Matriarch LotsaBlades, 100% CB Bladesin (D2R)

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
Matriarch LotsaBlades, 100% CB Bladesin

Level: 87

St – 156 (230)
Dx – 40 (81)
Vt – 309 (367)
En – 25 (46)

HP 1456
Mana 247

Damage and AR (after BA)

Blade Fury: 1930 – 3990 @ 5,616AR
Blade Sentinel: 1655 – 3725 @ 3,325AR

Resists (After Fade):

Fire: 85
Cold: 75
Ltning: 80
Poison: 75

Skills:

Blade Sentinel: 20/31
Blade Fury: 20/31
Blade Shield: 20/31
Fade: 20/34 on switch
Shadow Warrier: 11/25 on switch
Cloak of Shadows: 1/10

1 in Prerequisites

Equipment:

Weapon 1:

“Death” Eth Berserker Axe
“Phoenix” Monarch

Weapon 2:

Mang Song’s Lesson

Guillaume’s Face
“CoH” Dusk Shroud
Steelrend
Gore Rider
Verdungo’s Hearty Cord
Mara’s Kaleidoscope
BKWB & Raven Frost

Bone Break & AsTorch

Merc (Act 2 – BA)

Vampire Gaze
“Treachery” Dusk Shroud
“Shael” Eth The Reaper’s Toll

Random musings:

Six months or so back, I saw that @snickersnack completed a bladesin and I thought I hadn’t made one of those for a while, so I put it on my “to-do” list. Her time has come. Even before I started her, I was tossing up what to do with the remaining dozen or so skill points, venom or shadow warrior. I think I chose the wrong option in the end. With 50% crushing blow on Death and 15% on Gore Rider, I thought that 65% would be good enough but then what the hell, I sacrificed a Harly for Guillaume’s Face to get to 100% CB. After much head-scratching, I decided to go for Steelrend as my gloves for the added percent damage and that gave me another 10% CB, so it ended up being 110% CB.

At some point early in Act 2 Normal, I put Cleglaw’s and the Cow King’s sets on and, other than upping the Long Sword to a Rune Sword at clvl 30 (interestingly GoMule shows the required level as clvl 48), I used the same items until my end game gear became available in the mid-60s. I could have dropped the CK set any time from mid-normal but once I get a thought in my head, I tend to see it through no matter the cost. Even with only the weapon upgraded, Cleglaw’s, with its level increase in both damage and AR, just kept chugging along nicely.

Blade Sentinel is a funny skill; easy to use and hard to master (for me at least). I found that I had difficulty placing the endpoint of the sentinel’s run. Sometimes, especially against stationary targets, I would accidentally click before the target and the sentinel wouldn’t reach it before turning around and coming back. Other times map artifacts would divert it or stop it altogether. Casting it too far beyond the target meant that the sentinel took too long to get back to the target to do more damage. There really was a relatively small sweet spot to getting the best out of the sentinel and that seemed to be both distance and movement dependent. I never really got it quite right. Talking of distance from the target, the slow-ish speed of the sentinel meant that anything over about mid-distance from me was killed by Blade Fury before the sentinel even got there. At times the sentinel would start heading off in a completely different direction from where I clicked before coming back to me and then going where I wanted it to go; strange! It did have some excellent uses though. I could quickly set up a killing field in front of me, and that worked fantastically for slow-moving enemies (like cows) or when they appeared in a given space (like Diablo or Baal’s minions).

In the end, I think that going for the Warrior might have been a mistake. I set Fury as my left mouse button and Sentinel as my right, thinking that the warrior would play a similar style to my character, i.e. attacking long distance. I never once saw the warrior use Fury and the use of Sentinel was sporadic at best and when it was used, they often overrode my carefully placed killing field or up against a barrier so that the sentinels sat there spinning uselessly. She was another target and damage sponge; I suppose there was that. The extra damage of venom probably would have been of more use in the end.

As usual I played /players8 through to Hell difficulty, then /p5 for a while before constant merc deaths made me drop it further to /p3. The gameplay was pretty simple; either CoS or Sentinel monsters at first sight then bombard them with Fury. Bosses never really stood a chance and only the sundered physical immune monsters slowed down my progress. But given the raw damage each blade was doing and the fact that I had 100% CB, I had expected a little better performance from this build especially with Decrepify procing as regularly as it did. A Ber dropped from a random monster in Travincal, so that was good, but the hell forge was crap as usual.

Screenshot168.png

Cool character!
Blade Sentinel is a funny skill; easy to use and hard to master (for me at least). I found that I had difficulty placing the endpoint of the sentinel’s run. Sometimes, especially against stationary targets, I would accidentally click before the target and the sentinel wouldn’t reach it before turning around and coming back. Other times map artifacts would divert it or stop it altogether. Casting it too far beyond the target meant that the sentinel took too long to get back to the target to do more damage. There really was a relatively small sweet spot to getting the best out of the sentinel and that seemed to be both distance and movement dependent. I never really got it quite right. Talking of distance from the target, the slow-ish speed of the sentinel meant that anything over about mid-distance from me was killed by Blade Fury before the sentinel even got there. At times the sentinel would start heading off in a completely different direction from where I clicked before coming back to me and then going where I wanted it to go; strange! It did have some excellent uses though. I could quickly set up a killing field in front of me, and that worked fantastically for slow-moving enemies (like cows) or when they appeared in a given space (like Diablo or Baal’s minions).

