Matriarch Noether, Blade Sentinel/Fury Assassin

snickersnack

Dec 23, 2007
matNoether.png

The Build

I did look at some Blade Fury mat/pat threads, but since Blade Sentinel used to have limited effectiveness due to NHD, I didn't see much about that skill. Blade Shield affects weapon durability, so the builds I saw often didn't use it since they were using ethereal weapons for more damage. The eth weapons I used were either indestructible or self-repairing, so that wasn't a problem.

Blade Sentinel: 20
Blade Fury: 20
Blade Shield: 20
Shadow Warrior: 20
Burst of Speed: 1
Dragon Flight: 1 (helps with positioning since we'll be using Fortitude)
Saved: 9 (not sure what to do with these, maybe BoS?)

Early Levelling

I actually finished this character a few weeks ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy, though I did keep pretty good notes.

I started out using Hsaru's set and then Death's Set. Blade Sentinel is pretty fun to use and it does decent damage early on, especially with Death's set. Other weapons used were a Spirit Broadsword and Bloodletter. Twitchthroe, Duskdeep, and The Ward were used for a while as well. Probably pretty standard twinking for a Fury sin.

One thing that I noticed pretty early is that you can set up your Sentinels at a closed door by casting blindly into the next room, then when you open the door they all burst into the room at the same time. It's highly effective.

Mid Levelling

I also used Butcher's Pupil, Earthshaker, Duriel's Shell, The Spirit Forge, Infernostride, War Traveller's; all pretty standard melee stuff.

I noticed that setting up Sentinels could be a bit clunky unless there was an obvious chokepoint, like a doorway. The Shadow Warrior takes a very simplistic approach to using Sentinels, but she casts it fairly often, so it's effective in larger/longer battles. Sentinels cast by the SW use the assassin's weapon for damage, so the damage output is good even if the placement isn't great. I kept Blade Sentinel on left-click so that the SW would consistently cast it. SW doesn't use Blade Fury, so normal attack was the only other main attack used. I didn't put points into SW until NM was done.

Other gear that cycled on were Treachery, Ravenfrost, Moser's, Lava Gout (which stayed), and Vampire Gaze.

Late Game

At level 57, I switched to Oath in an ethereal Scourge, with CtA on switch. At 62, on went Shako and an upped Moser's. At 63, Fortitude went on, and Highlord's Wrath went on at 65. At 69, I switched to BotD, which was the motivation for the character.

At level 82, I was starting Act 3, and the gear looked like this:

weap: BotD eBA
shield: upped 2pdiamond Moser's
helm: Shako, ptopaz
chest: Fortitude
belt: String of Ears
gloves: Lava Gout
boots: War Traveler's
ammy: Highlord's Wrath
rings: BKWB, Ravenfrost

merc:
weap: The Reaper's Toll, shael,
chest: Treachery Dusk Shroud
helm: Vampire Gaze

My memory on the gameplay loop is a bit fuzzy, but it was basically: run around, when you see a group, set up 2 or 3 long range Sentinels, starting firing Blade Fury, then reposition closer to the merc and SW as needed. Mobs went down pretty easily, even on /p8. A nice feature of Blade Sentinel is that you can cast it around cover and it will hug the wall/obstacle and still usually reach the point that you cast on.

I also tried out a Spirit Monarch instead of Moser's and Arachnid Mesh instead of SoE for the +skills. Blade Sentinel and Fury get a lot of their damage from +skills, so that helped a bit. It's interesting to have a physical damage build that benefits so much from +skills.

Gear upon Baal's death:
weapon: eBotD BA
shield: Spirit
switch: CtA, Spirit
helm: CoA, Ral Ort
chest: Fortitude
belt: Arachnid Mesh
Gloves: Lava Gout
boots: upped Gore Rider
ammy: Highlord's
rings: Raven/Raven
charms: torch, anni, 3 traps, physical sunder, gheed's, AR/life/FRW/FHR

merc:
weap: reaper's toll, shael
chest: Treachery DS
helm: Vampire Gaze (forgot to swap to Andy's)

Weapon Choices

I relied on Ceramic Weasel's guide, so what comes next is not new info.

It turns out that BotD is not the best Blade Fury Weapon for DPS. Even a non-eth Fleshripper does more, so I used that a bit as well. The only drawback is that I then have to get dual leech elsewhere. So while BotD doesn't maximize damage, it's still quite good for other reasons. If I had an ethereal Fleshripper, the difference would be more stark and probably enough to make me not use BotD.

I also tried out an ethereal Lacerator, which was quite good once Amp procced. Other weapons I tried were: Crescent Moon ethereal Ettin Axe, Horizon's Tornado, Rift Cadaceus, Voice of Reason Scourge, Dangoon's Teaching, Shadow Killer, and Earthshaker. None of those had great DPS, but the procs were interesting.

