Hey SPF, what's new?

JoeBruce

Jun 18, 2020
Greetings fellow D2 enthusiasts. It has been quite some time since I've been on the forums, probably longer since I've played the game (except for loading up a few runs very recently). Like many (all?) of us, I was very excited about D2R, but I hesitated to buy it for a variety of reasons (mostly personal, real life stuff).

I started looking hard at purchasing D2R a couple weeks ago, and I found some info about this new patch. I've been reading up on a few recent threads here, as well as reviewing patch notes. It's quite astounding. I'm likely throwing down the money soon. I had a few questions I'm hoping you all can answer.
  1. Did any previous patches for D2R bring this many game changes? Wondering if I need to dig up old patch notes.
  2. How easy or hard is it to transition my old D2 files into the D2R game?
    • It looks like GoMule is keeping updated, though D2R brought some big changes that messed with things behind the scenes. Since I will likely go straight from original D2 to D2R 2.4 patch, I don't think I have much to be concerned about, correct?
  3. How much of a system hog is the new version? My computer isn't exactly new (one of the things I love about D2, I know my computer can handle it!). I'm not too savvy with the tech parlance these days, and when I look up the requirements I'm not 100% sure where I fall on the spectrum. I have:
    • CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz
    • Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
    • 12GB of RAM
  4. Does the game ever go on sale?
Thanks for the input. See you in Sanctuary!

1. Nothing really big. 2.3 has a couple of important changes, like the addition of quick cast on PC (this was on controller from the start of D2R) and fixing the Viper damage in Nilathak's area.

2. It's not hard, but if you have a lot of stuff, it can be tedious. (You have to move stuff from your stashes onto mule characters and then load them into D2R to convert the items and characters.)

3. I'll let others get this one.

4. I'm sure it will go on sale at some point, but it's less likely while it's still fairly new. (The first ladder season hasn't even started yet.)

3. Hmmm, your RAM is halfway between the minimum and recommended. Your video card's clock should be fine and the vRAM is halfway between the minimum and the recommended; OTOH, your CPU is a bit underpowered maybe? Your CPU clock speed is a bit lower than the one listed as the minimum while its core count is double what is needed. I'd say that you might not be able to run it.

For this person here (https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/blizzard/t/d2r-not-opening/18098/16), the game won't launch.

I don't know if it'll help, but you could try finding out the blizz return policy. Maybe you can just return it if it won't run.

Its already been on sale twice, both times for -10€ off the full price

How much of a system hog is the new version? My computer isn't exactly new (one of the things I love about D2, I know my computer can handle it!). I'm not too savvy with the tech parlance these days, and when I look up the requirements I'm not 100% sure where I fall on the spectrum. I have:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz
  • Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
  • 12GB of RAM
My pc is older than yours and it runs D2R on the lowest settings (which are still beautiful) perfectly fine.
The game seems to be very well optimised and I didn't have any issues or fps drops no matter what chaos was happening in the screen.

Reactions: snickersnack
Thanks for the input, all.

I downloaded it the other night and put in some work on a new Druid. It plays without any hitches. So far I am very impressed with the new version. It still feels very much like D2, it just looks a lot nicer and has all these great quality of life improvements (still getting used to not having to click on all the gold drops). I look forward to discovering all the new features as I go. Will probably be posting in the GoMule thread with a few questions there.

A long time ago, I started a HC sept of physical damage themed characters. They made it to A2 NM before someone died—my werebear druid. I'm not even sure what happened, he might have morphed out of bear form at the wrong moment and gotten 1HKO'd by a vampire. I didn't play any more of the sept after that (the seven chars were on a parallel playthrough, sharing items between acts).

But, I've decided in honor of D2 Resurrected, I will "resurrect" Aldur the werebear druid. We'll see if he can get caught up to the others some day!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High