In the end, I think that going for the Warrior might have been a mistake. I set Fury as my left mouse button and Sentinel as my right, thinking that the warrior would play a similar style to my character, i.e. attacking long distance. I never once saw the warrior use Fury and the use of Sentinel was sporadic at best and when it was used, they often overrode my carefully placed killing field or up against a barrier so that the sentinels sat there spinning uselessly. She was another target and damage sponge; I suppose there was that. The extra damage of venom probably would have been of more use in the end.
Hmmm, I had BS on left-click and BF on right-click... Is it possible that that makes much difference?

Reactions: TheNix
The timing is perfect. I was trying to decide what to build next after finishing Tisiphone and your two write ups have decided me on a bladesin. It's time for me to do another Assassin as I have only done one and that was a LONG time ago.

I have no idea if it applies to BS, but there are differences in play for some skills that can go on either mouse button. Feral Rage being one of them.

The timing is perfect. I was trying to decide what to build next after finishing Tisiphone and your two write ups have decided me on a bladesin. It's time for me to do another Assassin as I have only done one and that was a LONG time ago.

I have no idea if it applies to BS, but there are differences in play for some skills that can go on either mouse button. Feral Rage being one of them.
Yeah, for melee attacks (Frenzy is the most salient for me), left-click was recently changed in D2R to be more like right-click, but I don't know if they're totally symmetrical now. At the very least, it may be that SW treats them differently.

Blade fury in original D2 is not used by the shadow warrior, is that supposed to be fixed in D2R?

It's an interesting character regardless, the blade skills are very underused.

Reactions: snickersnack
The Amazon Basin says the following about the Shadow Warrior
  • Does not use Claw Mastery or Weapon Block.
  • Can use skills on Assassin's left and right mouse button (although cannot summon Shadow Warrior or Shadow Master, and has not observed using Cobra Strike or Blade Fury). Skill levels are calculated based on Assassin's current skill level when skill is used and Shadow Warrior skill level when summoned.
  • Skill levels of skills used are stored and can provide synergy bonuses to skills used afterwards. Synergy bonus is not restricted to maximum level 20. [6]
  • Skill level stored is that when most recently used.
  • Blade Sentinel continues to use Assassin's attack damage
I scanned through the D2R notes and didn't see anything about SW being fixed. So, I'd say SW can't use BF in D2R either.

The Amazon Basin says the following about the Shadow Warrior
  • Does not use Claw Mastery or Weapon Block.
  • Can use skills on Assassin's left and right mouse button (although cannot summon Shadow Warrior or Shadow Master, and has not observed using Cobra Strike or Blade Fury). Skill levels are calculated based on Assassin's current skill level when skill is used and Shadow Warrior skill level when summoned.
  • Skill levels of skills used are stored and can provide synergy bonuses to skills used afterwards. Synergy bonus is not restricted to maximum level 20. [6]
  • Skill level stored is that when most recently used.
  • Blade Sentinel continues to use Assassin's attack damage
I scanned through the D2R notes and didn't see anything about SW being fixed. So, I'd say SW can't use BF in D2R either.
If I knew about the warrior not using BF, I'd definitely use Venom. One lives and learns.

If I knew about the warrior not using BF, I'd definitely use Venom. One lives and learns.
I for one would be very interested in seeing how the warrior works with such a huge fade skill, but she would probably have to be maxed for it to have a decent chance.

However, wouldn't the processed venom from Treachery have been more powerful? With all the blades from blade fury it should trigger rapidly and then the piccolo...ahem, trusty mercenary, could return the dusk shroud.

Maybe a shadow master would mind blast enough to be an asset even with just one skill point.

@TheNix As I said earlier, I have only played an Assassin once before (2003/4) and need to learn about her skills before I get too far in. As a result, besides devouring your and Snickersnack's writeups I've also read through Ceramic Weasel's Analysis and the answer is also no to Venom.

According to Ceramic Weasel's write up:
Venom is supposed to be reduced by the 3/4 penalty along with all other elemental damage. In short, it is.

Testing it was tricky, since it's duration is 10 frames (0.4 seconds) and BF hits at a rate of 6 frames, so I had to calculate how much damage the first blade would do before the second hits and reapplies the poison. But because the damage is so regular, the results varied by only 0.8 from the expected damage. I won't bother listing the results in detail, since they're incredibly boring.

Blade Fury counts as a ranged attack, so the bonus from Poison Mastery (Trang-Oul's Claws) is only applied once. Generally speaking, Venom is a weak investment for a Furysin. On successive hits, only 6 frames of poison out of 10 will be applied, and this is then further reduced by the 3/4 penalty such that Venom will typically deal only 45% of it's listed damage (even less for 2H weapons, discussed later).

I also tested elemental and magic damage from other sources (weapon, charms, equipment, etc) and found the same 3/4 penalty applies to these as well.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High