Matriarch Kelthra, the "Almost" Zon

Crudesash

Feb 19, 2021
Good evening friends. Here I humbly introduce my 3rd character to take down Baal; Kelthra, an FA/Strafe zon. She is the "Almost" zon because in fairly rapid succession, she went from almost "Fauxdian", to almost Single Pass, to almost untwinked. What began as a really fun class to play devolved into a really frustrating and disappointing slog in Act V hell, but I did learn a few lessons along the way, so it wasn't a complete loss.

After taking a Barb and Sorc through the game, I wanted to play a class I hadn't yet finished the game with, and my highest level Zon back in the old days met her death in Act 1 Hell, and I never got around to making another one. Much like the Sorc, the game was a breeze in Normal/NM; the Valk is a tremendous tank, and when combined with the Merc, I was largely ignored by mobs. Freezing Arrow obliterated almost everything in its path, and I climbed the ladder using "Edge"; starting with it in a Cedar Bow, then in a Blade Bow, and finally a Spider Bow. It is an obnoxiously good item, but there are some hindrances, like the lack of weapon ED.

Unlike my other characters, the Zon suffered no huge drags in early Hell, even playing at P3 for a bit; mobs, packs, bosses were all fairly easy; although Diablo provided an interesting challenge; he was at low health, and trapped me in a bone prison; I was about to suffer my first death, when he just died. Was it from the +15 Thorns aura Edge provided? I do not know but the pride I felt in having no deaths through that point would prove to be short-lived.

Act V started out tough; lots of archers proved a challenge, and as I am a dummy who did not utilize Dim Vision, I adopted a rudimentary flanking strategy using the decoy to bait the arrows while I came in with broadsides behind the Merc & Valk. This proved to be efficient enough, but the dream of the Fauxdian died in the Frigid Highlands; caught between 2 packs of archers, I died trying to rescue my 2nd set of Barbarians.

While dismayed, I still intended to go untwinked Single Pass. But the mobs were really becoming harder to handle, especially CI's; Edge was no friend to Strafe, and I really wanted to get to a point where I could be confident taking on packs, so I started doing some rerunning. Very little, maybe 15-20 total runs through the Pit, AT, Andy, LK...which yielded nothing. In essence it was a single pass character, but I did try to find better gear.

Getting through the areas proved to be tough; I died to Nihlathak (first time I ever recall this happening), because I wasn't wearing my Nature's Peace. 2nd time was easier with it on. The areas leading up to the Ancients were becoming extremely difficult; meeting death in the Drifter Cavern twice, before I let go of the last part of the equation, and added Harmony to my arsenal. It was a gift from my son, and I had thought to use it post-Baal, but I am glad I gave in and used it, because I would not have got past our friendly mountain climbers without it.

The Ancients...oi. I died about 4-5 times up there, too slow to cast a TP, and doing way too little damage. But I noticed that the merc and Valk didn't hold aggro all that well with them, and then I decided to twink some more, giving my merc the gear my sorc's was using. This proved to be a good idea, because I one shot them after that, the open wounds from Meatscraper proving to be crucial in getting Madawc down first. The killing fight lasted well over 10 minutes, and a few earlier tries were quite lengthy as well. But this did not prepare me for...

Baal. I died once during my Baal kill, and I am fairly certain this was the first time I have ever died to Baal. Even with Harmony, I could not do enough damage to Baal to make an impact, and his slow attack made me walk in jello...but it would have been less lengthy if I'd remembered to wear my ring with half freeze duration, instead of...Nature's Peace (notice a trend?) I finally found a few sweet spots where I could fire at will and eventually, Baal bit the big one...and dropped 3 garbo rares, but he did drop an Essence, and now I can make a reset token, if I need one.

In review, as I said n the intro, the build was frustrating. Plagued by poor drops and slow play, Hell was not as much fun as you'd have assumed from how easy NM was. In hindsight, a staff with Static Field charges would have been a big help, so I'll start shopping for those with my next character along with my now mandatory life tap wand.

So what is up next? I may try a Fire Bear/Wolf, a Fishymancer, or a Blessed Hammer Paladin. Eventually I'll try an assassin as well, but that might not be until D2R; it took me two months to mat the zon, and I'm guessing I'll be able to get two chars through to the end before the remaster goes live.

