Matriarch Bowlette, WWS Strafer (Exceptional Sept)

maareek

May 12, 2007
I had originally expected to do a javazon here, but I haven’t found a pair of Titan’s since my restart and I was itching to get going so meh. Had never played a bowazon before (the Vengeance Zon was my only one of the class, in fact) so I definitely found the playthrough interesting.

[highlight]The Character[/highlight]
Code:
Name:  Bowlette
Class:  Amazon
Level:  84

Strength:    65
Dexterity:  410 (459)
Vitality:    20

Resists:
Fire:       45
Cold:       60
Lightning:  86 (75)
Poison:      8

HP:    276 (467)
AR:  11771
FHR:    10
IAS:    65

Strafe damage, with Might: 261-698
Guided Arrow damage, with Might: 336-892
Multiple Shot damage, with Might: 237-625

Total time to reach Matriarch: 30 hours, 25 minutes and 8 seconds. I would assume ~5 hours or so of that was fighting act bosses.

Skills:
Code:
Strafe, Penetrate: 20
Decoy: 19 (22)
Guided Arrow: 13
Pierce: 9
Critical Strike, Multiple Shot: 5

Level 22 maxes out the decoy’s resistances. More points in critical strike would provide a very marginal benefit (at 90% chance to double damage already).

Gear:
Code:
Witchwild String
Short Siege Bow
Two Hand Damage: 33 - 76
Durability: 33 of 40
Required Level: 39
Required Strength: 65
Required Dexterity: 80
Fingerprint: 0xc050a74f
Item Level: 87
Version: Expansion 1.10+
2% Chance to cast level 5 Amplify Damage on striking
+40% Increased Attack Speed
Fires Magic Arrows
154% Enhanced Damage
84% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)
All Resistances +40
2 Sockets (2 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune
Socketed: Shael Rune

Stealskull
Casque
Defense: 222
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Level: 35
Required Strength: 59
Fingerprint: 0x32df5fe2
Item Level: 88
+25% Increased Attack Speed
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
5% Mana stolen per hit
5% Life stolen per hit
+205% Enhanced Defense
46% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Jewel of Fervor

Angelic Wings
Amulet
Required Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0x4d255d0e
20% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
+3 to Light Radius
Set (2 items): +75 to Life
Set (3 items): +1 to All Skills
(2 items): +10 to Dexterity

Boneflesh
Plate Mail
Defense: 251
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Level: 26
Fingerprint: 0xb87d0c85
+35 to Attack Rating
5% Life stolen per hit
25% Chance of Open Wounds
+115% Enhanced Defense
Lightning Resist +30%
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Ort Rune

Angelic Halo
Ring
Required Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0x612d350
Item Level: 61
+20 to Life
Replenish Life +6
Set (2 items): +1008 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)
Set (3 items): 50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
(2 items): +10 to Dexterity

Raven Frost
Ring
Required Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0x3f4393f1
Item Level: 85
+221 to Attack Rating
Adds 15 - 45 Cold Damage Over 4 Secs (100 Frames)
+20 to Dexterity
+40 to Mana
Cold Absorb 20%
Cannot Be Frozen

Razortail
Sharkskin Belt
Defense: 104
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 32
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0xe77cac3b
Piercing Attack
+10 to Maximum Damage
+143% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
+15 to Dexterity
Attacker Takes Damage of (Based on Character Level) 84

Natalya's Soul
Mesh Boots
Defense: 134
Durability: 66 of 116
Required Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0x39b36fcb
+40% Faster Run/Walk
+97 Defense
Heal Stamina Plus (Based on Character Level) +21%
Cold Resist +25%
Lightning Resist +21%
+50 Maximum Durability

Cleglaw's Pincers
Chain Gloves
Defense: 9
Durability: 16 of 16
Required Level: 4
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0x4d134eee
Slows Target by 25%
Knockback
Set (2 items): +840 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)

Spirit (on switch)
Broad Sword
TalThulOrtAmn
One Hand Damage: 7 - 14
Durability: 32 of 32
Required Level: 25
Required Strength: 48
Fingerprint: 0xb2c78034
Item Level: 80
+2 to All Skills
+32% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
Adds 1 - 50 Lightning Damage
Adds 3 - 14 Cold Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)
Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
7% Life stolen per hit
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+22 to Vitality
+93 to Mana
+8 Magic Absorb
4 Sockets (4 used)

