Matriarch Calpurnia, Classic Blizballer (D2R)

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
Matriarch Calpurnia, Classic Blizballer

She was going to be another Roman-themed build and I was going to write a story about how, after Julius Caesar’s death, Calpurnia was so deep in grief that she cried tears of ice and so angry that she spat fire, but I couldn’t be bothered. So there!

Level: 87

St – 53 (55)
Dx – 170 (197)
Vt – 257 (281)
En – 40 (46)

HP 969
Mana 587

Fireball: 2770 – 3021
Bliz: 2215 – 2337
G.Spike: 394 – 419

Resists:

Fire: 75
Cold: 75
Ltning: 75
Poison: 75

Skills:

Fireball: 20/30
Fire Bolt: 20/30
Bliz: 20/29
G. Spike: 20/29
C. Mastery 8/17
F. Mastery: 1/11
Warmth: 1/11

Ice Blast, Ice Bolt, Frost Nova, Frozen Armour: 1/10
Telekinesis, Teleport, Static Field: 1/9

Equipment:

Weapon 1:

“Spirit” Broad Sword
Moser’s Blessed Circle w/ 2 pdiamonds

Weapon 2:

Rare Grim Wand w/ Level 1 Lower Resists charges
Moser’s Blessed Circle w/ 2 pdiamonds

“Um” Harlequin Crest
Skin of the Vipermagi
Magefist
Rare Sharkskin Boots (resists, FRW & FHR)
Arachnid Mesh
Tal Rasha’s Adjucation
Raven Frost & Rare ring w/ FCR, Mana and Energy

Merc (Act 2 – Holy Freeze)

Guillaume’s Face
“Duress” Dusk Shroud
“Insight” Eth Thresher

Random musings:

This was a character of compromises. I thought I had Pul for a HotO, I really thought I had one, but I didn’t, so I had to make do with an underwhelming Spirit (I could have made a better one, but I couldn’t be bothered). I didn’t really have enough resistances, so I had to make do with the double diamond Moser’s. Moser’s has such a low block rate that I had to give up trying to get 75% block; even 67% wasn’t possible, so I settled for 60% block. There were times during Nightmare, when I was chugging so many potions and spending so much money resurrecting my merc, that I felt as if I should respec her into something else. All that being said, I went through the game without dying once; in fact, I never even had a close call.

Blizz, Spike, Fireball, rinse and repeat was the order of the day. Anything cold immune, Static (if in range) and Fireball. Anything fire immune, Static (if in range) and Blizz and Spike. Anything both cold and fire immune, Static (if in range) and let the merc do his thing while using TK to keep it off balance. I saved the LR charges for the big super-uniques and bosses where it did the most good. So game play was not what one would call challenging.

Other than my merc having an obvious death wish (why does he insist on charging into massed missile and magic fire?!) and the not insignificant speedbumps while levelling (specifically early to mid Normal and again in mid Nightmare), she picked her way through the back half of the game with considerable aplomb. And finding two Guls, one in Act 5 nightmare and the other from the hellforge, didn't hurt either.

Screenshot040.png

Enjoyed write-up! Blizzballers have a special place in my heart as the first build I ever took through D2, and they work pretty well even with non-ideal gear.

I also like the backstory you didn't write. :) Fun concept.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High