery-using characters too much! Getting cursed was annoying as curses on the merc (who was using Treachery) didn't last as long on him. Earlier, I did use the Spirit Ward for a level, but the Fade on that wasn't very dependable or strong. There were no snakes in the Halls of Naught, which I'd been worried about.

For the Ancients: no rerolling, at /players 8. Unfortunately two were mana burn, which is a pain for this build, but I had a huge mound of blue potions as my preparation. The other mods weren't too bad- one was aura enchanted but it was Blessed Aim I think instead of something nasty. It was a reasonable battle with a few red potions quaffed and fed to the merc, and neither was in danger of dying during the battle.

Post-Ancients, I was fortunate with a lucky map roll to find the WSK2 WP despite gloams and OKs- I didn't have to explore much of the level before finding the WP, thankfully!

WSK: For the final push, it was as if Baal had sent out a memo: every monster pack on WSK2 and 3, make sure you are Mana Burn for maximum annoyance. But the monster types weren't too bad. I cleared out about half of the Throne level and left the other side populated with monsters, to help reset the merc's fade after inevitable deaths. But it went pretty smoothly, with care taken to stay mostly out of Baal's decrep range.

Baal: just picked away with Stormlash. He of course was down to half health quicky but after that it took a while. I thought about bring out Schaeffer's Hammer for that but Stormlash was fine if slow near the end.

Deaths:
Yes, several. Some bosspacks just plain hit very hard: charging zombies in the A5 cellars, and hard hitting monsters with nasty mods were a problem. Fortunately the merc was strong enough that usually corpse recovery was pretty manageable, though I did have at least two case where I couldn't reasonably get back to my corpse and gave up on it.

Comments:

1) I gained some appreciation for several weapons and reminded myself about some old favorites. The Fetid Sprinkler, mentioned above, is a treat and I also found that Horizon's is quite a nice weapon- I don't think I've every really used it as much as on MakeMake. And the General's flail I've always known to be nice. I had been holding off on this project until I found Astreon's last year and I wasn't impressed with it as a good zealot weapon. Not that it is particularly supposed to be! It's probably more reasonable at /players 1 with its crushing blow.

2) One of the big benefits of Stormlash/Shaeffers is the CtC static. That big benefit goes away with a strong merc using a Cresent Moon weapon. That weapon is a real treat and one nice side effect is that even if he is doing something useless like attacking a post while the pally is swarmed with attackers, the static still triggers and softens up the nearby monsters.

3) I already knew it, but HoZ is such a great shield for a melee paladin. Having to choose other shields long past when HoZ was an option just made it clearer what a great shield HoZ is. Level 80 with Dragonscale was painful compared to HoZ, for example.

4) With +dmg charms, a Punchadin is probably pretty feasible. The annoying prospect there is that punching is slower than attacking with many weapons, which just seems broken common-sense wise!

Finds:

Some reasonable things: a little progress on the Cathan's Ring ilvl front, some decent progress on my Staffmod Grail project and a lot of decent socketed/socketable or ethereal base items along the way. He was a sturdy enough tank that I could pick items up and inspect them during battle and generally not worry about getting damaged much. He did find a Horizon's in A3 Hell, which was appropriate given how much he liked his Horizon's! A smattering of uniques and sets but nothing noteworthy. Lem from the Hell forge drop, appropriate as the merc wore his Treachery for so much of the game.

Last edited:
Originally posted by purplelocust on Jun 2, 2009:

Patriarch Siarnaq, Fanatic Zealot with 1.07 gear

Patriarch Siarnaq

This is a 1.12 character with a lot of 1.07 gear who was built around an interesting 1.07 item: a Lightsabre. It has one interesting feature, kind of a glitch, which is that in 1.07 the item type is Elegant Blade, whereas in later versions it's a Phase Blade.

The glitch comes from the following: a phase blade is a 3x2 object (vertical by horizontal spaces it takes up), and an elegant blade is a 3x1 object. The Lightsabre seems to have a predetermined graphic which is 3x2, but it doesn't quite work well when the actual item type is an elegant blade. The image is of a 3x2 but the location and movement in the stash and equipping are of a 3x1 item. It's a little odd moving it around- so I decided to make a Pat around it!

The other inspiration came from some ridiculous skillers I found in 1.07: multiple Captain's charms of Maiming with the high 1.07 +max damage. The game was telling me to make a physical damage zealot, it seemed! I do also have some great 1.07 max damage charms which aren't skillers (not the best possible +40 max one, but some in the 30-36 max range. Those are still in 1.07 on my javazon there.)

Skills:

20 Fanat, 20 in Zeal, 20 in Sacrifice and 30 unallocated. None in Holy Shield because of the scepter on switch.

Stats:

STR: 50/118
DEX: 112/128
VIT: 181/211
E: base
147 unallocated

LCS Zeal damage with Fanat, Might and Venom active: 1678-3098
Zeal AR: 3680, but has ITD
Life: 1162
Resists maxed with Fade active

Gear:

This character used lots of absurd 1.07 gear:

The Sacaren's Chance and the Rose Branded Amulet of Life Everlasting were among some very nice results of 1.07 cubing with the prismatic amulet recipe.

The 1.07 crafted gloves with huge leech had already been put to good use on various characters, as had the huge life leech crafted rings.

The war scepter was a nice find- it would be much more suited a build tighter on skill points but I thought I'd use it here. One idea was to put saved skill points into Resist Fire and Resist Lightning for the +max resist bonuses, but I'd beaten Baal before I figured out what would be a good plan there.

The crafted 1.07 great hauberk with its 3 sockets from Larzuk in 1.07 gave a total of 49 PDR. The plan for that was for a complete PDR-based character but it suited Siarnaq fine, although it was expensive to repair.

The merc's stick is an effort to get Amp to trigger as often as possible. It's a 1.07 crafted blood recipe with a full set of sockets from Larzuk there. Unfortunately, the strength requirement is high enough to have the merc need +str gear to equip it for a while.

I had planned to use 1.07 Arkaine's for him but he's still not high enough level for it and the armor combo he uses is pretty nice as is.

Code:
Lightsabre
Elegant Blade
One Hand Damage: 99 - 135
Indestructible
Required Strength: 109
Required Dexterity: 122
Fingerprint: 0x2745624a
Properties: 
200% Enhanced Damage
+100 Defense vs. Missile
+7 to Light Radius
50% Increased Attack Speed
Ignore Target's Defense
30% Lightning Absorb
5% Chance to cast level 12 Chain Lightning on striking
1 Sockets (0 used)

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x5b9eb46c
Properties: 
+19 to Maximum Damage

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x158b3afd
Properties: 
+19 to Maximum Damage

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xae6ca62
Properties: 
+18 to Maximum Damage

Rose Branded Amulet of Life Everlasting
Amulet
Required Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0x759f95a7
Properties: 
Damage Reduced by 25
Fire Resist +34%
Lightning Resist +11%
Cold Resist +33%
Poison Resist +52%
+3 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)

Harlequin Crest
Shako
Defense: 284
Indestructible
Required Level: 62
Required Strength: 50
Fingerprint: 0x73ed1244
Properties: 
100% Enhanced Defense
Increase Maximum Life 40%
50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to All Skills
1 Sockets (0 used)

Saracen's Chance
Amulet
Fingerprint: 0x743d2430
Properties: 
+10 to Strength
+10 to Dexterity
Fire Resist +37%
Lightning Resist +50%
Cold Resist +26%
Poison Resist +71%
3% Chance to cast level 5 Amplify Damage on striking
2% Chance to cast level 5 Iron Maiden when struck

Viper Grip
Ring
Required Level: 51
Fingerprint: 0x3b6b5027
Item Level: 48
Properties: 
+13 to Strength
+4 to Energy
34% Life stolen per hit

Storm Grip
Ring
Required Level: 54
Fingerprint: 0x5ac2e759
Properties: 
+14 to Strength
+85 to Mana
31% Life stolen per hit
8% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Brimstone Hold
Vampirebone Gloves
Defense: 87
Durability: 13 of 14
Required Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0x5bcc434
Item Level: 59
Properties: 
33% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +29%
33% Life stolen per hit
+1 to Light Radius
13% Chance of Crushing Blow

Rose Branded War Scepter of Performance
War Scepter
One Hand Damage: 24 - 17
Durability: 70 of 70
Required Strength: 55
Fingerprint: 0x48a977d7
Item Level: 99
Properties: 
+14 to Minimum Damage
+3 to Holy Shield (Paladin Only)
+2 to Holy Shock (Paladin Only)
150% Damage to Undead

Plague Cloak
Great Hauberk
Defense: 1586
Durability: 47 of 50
Required Level: 78
Required Strength: 118
Fingerprint: 0x4dc0852c
Properties: 
216% Enhanced Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 7
Lightning Resist +24%
24% Faster Hit Recovery
Half Freeze Duration
Damage Reduced by 49
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Sol Rune

Mercenary:

eth Shaftstop, Guillame's and 

Storm Barb
Giant Thresher
Two Hand Damage: 100 - 285
Durability: 55 of 55
Required Level: 85
Required Strength: 188
Required Dexterity: 140
Fingerprint: 0x7eda51d3
Properties: 
150% Enhanced Damage
+149 to Attack Rating
24% Life stolen per hit
5% Chance to cast level 1 Amplify Damage on striking
60% Increased Attack Speed
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune

Gameplay:

It was pretty smooth sailing overall. Normal and NM on players 8, no problems there. He started using the Lightsabre at level 58 and it was pretty impressive at the beginning (near the end of NM) but it slowed down in killing speed quite a lot in Hell, which was players 1 all the way except for some convenient levelling spots. Having Amp go off from either the merc or the Sacaren's Chance was generally a big help. For a while he was using Duress but then I switched to the huge PDR/Treachery combo.

There were some serious episodes of the life bulb yoyo-ing. With more than 100% leech total, it was kind of like having Life Tap often. Unleechables were very noticable and took some care if there weren't some monsters around with meat on their bones to leech from.

No source of CBF which meant occasional episodes of slowness and thus lost life leech. I do have a cubed 1.07 Raven Frost with extra resists but those ridiculous life leech rings are hard to not use.

Low AR is an issue against bosses, as primarily the ITD was relied upon (though not as much as my Digglerdin.)

I should have written this up a while ago, when I finished the character, since I'm now a little foggy on the details... My notes include complaining about running into 4 straight conviction bosses in one area in act 2.

There were a fair number of deaths. I could have put more in vitality but I never got around to it, and I was expecting life to skyrocket when I got to where I could wear the Arkaine's. The merc was strong enough that corpse recovery was straightforward. I was careful around OKs and did not swing while cursed with IM, though my merc did. Once again, the Fade from Treachery was very nice for waiting out curses. It took a little getting used to the sound when the IM from Saracen's would go off, much in the same way that in 1.09 it took some getting used to the sound when using a skill that sounded like an LEB was around.

Here are some screenshots of the odd stash behavior:

Lightsabre equipped, hanging a bit over the side: pic1

A 3x2 object fitting into a 3x1 slot: pic2

It seems to get cropped when on the side of the stash: pic3

Finds:
Lem from hellforge. An interesting but useless ethereal magic "Godly Sacred Armor of the Centaur" with 1811 defense from Pindle, a 37% ED ruby jewel with no suffix, a few odd ethereals, but not much of note. Most of Hell was /players 1 with not much MF.

Future:
He's got a lot of flexibility with unallocated stats and skills. I think I may turn him into a more standard Fanatic Zealot, perhaps even a Shaeferdin. But I've got a couple of other projects underway at the moment.

Originally posted by @queenEm on May 19, 2011:

Patriarch FrostySnowman - holy freeze zealot

This is my third finished character, after fishymancer and orb-it-aller I completed my first melee character and I can not tell you how many times this kid died!!!

But first: the readouts:

Character:

Code:
Name:       FrostySnowman
Class:      Paladin
Experience: 949646244
Level:      83

Naked/Gear
Strength:   154/178
Dexterity:  126/147
Vitality:   215/261
Energy:     15/15
HP:         849/916
Mana:       138/138
Stamina:    361/475
Defense:    31/951
AR:         615/236175

Fire:       209/169/109
Cold:       191/151/91
Lightning:  193/153/93
Poison:     112/72/12

MF:         25       Block:      59
GF:         197
FR/W:       0
FHR:        40
IAS:        50
FCR:        0

Sacrifice: 7/9
Smite: 1/3
Holy Bolt: 1/3
Zeal: 20/22
Charge: 1/3
Vengeance: 0/0
Blessed Hammer: 1/3
Conversion: 0/0
Holy Shield: 20/22
Fist of the Heavens: 0/0

Might: 1/3
Holy Fire: 1/3
Thorns: 0/0
Blessed Aim: 0/0
Concentration: 0/0
Holy Freeze: 20/22
Holy Shock: 0/0
Sanctuary: 0/0
Fanaticism: 0/0
Conviction: 0/0

Prayer: 0/0
Resist Fire: 0/0
Defiance: 0/0
Resist Cold: 20/23
Cleansing: 0/0
Resist Lightning: 0/0
Vigor: 0/0
Meditation: 0/0
Redemption: 0/0
Salvation: 1/4

This is the gear he finished Hell with, I made some updates just after

Code:
Rockstopper
Sallet
Defense: 190
Durability: 15 of 18
Required Level: 31
Required Strength: 43
Fingerprint: 0xc7d33675
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+202% Enhanced Defense
+15 to Vitality
Cold Resist +38%
Lightning Resist +29%
Fire Resist +50%
Damage Reduced by 10%

Seraph's Hymn
Amulet
Required Level: 65
Fingerprint: 0x1e433ec9
+2 to All Skills
+1 to Defensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
+45% Damage to Demons
+196 to Attack Rating against Demons
+41% Damage to Undead
+211 to Attack Rating against Undead
+2 to Light Radius

Grim Finger
Ring
Required Level: 46
Fingerprint: 0xe36be0bc
Version: UNKNOWN
+100 to Attack Rating
5% Mana stolen per hit
+4 to Dexterity
Cold Resist +19%
Lightning Resist +23%
+1 to Light Radius

Grim Turn
Ring
Required Level: 30
Fingerprint: 0xbbe4aef9
Item Level: 51
+111 to Attack Rating
4% Life stolen per hit
+8 to Strength
+18 to Life
Fire Resist +27%

Verdungo's Hearty Cord
Mithril Coil
Defense: 149
Durability: 15 of 16
Required Level: 63
Required Strength: 106
Fingerprint: 0xb26bbbe8
Item Level: 86
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
+126% Enhanced Defense
+31 to Vitality
Replenish Life +10
+114 Maximum Stamina
Damage Reduced by 10%

Goblin Toe
Light Plated Boots
Defense: 34
Durability: 17 of 18
Required Level: 22
Fingerprint: 0xe16d9872
Item Level: 40
25% Chance of Crushing Blow
+60% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
Damage Reduced by 1
Magic Damage Reduced by 1
-1 to Light Radius

Superior Light Gauntlets
Defense: 9
Durability: 18 of 20
Required Strength: 45
Fingerprint: 0x748d7949
Increase Maximum Durability 12%

Demon Limb
Tyrant Club
One Hand Damage: 93 - 169
Durability: 65 of 65
Required Strength: 133
Fingerprint: 0x5c1f54a4
193% Enhanced Damage
+123% Damage to Demons
+150% Damage to Undead
Adds 222 - 333 Fire Damage
11% Life stolen per hit
Fire Resist +17%
Repairs 1 Durability in 20 Seconds
Level 23 Enchant (20/20 Charges)

Baranar's Star
Devil Star
One Hand Damage: 129 - 159
Durability: 109 of 172
Required Strength: 153
Required Dexterity: 44
Fingerprint: 0xeae9f1df
Item Level: 77
+50% Increased Attack Speed
200% Enhanced Damage
200% Bonus to Attack Rating
+150% Damage to Undead
Adds 1 - 200 Fire Damage
Adds 1 - 200 Lightning Damage
Adds 1 - 200 Cold Damage Over 3 Secs (72 Frames)
+15 to Strength
+15 to Dexterity
+100 Maximum Durability

FrostySnowman's Rhyme
Royal Shield
ShaelEth
Defense: 169
Chance to Block: 45
Durability: 53 of 60
Required Level: 41
Required Strength: 114
Fingerprint: 0x5c01dd73
Item Level: 68
+40% Faster Block Rate
20% Increased Chance of Blocking
28% Enhanced Damage
+52 to Attack Rating
Regenerate Mana 15%
All Resistances +25
Cannot Be Frozen
50% Extra Gold from Monsters
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
2 Sockets (2 used)
Socketed: Eth Rune

Goldskin
Full Plate Mail
Defense: 364
Durability: 69 of 70
Required Level: 28
Required Strength: 80
Fingerprint: 0xf9b05732
+125% Enhanced Defense
All Resistances +35
Attacker Takes Damage of 10
100% Extra Gold from Monsters
+2 to Light Radius

Now some explanations: I used to have better gloves but they found better use with someone else and I forgot about it... Looks really strange perhaps. I had an extremly hard time when entering Hell. I think I died at least 30 times in the Blood Moor before turning to this great forum for some advice. I used to have an Aldur's Jagged Star that kicked *** in NM but in Hell it was just not enough. Luckily my necro had found me both a Demon Limb and, from here on my main weapon, the Baranar's Star!