Lidless Wall (on switch)
Grim Shield
Defense: 312
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 70 of 70
Required Level: 41
Required Strength: 58
Fingerprint: 0xdcd2c075
+1 to All Skills
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+107% Enhanced Defense
+10 to Energy
Increase Maximum Mana 10%
+3 to Mana after each Kill
+1 to Light Radius

Charms:
Code:
Shimmering Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Required Level: 27
Fingerprint: 0xd229a880
All Resistances +14

Fine Small Charm of Anthrax
Small Charm
Required Level: 36
Fingerprint: 0xaa2505a7
+1 to Maximum Damage
+18 to Attack Rating
Adds 50 Poison Damage Over 6 Secs (150 Frames)

Iron Small Charm of Sustenance
Small Charm
Required Level: 31
Fingerprint: 0xf420ad78
+24 to Attack Rating
+14 to Life

Emerald Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xe3f7eeae
Item Level: 63
+17 to Life
Poison Resist +11%

Shimmering Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Required Level: 27
Fingerprint: 0x1acc77bc
All Resistances +13

Ruby Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Required Level: 22
Fingerprint: 0xd264290a
Fire Resist +30%

Garnet Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x30c547a7
+18 to Life
Fire Resist +8%

Amber Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0xf526be2e
+27 to Life
Lightning Resist +28%

Amber Small Charm of Shock
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xbb415646
Adds 1 - 3 Lightning Damage
Lightning Resist +10%

Cobalt Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x2c4a747e
+20 to Life
Cold Resist +9%

Cobalt Small Charm
Small Charm
Required Level: 20
Fingerprint: 0xf75d2e46
Item Level: 79
Cold Resist +9%

Ruby Small Charm
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x89643c2a
Fire Resist +10%

Sapphire Small Charm
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xa9022160
Cold Resist +11%

Cobalt Small Charm
Small Charm
Required Level: 20
Fingerprint: 0xda40df14
Cold Resist +9%

Sharp Grand Charm of Dexterity
Grand Charm
Required Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0x6e89899a
Item Level: 64
+10 to Maximum Damage
+51 to Attack Rating
+4 to Dexterity

Razan, level 84 Might merc
Code:
Duriel's Shell
Cuirass
Defense: 661
Durability: 38 of 150
Required Level: 41
Fingerprint: 0x5d039965
Item Level: 86
+174% Enhanced Defense
+105 Defense (Based on Character Level)
+15 to Strength
+84 to Life (Based on Character Level)
Cold Resist +30%
All Resistances +20
Cannot Be Frozen
+100 Maximum Durability

Undead Crown
Crown
Defense: 113
Durability: 38 of 50
Required Level: 29
Required Strength: 55
Fingerprint: 0xd8e35535
+50% Damage to Undead
+100 to Attack Rating against Undead
5% Life stolen per hit
+3 to Skeleton Mastery (Necromancer Only)
+59% Enhanced Defense
+40 Defense
Poison Resist +50%
Half Freeze Duration

Kelpie Snare
Fuscina
Two Hand Damage: 104 - 195
Durability: 18 of 18
Required Level: 33
Required Strength: 67
Required Dexterity: 15
Fingerprint: 0x98592aea
165% Enhanced Damage
Adds 30 - 50 Damage
Slows Target by 75%
+10 to Strength
+105 to Life (Based on Character Level)
Fire Resist +50%
Ethereal

[highlight]Playthrough[/highlight]
Twinking gear :
Full Arctic + Hsarus boots. Vidala’s boots and ammy when available. Full Iratha’s, Twitchthroe and treads. Wizendraw at level 26. No early S/U bows compare with just twinking something up, but that’s not exactly news. But then you hit Skystrike, and the world is full of rainbows, unicorns, and explosive falling rocks of death. It’s a good thing.

Did p8 until Hell. Normal Bremm and Mephisto each took forever, hadn't gotten Skystrike yet, but rest of the difficulty was easy enough. Did wave (no Baal) runs until exp slowed down. Moved on to NM at 54.

