Matriarch Halitosis – Inferno / Fire Wall Sorceress (D2R)

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
Matriarch Halitosis – Inferno / Fire Wall Sorceress

Level: 86

St – 156 (200)
Dx – 35 (89)
Vt – 294 (340)
En – 35 (59)

HP: 1028
Mana: 608

Resists:

Fire: 80 [with Resist Fire Aura]
Cold: 75
Ltning: 75
Poison: 75

Skills:

Inferno: 20 (40)
Fire Wall: 20 (40)
Warmth: 20 (40)
Fire Mastery: 20 (40)
Frozen Armour: 7 (21)
Static Field: 7 (21)

Prerequisites

Blaze, Telekinesis & Teleport: 1

Damage:

Inferno: 8,759 – 9,235
Fire Wall: 26,220 – 26,409

Equipment:

Weapon 1:

“HotO” Flail
“Spirit” Monarch shield

Weapon 2:

Nada

“Flickering Flame” Great Helm [ +6 Fire Resist Aura, -15 Fire Resist]
“CoH” Dusk Shroud
Magefist
Silkweave
Arachnid Mesh
Mara’s Kaleidoscope
BKWB & Raven Frost
Fire Sunder and STorch

Merc (Act 2 – Prayer)

Rockstopper
Shaftstop
“Infinity” Superior [+12%ED] Thresher [+319% ED, -55%LR]

Random musings:

This was a build in two halves. The first half from the start until toward the end of Nightmare was the Inferno half and the remaining gameplay was the Fire Wall half. I started by Maxing Inferno and its synergies and putting only one point in Fire Wall. This system worked really well right from the beginning and really took off when I was able to equip a “Spirit” sword and put an “Insight” polearm on my merc. Inferno is a weird skill to use, it is easily interrupted by pretty much everything and that includes mousing over items on the ground. These interruptions became so annoying that I had to change the Show Items setting from Toggle to Hold, which helped enormously. Casting Frozen Armour or Static Field created a bit of an interruption, but Fire Wall really seemed to break the flow, hell, even rotating in place sometimes caused it to briefly stop. Inferno also had a number of other quirks that made it a little clunky. The first, and worst, being the slow speed of the flame. Being a caster, you don’t want to get too up and personal with your target and its fantastic length meant you didn’t have too, but the jet of flame seemed to take forever to get anywhere. The second little quirk is the narrowness of the jet. If you are off target by a half a pixel the jet would just sail past the monster (or between them) leaving them unharmed. This is definitely a case where I would sacrifice a bit of length for more girth. These things being said, Inferno burned through everything like a charm until I started to drop hard points into Fire Wall.

And thus begins the second half of the build. The addition of “Infinity” coincided with the pumping up of Fire Wall and they complemented each other to a tee. There was a while where I would cast Fire Wall and during the cooldown, I would let an Inferno rip, but I soon came to learn that a tap or two of Static Field was a much more efficient use of my Fire Wall’s downtime; unbreakable LI being the exception. For the back half of the game the routine was Fire Wall, Static, Teleport, rinse and repeat. Of course, all that teleporting led me to my only death of the character when I teleported directly in front of two packs of skeleton archers and was dead before I had a chance to react. The casting delay on the Fire Wall (1.2s, I think) was a little annoying but hardly impacted the gameplay or survivability of the build.

All in all, this was a great build and I enjoyed it a lot, especially when I got the hang of casting the Fire Wall around corners.

Screenshot104.png

Congratulations on the Matriarch.

I'm surprised they didn't fix the Inferno width problem. Funny how there are problems since since the game was introduced that they ignore, but "fix" things they don't need to.

You missed the chance to try the Firewall in the early patches with zero cooldown.

Congratulations on the Matriarch.

I'm surprised they didn't fix the Inferno width problem. Funny how there are problems since since the game was introduced that they ignore, but "fix" things they don't need to.

You missed the chance to try the Firewall in the early patches with zero cooldown.
Thanks. The Fire Wall felt a little "skinny" too but nowhere near as bad as Inferno. When was it that Fire Wall had no cooldown?

I think the first D2R patch maybe? At that point people were running Ubers with Firewall, but it wasn’t around for long.

Reactions: TheNix
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High