So then I proceeded casually through act1, 2 and 3. In act 4 I met one of the hardest fights. Hephasto the armoror took me 15 minutes of just hitting and hitting and hitting... Stone skin, physical immune, cold immune and cold enchanted. Sigh..

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x362/queenEmD2/Hephasto.jpg

Once that was done it was again easy ride for a while, actually all the way until World Stone Keep, where my merc bit the dust and took my bank statement from 2 400 000 down to 320 000 once Baal was finished. It was the Hell temptresses (or however that is spelled)

Summary: I really enjoyed playing this character and I have learned so much about the game! Now, I plan to finish my first guardian next, my bowzon who is currently waiting in NM. Thanks for reading!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x362/queenEmD2/Patriarch.jpg

Originally posted by relliKniaP on Jul 28, 2006:

Patriarch Uther

lvl 87 Frost Zealot

I started this char a year ago, inspired by Kitriara's Frost Zealot Guide. He's a lot of fun and also very poweful, though bad for MF cuz of his unortodox and specific gear. He's awesome for Countess runs as everything dies after 1-2 lightning fast Zeals. Thanx to Sanctuary aura dealing with tricky undead like Gloams/Undead Soul Killers/Vampires/Oblivion Knights&Mages is now a picnic. Fade helps a ton aganist curses, Baal's decrep lasts like 2 secs lol. Also, he takes CI/PI/CIPI down like any other monster.

Equipment

Helm - Guillaume's Face

Weapon - 'Lawbringer' Phase Blade (almost perfect - lvl 18 Sanctuary/+241 def vs missile)

Armor - 'Treachery' Scarab Husk (low def, only 42x)

Shield - +111 all res 'Sanctuary' Akaran Rondache (though "Akaran" and not "Sacred", it came with 43 all res automod)

Boots - Gores

Belt- Tgods

Gloves - 20% IAS, 3% Dual Leech, 9% CB, minor life and fire res crafted blood gloves

Ring #1 - 224/16 Ravenfrost

Ring #2 - 7% life leech, AR and ligtning res rare ring

Amulet - Marshall's Amulet of Regrowth (+3 Offensive Aura, +8 Replenish Life)

Charms

Large - mostly life, two AR ones, some res
Grand - one AR and one +offensive aura
Small - mostly life, some res, some MF

Stats

Str 125/180
Dex 122/169
Vita 253/273
Energy 15

15 unused

Skills

20 Zeal
15 Sacrifice
20 Holy Freeze
20 Res Cold
12 Salvation
5 Holy Shield
1 Charge/Smite/Blessed Hammer/Holy Bolt/Might/Holy Fire

Damage

1.7k - 2k per hit
around 250 pulse cold dmg

not including lvl 15 Venom and lvl 22 Enchant

Various mods

59% CB
30% DS
10% OW
20% Chance to cast Level 15 Decrepify on striking
25% Chance to cast Level 15 Venom on striking
(these kick in all the time)
5% Chance to cast Level 15 Fade when struck
(almost every time when there's a pack of archers)
Level 18 Sanctuary Aura When Equipped
-50% Target Defense
65% IAS
70% FHR
30% FRW
14% Life Leech
3% Mana Leech
Slain Monsters Rest in Peace

AR

7k with Enchant from Demon Limb
4k without it

dont forget -50% def from 'Lawbringer'

Defense

5.5k with Defiance and Holy Shield

+500 vs missile (does this increase with HS active?)

Blocking

75% with Holy Shield

Life

>1.2k

Mana

around 180

Resists

Fire - 75%
Cold - 85% +20% absorb and CBF from Ravenfrost
Lightning - 85% +20% absorb from Tgods
Poison - 60%

when 'Treachery' kicks in
V
V

Fire - 75%
Cold - 85% +20% absorb and CBF from Ravenfrost
Lightning - 85% +20% absorb from Tgods
Poison - 75%
Physical - 15%

Merc

Waheed
Act 2 Hell Defensive

His gear:

Tal's Helm
Duriel's Shell
'AmnAmn' Bonehew

also, he has 1.7k life, 6k def and maxed resistances with CBF

Originally posted by Rhone on Oct 18, 2009:

Patriarch Kemlor, Tesladin

Kemlor doesn't "fight", really. It's more like he waves his sword dismissively while the minions of Hell melt in his presence.

Joking aside, Kemlor was fun and effective throughout the game and exceeded my expectations. I wouldn't change anything about how I spent my skillpoints, or how I geared him with one or two exceptions (body armor--no leet runewords yet--and ring--no BKWB).

The Build (lvl 83)

20/26 Zeal
20/26 Sacrifice
20/24 Holy Shock
20/24 Resist Lightning
5/11 Holy Shield

Strength: 120/155
Dexterity: 136/153
Vitality: 239/259
Energy: 15/15

The goal was simple: I wanted the big lightning damage from holy shock, and instead of a "backup aura" for LIs I wanted respectable physical damage that would be active constantly and give me some benefit from life leech. That was accomplished by this build--Kemlor didn't have a hard time killing anything he encountered. (Even the three PI/LIs he came across were zeal'd to death easily enough with no need for a point in Vengeance--I'm guessing ctc static and open wounds is what did the trick.)

The Gear

Code:
Griffon's Eye
Diadem
Defense: 168
Durability: 20 of 20
Required Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0xcc43dbe7
100% Chance to cast level 47 Chain Lightning when you Die
+1 to All Skills
+25% Faster Cast Rate
Adds 1 - 74 Lightning Damage
-22% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+19% to Lightning Skill Damage
+111 Defense
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Rainbow Facet

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x2407144a
100% Chance to cast level 47 Chain Lightning when you Die
Adds 1 - 74 Lightning Damage
-3% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+5% to Lightning Skill Damage

Highlord's Wrath
Amulet
Fingerprint: 0x6d24ca2e
+1 to All Skills
Adds 1 - 30 Lightning Damage
31% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)
Lightning Resist +35%
Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 15

Duriel's Shell
Cuirass
Defense: 687
Durability: 150 of 150
Required Strength: 65
Fingerprint: 0xa0278acb
+188% Enhanced Defense
+103 Defense (Based on Character Level)
+15 to Strength
+83 to Life (Based on Character Level)
Cold Resist +30%
All Resistances +20
Lightning Resist +30%
Cannot Be Frozen
+100 Maximum Durability
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Ort Rune

Carrion Wind
Ring
Required Level: 60
Fingerprint: 0xe7b7ec
10% Chance to cast level 10 Poison Nova when struck
8% Chance to cast level 13 Twister on striking
7% Life stolen per hit
+137 Defense vs. Missile
Poison Resist +55%
10% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
Level 21 Poison Creeper (15/15 Charges)

String of Ears
Demonhide Sash
Defense: 108
Durability: 22 of 22
Required Level: 29
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x5d366683
8% Life stolen per hit
+168% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
Damage Reduced by 13%
Magic Damage Reduced by 12
+10 Maximum Durability

Gore Rider
War Boots
Defense: 151
Durability: 34 of 34
Required Strength: 94
Fingerprint: 0x6bf9307f
+30% Faster Run/Walk
15% Chance of Crushing Blow
15% Deadly Strike
10% Chance of Open Wounds
+181% Enhanced Defense
+20 Maximum Stamina
Requirements -25%
+10 Maximum Durability

Laying of Hands
Bramble Mitts
Defense: 84
Durability: 12 of 12
Fingerprint: 0x6fc4a440
10% Chance to cast level 3 Holy Bolt on striking
+350% Damage to Demons
+25 Defense
Fire Resist +50%

Raven Frost
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xa7f42cf4
Item Level: 69
+238 to Attack Rating
Adds 15 - 45 Cold Damage Over 4 Secs (100 Frames)
+17 to Dexterity
+40 to Mana
Cold Absorb 20%
Cannot Be Frozen

Crescent Moon
Phase Blade
ShaelUmTir
One Hand Damage: 97 - 110
Indestructible
Required Strength: 25
Required Dexterity: 136
Fingerprint: 0xdbc22caa
Item Level: 83
7% Chance to cast level 13 Static Field on striking
10% Chance to cast level 17 Chain Lightning on striking
216% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
+11 Magic Absorb
+2 to Mana after each Kill
Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30/30 Charges)
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Um Rune
Socketed: Tir Rune

Herald of Zakarum
Gilded Shield
Defense: 490
Chance to Block: 52
Durability: 49 of 50
Required Strength: 89
Fingerprint: 0xebd271d3
+2 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
+2 to Paladin Skill Levels
+15% Increased Attack Speed
+30% Faster Block Rate
30% Increased Chance of Blocking
20% Bonus to Attack Rating
+52 to Attack Rating
+190% Enhanced Defense
+20 to Strength
+20 to Vitality
All Resistances +50
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Silver Jewel of Fervor

Silver Jewel of Fervor
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x2efade7b
Item Level: 64
+15% Increased Attack Speed
+52 to Attack Rating

On switch: Double-shael'd Witchwild String for OKs in CS, Blackbog's Sharp+HoZ for 50% slow against bosses and ancients, and Demon Limb+HoZ for enchant the rest of the time.

Charms mostly covered resists.

I stuck with a Blessed Aim merc, equipped with Reaper's Toll, Vamp Gaze, and Shaftstop.

Some LCS numbers (with Blessed Aim merc, Enchant, and Holy Shield):

AR: 9651
Defense: 4746
Zeal damage w/ Holy Shock: 716-6799
HS pulse damage: 1-809
Resists: 75/75/85/75

Most important numbers not reflected on LCS: 75% ias (4fpa Zeal), and -57% enemy lightning resist.

Woe Was Me

I had an unexpected dilemma. See, I had 60% ias with equipment I had no intention of changing--CM, LoH, and Highlord's--and needed 12% more for 4fpa zeal. I initially swapped out Vamp Gaze and SoE to use Stealskull and Nosferatu's, with a plan to use Andariel's (and switch back to SoE) at level 83. Unfortunately, with Kemlor at level 69 I took a little break from him to run Pindle a bit with my sorc--and I actually found the one item I was really really really really really hoping to find: Griffon's Eye.

That killed my plans to get ias from the head slot. You can imagine how upset I was. After much agonizing over how to solve that problem, I suddenly felt thankful for the other lucky find I had in that same set of Pindle runs: my second HoZ. I socketed that with my best JoF (and I appreciated not having to unsocket the pdiamond from my first HoZ), and all my problems were solved.

With everything in place, Kemlor tore through Hell quite nicely. Anything not LI had a fraction of a second to start soiling its undies between seeing Kemlor and exploding, and the LIs had 1-3 seconds to feel some embarrassment before having their heads sliced off.

Final Thoughts

I enjoyed this Tesladin build and would highly recommend it for someone looking for a paladin with an elemental aura; he killed fast enough and survived well enough that I think he would have done perfectly fine even with significantly less twinkage. I'm glad that I chose to have solid AR and physical damage with max zeal and sacrifice, instead of maxxing Holy Shield and/or putting points into a backup aura.

IMO if you have a 3os phase blade and a spare Um rune, then it's almost criminal to not make a 'Crescent Moon' and try it out on a Tesladin. I think that gets you pretty close to the kind of melee killing power that's normally only achievable with runes that are far more rare.

The only downside to playing him was a simple gameplay issue with all melee paladins--attack being stuck on left-click. After getting used to simply holding the RMB and mowing mobs down with my frenzy barb, I found playing a Paladin to be a little tedious when faced with small, fast-moving targets (especially when they were obscured by trees, walls, etc.). When a full zeal takes 4/5ths of a second and whatever you clicked on died in the first one or two hits, it takes some fast clicking to avoid wasted time between attacks.

Originally posted by Rizzo on Sep 17, 2004:

Patriarch Gordon

Finally Bhaal was defeated, lying bleeding in a pile of his own intestines...

Gordon, my freezealot beat hell mode, and it wasn't as hard as I thought. After act 1 it went rather well, and the ancients was piece of cake, since they all spawned with exceptional mods (for me).
Gordon is named after the main character in Halflife, Gordon Freeman... :D

He reached level 85, and the final drop from bhaal included a phase blade, so that's ok. I had hoped it was the azurewrath but no such luck for me hehe.

His gear (for the most of the time):

Guardian Angel
Herlequin Crest
Razors edge
Rhyme
Ghoul Talisman (rare ammy: mdr 1, FR 18%, CR 18%, LR 49%, PR 36%, 30% xtra gold)
Raven frost
Storm coil (crafted ring: 2 str, 3 dex, 17 life, 2 min dam, 3% ll, 25% mf
Gore rider
Skull Hand (crafted gloves: 17 life, CR 30%, 10% ias, 3% ll, 9% CB, selfrepair
String of ears

Lotsa damaging charms, life charms, a couple of skillers, and a gheeds that I got today, so it wasn't really with me all the time :)

Base stats:
str: 155
dex: 105
vit: 245
eng: 15

His friend was a BA mercenary with a lionheart, rockstopper and an Ariocs needle. The BA was REALLY worth it, since hitting anything without him would have been near impossible...

This is my first 1.10 character that have made patriarch! He was lots of fun to play, I really recommend this type of character.
Now I move on to my next project: a bowazon using multishot (I think). Thanks MethodOne for the advice, tho I'm not really sure yet :uhhuh:

Thank you SPF members for your support and all your help

Regards
Rizzo

Whoopsie, forgot the skills sorry :uhhuh:

Im at work now but I think it goes like this:
Hole freeze: 20
Resist cold: 20
Salvation: 20
Zeal: 20
Holy shield: ~8

Rest in sacrifice...