NM Frozen River had snakes + skeleton casters + gloams. NM Ancient Way had a pack of cursed/magic resistant frenzytaurs very close to the entrance. They tore through the merc and decoy once, but a quick trip back up the stairs and into town let us come back down and finish them off. NM Ancients were EF, CE and LE. No real danger, but took awhile. WSK level 2 had gloams, guardians and skeletons. Finished NM at level 73 and proceeded on to Hell, no extra runs.

Ran the Pits from level 73 to 81, mostly at p5 as p7 was just too slow. Note that p5 was only tolerable, itself. Leveling took 4 hours, then I proceeded onward at p1.

Flayer Dungeon level 2 included such hits as a corner with 2 unique flayer shamen and a unique doll pack and a hallway opening into a room with 2 more doll bosspacks. Pewpew that pricelss porcelain. When walking in to said room I tripped a single doll that ran around my decoy and follwed me back into the hallway. I attempted to display the impressive micro of running through the opposite doorway and dropping a decoy behind me, blocking in the poor doll. Instead I trapped myself in the hallway with him, with the merc closing in quickly. Knockback is pretty good, though. All skill; no luck.

Bremm (fanat/CE/stuff) and co were at the doorway along with a champ pack of vampires and chased me back to almost the stairs. Seeing things weren’t going to work out as I wanted I pulled a Barry Sanders right through their midst (and by that I mean led them all to one side then sprinted, screaming, around the other wall) and off to the other side of the room, separating them enough to whittle them down. Meph did peg me with one ice ball, but was otherwise tame.

Hephasto was PI. Tame otherwise, but took a long time to bring down. Had to go back to town once for blues against Diablo.

Frigid Highlands had slingers, rogues and imps. Frozen River was shambling dead, snakes and skelly mages. First try on the ancients the merc died right off. Tried to finish solo but Stone Skin thrower took whole quiver of arrows and then couldn’t separate Extra Fast whirler from the leaper so rerolled. Managed to separate the thrower and pin him in a corner with the merc. ES/EF whirler got stuck on decoys while I tanked the leaper (port/LE). Much better.

Three steps into WSK level 2 I went to no red showing on health. Gloams. Danced around, cleared out that room, then got shot at by a champ pack of snakes. A little more juking and they went down as well. Threw a decoy down one of the corridors and ate some more lightning for the trouble. Another unique, and he came out to play, bringing along his little conviction aura to the party. Level 3 also held a welcoming party: a Conviction/LE Frenzytaur pack. Gosh, Baal, you didn’t have to go all out, I’d have been happy with random affix boars or the like. They convinced the merc to take a nap in short order, but the zon steeled herself against the somniferous swirl of spark and spray. Knockback, you da real MVP. No issues with the waves. Baal took half of forever (which is now defined as roughly 20 minutes.)

Thoughts: The damage was fine, considering, and the pace was just fine at p1 throughout the first 3 acts of Hell and against non-physical resistant monsters past that point. Bosses sucked all game, but that’s not exactly news with a bowazon. The merc’s ridiculous squishyness irked me – and earned him the new title “Sir Squishy von Squisherson” – but flows mostly from the gear limitations. Any CB at all between the two of us would’ve made bosses roughly eleventy bajillion times easier, obviously, but that just wasn’t really in the cards. Except for Baal (on all difficulties) it wasn’t really bad.

Deaths: Yeah, two. First one in Hell Barracks, I opened a door, saw a group of rogues so I threw down a decoy, stepped back aways and started strafing. I didn’t even realize there was a unique in the mass and was standing on the inner edge of the CE explosion’s radius. Instagib. Muled on the plain res charms after that death, CR was at 21 before. Second one in Hell Frigid Highlands, caught a stray javelin from an ES/FE slinger way off screen. Another instagib. I was actually trying to not die this time around, so both were highly aggravating. Oh well.

Finds:
-Forges: Hel/Ko
-Gull Dagger outside Andariel’s room, normal.
-Ko rune from NM Andariel
-Lum rune in NM Tal’s Tomb
-Lidless Wall in NM River of Flame
-Skin of the Vipermagi (25/10) in NM Chaos Sanctuary
-Ko rune in NM Frigid Highlands
-Witchwild String (154%; same as the one I had for the disappoint) in Hell Dark Marsh.
-The Rising Sun from Hell Duriel

Just for comparison's sake I took the WWS I found and upped it. Had to toss on some strength charms, but nothing meaningful changed. Damage numbers are as follows:

Code:
Strafe, with Might: 583-858
Guided Arrow, with Might: 745-1097
Multiple Shot, with Might: 521-767

Thanks for reading. Normally I would insert a pun here, but I couldn't come up with one suitably amazong.

