Introduction / Playing with other SP people

Shira

Mar 28, 2007
This looks like the kind of thing I was looking for. I appreciate the purism. At first I played straight up Ladder, but I started to feel put-off by my adjacence to the notorious bot activity -- and how it made literally everything I did feel pointless.

Then I tried to mentally separate myself, still on ladder, with a new 'pure' solo account, but it's hard to fully mentally implement that boundary. I think the only reason I wasn't single player with that, is that I couldn't manage to get the ladder runewords hax working, and I generally distrusted anything third-party to be flaky compared to simply having an actual ladder character. But in the end I also ended up shunting my 'pure' MF'ed gear to my tainted account characters, and I was playing them as well just so I could at least mess around with other people a bit (and gave in to bot-run XP runs to skip to higher levels for special builds).

Anyway I'm looking forward to building up my progression of gearing with different specialized farming characters that I can bounce back and forth on. Like a 1.07 Hell Cows Javazon for ethereal weapons, for a pure Trav MF Barb, with a Hell Meph Sorc on the side, and a Skelemancer with Poison Nova for fun. I think it will be fun to mess around in older, harsher versions too, maybe classic.

It gives me optimism for D2R as well, after hearing that it will probably be just as marred by bot nonsense on ladder; though I really hope they'll make the characters just look more on-model. I don't like the creative liberties they took there. I just want my conventionally attractive, sexy young Amazon, Sorceress, and Assassin in my Diablo 2, is that so much to ask? And the Necromancer's face is too wide. They all have flumpy potato-face, honestly. That's not dark and gritty, it's just weird and sad. Reality is sad enough, just make my silly game pretty like it was.

Are there many opportunities to join up with someone in a game kind of impromptu? I can't find much mechanism for that kind of thing.

Last edited:
@Shira Welcome mate, thanks for the intro! I totally get where you are coming from - even the more recent mods are pretty meh in my opinion as a limitless shared stash in game would slow me down more than gomule. I swear by gomule - especially with time travelling - which I think you will find quite enjoyable. I started with 1.07 a few years back and now i go all the way to 1.00 with 5+ stops in between!

As for multiplayer, there is/used to be a thread for multiplayer (MP) games here in the forum. I think every few months a new group starts, which actually i would also consider joining if my availability allows!

Regarding d2R, i agree mate...i dont really care about most of the features they are offering - just give me my Dclone and Ubers in single player and i will happily shell out the €39.99 (yikes!) that theyre asking...without those additions, i am not so sure...:D

Welcome!

I quit BNet after finding the SPF over a decade ago (maybe closer to 15yrs?). At the time it had a bustling MP community and one of the mods regularly hosted 8P MP Baal runs over TCP/IP and Hamachi.

I think with several high-profile YouTubers using non-SPF-approved mods, the modern/younger D2 player is SP/SSF. Many of the long-timers here are SSF both for the achievement aspect and to prevent the possibility of mixing with tainted items/characters. AFAIK, Trim and I are the only ones who MP on a set schedule, but as mentioned there is the odd LFG thread in the MP section.

What time zone are you in, out of curiosity?

I just stayed SP due to years of slowly building up my SP account during times when my computer refused to connect to bnet. Most of my SP characters are ancient with most being over 10 years old. Hard to give that up. Grailing now just gave them a purpose.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High