Low level guides to leveling and playing

I always thought all you need to do is talk to him afterwards, and it has nothing to do with any other npcs. Most people activate it because they normally talk to him and go east before leaving the game, if they decide to do so after their quest kill.

Yeah, that's just the way I do it, and I know it works. I failed to bug her so many times that I just stick to the way it was first explained to me.

I honestly don't know how you could have just started and you are in hell. Maybe I am just really slow, or maybe you didn't full clear. But I am still in Act 3 normal, and after an hour of play yesterday I didn't gain a single level. So I am still 24. Perhaps I am just bad. I should mention that I am playing on a private server with no bots. But I am playing alone.

I already had 2 points in phoenix strike, and 2 points in tiger strike. If you remember from before I was having big mana problems with going around kicking everything. Kicking worked really well for killing. But I was dependent on pots after each and every enemy pack.

So I decided to start using phoenix strike. With a little practice I found it works really well.

The hot keys I use are 'Q' for normal attack, 'W' for my kick both on the left mouse click. I used to have to switch back to normal attack a lot because I had no mana. That's why Q is hot keyed for that. For right mouse click, 'A' is cloak of shadows, 'S' is for Phoenix, and 'D' is for burst of speed. My potions are 1, 2, 3, 4.

I can now leave kick on left click permanently. For big packs, I cloak of shadows, and start kicking, when mana gets low, I switch to phoenix strike, get three charges, then go right back to kicking. No more mana problems. The play style is way more exciting. I was pretty mad when the game froze on the third level of the Flayer dungeon.

Oh well.

Why are you playing on a server if you play alone anyways - just play normal single player
That way you wont come in contact with hacked duped or what not items

Yea I can't get the addons working on my mac, like the rune word one and the muling one, so playing on a server is what I do. I trust the people that run this server, and I doubt there will be any duped items.

go mule is rather easy to get on a mac - same as the RWM
i did it so everyone can do it

Smancer, sorry I didn't explain for how long I've been playing, I have been playing since around mid July, but the thing is:
I have been playing /players 8 for mostly of normal and nightmare, can you change it on that private server? if you play like this, you get lvl 18 in act1 normal with ease, lvl 24 on act2 normal, and I wasn't doing full clears!
When things got hard, all I had to do was to go back to the place with p1 (/players 1) and because I was so high level due to p8, things went smooth again.

In Hell, things change. Even on p1 it takes a lot of time to kill the monsters, so I stopped the Fishymancer on Hell Act 1. Started the sorceress, it took forever to kill on p8 so I played her for a long time on p1, focusing on fireball(made a Leaf runeword as soon as I could), then on normal Act 4 I got the frozen orb(lvl30), that was when things got much easier, with some points on frozen orb and some in cold mastery I could play p8, and all Nightmare I don't remember seeing cold immunes, so I got the sorc to Nightmare act3 and since the Sorc is a lot faster(teleport) than the necro, I runned Night Meph a lot of times, got some Items, then I saw somewhere that Shako and Maras would not drop from him, so I went to Hell act 1, killed Andy, than I used one respec to only fire, and was doing Andy runs all the time(lots of deaths made it frustrating) but there was some nice drops once in a while, some unique amulets and rings but no Maras and no SoJs, 2 pieces of the IK set(gloves and maul), no shako, no arachnids mesh, no occulus, so thats when I saw your post and I felt like your questions were mine, there's a lot of guides but they sometimes aren't noob friendly, except for the fishy, but the fishy was really slow in Hell...

but with the Items I found I now had lvl 31 Raise skeleton and lvl 31 skeleton mastery, and you can buy a staff with teleport for the necro, so now I was able to finish Hell really fast. but I still haven't found the Items I'd like to have, guess I'll respec the sorc to blizzard and try Meph runs like pharphis and felixbavaria recommended.

If you don't like to teleport past Cold Immunes, you can also try a Blizzballer, she is much more versatile for general questing (e.g., the Claw Viper Temple is hell for cold sorcs).