Originally posted by RobbyD on May 16, 2010:

Patriarch Scheafer - Fanatic Zealot in 1.09

I would like to present Patriarch Schaefer, a Fanatic Zealot in 1.09 created to use the Schaefer's Hammer that Wild Betty, the 1.09 Burizon found. Schaefer is my 5th Mat/Pat and first Paladin.

I was encouraged to build Schaefer by Pegleg (thanks Pegleg), and, in planning Schaefer, I dug deep in the archives at The Amazon Basin and found some old 1.09 guides, including Asmodeous' guide (thanks Asmodeous). My planning research also revealed Sanctuary as a 1-point PI solution for undead, so I planned to test that out as well. Some guides shrugged off Sanctuary as an aura, but I found that the invested point was well worth it for completely breaking undead PIs (ghosts).

I had not meant to make another 1.09 Pat, but a note in the 1.10 patch notes had always stood out - something like "level 18+ Thorns no longer makes the main character invulnerable to melee attacks" - so I planned Schaefer to include an investment in Thorns to test that note.

So, without further ado, I present Schaefer's stats, skills, and gear:

LCS - Patriarch Schaefer - Paladin
Level 83
Stats:
Strength: 97/173
Dexterity: 140/164
Vitality: 258/308
Energy: 15/26
Resists: 75/73/85/47

Skills

Combat:
Zeal: 3/8
Vengeance: 5/10
Holy Shield: 19/24
Prereqs: 1/6

Offensive Auras:
Thorns: 11/17
Fanatacism: 20/26
Conviction: 20/26
Prereqs: 1/7

Defensive Auras:
Cleansing: 1/6
Vigor: 1/6
Salvation: 1/6

Final Gear:

Helm: Stealskull (43% MF, Shimmering +9 Jewel of Fervor)
Ammy: Highlord's Wrath
Armor: Griswold's Heart (3x jewels of Fervor)
Belt: Thundergod’s Vigor
Rings: Ravenfrost/Rare (9/0/22/0, 119AR, 4% life leech)
Gloves: Laying of Hands
Boots: War Traveler (43% MF)
Weapon/Shield 1: Schaefer's Schaefer's Hammer (Realgar Jewel of Freedom)/Herald of Zakarum (pDiamond)
Weapon/Shield 2: Lightsabre (Bright Jewel of Thunder +1-100 lightning damage)/Timiat's Rebuke (pDiamond)

Charms: 3x Captain's Grand Charms (1 found by Schaefer), Sapphire (29%) and Emerald (29%) Grand Charms, 1 Toxic Small Charm (to prevent monster healing), and various resist small charms - one SC of Good Luck that Schaefer found.

Merc End-Game gear:
Act 2 Defiance Merc "Pratham"
Helm: Vampire Gaze (MDR 14, PDR 20%, 6 LL) found by Schaefer running Hell Countess
Armor: “Smoke” eth Wire Fleece
Weapon: Hone Sundan (AmnAmnShael) – standard issue for all my A2 mercs

Progression:
Early Game - Hard to find uniques were used to the extent possible - Rixot's Keen from level 2, Knell Striker from level 5, Death Gloves + Belt at level 6 - He ended up going PURE SETS using
-full Death Set for the sweet cold damage of that sword (with the Knell Striker on switch for CB needs)
-Angelic Ammy + armor + 2x rings (sweet partial bonuses)
-Sigon's Helm + Shield + Boots
until level 25.

That way, for general questing/leveling, he was sporting nothing but set items. The full Death Set dishes enough damage from the bonus cold damage that it was viable until level 25, when the runewords became available.

At level 25, he used the King's Grace Holy Water Sprinker I made for him, and at level 27, the Honor Knout that my original Barb made. I also made an Honor Yari that allowed the merc to absolutely DOMINATE while he was levelling to grab his endgame weapon, the Hone Sundan. For very much of the game, the merc was a more effective killer than Schaefer himself - I think that's because the 1.09 Zealot can't add damage bonus beyond that of the aura, while the merc gets the aura + the damage bonus from Jab. He was still pretty fragile until I got the Vamp's Gaze on him.

A Rhyme Superior Crown Shield (Staff resists of 40 for a total of 65 Resist@ - sweet shield) + Honor Superior Knout were used for a while, until the repair costs were just too much. I've finally learned my lesson about making runewords in superior base items. An eth Ginther's Rift + Steelclash was used instead until level 42, when the Hand of Blessed Light was equipped with the HoZ.

The choice of the Stealskull was due to availability and a bit of less-than-optimal planning. (a) I didn't have a spare Vamp's Gaze (but Hell Countess provided that sweet one later), and (b) I thought I would be able to free up one of the Griz sockets for a scintillating jewel, but I was a +1 offensive aura skill short.

The choice of Thundergod's Vigor relied on 2 considerations - the +20 strength and the fact that, even with maxed lightning resists in 1.09, MSLE is a killer, especially for fast-swinging melee characters, so he really needed the absorb. This made Zealing LE PI bosses no problem, since the lightning absorb worked like life leeching.

Hand of Blessed Light effectively dominated the NM game (one death to a friggin Fetish Doll in the Flayer Dungeon) while Skullder's Ire was worn for the MDR and +skill. The merc ran with Duriel's Shell in NM to great effect. However, I have found that Duriel's is a bit light for entry to Hell - I really like "Smoke" in a ethereal elite base for a Merc for early Hell, at least until they level enough for something else. Thing is, I tend to leave it on for endgame - Schaefer's merc was very often more durable than he was.

Once he got to level 59, he was able to use the Lightsabre on switch for Zealing with Conviction for PIs. The aura dely took some getting used to, since Fanatacism does NOT have a dely, but Conviction does, so I'd find the first Zeal volley only doing a little damage to a PI, but the next one really producing results as the aura kicked in.

I knew the HoBL would not dominate the Hell game on P8, so I rolled a Cruel Conquest Sword of Restoration and popped Amn, Eth, and a nice rare jewel in it for the final result. I put an eth Smoke Wire Fleece on the Merc for Hell entry and nicely dominated Hell (including bosses) on P8 until equipping Schaefer's in late Act 3. I think it was just bad timing, because that's when Schaefer started getting roughed up - another Fetish Doll got him in Durance 1, and then a group of Blunderbores got him, finally an OK got him by casting IM mid-swing for the 1-hit kill.

Basically, all of Hell was done on P8 except Durance/Meph and CS/Duriel. Holy Shield + Defiance from the merc made wading in the middle of a group of bad guys no big deal... as long as the merc could leech. I will say that a big enough group of mummies and skellies in the A2 Tombs made for some harrowing fights - Sanctuary can't keep an entire mob off your back.

Hell Act 5 was an absolute cake-walk after all the trouble with CS and Durance, the whole act was completely done on P8 (except for ancients, but inluding Baal). He skipped Abaddon, though - I didn't feel like testing him against PI Frenzytaur boss packs.

Some obervations:

For most of the game, this character is unbelievably powerful. Even the lowly Defiance merc was dishing out incredible damage due to the Fanaticism aura. However, a couple of areas/monsters still present a significant challenge. Hell Durance (Fetish Dolls and Blunderbores) and Hell Chaos Sanctuary (IM, of course) produced some deaths. But otherwise, this character waltzed right through the game. Minions + Baal on P8 is no problem - no other character of mine can do them as effectively.

One thing I noticed is that the absorb of the TGod's appears to work much better than the absorb from Lightsabre, for some reason. With TGods and decent lightning resists, the red bulb fills up when the sparks are flying, but with Lightsabre alone, you still seem to get tapped (albeit much smaller chunks than without Lightsabre). I don't know if there is/was a bug with the Lightsabre's lightning absorb, but that's what I noticed.

Blunderbores REALLY tricked him up - no amount of defense or blocking seemed to help, and he got knocked around pretty good by them. I looked up that they use Smite, but my Barb, for instance, really doesn't seem bothered by that - but the Pally really had to be careful with this type of monster.

Sanctuary worked like a charm for PI undead like ghosts - completely removes the immunity and makes them leechable unless they are natural unleechables like skeletons - makes him an especially good Countess runner. However, the removal of undead PI did not extend to the Merc, they were just as immune to his jabs as they were when not affected by Sanctuary. Also made Tombs more doable, but a big enough group could still overwhelm him.

Zealing with the Lightsabre with conviction on weapon switch for non-undead PIs (except for PI/LIs) was quite effective as well - just had to wait for Conviction to take effect. LEs and MSLEs were especially welcome as the sparks acted like leeching. PI/LI monsters were a little tricky, but some points in Vengeance was usually enough for the Lightsabre/Timiat's combo under Conviction to take them out. That's where having TGod's even with Schaefer's Hammer helped a lot - I lost the resist bump of the Hammer on the PI weapon switch.

Level 18 Thorns does NOT make the Pally invulnerable to melee attacks, though that was fairly difficult to test running with HoZ and a Defiance merc - he just didn't get hit that often. I tested it when Schaefer still had the Skullder's Ire on for that last +skill to get to slvl 18.

I had Stealskull on the Merc for a long time, but he was still pretty vulnerable to elemental damage - but I found that the 14 MDR on the Vamp's Gaze (combined to the big resists of Smoke) when I switched his helm REALLY made a difference with his durability.

Finds

NM HF was Shael and Hell HF was Pul.

Lum and Ko dropped, as well as a Blackhand Key while questing, that Vamp's Gaze that came in so handy dropped from running Countess, along with an Occy.

Best of all, a Captain's Grand Charm of Strength that got put to immediate use!

A sweet 471 4os Scarab Husk dropped, and, while not ubar, this Septic Small Charm of Venom doling out 62 poison over 7 seconds at level 15 seems like a mighty fine twinking charm.

Possible Closure on 1.09? Or finish the Septumvariate?
The original FAIL against the 1.09 Ancients that prompted me to return to D2 and obsess on 1.09 was a Paladin. I finished the untwinked Frenzy Barb and made some more characters, but I finally have finished the game with a Pally. Now the question is to move on to 1.10s for HF rushing for the Ohm to make Call to Arms or make a Necro and Assassin to Mat/Pat all character types in 1.09.

The issue with option 2 is that I can't find the Poison Trooper's Overlord build, and my request for a viable 1.09 build in the Necro forum went unanswered. I have a collection of Bartuc's to choose from for an Assassin, and that Claw Mastery bug is just sitting out there ready to be exploited, but beating the game with a Necro seems pretty daunting.

I did finally figure out how to rush characters using the modified .dll and used it to get a round of socket rewards, so I think I'm set for rushing if I go that route. HUGE thanks go out to Steven Q. Urkel for helping me tremendously with that process. I'm hoping he decides to post his "Treaties on Hellforge Rushing: A Fundamentalist Approach" as it really cleared up the process to me.

Retirement Plans
Schaefer is obviously not optimized for transition to 1.10+, but he is an awfully effective Countess runner since absolutely nothing slows him down in the Tower (and he's already found a Vamp's Gaze and an Occy from her), and he also is brutal anywhere in Act 5, but I'd want to get that Skullder's Ire back on him, which means I'd lose the +20 strength of Griswold's and the 4fpa Zeal with the Schaefer's Hammer.

Right now I think he might join the Countess running crew (possibly replacing ClimateChange, who really seems to struggle with the Countess) for the Quest for Vex until I make any further decisions.

Originally posted by RobbyD on Apr 11, 2011:

Patriarch Gauss - Teslot (my first 1.13 Pat)

I am very please to introduce Patriarch Gauss - a Holy Shock Zealot (Teslot) and my very first Mat/Pat in 1.13.

My story is this - I played almost 2 years of 1.09 doing a Sept, farming Vex from Hell Countess, and getting as close to a grail as I could reasonably expect. An underlying goal was to accumulate enough gear in 1.09 that a transition to 1.10+ would not be the disaster I experienced when 1.10 came out. To quote Hatori Hanzai, "In that aim, I was a success!". As a matter of fact, Gauss is by far the most powerful character I've ever played. I did the entirety of the game on /P8 (except Ancients) without a single death. That is not something I accomplished with any of my 1.09 characters. I did it with a combination of items found, made, and given, combining strengths of items from various previous patches.

That includes:
1.09 Ruby SC of Inertia, Raven Claw, and CtA base with +2 Holy Shield
3 1.10s Runewords
2 1.10a uniques (farmed by my 1.10a Andy running MeteOrb)
1 Runeword made in a 1.07 eth base (a gift from BobTheWarrior originating with NagisaFurukawa)

So, without further ado, please meet my latest Patriarch:

LCS

Name: Gauss
Class: Paladin
Experience: 1574952099
Level: 89

Naked/Gear
Strength: 84/134
Dexterity: 147/178
Vitality: 294/339
Energy: 15/20
HP: 1098/1142
Mana: 147/187
Stamina: 446/496
Defense: 36/1638
AR: 720/22806

Fire: 177/137/77
Cold: 174/134/74
Lightning: 182/142/82
Poison: 153/113/53

MF: 130 Block: 75
GF: 100
FR/W: 30
FHR: 37
IAS: 75
FCR: 0

Combat Skills:
Sacrifice: 20/30
Smite: 0/0
Holy Bolt: 0/0
Zeal: 20/30
Charge: 0/0
Vengeance: 1/11
Blessed Hammer: 0/0
Conversion: 0/0
Holy Shield: 0/0
Fist of the Heavens: 0/0

Offensive Auras:
Might: 1/16
Holy Fire: 1/16
Thorns: 1/16
Blessed Aim: 1/16
Concentration: 0/0
Holy Freeze: 1/16
Holy Shock: 20/35
Sanctuary: 1/16
Fanaticism: 0/0
Conviction: 0/0

Defensive Auras:
Prayer: 1/9
Resist Fire: 0/0
Defiance: 1/9
Resist Cold: 0/0
Cleansing: 1/9
Resist Lightning: 20/28
Vigor: 1/9
Meditation: 0/0
Redemption: 0/0
Salvation: 9/17

Gear:

Helm: 1.10s Delirium Death Mask
Ammy: 30@ Mara's (given to me by BobTheWarrior)
Armor: Treachery Wire Fleece
W/S 1: 1.10s Crescent Moon Phase Blade (perfect) / HoZ (pDiamond)
W/S 2: 1.10a Call To Arms (15 BO, +2 Holy Shield) / Spirit Crown Shield
Ring 1: Raven Frost
Ring 2: 1.10a BKWB (+2 skills)
Belt: 1.10a Nosferatu's Coil (10% life leech)
Gloves: Rare Blood Clutches (dual leech, 26% LR, 24% MF)
Boots: War Traveler (46% MF)
Charms: 7x Captains, 1x 15% Shimmering GC, SCs of Good Luck, 1.09 Ruby SC of Inertia

Merc (A2 Might):
Infinity in 1.07 eth Thresher (credited above)
eth Gaze
eth Treachery Wyrmhide

Twinking Progession:
I brought some twinking gear forward from 1.09, including this sword:

Code:
Gemmed Crystal Sword
One-Hand Damage: 5 to 15
Sword Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Fingerprint: 0x156f4d6e
+8 Defense
Fire Resist +13%
Lightning Resist +6%
Cold Resist +15%
+120 poison damage over 2 seconds
Socketed (6: 6 used)

As well Set gear such as Angelic, Arctic, Hsarus', Death's, Sigon's, and Cow King boots.