Nice skill+patience to finish with only two deaths! And having less than 500 damage and 500 hp, that has to be a record.

How was Magic Arrow against the PI's?

Magic Arrow was great (I just used normal attack instead of MA to conserve mana, WWS OP clearly). To be honest I found the CtC Amp triggered more often than expected (to be fair, I expected it to trigger all the time against small packs of random monsters and never against anything I needed it against) and the number of PI monsters I didn't get to strafe after a little MA prodding was very low.

I've actually rarely had a less annoying time in the Arcane Sanctuary than with this char, even though Hell was last arm (my area layouts in Hell were almost all terribad), just because lining up ghosts with the decoy then MA'ing them is so effective.

@Nagisa: no u [2]

Pretty cool! I've got a strafer in the works atm as well, it's a lot more fun than I remember it being in the pre-LoD days. :)

Assuming I'm understanding it right, that's a pretty interesting sept idea, as well. Pretty impressive, having so few deaths with base vit, as well.

Great write up! I was just thinking I should try an Amazon. I never have before, and it seems like a very different play from what I've done so far.
Pretty cool! I've got a strafer in the works atm as well, it's a lot more fun than I remember it being in the pre-LoD days. :)

Assuming I'm understanding it right, that's a pretty interesting sept idea, as well. Pretty impressive, having so few deaths with base vit, as well.
Yes, what is the idea? A sept of Pat/Mats with only Exceptional, not Elite equipment?

Yes, what is the idea? A sept of Pat/Mats with only Exceptional, not Elite equipment?

Pretty much. The exact idea is items easily (as per my arbitrary determining) acquirable from NM Mephisto or earlier. So, in fact, even some Exceptionals are off the table (as are almost all unique amulets, even the lowly Mahim-Oak Curio is above the rarity level I originally aimed at). I should probably actually come up with a name for the sept, but that seems unlikely.

Probably should include that in the writeups from here on. Something of clarification, from the Frost Zealot's writeup:

maareek said:
I’ve arbitrarily set “easily” at roughly 1:3000 odds from NM Meph with 0MF, which works out to somewhere in the neighborhood of 1:1000 with 250MF. Low-end runewords in low-end bases are also, equally arbitrarily, allowed. Exceptions, also, will be allowed on an “I feel like it” basis.

1:3000 with 0MF should be a little over 1:1000 with 250MF, but meh. In real terms the sept is mostly a way to try and regain a modicum of skill at the game and remember how to actually plan a build. Plus I'm insane.

Pretty much. The exact idea is items easily (as per my arbitrary determining) acquirable from NM Mephisto or earlier. So, in fact, even some Exceptionals are off the table (as are almost all unique amulets, even the lowly Mahim-Oak Curio is above the rarity level I originally aimed at). I should probably actually come up with a name for the sept, but that seems unlikely.

Probably should include that in the writeups from here on. Something of clarification, from the Frost Zealot's writeup:

1:3000 with 0MF should be a little over 1:1000 with 250MF, but meh. In real terms the sept is mostly a way to try and regain a modicum of skill at the game and remember how to actually plan a build. Plus I'm insane.
I like that approach. I'm currently doing something similar in locking myself into a certain set of items (not as low level as the ones you're using--just building an Avenger with the OC set), and having less slots available to change has definitely helped me become more aggressive/determined/methodical with choosing the remaining variables of the build.

Nice ! Me Like!

I love old school D2 AmaZons best in gaming.
The trick is shown by your low death rate and equip.
Fast movement, Use of CTC effects Amp (PI solution), and resists, buffs and passives to let your army of 3 do it.
:D
All you have to do is spend hours playing with few mistakes.

I personally never got a Witchwood String drop for my Grail until I was way beyond it bow wise and mostly via Rares http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4961421&postcount=11 when I played as some of the old ones were awesome with really low REQ's

I love Sets Partial and full at low/mid level.

I'm also known for my love of good magic blues, Skills prebuffs etc.

This is Single player.

Superdave did it with a cracked bow.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High