Blade Fury Proccing

I noticed that Poison Nova from BotD procs from the sin and not from the target, which is too bad. It makes sense, but it's still a bit disappointing. This got me thinking and I checked some other weapons to see where they procced.

bladeFuryEarthshaker.png

Fissure on Earthshaker: target
Tornado on Horizon's: character
Frozen Orb on VoR: character
Frost Nova from Dangoon's: target

I don't have any notes on Warshrike or Shadow Killer, so maybe I need to regear and test those as well, but I would expect them to work the same way Dangoon's Teaching does.

Deaths

None, despite doing the whole playthrough on /p8. There were a few NDEs, though. My notes say that a charging Revenant hit me while I was cursed and that I screenshotted it, but I'm not sure which one that is. Oh well. I also had an NDE with /p8 cursed ancients.

Finds

Pul in Act 5 NM
Hellforge was Lum
Boneshade at Diablo
Vex in Act 5 Hell
Fine SC of Vita in Act 5 Hell (1/10/20 meh)

Future Plans

I've already started a physical damage bowzon since I found a Windforce recently. Another melee necro is probably next. That one will synergize Poison Nova and use BotD.

One thing that I noticed pretty early is that you can set up your Sentinels at a closed door by casting blindly into the next room, then when you open the door they all burst into the room at the same time. It's highly effective...
I had never thought of that tactic. Now I'm really looking forward trying out some Blade Sentinel ambushes!

So many games simply stop entertaining me after a few playthroughs. For me, D2 still manages to maintain it's replayability.

The Shadow Warrior takes a very simplistic approach to using Sentinels, but she casts it fairly often, so it's effective in larger/longer battles. Sentinels cast by the SW use the assassin's weapon for damage, so the damage output is good even if the placement isn't great.
I did not know this either! I had always thought that a summoned shadow's blade traps would get the damage of her magic cestus and blade talons, so my previous claims and opinions about Shadow Warriors are now improved.

I noticed that Poison Nova from BotD procs from the sin and not from the target, which is too bad. It makes sense, but it's still a bit disappointing...
I was likewise disappointed earlier this year when I played an eBotD werebear.

Intriguing character, excellent report! Thanks! (y)
Agreed. If you're willing, @snickersnack, would you please add your link to this thread to the stickied SPF Mat/Pat Guardian compendium? This write-up is a treasure.

Reactions: snickersnack
Congratulations on the Matriarch.

How much AR did you have?
I'm curious about your findings on the ctc effects. I'm wondering if it is skill based or item based.

Intriguing character, excellent report! Thanks! (y)
Thanks!
I had never thought of that tactic. Now I'm really looking forward trying out some Blade Sentinel ambushes!

So many games simply stop entertaining me after a few playthroughs. For me, D2 still manages to maintain it's replayability.
Yeah, I especially enjoyed hearing the cries of those dying in the darkness. :devilish:
Agreed. If you're willing, @snickersnack, would you please add your link to this thread to the stickied SPF Mat/Pat Guardian compendium? This write-up is a treasure.
Oh, um, hmmmmm... I haven't done that for any of my recent mat/pats. I guess I just thought there was a mat/pat thread elf who periodically went and added to the list... I'll post there shortly.

Also, this is probably the write up that I put the least effort into recently, so those notes definitely paid off. I'd been putting it off for so long that I just threw it together so it'd be done. Now I kind of wish I'd written it immediately upon matting instead forgetting half of the playthrough. :whistle:
Congratulations on the Matriarch.

How much AR did you have?
I'm curious about your findings on the ctc effects. I'm wondering if it is skill based or item based.

I happen to have a screenshot for that. :)
noetherCTHbaal.png
I'm not sure what you mean about the ctc effects. Do you mean which ones are most useful? For that, damage output seems to trump other considerations. I didn't test Frost Nova much though; that one might actually be worth using for the CC.

Reactions: Swamigoon
Nice pat! And writeup.
I guess I just thought there was a mat/pat thread elf who periodically went and added to the list...
Pb_pal referred to here has not been seen for a while. :(

On the matter of procs: I think maxicek was wondering about the reasons for the proc placement (target/character). If it is due to the skill being procced or based on the item granting the proc.

