Is there a solution for Alt-F4 during D2

smloeffelholz

Jun 15, 2018
Now that I am getting more serious about optimizing runs, I have been accidentally closing D2 a lot because of the Alt-F4 shortcut. I have looked online and on this forum, but I haven’t found any good solutions for the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem when running, or have you had it in the past? Does anyone know of an easy fix I can implement so that I don’t end up throwing my laptop through a window?

alt is arguably the worst key for showing items. Change it to be the 'space' bar and you will be much more effective, trust me. It's more comfortable (bigger range of motion is possible) and you'll NEVER hit the windows key (if you have it) or alt+f4.

That said, you shouldn't be using F4, either.
For hotkeys I use

skills | other stuff that is convenient
------------------------------------------
qwer | (Y = stats, U = quests)
asdf | g(weapon switch)
zxcv

you will adapt within only a few hours at most if you use some scheme similar to this.

Well don't I feel stupid.

Have you ever read an answer that was so simple, you are embarrassed to admit that you were puzzled by it in the first place? I have been playing this game the same way for so long that I didn't even think of remapping the keys. I mean why change a simple option in a game when you can try to work around unchangeable code in Windows. :rolleyes:

I switched my keys to the suggestion by pharphis, and I can already tell I am going to like it. It will take me a while to get used to it, but I'm pretty sure it will pay off in the long run. Thanks for the help, and I will try to keep my stupid questions to a minimum in the future. That, or I will change my profile picture to Minsc when I need to ask one. :D

It's not a stupid question! If I had to make a random guess, probably >10% of people use the default hotkeys even after playing the game for 18 years. I didn't change my hotkeys until I think I read the fishymancer guide or something like that, back in 2010-2011

Space Hamster!

Also, I use QWE for non-attack skills on all characters (such as Raise Skeleton/Golem/Bone Armor for Necro, Battle Command/Orders/Shout for Barb) and W is TP on all chars.

ASDF are active and combat skills, left or right doesn't matter. F is reserved for things like Howl/Terror or Teleport.

ZXCV are usually for backups or crowd control etc. My space bar is a potion slot, Y for weapon swap, B for inventory. I've got crazy reach and typing skills, I can reach F1-4 resting on home row, it's how I learned 20 something years ago.

I've been tempted to try the numpad out for hotkeys, I know someone around here uses that setup.

Well don't I feel stupid.

Seriously, I've been playing since 2000-ish and switched over to the keymapping idea in ~ 2016. No need to feel stupid at all...or I'm in the same boat :)

I will change my profile picture to Minsc when I need to ask one. :D

Camaraderie, adventure and steel on steel. The stuff of legends! Right Boo?

lol, I still occasionally fire up Baldur's Gate from time to time... and still haven't finished it! (king of restarts in that game)

Space Hamster!

Miniature giant space hamster, if you please...

Camaraderie, adventure and steel on steel. The stuff of legends! Right Boo?

lol, I still occasionally fire up Baldur's Gate from time to time... and still haven't finished it! (king of restarts in that game)

I have beaten that series of games more times than I care to admit. When you add in the Icewind Dale games and Neverwinter Nights, I could have earned a PhD with the time I have spent playing in the Forgotten Realms.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High