Iron Golem question

TomSilver

Jul 31, 2003
Iron Golem question

Can someone please explain me how the attributes of an iron golem are depending on the items stats? I was not aware that the item from which he is created from has any effect on the golems skills or stats, but read something about it in Nightfishs guide.

Thanks
Tom

An iron golem has a base defense and a base attack rating and damage. The game then treats the golem as it is using the item it is made from. Most of the time, you want the enemies to hit him (Thorns), so it is often best to make the golem from a weapon (that gives extra damage, too)

But you can do many different cool things, like making a golem from one of those resist all paladin shields socketed with some diamonds. It will make a highly elemental resistant golem (and the Summon Resist bonus is applied on top of that)

I believe the simple answer is that you can think of whatever item you make the Iron Golem out of is being "equipped" by the Golem. So for instance, if you find an indestructible sword or something with self-repair, your Iron Golem will NOT be invincible. However if you find something with life leech or life regeneration, that will help keep your Golem alive. Another thing I have heard is that Golems can have over 75% resistance, so if you get a shield with four perfect Diamonds and some more resistances, you will get an elementally immune Iron Golem. I have never tried this but I hear it works, and if you select the unsummon skill, and hover over the Iron Golem (but not clicking) you can see it's statistics, which say "Immune to Fire, Immune to Cold, Immune to Poison, Immune to Lightning" which probably keeps him alive easily. So basically I think that the Iron Golem has some certain "base" statistics, for life, damage, and so on, which are augmented depending on what item you make the Iron Golem out of. I hope that helps, and if I'm wrong someone please clarify. :D

I tried making an IG out of a weapon with life leech, I didn't see any red swirls. (Although the main power of the IG comes from the thorns and not its melee attack, so LL wouldn't help much anyway.)

Leach only works when it hits stuff. The Thorns damage will not leach at all. If you are trying to rely on your golem hitting stuff, you'll need to help its AR a lot. Max Golem mastery and clay golem only gets you to something like 2000 AR. That's not a lot.

I would suggest finding a weapon that has ITD, the Fool's prefix, or a 6 socketed weapon with 4 eths and 2 something else (better be good or that's not a lot of damage). Really, the best things to make IG out of is scrap weapons for thorns, high Resistance shields, or very specific rare weapons.

Hope that helps.

Porius

Some mods transfer to the IG but not all of them. There should be a list around somewhere (the post in the Necro forum was eaten in the crash...)

Making an IG out of something with "% Chance to cast x when struck" is always fun. Just be sure to avoid things like Courpsemourn which will override your curse.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High