At level 15 I used a coverted 1.09 Raven Claw, but I found it more fun to use this weapon at level 24:

Code:
Holy Thunder
War Scepter
'EthRalOrtTal'
One-Hand Damage: 16 to 37
Required Strength: 55
Required Level: 24
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xe62eaa8c
GUID: 0xad2b9da3 0xc97a27d7 0x0
+60% Enhanced Damage
+10 to Maximum Damage
Lightning Resist +60%
+5% to Maximum Lightning Resist
Adds 5-30 fire damage
Adds 21-110 lightning damage
+75 poison damage over 5 seconds
+3 to Holy Shock (Paladin Only)
+1 to Sanctuary (Paladin Only)
+2 to Holy Shock (Paladin Only)
-25% Target Defense
150% Damage to Undead
Level 7 Chain Lightning (60/60 Charges)
Socketed (4: 4 used)

I also made this shield that I think would be viable as end-game:

Code:
Rhyme
Crown Shield
'ShaelEth'
Defense: 36
Chance to Block:  65%
Smite Damage: 4 to 12
Durability: 60 of 60
(Paladin Only)
Required Strength: 65
Item Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0x11a105e5
GUID: 0x97319a12 0xd94ffeaa 0x0
+20% Increased Chance of Blocking
Regenerate Mana 15%
Fire Resist +25%
Fire Resist +39%
Lightning Resist +25%
Lightning Resist +39%
Cold Resist +39%
Cold Resist +25%
Poison Resist +39%
Poison Resist +25%
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
40% Faster Block Rate
Cannot Be Frozen
Socketed (2: 2 used)

This setup took Guass through Normal, and with the nice XP of playing /P8, he was able to equip the CM/HoZ for Nightmare. Nightmare was not a challenge. Zeal with Holy Shock. By the time I ran into any LIs, the merc was carrying the Infinity.

Experience:
This is by far the most powerful character I've played. /P8 through the entire game (Ancients excepted) without a death or even a *real* scare (though the LI Frenzytaurs and the Reviving Skellie dudes in Act 5 forced him to retreat, take them more cautiously, and de Seis as well) is an feat I don't think is even possible in 1.09.

None of the Act Bosses or Ancients were a problem at all.

I put a point into Vengeance just in case a PI/unbreakable LI was encountered, but none were. Battlemaid Sarina was unbreakable LI, as were some of the teleporting Imps in Act 5, etc., but Gauss did not ever meet a monster he could not kill with his main attack. I also put a point in Sanctuary which came in handy a time or 2 for providing leech from undeads.

The rare gloves provided enough mana leech that I didn't have to worry about it. The phys damage of the synergized, maxed Zeal was enough to power leeching, so I never had to put on Dracul's Grasp (I have a pair I traded for, but the rare gloves were Gauss' only mana leech).

I found that you can't count on Fade from Treachery being reliably on, so you need good resists even without the Fade.

Playing with a Delirium Helm is an experience. The crowd control is awesome, but the "Delirium" got cast pretty often:

This is your brain...
on Delirium

But the fireworks are spectacular:

Fireworks Display

More Fireworks

BOOM!

One other neat thing is that Gauss' Hell map has the Cathedral with the "Evil Force" Windows

Notable Finds:

Death's Hand

Lem Rune
from NM Griswold

Sander's Paragon (readout)

Torch of Iro

Mal
, Mal

Superior PB
(5os 14% ED - nice Grief base)

Nice Rare boots

A nice gambled Dual Leech / Resists Ring

Messy's Reaver

... and his one and only Unique that can't be found in 1.09...

Demonhorn's Edge

Hellforge Drops:
Ral, Lum, GUL!

Post-Pat Plans:

Well, I don't know. He's sporting some nice MF, so I figure he should do some runs, but I don't know what he's best suited to do. Perhaps CS, or maybe WSK? I'm open to suggestions.

Future Projects:
I'm currently running 1.09 Mephy for TGod's so that I can start my next project - dual 1.13/1.09 Hybrid JavaZons for a direct contrast/compare of the patches. These will be developed parallel to each other - Act by Act. The specific skills will vary somewhat, and the gear will too, but each will have a Titan's as a main weapon using LF and a bow on switch for situational use.

I also want to build a Barb around the Grief I plan to make in that PB - but my idea for a Frenzied Vengeance Barb with Kingslayer was shot down by the fact that Vengeance doesn't work with Grief's added damage. I'm thinking maybe an Oath/Kingslayer combo then. Has this ever been done?

Originally posted by Rummski on Mar 3, 2009:

Patriach Moochie - A Thank You to the SP(T)F Tesla-Zealot!

Patriarch Moochie - Tesla-Zealot Paladin
:

The name is taken as an homage to the SP(T)F. When I restarted last year, I was heavy into the trading and giveaways and really finished up most of my grail thru the SPTF. I'd been debating how to use some of the items for a while, and wanted try out a Paladin w/ HoZ. So Moochie was born, name drived from the word Mooch, hopefully I'm not considered one :), but I thought the name fit! Moochie used a bunch of items I've received in giveaways and/or trades. I'll give thanks to the members of the forum from which I received the items.

Stats Stats

Level 81

Strength : 209 (138)
Energy : 10 (15)
Dexterity : 98 (164)
Vitality : 193 (270)

Life : 1259
Mana : 175
Stamina : 484

Zeal Damage: 1383 - 9603 (Main)

Holy Shock Damage: 1 - 1065

Zeal AR: 6935

DEF: 2637

Resistances:

Cold - 75%
Fire - 75%
Lightning - 90%
Poison - 69%

Equipment

Main:
- Main Weapon: Astreon's Iron Ward / Shael - Thanks to Callador and RibGriller (Giveaway)
Astreon's Iron Ward - Calldor / RibGriller
Caduceus
One Hand Damage: 128 - 149
Required Strength: 97
Required Dexterity: 70
Fingerprint: 0xefe37c76
Properties:
248% Enhanced Damage
Damage Reduced by 6
+80 - 240 Magic Damage
Damage +62
182% Bonus to Attack Rating
33% Chance of Crushing Blow
Slows Target by 25%
150% Damage to Undead
30% Increased Attack Speed
1 Sockets (1 used)
- Shield: Herald of Zakarum / PDiamond - Self-Found
Herald of Zakarum
Gilded Shield
Defense: 500
Chance to Block: 82%
Smite Damage: 20 to 28
Durability: 50 of 50
(Paladin Only)
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0xabae821c
+20 to Strength
+20 to Vitality
+196% Enhanced Defense
+30% Increased Chance of Blocking
All Resistances +69
30% Faster Block Rate
Socketed (1: 1 used)
Perfect Diamond
- Helm: Griffon's Eye / Lightning Facet - Thanks to Jaedhann (Trade)
Griffon's Eye - Jaedhann
Diadem
Defense: 207
Required Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0x8107c71e
Properties:
+153 Defense
25% Faster Cast Rate
+1 to All Skills
+1 - 74 Lightning Damage
100% Chance to cast level 41 Nova when you Level-Up
19% to Lightning Skill Damage
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Rainbow Facet

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0xccf96b1a
Properties:
+1 - 74 Lightning Damage
100% Chance to cast level 41 Nova when you Level-Up
19% to Lightning Skill Damage

- Armor: Fortitude Archon Plate - Thanks to Fabian (Giveaway)
Fabian's Fortitude - Fabian
Archon Plate
Defense: 1500
Required Strength: 103
Fingerprint: 0x61425a2a
Properties:
All Resistances +30
200% Enhanced Defense
300% Enhanced Damage
25% Faster Cast Rate
+12 Damage Taken Goes To Mana
20% Chance to cast level 15 Chilling Armor when struck
109 to Life (Based on Char Lvl)
+1 to Light Radius
+15 Defense
Damage Reduced by 7
Replenish Life 7
5% to Maximum Lightning Resist
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: El Rune
Socketed: Dol Rune
Socketed: Lo Rune

- Belt: Razortail - Self Found
- Gloves: Dracul's Grasp - Self Found
- Boots: Gore Rider
- Switch Weapon: "Crescent Moon" Phase Blade - Self Found
Crescent Moon
Phase Blade
'ShaelUmTir'
One-Hand Damage: 97 to 110
Sword Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Indestructible
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Fingerprint: 0xdd353249
+216% Enhanced Damage
20% Increased Attack Speed
Ignore Target Defense
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
+10 Magic Absorb
10% Chance to cast Level 17 Chain Lightning on striking
7% Chance to cast Level 13 Static Field on striking
Socketed (3: 3 used)
Shael Rune
Um Rune
Tir Rune
- Switch Shield: "Sanctuary" Troll Nest - Thanks to xDuckster for Ko Runes (Trade) and Callador for Mal (Trade)
Sanctuary
Troll Nest
'KoKoMal'
Defense: 425
Chance to Block: 70%
Smite Damage: 24 to 38
Durability: 74 of 74
Required Strength: 106
Required Level: 57
Fingerprint: 0xbeb28f7c
+20 to Dexterity
+155% Enhanced Defense
+20% Increased Chance of Blocking
+250 Defense vs. Missile
Magic Damage Reduced by 7
All Resistances +56
20% Faster Hit Recovery
20% Faster Block Rate
Level 12 Slow Missiles (60/60 Charges)
Ko Rune
Ko Rune
Mal Rune
- Amulet: Seraph's Hymn - Thanks to Xena1985 (Trade)
Seraph's Hymn
Amulet
Fingerprint: 0xe4a5f2ee
Properties:
+2 to Light Radius
47% Damage to Demons
48% Damage to Undead
+195 to Attack Rating against Demons
+180 to Attack Rating against Undead
+2 to All Skills
+2 to Defensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
- Ring1: Bul-Kathos Wedding Band - Thanks to RibGriller (Giveaway)
Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x31b4d45c
+50 to Maximum Stamina
3% Life stolen per hit
+1 to All Skill Levels
+40 to Life (Based on Character Level)
- Ring2: Raven Frost - Self Found

Inventory Summary:
- 2*4 free squares
- 1 Captain's, 1 Lion-Branded Skiller
- 1 Shimmering GC of Sust. 13 Res All + 35 Life
- Bunch of Fine, Steel and Res SC with random suffix

Skills

Defensive Auras:
Max (28) Resist Lightning
9 (17) Salvation (Any more points will go here)

Offensive Auras:
1 (8) Might, Holy Fire, Holy Freeze
Max (27) Holy Shock

Combat Skills:
Max (32) Sacrifice, Zeal

Mercenary

Aliza, A1 Fire:

Equipment:
- Windforce - Thanks to Jaedhann (Trade)
Windforce
Hydra Bow
Two-Hand Damage: 35 to 491
Required Dexterity: 167
Required Strength: 134
Required Level: 73
Bow Class - Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x7634d219
+10 to Strength
+5 to Dexterity
+250% Enhanced Damage
Heal Stamina Plus 30%
8% Mana stolen per hit
Knockback
+253 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
- Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest
- eBugged "Treachery" Great Hauberk
Treachery
Great Hauberk
'ShaelThulLem'
Defense: 1098
Durability: 26 of 26
Required Strength: 108
Required Level: 56
Fingerprint: 0x3542fa7e
Cold Resist +30%
+2 to Assassin Skill Levels
45% Increased Attack Speed
20% Faster Hit Recovery
25% Chance to cast Level 15 Venom on striking
5% Chance to cast Level 15 Fade when struck
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (3: 3 used)

Shael Rune
Thul Rune
Lem Rune
Inserted into a Great Hauberk

I used her only for the Windforce, she was very helpful with body retrival...She was sturdy unless swarmed.

Gameplay

Normal played P8 most with Full Milabrega's, no trouble at all...

NM played P8 as well, switching in final gear as I went along, Crescent Moon sliced thru the entire difficulty, one IM death in Chaos Sanctuary, Pul from the Hell Forge. Lister dropped another Pul No real trouble...

Hell played P1. Started around level 70, no trouble in Acts 1 and 2, 3 was slightly slower, as more lightning immunes came along the slower it got, Act 4 was easy without Stranglers, but if they were around Moochie drank Blue Pots like Guinness (No ML FTL), Hell Forge dropped a GUL! Chaos Sanctuary was terrible, he died at least 6 times to IM, most of the time mid Zeal IM would hit and dead before Zeal ended. This was the most frustrating character for IM I've ever played...Rushed thru Act 5 to just get him done., He would be a decent WSK runner in terms of leveling, but if OKs are around I'd S & E, just not worth it for me.

Finds

- Hellforges: Nef / Pul / Gul
- Items: Nothing of circumstance, but played without much MF.

Future

Moochie will likely enjoy retirement. Tesla-Zelaot was fun early but very frustrating in the CS, I don't know how many more Pally's I'll try, I may make a more traditional one not trying to use some of those items...

5 of 7 down for a SC Sept. I'm planning a Druid next along with starting a self-found HC grail hunt...

Thanks again to all the SPF for the help and items, I hope to be able to pay it forward in the future!

Cheers,
Rummski

Originally posted by SeDnA on Dec 23, 2005:

Pat/Mat Thread

=======================================

1. Fanatic Zealot [SwiftNHurty]
2. Blizzard Sorceress [CoolTrix]

SwiftNHurty - The Fanatic Zealot
Level 84
Date of Completion: 5th December 2005

Skills
Unspent: 2
Defensive Auras
1 Prayer
1 Defiance
1 Cleansing
1 Vigor
1 Redemption
Combat Skills
20 Sacrifice
20 Zeal
1 Vengeance
1 Smite
1 Holy Bolt
1 Blessed Hammer
1 Charge
20 Holy Shield
Offensive Auras
1 Might
1 Blessed Aim
1 Concentration
20 Fanatism

Stats
Strength 111/136
Dexterity 134
Vitality 220
Energy 15
Unspent 35

Fire Resist 72
Cold Resist 31
Lightning Resist 3
Poison Resist 4

Damage
Zeal(With Might & Fanatism): 174 - 2936

Equipment
Weapon1: 'Cresent Moon' Cryptic Sword
Shield1: 'Rhyme' Rondache
Armor: Shaftstop
Helm: Guillaume's Face
Gloves: Laying of Hands
Belt: Hsarus' Iron Stay
Boots: Hsarus' Iron Heel
Amulet: Amulet of Luck
Ring: Manald Heal
Ring: Plague Hold
Weapon2: 'Strength' Rune Scepter
Shield2: Hsarus' Iron Fist

Might Mercenary
Helm: Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest
Armor: Spirit Forge
Weapon: Bonehew 'Hel/Jewel(24%ED,4Min)'
Damage(With Might & Fanatism): 1246 - 4764

Drops
NMHF: Dol
HHF: Um
Items: Viperfork (Random Boss WSK1), Cranebeak (Baal)
Highest Rune: Pul (Minus Forge)

Comments
I played with my bro from normal to hell act 3 with his poison/summon hybrid, which I decided to do later on. There were no problems while questing together.

After reaching hell A4 we stopped questing for a long time and instead we were mf'ing like crazy using those two characters for better equipment as we were untwinked. Countess was kind and blessed me with an Um, and after weeks of playing in the pits I finally rolled a 3s Cryptic Sword. An armor rack from some place which I can't remember dropped a 2 socket rondache with inherent 42 resists, which became my Rhyme.

