Matriarch Ada, Fire Trapper

snickersnack

Dec 23, 2007
When the changes to NHD became known, a number of previously weak builds became more viable. I've matted a few assassins, and a fire trapper, especially hybridized with kicks, seemed like a good next step. Well, when Wake of Fire suddenly became much stronger, I started a new character. I wasn't sure if she'd be a pure trapper or a kicker hybrid, but she turned out to be a pure trapper. Maybe I'll repspec into a hybrid at some point or just make another new character.
ada01-jpg.86764

The build:
Fire Blast: 20
Wake of Fire: 20
Wake of Inferno: 20
Death Sentry: 20
Lightning Sentry: 11 (to synergize DS and FB)
Burst of Speed: 1
Fade: 1
Saved: 2

Early levelling:
This went by fast; I started less than a week ago. I think I started with pretty standard stuff, like Rixot's Keen and Hand of Broc, but my first goal was to get a Leaf staff equipped so that I could start using fire traps ASAP. (I'm still a bit stung by having quested a barb through Norm/NM and then respeccing into a singer right before an MP group and then having to learn the skill (cadence, placement) on the spot.) Leaf was a bit of a let down, and I think that had a lot to do with the trap laying speed. Things picked up a bit (at least it felt like it) when I equipped a Spirit sword.

Mid Levelling:
Late Normal and NM played as expected, for a fire trapper. It's like lightning traps but weaker! Skulders Ire went on for a while, and Magefist went on and stayed. Three skillers went on at level 42. At level 55 this went on:

Flame
Tiara
NefPulVex

Defense: 63
Durability: 25 of 25
Required Level: 55
Fingerprint: 0x500cde34
Item Level: 79
Version: Resurrected
Level 4 Resist Fire Aura When Equipped
+3 to Fire Skills
-12% to Enemy Fire Resistance
+30% Enhanced Defense
+30 Defense vs. Missile
+58 to Mana
+5% to Maximum Fire Resist
Half Freeze Duration
Poison Length Reduced by 50%

3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Nef Rune
Socketed: Pul Rune
Socketed: Vex Rune

The -enemy resist roll could be better, but that stayed in the helm slot for the rest of the play through. HOTO also went on and it was soon that CtA went on the swtich.

Late game:
Normal and Nightmare were done at /p8, and then Hell, well, it was all done on /p7, even the Ancients. Yeah, the build is that good. Let's look at the end game gear:

Weap: HOTO
Shield: Spirit (Phoenix might be BiS here, buuut then I'd want to hybridize with kicks instead of using DS)
Switch: CtA/Spirit
Chest: Enigma
Helm: Flickering Flame
Gloves: Magefist
Boots: War Traveler (for the MF)
Belt: Arachnid Mesh
Rings: BKWB, Ravenfrost
Ammy: Mara's (I have a decent +2sin/10fcr/res ammy waiting for level 89)
Charms: torch, anni, 70% fire sunder, 3 traps skillers, Gheed's, mana, run speed, mf, fire res, life

Merc: act 2, might
Weap: Infinity GPA
Chest: Fort
Helm: Andy with IAS/fireRes jewel

GoMule Stats Dump:
Name: Ada
Class: Assassin
Experience: 1342918172
Level: 87

Naked/Gear
Strength: 156/263
Dexterity: 30/98
Vitality: 304/368
Energy: 25/57
HP: 1134/1213
Mana: 154/406
Stamina: 557/607
Defense: 7/1594
AR: 100000114/100000640

Fire: 57/17/-43
Cold: 142/102/42
Lightning: 142/102/42
Poison: 142/102/42

MF: 170 Block: 22
GF: 147 FR/W: 76
FHR: 55 IAS: 0
FCR: 115

Resists were at 42@ on the traps switch for most of Hell, which wasn't a problem. I put 1 point into Fade for areas with more elemental damage flying about, but I mostly stuck to BoS. Around the middle of Act 4, I had 33 skill points saved, and I wasn't sure what to do with them. My clear speed had slowed a bit due the prevalence of Natural Fire Immunes and no Jah runes were in sight, so I decided to max Death Sentry and synergize as much as possible with Lightning Sentry. This had the added benefit of synergizing Fire Blast a bit more. Before that, the gameplay loop was: scoot along, laying Wake of Fire out ahead as needed, double back when I find a group, put up all 5 WoF traps, use FB on the mobs engaging me or the merc, recast WoF as needed; use Wake of Inferno instead for tough single targets. This changed a bit to include usually having 1 or 2 DS going while keeping up the WoF sentries. The slowdown in mid Act 4 was fixed (due to the physical damage dealt by DS) and Azrael and I went on our merry way.

Deaths:
There were a couple, but mainly due to me not paying attention. There was one pack of cursed Hell Witches in the Throne of Destruction that just kept melting the merc, but we got through it. As a trapper, the character is pretty safe.

Finds:
WELL, I went into this half expecting to find some high rune (a Jah plz!) for some reason. I still think that questing new characters is a great way to get high runes, and it turns out that running all of Hell difficulty (not full clears, but kind of close) is still pretty good. Here're the notable finds:

Ondal's Wisdom
Jav Skiller with +13 life
Carrion Wind
Seraph's Hymn
Zod rune (link shows all of those drops)

Future Plans:
I need to try a hybrid kick/trapper. A Jah rune would really help a lot since a Phoenix Monarch is pretty much BiS for this build, so maybe I'll do some LK runs?

With that Zod, if I do use this:
Berserker Axe
One Hand Damage: 54 - 159
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 64
Required Strength: 128
Required Dexterity: 49
Fingerprint: 0x51970345
Item Level: 90
Version: Expansion
50% Enhanced Damage
Ethereal
then I'll have at least three builds in mind: Avenger, Melee Necro [could just respec my synergized Oath necro...], Blade Fury/Sentinel Assassin.

Attachments

• ada01.jpg
    ada01.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 83
Nice Mat! Cool finds along the way, especially that Zod.

I have a Barb and a Necro in Hell, Acts II and III and respectively. Once they are done, I think a Fire Trapsin is next on my to-do list, especially considering the NHD changes in 2.7. The combo of Fire Blast and Wake of Fire will be fun and effective.

Reactions: snickersnack
Nice build, congratulations. I particularly like that the Resist Fire from Flickering Flame cancels out all the negative effects from the Sunder Charm. I always felt Fire characters had a hard time in the past, so it is nice to see them getting a boost.

Maybe it is time to try the Fireball Templar again :D

Reactions: snickersnack
Nice Mat! Cool finds along the way, especially that Zod.

I have a Barb and a Necro in Hell, Acts II and III and respectively. Once they are done, I think a Fire Trapsin is next on my to-do list, especially considering the NHD changes in 2.7. The combo of Fire Blast and Wake of Fire will be fun and effective.
Yeah, Wake of Fire is fun to use. I just wish it fired more shots before needing to be recast.

Reactions: little birdy
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High