Longest time playing without entering Hell Mode

Kardiophylax

Jan 14, 2004
Longest time playing without entering Hell Mode

I'm just wondering if I might have the record for this. I've had this game since it came out (2000 I think?), played it off and on for years now, and never have I gotten a character to hell mode. I've played about 20 characters through normal, and gotten to Act 4 NM with a few, but then I always get bored with the character and quit. Sometimes I get bored with the game alltogether.

Now I'm playing strictly HC mode and have 2 characters in NM mode with another on the way. This time I plan to play through the game for good. Am I the only one with this sort of Must start a new character complex? I mean I want to do some good MF'ing for once!

I know what you mean. I've only had the game for about a year now and only entered hell once...and that was a month or so ago. I also created a zillion characters and ended up deleting most of them before they even reached act II or III.

Two things helped solve this for me:
1. Joining the SPF and reading the build guides--helps so I've actually got a plan for the character, even if I don't completely follow the build I know what I want out of the character from the start.

2. Playing HC--seems to help make the character much more interesting and fends off boredom. Boredom=death.

You are not alone.

I bought Diablo 2 when it first came out (actually a couple of days early at a store that broke streetdate). I have only managed to get about 3 or 4 of my characters into Nightmare. My best being a Fishymancer who is currently sitting in Nightmare Act 5 waiting for me to get interested again.

I started a new Meteor/Orb Sorceress this week, and even though she is currently just playing backup to my Merc I am having a great time with her. Maybe she will be the first to finally make it into Hell!

Good to know I'm not alone. Was getting worried. :)

Looks like you even have me beaten by a few days General Zod. But, you do have an act on me, as I've only gone to Act 4 NM, so maybe its a push.

However, THIS TIME, I got my barb headed for Guardianship :D I also agree, HC revitalized the game for me.

i went the first 5 months without hell. brought in august or so, and i first entered hell about new years time.

I've had the game since release, and I so far have had only 2 characters in Hell--my 1.09 Magezon, who got as far as the Hell Ancients and got stuck there shortly before the 1.10 release, and my Matriarch sorceress who made it all the way a few weeks ago. I tend to play a lot of different characters, but the difference is that I don't play one to a certain stage then give up on it entirely; generally I'll switch to a different character for a while, then return to the first one when I'm feeling in the mood. As an example of this, I was playing my Skelliemancer until he reached Act 3 Nightmare, but then I switched to my Defiance Paladin; as soon as I discovered that I'd have to go through the Great Marsh to reach the Flayer Jungle in his game, I shelved him to go back to my hunter druid (I HATE Act 3). Who knows which character I'll be playing tomorrow? I certainly don't!

I'm with Kardio. Never gotten even a glimpse of Hell mode.

First played D2 about a year ago. Then decided to get D1 to see how it was. When I finished D1 I went back to D2. I've been playing D2 pretty much ever since. Ask my wife. The dishes STILL haven't been done. :lol:

I did get one barb to the NM Ancients (SC). They kicked his a** so hard that I decided to start over. Then I joined the SPF and discovered HC tourneys. Now I switch so often it'll be a miracle if I ever get to NM let alone Hell.

I'm not too worried, though I do hope to one day possess a Mat/Pat/Guardian character. If it doesn't happen? Hey, I can't climb 5.12, either. Doesn't make climbing any less fun.

Cheers

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High