So finally, I went on questing alone. Act 4 was easy, until the Chaos Sanctuary. After dying once to iron maiden I was more careful. Then I met a CE/LE/Conviction Aura Oblivion Knight. Took around 10 minutes and countless deaths before he fell. Diablo was easy due to the "Stand beside him to not get him by LBOD" bug. Act 5 was more difficult than Act 4 overall. The frozen river was quite easy as the monsters rolled weren't hard. Later on, I met some PI frenzytaurs but rerolled immediately to get easier monsters. Ancients were not as difficult as imagined. It took only three tries to take them out. The first time was a disaster, I rerolled immediately upon seeing the 'Cursed' mod. The second was even worse. I did not notice that korlic was LE, as Talic had the holy shock aura, and that the terrain was very bright. I went to zeal korlic a few times and died immediately. The third was the easiest, I got CE on one, FE on one, and no disgusting auras or cursed mods. WSK1 was fine, WSK2 was easiest, WSK3 was disgusting due to those PI witches, Throne was a catastrophe. With gloams around I took extra caution. Dolls were easier than gloams, for this character. I charged past a boss pack of gloams, didn't even dare to find out what mod the boss had. After taking great pains to clear the throne room, it began. Wave 1 was the easiest, as usual. Wave 2, surprisingly, was the hardest. I tried to tank the mages and the mummies, but died almost immediately. after collecting the corpse, I took out mages one by one, and used redemption to clear their bodies. It worked for the first few, but this plan soon began to collapse. I lured the mages to the bottom corner, and charged to the top corner into the town portal. Healed at malah, took a deep breath, and went down. I charged straight to the mummies and began zealing. One mummy death meant one town trip. After all the mummies perished, the mages followed easily. My mercenary left me alone from now as I ran out of gold pieces. Wave 3 was quite simple, though the hydras were painful. Soon I lured the council one by one and realised that they die very quickly, so I tanked them. For some reason, bartuc went outside the throne room, so wave 4 came. I went beside baal to try to fight the venom lords one by one, it failed badly, their range was too long. They could inferno me even without being too close. So I had 5-6 venom lords infernoing me at the same time. I lured them away from the corpse, and bartuc came looking for me. I grabbed my corpse and slayed him, before slaying the rest of the pack. Wave 5 was surprisingly easy, before that I felt that I needed my merc so I went to kill some stuff in the cold plains to try to collect some gold. With my merc fighting alongside me, and making use of the steps to fight the minions one by one, it did not take too long before the whole pack suffered a pathetic death. Baal, the final boss, was easier than his minions. Smite took him out in a while, and my paladin became patriarch!

CoolTrix - The Blizzard Sorceress
Level 85
Date of Completion: 23th December 2005

Skills
Unspent: 0
Cold Tree
1/8 Frost Nova
12/19 Ice Bolt
20/27 Ice Blast
20/27 Glacial Spike
20/27 Blizzard
20/27 Cold Mastery
Fire Tree
-
Lightning Tree
1 Static Field
1 Teleport
1 Telekinesis

Stats
Strength 71/72
Dexterity 25/46
Vitality 205/225
Energy 35/55
Unspent 174

Fire Resist -10
Cold Resist -19
Lightning Resist 19
Poison Resist -19

Damage
Blizzard: 3366-3567
Ice Blast: 1548-1609
Glacial Spike: 852-907

Equipment
Weapon1: The Oculus
Shield1: 'Rhyme' Grim Shield
Armor: Gemmed Gothic Plate '4 Ptopaz'
Helm: Hailstone Mask
Gloves: Frostburns
Belt: Goldwrap
Boots: Waterwalk
Amulet: Glacial Amulet
Ring: Nagelring
Ring: Rune Turn
Weapon2: Blade of Alibaba
Shield2: Moser's Blessed Circle '2x Pdiamond'

Defiance Mercenary
Helm: Guillaume's Face
Armor: Shaftstop
Weapon: The Reaper's Toll (Lord_Vega)
Damage: 302 - 1619

Drops
NMHF: Um
HHF: Hel

Comments
Normal and Nightmare at /p8, it was a breeze. Then signed up for the MFL tourny with her so had to rush through hell. At level 75, she tele'd through acts 1,2 and 3. Then she tele'd through to the River of Flame before playing through the Chaos Sanctuary. She arrived at Act 5 at level 76. The fun began, as I tried to save anya. The first try was gloams, so I died and quitted. The second try was almost successful, however nice Oculus tele'd her into a bunch of fana vipers. The third try was a failure as I tele'd right into frozenstein. The fourth, was a successful one. After luring Frozenstein away from Anya, she tele'd like a mad woman to Anya and successfully saved her. Needless to say pindle got raped at /p8 until she was level 85. However the only elite unique dropped was an Ethereal Edge. She challenged the ancients and got past quite effortlessly. At WSK level two disaster struck. Gloams, she died to one boss pack, which was hardly overcome after 5 minutes of corpse-collecting and blizzarding randomly. Baal's minions were easy as none except wave 2 mages were cold immune. Baal himself was a joke, so were his drops.

Originally posted by Serdash on Apr 2, 2007:

Patriarch DaShocka(1.11)

Well, here's my first Infinity character of god knows how many. Took me a while to get him out since I'm bored with the game, but he's a Paladin, he's a Tesladin, and he's so ****ing overpowered it's silly. Here he is though.

Stats
Defensive Auras
Offensive Auras
Combat Skills

Equipment is as follows
Griffon's Eye(11/19 with 15% IAS Jewel)
Mara's Kaleidoscope
Crescent Moon Phase Blade
(Switch) Call to Arms Crystal Sword(6/3/6)
Herald of Zakarum(PDiamond)
(Switch) 'Spirit' Runeword Rondache
'Treachery' Rune Word Dusk Shroud
Dracul's Grasp
Ravenfrost(+20 Dex)
Arachnid Mesh
Stone of Jordan
Natalya's Soul
8x Offensive Aura Skillers (Complements of DC)

He hit a four frame zeal thanks to Trechary, and leeching back life was no problem since Life Tap triggered quite often. Mana wasn't much of a problem, he had quite a bit of it, and at 2 mana per swing he could keep going all day. Even mana burners didn't bother him much since he regenerated mana at a decent rate, and a couple of zeals was enough to take down the mana burners before they could continually burn him.

My mercenary has a setup that helps the build quite a bit, he was an Act 2 Holy Freeze Merc wearing a Vamp Gaze, Eth Upped Duriel's Shell and this:
Infinity
Superior Cryptic Axe
'BerMalBerIst'
Two-Hand Damage: 195 to 1010
Required Dexterity: 93
Required Strength: 155
Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x6905db86
+284% Enhanced Damage
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
35% Faster Run/Walk
Prevent Monster Heal
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped
50% Chance to cast Level 20 Chain Lightning When You Kill an Enemy
Level 21 Cyclone Armor (30/30 Charges)
+43 to Vitality (Based on Character Level)
-55% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (4: 4 used)

I could improve his armor and helm options, but the fact I didn't actually need to made it worth my time to keep him like that since Nightmare.

The only thing I had trouble with were some of the unbreakable LI's, usually because when I tended to run into them, I ran into them in tight cooridors, which meant I wasn't running past and forgetting them. But the fact that a lot of the unbreakable LIs that I find you run into are undead made it easy to pick what I wanted to do with my spare skill points.

Oh.

You wanted my skill layout?

20 Holy Shock
20 Resist Lightning
20 Salvation
4 Zeal (Yeah, could've gotten by with 1)
1 Holy Shield
20 Sanctuary
3 Cleansing

I plan on getting more points in cleansing to bump up the magic damage from Sanctuary a little. The idea of using Sanctuary came from when I was reading Guai's thread about how his barb handled OKs with Leap and Azurewrath. To my surprise, it's not a half bad strategy on a paladin, either. But I have no azurewrath, but I do have direct access to the aura through my skill tabs, so I went with that route. Hell, I had plenty of spare points as it was, both skill and stat.

Oh.

You wanted my stats, too? Well they're in the screenshot, but my base stats are...

Str - 55
Dex - 120
Vit - 340
Ene - 15

So yeah.

Ridiculously overpowered.

Any questions?

Originally posted by Skinnyy on Feb 22, 2008:

Patriarch LeakyBrain - Twohanded-sword Zealot Barbarian

I recently found a Lo and made fortitude; this build was designed specifially around that armor. It also came about as the result of trying to make a two-handed zealot work (after having some frustrations mainly due to low defense, no shield, not enough life, and resist problems) while experimenting with a paladin. Turns out the best two handed zealot (at least IMO) is a Barbarian. This is one of the few chars I have that I didn't build based around a guide, so maybe this has been done, but I haven't seen a writeup for one so I thought I would write it up.

Character Name: LeakyBrain
Character Class: Barbarian
Character Level: 83

Stats:

base / with gear and charms
Strength: 116 / 166
Dexterity: 79 / 104
Vitality: 305 / 305
Energy: 10 / 10

Life: 1583 / 3419 with BO
Mana: 132 / 297 with BO

Resists (Hell):
Fire: 74
Cold: 55 (also 20% absorb from Ravenfrost)
Lit: 80
Pos: 85

Defense:
Without Shout/Chilling Armor: 7,592
With Shout, but no chilling armor: 15,184
With Shout and Chilling Armor: 17,339

Damage:......................................Zeal (slvl 5)................Berserk (slvl 5)
................................................-------------...............--------------
Base (no fort, might, or charms):.... 1259 - 1912 .............. 2544 - 3761
With Fortitude only:...................... 2168 - 3220 .............. 3453 - 3761
Fortitude and might:..................... 2804 - 4136 .............. 4089 - 5984

Fortitude, Might, and Charms:........ 4,690 - 6,030 ............. 5,975 - 7,878

Skills:
Hard / Gear

0 / 5 Zeal (from Passion)
0 / 5 Berserk (Passion)
20 / 31 Battle Orders (weapon swap for casting)
20 / 28 Shout (weapon swap for casting)
20 / 24 Iron Skin
20 / 24 Sword Mastery
5 / 9 Natural Resist
2 / 6 Howl (maxing next, berserk synergy)
1 / 5 Battle Cry

1 in leap, leap attack, increased stamina, increased speed, taunt, Battle Command (although battle command is not needed now, but didn't have CtA when I started this Character)

Gear:

Passion Ebugged Highland Blade
Fortitude Dusk Shroud
Andariel's Visage (with 9% Fire Res / 15 IAS)
Gore Rider
Highlord's Wrath
Nosferatu's Coil
Laying of Hands
Raven Frost
Rare 6LL/4ML/22LitRes Ring

on swap:
CtA crystal sword
+ 3 warcrys war hammer

With this setup I had an 11/5 zeal and an 11 frame Berserk.

Charms:
15% Res All GC
22% Fire Res from 2 SC
32% Cold Res from 3 SC

12 x 100 psd SC
4 x 175 psd LC

Merc:
Nightmare Offensive (Might)
Level 83
74 resist all
45% DR
3930 Life (with BO)
19,105 Defense (with shout)

Merc Gear:
Eth Obedience Cryptic Axe
Eth Shaftstop (jewel of fervor)
Eth Vamp Gaze (jewel of fervor)

Gear readouts:
Code:
Passion
Superior Highland Blade
'DolOrtEldLem'
One-Hand Damage: 99 to 281
Two-Hand Damage: 303 to 436
Required Dexterity: 94
Required Strength: 161
Sword Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Indestructible
Fingerprint: 0x5a7625ab
+188% Enhanced Damage
+15% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1-50 lightning damage
Increase Maximum Durability 11%
75% Extra Gold from Monsters
25% Increased Attack Speed
+1 to Zeal
+1 to Berserk
Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
Hit Blinds Target +10
73% Bonus to Attack Rating
75% Damage to Undead
+50 to Attack Rating against Undead
Level 3 Heart of Wolverine (12/12 Charges)
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (4: 4 used)

Fortitude
Dusk Shroud
'ElSolDolLo'
Defense: 1401
Durability: 11 of 20
Required Strength: 77
Required Level: 59
Fingerprint: 0x25230fbe
+200% Enhanced Defense
+300% Enhanced Damage
+15 Defense
Damage Reduced by 7
Fire Resist +26%
Lightning Resist +26%
+5% to Maximum Lightning Resist
Cold Resist +26%
Poison Resist +26%
Replenish Life +7
+1 to Light Radius
25% Faster Cast Rate
12% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
20% Chance to cast Level 15 Chilling Armor when struck
+1 to Life (Based on Character Level)

Andariel's Visage
Demonhead
Defense: 331
Durability: 15 of 20
Required Strength: 102
Required Level: 83
Fingerprint: 0xf772cf1b
+30 to Strength
+114% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist -21%
Poison Resist +70%
+10% to Maximum Poison Resist
9% Life stolen per hit
35% Increased Attack Speed
+2 to All Skill Levels
15% Chance to cast Level 15 Poison Nova when struck
Level 3 Venom (20/20 Charges)

socketed with
Garnet Jewel of Fervor
Fingerprint: 0x2979e2dd
Fire Resist +9%
15% Increased Attack Speed

Gore Rider
War Boots
Defense: 150
Durability: 30 of 34
Kick Damage: 39 to 80
Fingerprint: 0x1000cda4
+20 to Maximum Stamina
+178% Enhanced Defense
+10 Maximum Durability
Requirements -25%
30% Faster Run/Walk
15% Deadly Strike

Highlord's Wrath
Amulet
Fingerprint: 0x188aaf3e
Lightning Resist +35%
Adds 1-30 lightning damage
+1 to All Skill Levels
0% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)

Nosferatu's Coil
Vampirefang Belt
Defense: 58
Durability: 8 of 14
Required Level: 51
Fingerprint: 0x8c87154c
+15 to Strength
7% Life stolen per hit
-3 to Light Radius
10% Increased Attack Speed
Slows Target by 10%

Laying of Hands
Bramble Mitts
Defense: 86
Durability: 10 of 12
Fingerprint: 0xc0fb9aca
+25 Defense
Fire Resist +50%
350% Damage to Demons
10% Chance to cast Level 3 Holy Bolt on striking

Raven Frost
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xad450058
+16 to Dexterity
+40 to Mana
+241 to Attack Rating
Adds 15-45 cold damage over 4 seconds
20% Cold Absorb
Cannot Be Frozen

Dread Band
Ring
Required Level: 46
Fingerprint: 0x9ba9fb13
+8 to Maximum Stamina
+107 to Attack Rating
Lightning Resist +22%
6% Life stolen per hit
4% Mana stolen per hit
Half Freeze Duration

And on Switch:

Call to Arms
Crystal Sword
'AmnRalMalIstOhm'
One-Hand Damage: 18 to 56
Fingerprint: 0x45d6d050
+278% Enhanced Damage
Adds 5-30 fire damage
7% Life stolen per hit
Replenish Life +12
40% Increased Attack Speed
+5 to Battle Orders
+2 to Battle Cry
+2 to Battle Command
Prevent Monster Heal
+1 to All Skill Levels
Socketed (5: 5 used)

Echoing War Hammer
One-Hand Damage: 19 to 29
Durability: 110 of 110
Required Strength: 53
Mace Class - Slow Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x4564654c
150% Damage to Undead
+3 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)