Many thanks for reading, and stats/gear are as follows:

End game stats (regular/geared), Level 85
STR 109/109
Dex 152/166
Vita 239/239
Energy 15/15
Life 1127
Mana 273
Resists: 75/33/64/20

Skills:
20/26 Freezing Arrow
20/26 Strafe
20/26 Cold Arrow (synergy for FA)
13/18 Valk
3/6 Deadly Strike
4/7 Penetrate
3/6 Pierce
The rest in prereqs

Gear
"Harmony" +3 Grand Matron Bow, 243% ED, +3 to Valk
Skin of the Vipermagi, 11 MDR, 26 Resist All
Rare Coronet: +1 to Zon skills, 48% ED to Demons, +40 Life, socketed by Larzuk, Ort in the socket
Rare Ammy, 8 Mana Leech, +22 life, +74 Mana, 22 FR, 32 PR
Laying of Hands
Sigons Belt (181 defense at 85)
Sigons Boots
Rare Ring 1: 58 Mana, 11 CR, 12 LR
Rare Ring 2: 88 AR, +16 Life, 15 FR, 20 PR, 1/2 Freeze duration
Natures Peace used where it makes sense (and as mentioned above, one time where it didn't)
Fletchers Grand Charm (+1 to Bowskills)
Various Resist charms

Merc:
Rockstopper
Shaftstop
Eth upped Meat Scraper, 115-596, 175% ED, 10% LL

This gear was borrowed from the Sorc's merc; up until the Ancients, he used an Insight Partizan, Gris Armor w/ 3 PTopaz, and Tal's Mask (quite underrated!)

Finds: Nature's Peace (Pindle's garden), Mal Rune (Hellforge)...and that is really all.

Edit: An egregious amount of typos.

Last edited:
Congrats on the character and getting Act V done in the end!

I also thought I'd better mention that there aren't staves with Static Field charges. Here's the Arreat Summit's list of possible charged items.

I think what you might have wanted in lieu of Static Field would have been some Crushing Blow. The Crushing Blow would have a really similar effect to Static Field and probably would have made your battle against Baal quite a bit quicker. Swapping Sigon's boots for Golbin Toe's (at least at the bosses) would probably be the cheapest/easiest route. (That would give you a quick 25% Crushing Blow).

Past that I just wanted to say: What's up with the 'what is up next'? Surely you meant say: Play my Three-Legged Race Tournament characters :p .

Okay, kidding aside. I enjoyed the write-up and look forward to seeing what you do next!

Reactions: Crudesash
Thanks Han. Good to know SF can't spawn as a charge, I guess it would be too op, like Decrepify. Yes, CB would have been a huge help...had I the patience to farm items. I think the relative ease in which I cruised through the game up to Act V made me less interested in item farming, but once I gave up on the single pass dream, it might have made that act easier if I had devoted more time to beefing up. I did try crafting quite a few items in NM, striking out on all of them, and I guess I gave up on that aspect, but a few blood glove crafts might have yielded something; I actually crafted a beautiful set of gloves that came with...+2 to Javelin skills :confused:

As for the tournament...I am having fun with that challenge, even though I started my chars in the wrong trees, but I kind of want to speed level (speedy for me, at any rate) a character and use a few of the items I've picked up since I started back up; the Jalal's Mane is calling to me to raise my first Druid to Pat status, and although I have heard that Fire Bears have some limitations (bugs?) in Hell, I have a few interesting items that might compliment that build. I think if I can see a path where I can gear out a character who can really dish it out in Hell, it might cleanse my palate.

But, I have learned something playing the game again....I really, really like playing untwinked, to the point that even a little bit of help from outside that particular character's journey hollows the experience. I still have a goal of an untwinked single pass character, but I think I'd really need to develop the patience to do full clears in areas I am not crazy about, like the sewers in A3, the outdoor Act V areas, etc. Plus as I am seeing in the 3LT, I really could use more MF. None of my three Mat/Pats had it in abundance, and the Barb & Sorc were ideal for MF runs. So we'll see what the future holds. We've only got about 6-8 weeks to D2R beta, and I'll be throwing myself in there, although I may just play through Normal to see the whole game in its new-fangled glory, and then attempt a stab at patience until launch.

Excellent post, Crudesash68! Did you really max the freeze-length synergy Ice Arrow, or was that a mistype and you actually maxed the damage synergy Cold Arrow?

Excellent post, Crudesash68! Did you really max the freeze-length synergy Ice Arrow, or was that a mistype and you actually maxed the damage synergy Cold Arrow?
Good catch, it was Cold arrow, for max damage.

And, I should have mentioned in regards to twinking, the Harmony was the only piece that was not self found, except for the Merc's gear.

Which should be obvious considering my end game Belt/Boots :rolleyes:

Reactions: Kartongen
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High