However nothing beats pure Blizzard in terms of efficiency for Hell Mephisto or Ancient Tunnels.

hmmm i always wanted to ask - what is the blizzballer anyways

on topic - so funny that we all seem to do it the same way - well my necro didn't get retired in hell but is doing lots of pit runs - and my sorc started normal with /p8 and kept it - melee with isenhart sets - that was fun ^^

Blizzballer is Blizzard/Fireball sorc. Basically you have Blizz as the main spell, load up on FCR and throw Fireballs between timered casts of Blizz. Good enough, but I prefer Orb/Ball as with some +skill gear Orb is fine without synergies (apart from CM).

@ Cartesius
Send a PM to jamesixgun he can probbaby help you with MAC problems.

A Bizzballer is a sorc who uses blizzard and fireball.

ah ok well i think i like my meteorb sorc well enough - she should be able to do AT as well (once she gets there)

I got some more play time. I took the time to download and figure out goMule, and also RWM. I think on a Mac all I have to do is launch the game from the RWM and I am good to go? Meaning th is nothing to install or anything...?

Anyway I bit the bullet and started my first true single player char. A fishy of course. The main goal will to be get to pits and ancient tunnels in hell and run them for gearing my assassin that I wanted to make on that private server.

I did notice a big increase in chipped gem drops on players 8. Also I think I am like level 16 and I am only to the dark wood. I have found my first grail item... Do you remember yours? It is a set shield with plus 10 strength. A very nice first find. I forget the name obviously.

My chipped gem luck has only yelled 4 topaz but like 16 amythists.

So there you have it. I am a true sp player now.

Welcome to real SP Smancer! Its nice to read about your progress, the gem drops really go crazy on p8 hehe
Are you doing the stuff on the untwinked single pass guide to help the MF?

Yes I am trying to. I already have my two socketed helm with two chipped topaz etc. etc. I am playing slightly different because this isn't a tournament character or anything. For example I am going to save the next few topaz instead of equipping my merc with mf.

Time for an update.

I got to thinking, that what I really wanted was to play an assassin. I mean, I like the necro, but my original goal was to level up an assassin. I started the necro because I figured, should be easy to get to hell, and then start doing runs for my assassin.

But you know what? I can do runs with my assassin, I like that play style a lot. There is a ton of time for other characters along the way.

So with my godly level 18 necromancer I gave my level 1 assassin, some chipped topaz to start her out.

I wasn't about to do full clears of Act 1, since I had already done that with my necro. I figured I could get her up to the point where my necro is then do full clears and kind of take over where he left off type of thing.

Fireblast is amazing at quick leveling. Simply run around and gather up a big group of monsters, get em all close together. And Fireblast's AoE takes em all out. Repeat and eat up all that juicy XP. I feel like a herding dog gathering up the sheep.

I am dumped the majority of points in to Fireblast. I am going to try and make her a pure trapper, with FB being the LI solution. I'll invest some into Shadow Master as well until I have the gear to focus souly on trap dmg. For leveling up and questing, I will dump some points into Energy because traps are expensive. I find it a lot of fun to think about what I will do with a character.

I got her to level 13 or so. I only had 20 - 30 minutes to play. Hopefully I will have time this weekend.

I have one question. What is the easiest to make runeword that I can make that will test whether or not RWM is working?

nice keep it going

on the topic of RWM
i would say Insight - Ral - Tir-Tal -Sol with Sol being the most expensive rune in there you can probably build it in normal with the Act 5 quest 2 reward if you are a little lucky with the drops - and you it is extremly useful as well
if you have problems with the RWM say so IIRC you were playing on the mac as well (not that i am having the know how - that is Jamessixguns territory - but i got my RWM and everything working with my mac)

I believe 4os polearms aren't available until NM, sure someone will correct me if that's not the case. The easiest might be 'Edge', always useful to have around for cheap-*** gambling/shopping.

yeah i forgot that the polearms aren't available that early - and you are right edge is even cheaper - so that would be the best way to test it

Act 5 polearms can be cube socketed to get 4os, though. Same for crystal swords. I did this on my tourny singer.

Sol isn't too hard to find from Eldritch/shenk, which is where I found a few of them, as well as amns.

@Smancer: as long as the modified files are in the D2 folder, any launch of the game will launch the modified runeword version. The two files replace the d2 patch file, and become an integral part of the game operation. There is no need to launch from the files themselves, just drop them in the d2 folder and *poof* you're modded.

There is a mac guide, by the way... /shameless self-plug.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High