Merc Items:
Code:
Obedience
Cryptic Axe
'HelKoThulEthFal'
Two-Hand Damage: 230 to 1057
Required Dexterity: 72
Required Strength: 122
Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x9ef45a11
+10 to Strength
+10 to Dexterity
+370% Enhanced Damage
+287 Defense
All Resistances +27
Adds 3-14 cold damage over 3 seconds
Requirements -20%
40% Faster Hit Recovery
-25% Target Defense
30% Chance to cast Level 21 Enchant When You Kill an Enemy
-25% to Enemy Fire Resistance
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (5: 5 used)

Shaftstop
Boneweave
Defense: 2152
Durability: 23 of 45
Required Strength: 148
Item Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0x230fd987
+60 to Life
+212% Enhanced Defense
+250 Defense vs. Missile
Damage Reduced by 30%
Required Level +7
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 1 used)

Vampire Gaze
Grim Helm
Defense: 378
Durability: 21 of 21
Required Strength: 48
Fingerprint: 0x135a41aa
+100% Enhanced Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 15
Damage Reduced by 15%
Adds 6-22 cold damage over 4 seconds
8% Life stolen per hit
7% Mana stolen per hit
15% Slower Stamina Drain
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 1 used)

Charms:
Code:
Shimmering Grand Charm of Dexterity
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 27
Item Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0x114f8dcc
+4 to Dexterity
All Resistances +15

Ruby Small Charm
Required Level: 32
Fingerprint: 0x170cd6fc
Fire Resist +11%

Ruby Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x783c2543
Fire Resist +11%

Sapphire Small Charm of Sustenance
Fingerprint: 0xa9a7e6d8
+13 to Life
Cold Resist +11%

Sapphire Small Charm of Sustenance
Fingerprint: 0x6562eeab
+13 to Life
Cold Resist +10%

Sapphire Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xa0180434
Cold Resist +11%

Toxic Small Charm of Vita
Required Level: 55
Fingerprint: 0xde920423
+20 to Life
+100 poison damage over 5 seconds

Toxic Small Charm of Vita
Fingerprint: 0xf8ac7771
+18 to Life

Toxic Small Charm of Dexterity
Fingerprint: 0x63fbc3b4
+2 to Dexterity

Toxic Small Charm of Fortune
Fingerprint: 0xb337b75e
5% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Toxic Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x9f33434e

Toxic Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x8c0513a1

Toxic Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xed423ca7

Toxic Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x20f21384

Toxic Small Charm
Item Level: 83
Fingerprint: 0xd836e214

Toxic Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x83ff92ab

Toxic Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x58e5a8cf

Toxic Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xc19eb5d1

Thoughts:

First I'll start by saying this character kicked butt all the way through Hell. Lister at p8? No problem. Despite lacking a shield for defense I had no problems. Most monsters had a less than 20% chance to hit (according to the LCS). The hit-blinds-target and chance to flee mods on passion provided more than enough crowd control combined with high defense to make tanking pretty much anything possible.

All my gear was chosen to swing the biggest, hurtiest sword possible while still maintaining a 5 frame zeal. With this set up I have 110% IAS (you could squeeze out a little more, but would lose a lot of good mods). I only needed 105, so I could have actually gotten away with swinging a Balrog blade (which has a WSM 5 slower than the Highland Blade). It would have had slightly better damage, but I didn't have an ethereal one, much less an eth superior, so I used the Eth Sup Highland Blade I did have.

By looking at the damage numbers you can see how much the mods on fortitude add to this build (about 75% more; before might and the poison charms). I still think, though, that the build is viable without fortitude, you just wouldn't be able to take Lister at p8 in Hell.

The pile of poison charms was instrumental in taking the frustration out the build. The chance to cause monster to flee can be annoying, however, the poison charms would prevent them from healing while gone. Also, a fair number of them died from the poison while running. Another strategy to counter the fleeing was to switch to berserk for the last one or two monsters of a mob. The higher damage in fewer hits meant there was less chance to cast flee before they were killed. Also, there were lots of times where a monster would turn to flee and the next swing of the zeal would kill them before they got out of range. Overall, the CTC Flee was not nearly as big of a pain/annoyance as I initially thought it would be.

Deaths:
I had 4 deaths. First in Normal Chaos Sanctuary to IM. Second was to IM in Nightmare (you think I would learn:rolleyes:). 3rd to a pack of gloams in WSK while under the influence of conviction. 4th was to might enchanted Lister.

Hellforge:
I got a Dol from nightmare, but I got a Gul from Hell 😃. Used the Gul along with another Gul and 4 Ists to cube up an Ohm and make my first CtA.

Notable Finds:
Not much. A Lum from Hell Den of Evil. Reaper's Toll from Hell Baal.

Future Plans:
More Baal runs. They are safe and fairly quick. Kind of a nice change to be able to run Baal that way with a melee character. My best (out of not too many tries) so far for a p1/p8/p3 Baal run was 5:45, which is pretty much inline with some of the Tesladins/etc. in the thread on running Baal with melee characters.

Thanks for reading.

Originally posted by SimontheBulletFreak on Sep 10, 2005:

Patriarch RollingThunder

Lvl 83 Tesladin
maxed Zeal, Sacrifice, Holy Shock, Resist Light, 5 in Salvation
Base Stats:
STR:155
DEX:151
VIT:189
ENE:15

Guillaume's Face socketed w/rare jewel (28% ed, light resist 22%)
Guardian Angel socketed w/resist all +10
Heaven's Light w/ two Lightning Facets
'Sanctuary' Gilded Shield
Dracul's Grasp/Verdungo's/Waterwalk
Ravenfrost/rare ring with 6% ll, light resist 30%, 11 STR/Marshal's Amulet of Atlas (+3 Offensive Aura Skills and +25 STR)
charms: Gheed's, +1 Offensive Aura w/12 FHR, two +1 Combat skillers

A2 Holy Freeze merc with Tal's Helm, Duriels, Reaper's Toll

Hell forge dropped the Mal for the Sanctuary shield. I absolutely slaughtered the ancients on the first roll. All bosses fall before high CB. A great character like his brother the frost zealot. Next on my plate is a bonemancer.

Originally posted by sirpoopsalot on Jul 6, 2007:

Patriarch Maynard (/players8 all-the-way) - Zealot

Since it became apparent I was close to finally achieving grail-1, I decided it was time to knock-off a few other goals or ideas that had taken backseats for a while (in other words: "MF-break!!! Woot!!!"). So here's what I wanted out of Maynard:

The Goals:
- I've never used Zeal before - seriously (it was a little too melee-cookie-cutter for my tastes)
- I've never played on /players8 through the entire game (I came close with George, but got bored in Act5 Hell)
- I've never tried a "super-high Crushing-Blow/fast melee attack" build before
- I haven't used my Stormlash enough, despite it being such an awesome weapon.
- I wanted to see if there is a relatively safe way to really spank Oblivion Knights with a predominately physical-melee-damage build. I didn't want to just survive against OKs, I wanted to mock them as I kicked their arses... in other words, I wanted sweet revenge for every melee build out there.

The Results:
4-frame zeal
4-frame Hit Recovery
75% Block
98% Crushing Blow
63% Deadly Strike (and climbing)
30% Open Wounds
~6 minute Baal runs on /p1/p8/p3 - in reasonable safety, (notes below, with potential to go faster)
... and more

The Details:
Level 88

Base Stats (with equipment / weapon switch):
Str: 60 (135 / 115)
Dex: 111 (137)
Vit: 349 (369 / 349)
Ene: 15

Life: 1444
Mana: 205
Resists: 75F / 69C / 76L / 63P

* all damage stats according to the LCS - they call it the Lying Character Screen for a reason. Feel free to determine real numbers if you're feeling ambitious*
Damage: 270 - 4399 Zeal (with Fanat)
Damage: 293 - 5107 Zeal (with Fanat & Might)
Weapon-Switch Damage: 353 - 1753 Zeal (with Might and Conviction - but discarding the -enemey resistances benefit of Conviction)

Skills:
Zeal: 20
Fanaticism: 20
Sacrafice: 20
Conviction: 20
Resist Lightning: 2
Holy Shield: 1
Redemption: 1
prereq's: 1
- +1 all skills from Highlord's Wrath,
- +2 Pally skills from Harold of Zakarum (HoZ)
- +2 Pally Combat skills from HoZ

Equipment:
Stormlash (Eth)
HoZ (PDiamond)
Guillaume's Face (9 resist all / 1-77 Lightning Damage)... I forgot I had this hidden on a semi-forgotten character
'Duress' Archon Plate
Highlords Wrath
Dracul's Grasp
Goreriders
Ravenfrost
Rare Ring (5% LifeLeech, 4% ManaLeech, 29% FireRes, 25% PoisonRes, +20 Mana)
Rare Vampirefang Belt (+26 Str, +18 Life, 23 FireRes, 30 LightRes, 12 ColdRes) <--- pretty sweet, eh? Needs FHR, says I. :wink2:

Weapon Switch:
Rare Scimitar (60 AR, damage: 2-8 physical, 164-230 Fire, 2-533 Lightning, 21 poison)"Gale Mar / Scimitar / Yarrrrr!!!" is still stuck in my head 👅
Sacred Targe, 44 resist all (4x Jewels of Thunder providing 4-381 Lightning Damage)

Backpack:
2x Sharp GC of Sustenance
5x Steel GC (1x FHR, 1xLife, 1xLightning Damage, 1x+Dex, 1xPlain)
2x Fine SC (1xFHR, 1xVita)
3x Steel SC (various 2nd mods)
3x misc. SCs (poison damage, +life, +resists, +MF, etc.)
Tome of Town Portal
Keys

Merc: Haseen - NM Offensive Townguard (Might)
Level: 88
Reapers Toll (Shael)
VampGaze (+10 Res all jewel)
Shaftstop (AR/IAS jewel)
... I might have changed the armour/helm if I'd actually thought about it - but I didn't... laziness, FTW!!!

Noteable Finds:
*Maynard was actually quite lucky in his drops since he wore very little MF throughout the game (I peaked at 11%MF in Hell - no that's not a typo: 11%MF)*
- Lem / Gul from Hellforge <--- fan-friggin-tastic :jig:
- Shimmering LC of Vita (7/34) act1 or 2, Hell. I don't remember who or where.
- Messerschmidts Reaver (random Grotesque boss, River of Flame, Hell)
- Ko Rune (normal Spikefiend, Bloody Foothills, Hell)
- Pul Rune (Bremm Sparkfist, Durance of Hate 3, NM)
- Skillers: Fletchers (plain, A4 NM, IIRC) and Entrapping of Life (+5, Hell WSK)
- ... several Shael and Sol runes (about 5 of each - I wasn't counting)
- ... several exceptional and normal set/unique items (nothing remarkable other than a couple of eth-grailers).

Notes:
1) as I mentioned, he was /players8 through the entire game, even when rerunning an area. Some interesting tidbits:
- against single monsters, this build kicked butt - very quickly
- Hell Ancients were a cakewalk. They spawned cursed, mana-burn, Holy-Freeze and Fanaticism auras, and I didn't bother to reroll them. I also didn't even drink a potion during that battle either (I think I fed a single red pot to Haseen though). They would have given me more trouble if any of them had been stone-skin/PI, but even then I think it would have taken more than one Stoneskin spawn to actually be a threat.
- The 15% ctc Static Field (Stormlash) definitely had a huge affect... LI monster packs were significantly slower than non-LI monsters in later acts (4+ monsters = 50+% slower, by my estimate).
- Surprisingly, Undead Stygian Dolls were not a problem as long as I was the one killing them (and not the merc). I can tank these as well as any character I've played before, since the life leech and life tap seemed to be just enough to break even (lower /players settings might not work that well; I suspect their death-explosion damage does not scale, but I don't know for sure). I haven't put much thought into why it mattered if me or the merc got the killing blow, but it seemed to have a noticeable affect.
- Gloams were a little bit of a problem, but seldom too bad (if I stayed mobile). I don't remember encountering any Conviction auras around them though. Further levels will mean more points in Resist Lightning to help here.

2) I did a few runs against NM Meph to reach level 67 for equiping the rare scimitar on switch, and again in the Pits (Hell) to get to level 82 for the Stormlash. Otherwise, I didn't rerun any monster or area.

3) Physical Immune monsters were painful. Hell Temptresses spawned in WSK2, and I had a bad map, so that was by far the most brutal area. The mercs Reapers Toll broke most/all of the immunities, but that meant it overwrote my LifeTap, which was helpful to survival. Definitely this is the weakest part of the fanazealot portion of this build.

4) Deaths? Lots of 'em. When I tried to be careful I didn't die often (maybe once or twice all game), but I really didn't worry about death 98% of the time, which meant I occasionally got over my head in the middle of a couple of nasty monster packs. Shame on me for being lazy.

5) Decrepify triggered almost continuously, and Life Tap was definitely a reliable occurence as well. This mix actually worked better than I expected, since I'd say the Decrep was active 80-90% of the time, and LifeTap the rest. That meant that the monsters would slowly be attacking and draining my life when Lifetap would fire up and Haseen and I would instantly leech back what life we'd lost - and almost as instantly, Decrep would trigger again and the monsters would be slowed again for another 2-8 seconds... this pattern was amazingly consistent, and worked unbelievably well... Reapers Toll and Dracul's Grasp... who'da-thunk it?

6) Zeal would be better if you could force it to target a single monster (which, I don't think you can - but I didn't really check). This build is safe enough without spreading attacks around and slowly draining each monster. I'd prefer to kill one quickly, then another quickly, etc. Of course, on /players1 this 'difficulty' shouldn't be as much of a problem.

7) The monster spawn was wierdly "intelligent" at times... I kept mental notes on how well the spawn favoured my build, and how well it played against my weaknesses. The results for the last 4 acts was that consistently 2 out of 3 monster types for an area were either PI, LI, or monsters that ran away as I approached. I liked it best against 'heavy hitters' that would stand and try to knock me silly (go ahead - I'll stand toe-to-toe), but I seemed to get a lot of Fetish/Flayer/pansy-types.

8) Before the Stormlash I had a Heaven's Light, and I didn't entirely like the lower weapon-range - Maynard missed often because monsters were "too far" away (even though they were easy to target from "too far away"). Stormlash's range of 3 was much better than Heavens Light's range of 1.

9) I tried 4-5 Baal runs (for experience) to see how he does: sprint to the throneroom on /players1, clear all of the monsters in the throneroom, jump up to /players8, clear the minion waves at /players8, set it to /players3 and kill Baal... you know the routine. My best time was about 6:00, and worst was around 7:15... but I seldom run Baal, so those times would surely improve with experience, practice and a few character levels. I'd say this is definitely a viable build if you want to pursue a level 95+ melee character.

So, What about that plan to "Spank Oblivion Knights"?
Actually, it worked quite well. Surprisingly well. Then again, it didn't. Is that summary cryptic enough summary for you? Yes? Good, here's the details:

I did the math on that setup, and then tested it out to confirm. On /players1 I kill an OK in 4-6 zeal hits, depending on how often my 65% CB triggers (with conviction active and using my weapon switch)... and my IM-returned damage is only about 400 per killed OK. The results are potion-drinking galore, but it's actually relatively safe if I'm not swarmed.