Nice pat! And writeup.
Thanks!
Pb_pal referred to here has not been seen for a while. :(
:( Hopefully we see them again.
On the matter of procs: I think maxicek was wondering about the reasons for the proc placement (target/character). If it is due to the skill being procced or based on the item granting the proc.
Yes I was :)
Oooh, I see now. Hmmm. I hadn't really checked for that. I think that it's mainly about the skill being procced. Curses always proc on target, as you would expect, and Poison Nove procs on the character, also as you would expect. However, Frost Nova from Dangoon's Teaching procs from the target, which I would not expect. I did some more testing. These are all for Blade Fury:

itemskillprocs oncasts from
EarthshakerFissurestrikingtarget
Horizon's TornadoTornadostrikingcharacter
RiftTornadostrikingcharacter
Carrion WindTwisterstrikingcharacter
Wisp ProjectorLightningstrikingtarget
Voice of ReasonFrozen Orbstrikingcharacter
Voice of ReasonIce Blaststrikingtarget
WarshrikeNovastrikingtarget
Dangoon's TeachingFrost Novastrikingtarget
Shadow KillerFrost Novastrikingtarget
Guardian NagaPoison Novastrikingcharacter
Breath of the DyingPoison Novakillcharacter
The Reaper's TollDecrepifystrikingtarget
Executioner's JusticeDecrepifykilltarget
LaceratorAmplify Damagestrikingtarget

It looks like it is the skill and not the weapon or proc type that determines how the casting occurs. Notably, the two different on striking procs on VoR cast differently. I will add that it was a bit hard to tell with Ice Blast as the cast didn't appear to animate and instead collided with the target immediately, which I took to be casting from the target.

If anyone tests out something else, please add it to the table. :)

Last edited:
Congrats!

Blade Fury sin is in the top 5 "to do" builds after I finish burizon and my first bowazon guardian.

I think the best blade fury weapon is the Death runeword (in an eth ettin axe). BotD's IAS is useless for blade fury and Death adds DS and lots of CB with just a bit less regular damage on average. Its runes are also much easier to obtain, at least on single player. Also, I wouldn't go for +skills gear, but for +CB/DS/etc. stuff. Death + Guillaume's + Gorerider would give you 100% CB. AFAIK, CB is halved because blade fury is probably regarded a missile attack, so even having more than 100% would be useful. As Death has no life leech, a good rare ring with LL, AR and resists would be good (as well as Ravenfrost, of course).

My D2R bladesin is currently using Atma's Scarab, but I haven't played her for some time now, so perhaps it's because I had no Highlord's back then. OTOH, Atma's is very useful with a physical sunder charm. She's also wearing Moser's with pdiamonds, probably to maximize resists. I have a Stormshield in her inventory, so that's probably what I was intending to use instead when her strength score is high enough or when a respec is due. She's not complete (I think she just finished Shenk in hell mode), so what I have said about her might not be the final decision.

Another interesting weapon would be an ethereal Stormlash with a Jah rune for ITD. I actually made a furysin because I found that awesome weapon back in the times when I still played on bnet (which was before D3 came out).

@krischan, I'm such a stickler that I would feel the need to farm up a base from 1.07 if I were to make another Death. I have one in 1.14d, but I don't want to forward it. Also, the build uses Blade Sentinel a lot and I'm pretty sure that the ias will affect the casting speed for that one. Maybe with BoS that doesn't matter, though. Anyway, those are good suggestions for others thinking about trying the build, just not what I have access to now. :)

I also tested out another weapon:
itemskillprocs oncasts from
EarthshakerFissurestrikingtarget
Horizon's TornadoTornadostrikingcharacter
RiftTornadostrikingcharacter
Carrion WindTwisterstrikingcharacter
Wisp ProjectorLightningstrikingtarget
Voice of ReasonFrozen Orbstrikingcharacter
Voice of ReasonIce Blaststrikingtarget
WarshrikeNovastrikingtarget
Dangoon's TeachingFrost Novastrikingtarget
Shadow KillerFrost Novastrikingtarget
Guardian NagaPoison Novastrikingcharacter
Breath of the DyingPoison Novakillcharacter
The Reaper's TollDecrepifystrikingtarget
Executioner's JusticeDecrepifykilltarget
LaceratorAmplify Damagestrikingtarget
Crescent MoonChain Lightningstrikingtarget
Crescent MoonStatic Fieldstrikingtarget

Reactions: Zyr and maxicek
@snickersnack Are you sure that Crescent Moon's ctc static originates from the target? I'm pretty sure it originates from the wielder for Stormlash and it's "on striking" as well. The same question arises regarding Schaefer's Hammer.

@snickersnack Are you sure that Crescent Moon's ctc static originates from the target? I'm pretty sure it originates from the wielder for Stormlash and it's "on striking" as well. The same question arises regarding Schaefer's Hammer.
It was hard to tell, though I'm pretty sure it did. I'll double check. I wonder if some video settings would make it easier to see. Maybe legacy graphics?

@krischan I regeared the character and tested out CM some more, and I'm just not sure. I couldn't really tell where Static procced from just by playing. I'll probably need to plan out some areas that might help visibility, maybe adjust graphics settings, then record the run. Maybe that'll make it clearer. I'll post again once I do that, probably with a link to the recording.

When casting static, the targets have a lightning animation around them until they are down to the minimum that depends on the difficulty.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High