Matriarch HerPointyStick, Spearazon (D2R)

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
Matriarch HerPointyStick, Spearazon

Lister: Oh Smeg! It’s the TV weather girl from channel 27!
Rimmer: Get inside now!
Lister: You can’t see what she’s doing with her pointy stick!

Level: 86

St – 94 (163)
Dx – 114 (163)
Vt – 297 (316)
En – 15 (34)

HP 1355
Mana 340

Damage and AR (With Might & Enchant)

Jab: 1973 – 2993 @ 10,798AR
Fend: 3001 – 4543 @ 11,541AR

Resists:

Fire: 75
Cold: 75
Ltning: 75
Poison: 75

Skills:

Jab: 20/37
Fend: 20/37
Valkyrie: 20/35 on switch
Penetrate: 20/30
Impale: 1/18
D/A/E: 4/14
Critical Strike 1/11

Equipment:

Weapon 1:

“Obedience” Matriarchal Spear (+3)

Weapon 2:

Mang Song’s Lesson

Harlequin Crest with Rusty Jewel of Fervour
“CoH” Dusk Shroud
Rare Vampirebone Gloves (+2J&S & 20%IAS)
Gore Rider
Nosferatu’s Coil
Mara’s Kaleidoscope
BKWB & Manald Heal

Bone Break & ATorch

Merc (Act 2 – Might)

Vampire Gaze
“Treachery” Dusk Shroud
“Shael” The Reaper’s Toll

Random musings:

It’s an Amazon all right, but not the explosive arrow one I’ve had rattling around in my head for weeks now. Why might you ask? I’ve been hunting for +2 Bow +20%IAS gloves for some time now and what should I find but a +2S&J +20%IAS one instead; so, what’s a boy to do? I have never made a Spearazon before and with the recent fixes to D/A/E I thought I’d give one a go. Not knowing whether she was going to be my cup of tea, I didn’t want to waste too many resources on it and Obedience looked nice and cheap, so what the hell.

The build went well from the beginning making use of a Trident loaded up with a couple of Envy jewels. I then used a superior (+15%ED) +3 Matriarchal Pike with four Carnage jewels locked in until I reached the level that I could equip my Obedience Matriarchal spear. The Pike was slow but effective enough, the Spear was a huge upgrade in both speed and damage though. After maxing Jab, Fend and Penetrate, I thought about putting some points into Impale, but the weapon was already slow enough as it was and Impale would have been painful. I thought about D/A/E or Critical Strike, but the diminishing returns of those skills are incredible, so a Valkyrie it ended up being.

The general gameplay was alright, but no way near as smooth as a Zealot; perhaps a faster weapon would put the two characters closer together though. There were times that Fend crapped out and I simply stopped attacking. In order to start again, I had to click away from the action and click back. I have never noticed that behaviour in a Zealot. It didn’t happen often, but it was something that I had to keep on eye on when I was swarmed. I alternated between Jab and Fend a bit, but generally, I used Fend for general play and Jab for bosses.

I played /players8 all the way to Hell difficulty, then /players3 until I got to Act 5, and then I dropped it down to /players1. It’s not that she couldn’t cope at /players3, but I had run out of patience, and I just wanted her finished. She did die a couple of times but they were all my fault (I’ll just use the fat purple on my merc then I’ll….. Oh!). So she played well enough, better than many I have played over the years, but she never really jelled with me. I guess she wasn’t my cup of tea after all.

Screenshot160.png

Nice Mat. I’ve thought off and on about making a Spearzon… not sure when I’ll get around to it… but someday..! I’m not convinced it will be a very fun character to play though :-/

Reactions: TheNix
Nice Mat. I’ve thought off and on about making a Spearzon… not sure when I’ll get around to it… but someday..! I’m not convinced it will be a very fun character to play though :-/
Ta. There was nothing wrong with the build, it just didn't seem to suit me I suppose.

Reactions: little birdy
Spearzon has always been my dream and i thought that d2r would make it a reality.

However if i recall correctly, the 'fix' for fend was not to make it ignore interruptions from D/A/E but just to make it animate much faster so that yhe likelihood of the bug occurring is lower (did someone say lazy??). Not only that, they publicly denied that the main issue behind it, the 'next hit always miss bug,' is even a bug!!!!

Ultimately fend is poorly designed though in that it attacks each enemy once and will only increase in effectiveness according to the number of enemies within range. This is just not an effective way of producing damage.

Jab and impale aren't fun enough to compensate, so that leaves the weird spear skill power strike and op charged strike which already works perfectly...

Perhaps one day my dear spearzon...!

Reactions: TheNix
Ultimately fend is poorly designed though in that it attacks each enemy once and will only increase in effectiveness according to the number of enemies within range. This is just not an effective way of producing damage.
And that means that you tend to want to get yourself swarmed and that can be dangerous in itself. Why are the mechanics of Zeal and Fend so similar yet so different?

Spearzon has always been my dream and i thought that d2r would make it a reality.

However if i recall correctly, the 'fix' for fend was not to make it ignore interruptions from D/A/E but just to make it animate much faster so that yhe likelihood of the bug occurring is lower (did someone say lazy??). Not only that, they publicly denied that the main issue behind it, the 'next hit always miss bug,' is even a bug!!!!

Jab and impale aren't fun enough to compensate, so that leaves the weird spear skill power strike and op charged strike which already works perfectly...

Perhaps one day my dear spearzon...!

Dodge

• The animation can now be interrupted and will no longer lock out the Amazon from performing other actions

Avoid

• The animation can now be interrupted and will no longer lock out the Amazon from performing other actions

As for the NHAM bug, IIRC the problem was the server wasn't correctly communicating to the client that you were interrupted during your attack and thus clientside you continued to "attack" and miss, but serverside you never attacked at all because you were interrupted. AFAIK they fixed it so now you're properly interrupted clientside so you don't "attack" when you can't actually do so.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High