Swarms... that's the problem. Of course, this method doesn't work that well in swarms - the monsters have way too much life for this to be a solution. Likewise, it's not a great solution on higher /players settings, since monsters have more life (and therefore I receive more returned damage before they die).

Unfortunately for every physical-damage/melee-based character, there aren't any perfect solutions for Iron Maiden, especially in situations where monsters have a lot of life (or there are simply a lot of monsters, which results in a lot of monster life). I'd say this approach is about as good as it gets for a physical/melee build - you can stand in a pack and keep zealing, and there's enough time to drink a rejuv potion once every couple of seconds. Depending on the size of the pack and the /players setting, you might actually make some progress before your belt is empty.

One somewhat interesting note that I learned about Oblivion Knights. It seems that if you stand still they're more likely to hurl their magic/fireballs at you, and if you're running around they're more likely to cast curses. Around swarms, you might be able to strategize somewhat: run around until they cast a curse that doesn't really bug you (LifeTap, for example), immediately stop and start attacking the swarm - hopefully the OK's will switch to hurling their magic/fireballs and won't change the curse on you.

... this is just a theory, I'm not sure if it will work very well.

- nex, for donating the rare scimitar
- Asmodeous, for suggesting the 'Jewels of Thunder' approach, as well as trading me a few jewels
- Jaedhann, for trading the 44resist Sacred Targe and a few jewels

Next Up:
I'll probably try a few more Baal runs (for exp) to see how fast I can get the times. I might get ambitious and try a few tests on fighting OK's too, to refine the data, numbers and what I learned of their behaviour.

I also have my untwinked HC trapper starting Act3 Hell. I'll probably start to push her forward and see how she does, but I'm not entirely looking forward to all of the LI monsters in Act3.

And finally, there's my BeerBelly project. I mentioned him a few times yesterday, but in case you weren't reading my other spam, it's an idea I have for pursuing a guardian. The ground rules are that I can only play him when I'm drunk. 👅

Originally posted by sirpoopsalot on Apr 10, 2009:

StanTheMan - 2-handed Fanatic Zealot (100% CB/100% DS) Patriarch

Once upon a time last week, I was looking at my 'Death' Colossus Sword and thinking "there's a lot of Crushing Blow and Deadly Strike on there... I wonder if I could get them both to 100%"... and then I remembered that Ray already did that, and Liq followed it up with a build that threw 100% Open Wounds on top of that. Oh well, I guess that means I won't be the first, or the most original, but at least I'm adding a big, mean, two-handed swipe to the idea. And since I was going that far I decided to see what kind of damage numbers he could put up (within reason). Also, after the Fendazon, I wanted to build a two-handed zealot so I could compare them a little.

As for the name, unlike my recent Fendazon (NoName), I spent more than 3 seconds trying to think of something this time. Nothing really popped out at first, so eventually I just decided to pay homage to one of my favourite uncles in RL.

Stats:
LCS
... Don't forget 100% Deadly Strike and 100% Crushing Blow on top of those numbers.

Skills:
20 Fanaticism
20 Zeal
20 Sacrifice
20 Blessed Aim (for the passive AR boost)
4+ Resist Fire
1 Vigor, Conviction, Vengeance, Salvation, prereq's

+2 skills (Highlord's Wrath & BattleCommand)

Gear:
ethereal 'Death' Colossus Sword (370%) from v1.07
Fortitude
Guillaume's Face (26/15 Ruby Jewel of Fervor)
Highlord's Wrath
Goreriders
Ravenfrost (19/244)
rare Bramble Mitts (+13 str, +6 dex, 20 IAS, 28 FireRes, 19 LiteRes)
rare Vampirefang Belt (+26 str, +18 life, 23 FireRes, 30 LiteRes, 12 ColdRes)
rare ring (+14 str, +12 life, 38 AR, 16 FireRes, 22 LiteRes, 7% LifeLeech)

Switch: beta-CtA Caduceus + Spirit Sacred Targe
Stash: DemonLimb (Hel rune)
Charms:
6x Sharp GC of Life/Inertia (4 for +99 life, 2 for 14 FRW)
1x Shimmering GC of Life (15/18)
1x Shimmering LC of Vita (7/34)
1x Shimmering SC of Str (5/2)
2x Fine SC of Balance (16/3 & 18/2)
2x ColdResist SC of Balance (11 & 9)
1x Sapphire SC of Vita (11/20 = perfect)

Merc:
Might Aura
ethereal 'Obedience' 1.07 Cryptic Axe
ethereal 'Treachery' Archon Plate
Tal Rasha's Mask (PTopaz)
... with my level22 Fanaticism, he had a 4.5-frame jab going, and ~9k max damage.

And just for kicks, I took a moment to swap armors with him so he could see what the Obedience + Fortitude + Might aura + Fanaticism aura would look like: 13k max damage is what it looks like.

Finds:
Hel/Lum Hellforge
Shimmering Large Charm of Life (+8/11)
Septic Small Charm of Antrax (iirc... it's in the item find thread)
... not much else.

Notes:
1. He was such a powerhouse that most of hell was on /players8, with a dip to /players5 for most of the last couple of acts (including Ancients), with /players3 for the Chaos Sanctuary and WSK. He scored a lot of one-hit kills throughout the entire game, and could've maintained /players8 with ease (it was just a little slower).

2a. As I said previously, my intention was to see what his damage could reach, without making too big of a sacrifice to his survivability and viability. So I could've pumped a bit more damage by dropping a few extra in Strength or swapping some charms, but I felt that was a little overboard.

2b. I was also hoping with all of the +strength/dex items I was planning, I might reach 400 points into Vitality. However, once I got to level65 and equipped everything, I learned I only had about 5.7k AR. So Vitality stopped at 300 and future points all went into Dexterity (even if it wasn't entirely efficient). Also, my initially planned skillpoints into Resist Fire/Lightning were delayed so I could pump Blessed Aim instead. The result pushed me to 9.1k AR at the end (without Enchant from DemonLimb - which I used sporadically throughout hell mostly because the red sword looks better than the grey one :p).

3. Speaking of sporadic usage, he was so strong that I didn't really bother with casting Battle Orders until he ran into some Dolls in Act3 hell. But it definitely helped when the hard-hitters showed up more in the later acts. He probably had ~5 deaths from IM, and 2-3 more from lazy/slow potion usage.

4. And speaking of hard hitters: They're. Back. Actually, none of them spawned Extra Fast this time, and the map was much more favourable, so I had no problems separating them to battle one-by-one. I still managed to burn through ~50 potions and ~3 merc resurrections questing through the Crystaline Passage, but it wasn't nearly as painful/frantic as it was with NoName.

5. Bonus Screenshot: As far as appearances, the Guillaume's Face and two-handed sword kindof made him remind me of the Black Knight from Monty Python. For example: NONE SHALL PASS!!1one :crazyeyes: (he really needs black equipment though).

Comparison with the Fendazon:
Well, this was pretty straight forward really...

The Fendazon had a 20-point Decoy to remove some heat and distract monsters. She had an easier time getting decent resists and attack rating, and her merc didn't get killed by IM. She had a slightly crappier backup attack, but that opinion is shaped more by the 25% flee on Passion than the speed & power of Berserk. The fendazon is probably more original and rare, so she probably gets some style points.

The paladin had ridiculous damage and a merc that was a force in his own right. He had less leech, but didn't as much. His resists & AR could be improved with a more balanced buildplan. Aura-swapping on the paladin makes him more enjoyable to play at times, since he has more varied solutions for the problems he'll face. Although his backup was adequate, it was no more than that (lower /player settings probably would've helped).

Their equipment needs are roughly equal, in my eyes, as is their overall survivability. Fend can attack more targets and is actually a little quicker for me, but Zeal can attack one target multiple times, which is nice since most things died so fast that I rarely fought more than 2-3 monsters at once. Zeal cannot be interrupted too, which is probably the biggest advantage in comparing their attacks.

The way I built them, I'd probably give a slight edge to the paladin because he had a Sanctuary aura to help remove physical immunities from undead (which, is about ~70% of the PI's in the game) - but a Reaper's Toll mercenary on either one would mostly remove the aura's advantage. Running around with Vigor is another plus for the paladin, but a minor one... So really, it's a tossup for me as to which is "better", but I give the edge to the Paladin.

👋

Originally posted by sirpoopsalot on Nov 13, 2009:

Patriarch BjornIronscythe - The Glass-Cannon Tesladin (almost an auradin too)

A short intro. (don't worry, the notes will be long enough to make up for it :rolleyes:)

Patriarch BjornIronscythe
LCS

Other Numbers:
10/6 Zeal speed
75% Crushing Blow
47% Deadly Strike
Prevent Monster Heal
48+ Faster Hit Recovery (5 frames)
11L/3M leech
30% Magic Find
-83% Enemy Defense
-85% enemy fire/lite/cold resists (-17% against immunities)
additional -54% enemy lightning resists

Skills:
20 (22) Zeal
20 (27) Holy Shock
20 Resist Lightning
20 Sacrifice
8+ Salvation
1 Vengeance, Sanctuary, Vigor & prereq's

12 Conviction (granted from equipment)
12 Fanaticism (accessed from the mercenary)
17 Battle Orders / 26 Battle Command (weapon switch)

Gear:
Weapon:
Infinity
Thresher
'BerMalBerIst'
Two-Hand Damage: 50 to 589
Durability: 47 of 65
Required Dexterity: 118
Required Strength: 152
Polearm Class - Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xbb95ffb2
+318% Enhanced Damage
35% Faster Run/Walk
Prevent Monster Heal
Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped
50% Chance to cast Level 20 Chain Lightning When You Kill an Enemy
Level 21 Cyclone Armor (30/30 Charges)
+43 to Vitality (Based on Character Level)
-54% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
Armour: 'Fortitude' Archon Plate
Helm: Guillaume's Face (15 resist all jewel)
Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
Ring1: Ravenfrost (20/204)
Ring2:
Corruption Coil
Ring
Item Level: 82
Fingerprint: 0xa516b838
+14 to Strength
+12 to Life
+38 to Attack Rating
Fire Resist +16%
Lightning Resist +22%
7% Life stolen per hit
Gloves:
Rune Grip
Vampirebone Gloves
Defense: 89
Durability: 13 of 14
Fingerprint: 0xd604cab
+36% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +27%
Cold Resist +29%
3% Life stolen per hit
3% Mana stolen per hit
Belt:
Carrion Lock
Mesh Belt
Defense: 38
Durability: 14 of 16
Required Strength: 58
Required Level: 35
Item Level: 94
Fingerprint: 0x62f891f2
+14 to Life
Lightning Resist +29%
Cold Resist +16%
Poison Resist +18%
1% Life stolen per hit
10% Faster Hit Recovery
6% Chance of Open Wounds
Boots1:
Ghoul Tread
Mirrored Boots
Defense: 161
Durability: 7 of 28
Required Strength: 153
Fingerprint: 0xb5e02db9
+57% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +36%
Cold Resist +36%
20% Faster Run/Walk
10% Faster Hit Recovery
12% Chance to cast Level 4 Charged Bolt when struck
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)
Boots2:
Hailstone Nails
Chain Boots
Defense: 15
Durability: 16 of 16
Required Strength: 30
Required Level: 52
Fingerprint: 0xb0dc5e42
+56% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +34%
Cold Resist +22%
Replenish Life +3
20% Faster Run/Walk
<--- I split the boot usage about 50-50 for Hell, but saved the ethereal ones mainly for the last couple of acts. I liked the eth boots better (obviously), but the durability wasn't enough for getting all the way through Hell on /players8.

Switch:
beta-CtA Caduceus + Spirit Sacred Targe

Charms:
5x Captains skillers (+16 life)
1x Sharp GC of Sust (9/70/33) I only have 5 Captains skillers :p
1x Shimmering GC of Life (15/18)
1x Shimmering LC of Vita (7/34)
1x Shimmering SC of Strength (5/2)
1x Amber SC of Vita (11/16)
2-5x Fine SC of Inertia
0-2x Fine SC of Balance
(I'd swap Fine SC's around based on my current boots and the FHR I needed to get to 48+)

Merc: Abhaya, Fire Rogue
Faith + eth Treachery + Andy's Visage (fire res/IAS jewel)

Notable Finds:
Hellforge: Ko/Hel (seriously, that's like the 6th character in a row with crappy HF's :rant:)
- Steel Small Charm (33) of Balance.
- Gheed's Fortune (37 MF, low rolls elsewhere)
- Chilling GC of Greed (28)
- Nickel Jewel of Carnage (16/15... for the level18 duelers)

Notes:
1. Definitely first and foremost, major thank you to Thyiad for loaning me the Infinity. She mentioned that people tease her about making an Infinity non-ethereal Thresher, but it was a perfect fit for this project. And I think they're all just jealous anyways. ;)

2. I wanted something appropriate for the character name, so I dug around wikipedia for a bit and eventually stumbled onto a list of famous Vikings. Since the Guillaume's Face has horns sticking out of it, that seemed a suitable-enough connection for my imagination. The character name is a bastardization of Björn Ironside.

3. I didn't want him to be a glass cannon. I was actually hoping he'd be pretty sturdy. But since I played on /players8 almost all of the way and his crowd-control skills weren't up to snuff, he was fragile around many swarms. If I'd stuck to lower settings, his 'cannon' would've overwhelmed his 'glass', but once he got surrounded by ~5 monsters his life pool could drain fairly quickly. The point I wasted in Sanctuary should've been dropped into Conversion instead, since that would've been the perfect compliment for distracting swarms.

4. As the title mentions, he's something of an auradin. He has three auras (Conviction from the Infinity, Fanaticism from the merc, and Holy Shock from skills) going most of the time (with a smattering of Vigor and Cleansing thrown in).

5. Actually, I decided to go with "full-hax" and make him something of a tri-elementalist too. The physical & lightning damage are inherent to the tesladin build, but you may be wondering where the fire damage in the LCS is coming from... I figured since I was going for higher /players settings and having a goal of high damage, I'd just do a little self-MP with my fully-decked-out Enchantress. Being enchanted obviously adds a nice chunk of fire damage.

6. Regarding the last 2 points, there are already a couple of Infinity Tesladins in the Mat/Pat compilation, and I wanted something a little bit original. Also, adding the 3rd element meant he never experienced so much as a hiccup in being able to kill anything, which was a common comment about LI's or LI/PI's in the tesladin writeups that I read.

7. The downside of the self-MP was even though Bjorn was the host, my computer would still lag-out routinely. I'd be strolling along and encounter a couple of monsters. The game would 'twitch' for a second or three, and when it came back I would be surrounded by 8 monsters. :(

8. Deaths? Glass Cannon + Lag = Several

9. I wanted an excuse to exhibit some nice rares & crafts on a build. Dracul's Grasp would've been a nice helper and more natural fit for the build, but I think my current gloves are much sexier, and they were critical for getting max resists (except poison) at end-game.

10. What a cash-sink this turned out to be. My ATMA bank finished down about 2.5 million from all of the repairs & resurrections. :p

11. Dolls spawned on Durance 2. Which was noteworthy and (somewhat) frustrating because of the map that spawned. Of course I followed the 'turn left' pattern and cleared ~95% of the map because of it. :crazyeyes:

12. This is the first character that I remember making with a Scythe-type weapon, but I gotta say I loved his appearance. He at least looks like someone you'd want to defend you from the hordes of hell, especially when the ominous-green conviction aura cycles through.

13. I was never intending it, but now that Liq, Zylo and Ray have concluded their Blood Brothers project, it seems like this guy might be something of a cousin-build. There are several obvious differences, but there are a few similarities too - such as the hax gear, the big hurt-stick, his fragility, and the very high amount of damage (although I'm sharing my damage across 3 element types instead of a focus on physical).

Originally posted by Skinhead On The MBTA on Dec 3, 2006:

My First Patriarch

Finally, after a hell of a long time playing, and not quite so much time playing SP, I have made my first ever Patriarch, on or off the realms. He's a Tesladin, made using Wurmer's guide in the Strategy Compendium, with some modifications on the gear because I didn't have some of the stuff he recomended. So here he is, LikesofYouAgain the Holy Shock Paladin:

Name: LikesofYouAgain (I always name my characters after songs, this one is by Flogging Molly)
Build: Tesladin
Level: 86

Life (With Gear): 1110 (1623)
Mana (With Gear): 142 (208)
Resists in Hell: 65/75/95/69

Stats (With Gear)

Strength: 100 (182)
Dexterity: 110 (141)
Vitality: 300 (355)
Energy: 15 (20)

Damage (With Enchant from Lavagout): 1333-6589 (1358-6625)
Attack Rating (With Enchant): 3533 (4498)
Defence (With Holy Shield): 1829 (5578)
Chance to Block: 75% with Holy Shield

Skills (With Gear)

Combat Skills
Sacrifice: 20 (25)
Zeal: 20 (25)
Holy Shield: 8 (13)
Prerequisites: 1 each

Offensive Auras
Holy Shock: 20 (25)
Holy Freeze: 1 (6) (The first option for my remaining skills)
Prerequisites: 1 each

Defensive Auras
Resist Lightning: 20 (23)
Salvation: 2 (5) (This is the other choice for remaining skills)

Gear:

Helm: Vampire Gaze (6%ML, 7%LL, 11 MDR, 19% PDR)
Weapon: Azurewrath (246% EDamage, +5 Attributes, lvl 13 Sanctuary Aura)
Shield: Herald of Zakarum w/ PDiamond (162% EDefence)
Armour: Duriel's Shell (188% EDefence)
Gloves: Lavagout (for the CTC Enchant) (179% EDefence)
Belt: Thundergod's Vigor (173% EDefence)
Boots: War Traveler (175% EDefence, Attacker takes damage of 9, 38% MF)
Amulet: Rare Plague Noose - +1 Offensive Auras, +5 STR, Replenish Life +6, +12 all resists, Damage reduced by 2
Ring 1: Raven Frost (191 AR, 15 DEX)
Ring 2: Rare Corruption Spiral - CTC Lvl 5 Chain Lightning, +44 AR, +7 STR, +10 Cold, Fire, Lightning resist, +38 Poison Resist, Poison length reduced by 25%

Charms: 1 Offensive Aura Skiller with 32 life, rest have resists and life

Merc: Visala, Act 1 Fire Rogue (the free one from the second quest)

Gear
Bow: Harmony Diamond Bow
Helm: Rare Hydraskull (+70% EDefence, 14% LR, 8% PR)
Armour: Rare Chaos Armour (+93% EDefence, 6% LR, 28% PR, 50% PLR, 2 MDR)

Damage: 685-1086

The only real finds that he made were the Offensive Skiller, and the Azurewrath which he found when questing on the way to Baal in WSK3. Gloams were never a problem due to the massive Lightning resists and the Absorb from TGods, and I rerolled the Ancients until there wasn't one that had Might or Fanaticism (which took a while). Hellforge Drops were crap (Hel for Hell, typical), and nothing else to report really.

Originally posted by smokeeblade on Sep 15, 2009:

Patriarch Dante : The by-the-book Tesla

Greetings SPF'ers, I come in cheese :whistling:

Well Dante lived up to expectations; he could definitely hold his own, though there is definitely room for improvement.

Character

Name : Dante (from DMC <3)
Class : Paladin
Level : 80

Strength : 100 (156)
Dexterity : 120 (144)
Vitality : 230 (250)
Energy : 15
Unused : 30

Life : 888 (1527)
Mana : 133 (362)

Fire Resist : 75
Cold Resist : 75
Lightning Resist : 85
Poison Resist : 10

Zeal : 20 (29)
Holy Shock : 20 (25)
Resist Lightning : 20 (24)
Salvation : 18 (22)
Holy Shield : 1 (10)
Pre-reqs : 11 :)banghead:)

Equipment

Code:
Guillaume's Face
Winged Helm
Defense: 217
Durability: 37 of 40
Required Strength: 115
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0xebd0e876
+15 to Strength
+120% Enhanced Defense
+7% Enhanced Damage
+13 to Minimum Damage
Cold Resist +28%
30% Faster Hit Recovery
35% Chance of Crushing Blow
15% Deadly Strike

Shaftstop
Mesh Armor
Defense: 656
Durability: 39 of 45
Required Strength: 92
Required Level: 38
Fingerprint: 0x9782fb99
+60 to Life
+207% Enhanced Defense
+250 Defense vs. Missile
Damage Reduced by 30%

Crescent Moon
Phase Blade
'ShaelUmTir'
One-Hand Damage: 96 to 108
Indestructible
Fingerprint: 0xfd47fcbf
+211% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target Defense
+9 Magic Absorb

Herald of Zakarum
Gilded Shield
Defense: 507
Chance to Block:  82%
Durability: 45 of 50
(Paladin Only)
Fingerprint: 0xf20b8222
+20 to Strength
+20 to Vitality
+200% Enhanced Defense
All Resistances +69
30% Faster Block Rate

Laying of Hands
Bramble Mitts
Defense: 85
Durability: 7 of 12
Fingerprint: 0x26cf29e7
+25 Defense
Fire Resist +50%
350% Damage to Demons
10% Chance to cast Level 3 Holy Bolt on striking

String of Ears
Demonhide Sash
Defense: 109
Durability: 16 of 22
Fingerprint: 0xb72fa9f6
+169% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 11
Damage Reduced by 15%
8% Life stolen per hit
+10 Maximum Durability

Gore Rider
War Boots
Defense: 157
Durability: 33 of 34
Fingerprint: 0xa5efebe2
+20 to Maximum Stamina
+192% Enhanced Defense
+10 Maximum Durability
Requirements -25%
30% Faster Run/Walk
15% Deadly Strike

Raven Frost
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xa5a709c1
+20 to Dexterity
+40 to Mana
+222 to Attack Rating
20% Cold Absorb
Cannot Be Frozen

Storm Turn
Ring
Required Level: 66
Fingerprint: 0x2e6e55d
+17 to Strength
+64 to Mana
+32 to Attack Rating
+9 to Minimum Damage
Cold Resist +9%

Highlord's Wrath
Amulet
Fingerprint: 0x46898714
Lightning Resist +35%
Adds 1-30 lightning damage
+1 to All Skill Levels
30% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)

Code:
Call to Arms
Crystal Sword
'AmnRalMalIstOhm'
One-Hand Damage: 17 to 53
Item Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0x596b812a
+256% Enhanced Damage
Adds 5-30 fire damage
7% Life stolen per hit
Replenish Life +12
40% Increased Attack Speed
+4 to Battle Orders
+3 to Battle Cry
+4 to Battle Command
Prevent Monster Heal
+1 to All Skill Levels
Socketed (5: 5 used)

Herald of Zakarum
Gilded Shield
Defense: 432
Chance to Block:  82%
(Paladin Only)
Fingerprint: 0x3cb80ffe
+20 to Strength
+20 to Vitality
+156% Enhanced Defense
All Resistances +50
30% Faster Block Rate

Borrowed the CtA from my BlizzSorc. Got quite frustrated with the slow cast rate of BO/BC so didn't end up using it much :crazyeyes:

Charms

Combat Skillers : 3
Offensive Skillers : 1
Fire Resist : 31
Cold Resist : 50
Lightning Resist : 64
Poison Resist : 11

I really had to dig through my stash to get this Dante's resistances up. AR of course isn't an issue thanks to ITD, and maximum damage charms wouldn't help all that much. It did seem very silly though seeing all my "good" resistance charms thrown onto him.

Mercenary

Kasim : Act II Nightmare Might

Code:
Vampire Gaze
Grim Helm
Defense: 252
Durability: 23 of 40
Required Strength: 58
Fingerprint: 0x1fede1d9
+100% Enhanced Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 11
Damage Reduced by 15%
Adds 6-22 cold damage over 4 seconds
8% Life stolen per hit
6% Mana stolen per hit
15% Slower Stamina Drain

Duriel's Shell
Great Hauberk
Defense: 1890
Durability: 42 of 150
Required Strength: 108
Fingerprint: 0xbac6d75a
+15 to Strength
+170% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +20%
Lightning Resist +20%
Cold Resist +50%
Poison Resist +20%
+100 Maximum Durability
Required Level +7
Cannot Be Frozen
+100 to Defense (Based on Character Level)
+80 to Life (Based on Character Level)
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Obedience
Thresher
'HelKoThulEthFal'
Two-Hand Damage: 84 to 991
Required Dexterity: 84
Required Strength: 112
Polearm Class - Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xf550e2e3
+10 to Strength
+10 to Dexterity
+370% Enhanced Damage
+200 Defense
All Resistances +26
Adds 3-14 cold damage over 3 seconds
Requirements -20%
40% Faster Hit Recovery
-25% Target Defense
30% Chance to cast Level 21 Enchant When You Kill an Enemy
-25% to Enemy Fire Resistance
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (5: 5 used)

I never did end up pushing through with the Crescent Moon duet, the -ELR would have just gone to waste on Kasim. All in all he only really helped with the LI since he could dish out more physical damage than myself.

Story

Well as usual I started out untwinked. Hit the gas when I got to level 6 with Holy Fire. Slowed down. Second wind with Holy Freeze at 18. Slowed down. Hit a roadblock somewhere near the Jails and threw on Sigons (I don't really know how to twink properly :whistling:). Finally go to 24 where things really got easy. Breezed through most of Normal and Nightmare on /p8 or /p3 with the occasional changing of weapons. Stuck with a Coldsteel Eye for a while to stack the Slow Target with my merc's Woestave.

Very quiet in Hell, the LI and PI fell much quicker than I expected. First encounter with the combined LI/PI was a boss pack of Urdars in Durance. Threw in a few hits, of course to no avail, and fittingly ran for it. No less than two frames later, behold! Another boss pack of Urdars, and what's that? You're LI/PI as well! Oh joy. The point in Vigor was well worth it.

Had a total of 4 deaths IIRC. One was from those angry Wraiths down in the Jails in Normal :)dontknow:), two from IM in Nightmare and one more from running headlong into a crowd full of Extra Strong/Might/Fanatacism something. I punched my screen before I could get a good look.

Notable Finds

NM HF : Sol
Hell HF : Lem

Not much else, he had next to no MF on him, it wasn't his purpose anyways.

Future?

Well I had said before that I was looking to turn Dante into a fully fledged Baal runner, though I'm thinking his gear needs serious optimisation since a /p3 Baal run took three times as long as my BlizzSorc. If I ever find myself with a Lo in hand, I'll definitely make a 'Fortitude' and bring him out again.

Conclusion

My first Mat/Pat write-up, and what a long one. Thanks to TRM, essojay, BFMV, Grisu, Pyrohemia, Jeff and DarkChaos for the helpful tips on his gear options 👍. And of course thanks all for reading, looking forward to writing up more often :).

Originally posted by SMTP on Dec 26, 2005:

Patriarch Django (my first ever mat/pat)

He has beaten Hell Diffy about a week ago making him my first character that has beat Hell.

He is a Level 84 Paladin Teslafroster build.

Name: Django
Stats are:(with items /without items)

Str: 185 / 112
Dex: 202 / 137
Vit: 278 / 246
Ene: 30 / 20

Attack Rating: 2573
Defense: 2037
Defense with Holy Shield: 3333

Total HP: 1161
Total Mana: 293

Resists in Hell:

Fire: 73
Cold: 85
Lightning: 81
Posion: 54

Skills:(with all the +skills added in)

Zeal: 6
Holy Shield: 3
5 skills before these two: 3

Holy Freeze: 25
Holy Shock: 25
Might: 6
Holy Fire: 6

Resist Cold: 24
Resist Lightning: 17
Salvation: 5
Redemption: 5

Equipment:

Griswold's Valor
Corona
Defense: 280
Required Strength: 104
Required Level: 69
+38 to Life
+69% Enhanced Defense
All Resistances +5
Adds 1-74 lightning damage
22% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Requirements -40%
100% Chance to cast Level 41 Nova When You Level Up
+21 to Cold Absorb (Based on Character Level)
+4% to Lightning Skill Damage
-4% to Enemy Lightning Resistance

***Partial Set Item Bonuses***
+2 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
***Partial Set Item Bonuses***

With a PRuby and Lightning Facet in it.

The Mahim-Oak Curio
Amulet
+10 to Strength
+10 to Energy
+10 to Dexterity
+10 to Vitality
+10% Enhanced Defense
+10 Defense
All Resistances +10
10% Bonus to Attack Rating

Griswold's Heart
Ornate Plate
'ThulRalOrt'
Defense: 949
Required Strength: 102
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Fingerprint: 0xe5367881
+20 to Strength
+500 Defense
Fire Resist +30%
Lightning Resist +30%
Cold Resist +30%
Requirements -40%
+2 to Defensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)

String of Ears
Demonhide Sash
Defense: 107
Durability: 22 of 22
+163% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 10
Damage Reduced by 15%
8% Life stolen per hit
+10 Maximum Durability

Tearhaunch
War Boots
Defense: 127
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 125
Required Level: 34
+5 to Strength
+5 to Dexterity
+75% Enhanced Defense
+35 Defense
All Resistances +10
Required Level +5
20% Faster Run/Walk
+2 to Vigor (Paladin Only)

Raven Frost
Ring
+20 to Dexterity
+40 to Mana
+244 to Attack Rating
20% Cold Absorb
Cannot Be Frozen

Scintillating Ring of Protection
Damage Reduced by 2
All Resistances +15

Crescent Moon
Phase Blade
'ShaelUmTir'
One-Hand Damage: 91 to 103
Indestructible
+196% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target Defense
+11 Magic Absorb

Spirit
Django's Kurast Shield
'TalThulOrtAmn'
Defense: 160
Chance to Block: 55%
Smite Damage: 10 to 82
Durability: 53 of 55
Required Strength: 124
+22 to Vitality
+91 to Mana
+250 Defense vs. Missile
Fire Resist +42%
Lightning Resist +77%
Cold Resist +77%
Poison Resist +77%
Attacker Takes Damage of 14
55% Faster Hit Recovery
30% Faster Cast Rate
+2 to All Skill Levels
+3 Magic Absorb

and custom made gloves:
Django's Havoc Grip
Vampirebone Gloves
Defense: 111
Durability: 14 of 14
+1 to Strength
+15 to Life
+69% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +9%
1% Life stolen per hit
23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
7% Chance of Crushing Blow

Attack Damage:

With no Spells: 351-514
With Holy Freeze: 1470-1653
With Holy Shock: 352-4091

Thats about it. I dont think I've forgotten anything...

So what does everyone think? =P

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High