Help on understanding enhanced damage from: Maul, Werebear, and HotW

Feb 3, 2011
These three skills all add %ED, and while I searched around, I couldn't find a post/guide that showed how a werebear's damage is calculated.

Does it all get lumped together? Is it compounding ED%? (And if so, what order?)

I'd very much like to know as I'm making a HC/SP Maul Werebear in the Super Unique tourney over on the single player forum...and I want to get the most bang for my buck skill investment-wise. (Very little choice of equipment, so I need to be frugal with my skills too)

P.S. As an aside, if I do decide to use HotW, would I have enough AR to be able to use a Act 2 Might merc? ~150%AR bonus sounds pretty nice, as well as the amount from Maul, but will it be enough in Hell?

Thanks

Yep, it just gets added together. Infact all enhanced damage mods ( except on the weapon ) are added along with the skill enhanced damage mod and then multiplied with the damage of the weapon.

P.S. As an aside, if I do decide to use HotW, would I have enough AR to be able to use a Act 2 Might merc? ~150%AR bonus sounds pretty nice, as well as the amount from Maul, but will it be enough in Hell?

Obviously this depends on your gear, but probably yes, should be enough :)

Cool cool cool. With maxed Maul, Werebear, and HotW (plus level 20 might aura and no +skills) I'll hit 826%ED! Hopefully I'll have a weapon that does has enough base damage to utilize it.

Thanks for the advice, will be my first druid in years to (hopefully) hit a high level and be successful.

P.S. OT, but is 1 point in summon grizzly "enough" for hell? I get the feeling it isn't, and if so I'd rather use my skill points elsewhere. Plus as a bear myself, I feel like I should be able to tank relatively well...

Last edited:
Well, actually druids suck, 'cause everything they do can be better done by someone else... a concentration barb does 835% damage with concentration (magic damage, so almost 0 immunes)... add mastery and might and you'll have a great delusion :D

Grizzly has insignificant damage, but is a good tank, even with 1 point... extra points in grizzly won't increase its life, only its (useless) damage. To increase his life you have to put points in dire wolf... but i really don't recommand it. As +skill won't work on synergies, usually, when you see a grizzly, his life is the same you will have with 1 point in it... and that's enough :)

Yeah, I know druids are underpowered and a sometimes silly class, but they're still fun to use. So you think 1 point in Dire Wolves is enough for the Grizzly's health for Hell? The Grizz is a nice tank, but it seems I'd have to invest 5-10 in Dire Wolves for it to work beyond NM act 3.

What do you mean with "it works"? :D

If you mean staying alive, 1 point is enough (+1 point in dire wolf as prerequisite)... i use it in hell and rarely dies. If you mean dealing some effective damage, the best advice i can give you is to make a necro :D

What do you mean with "it works"? :D

If you mean staying alive, 1 point is enough (+1 point in dire wolf as prerequisite)... i use it in hell and rarely dies. If you mean dealing some effective damage, the best advice i can give you is to make a [STRIKE]necro[/STRIKE] paladin :D

Fixed it for you.

Yeah, enough so it works as a tank. I guess 1 point will work then, thanks. I had to invest 5 points into shockwave to get it to a 4 second delay...so I really didn't want to spend any more skill points in places other than HotW or the SS tree.

Sweet, thanks for the help!

Shockwave is great, but it's a bit hard to use (i always have some difficulties in stunning all the monsters) so you'll want it to last for about 8-10 seconds.
I guess in single player this won't be that easy, but when you will have enough +skills, 1 point in shockwave will be enough, just like 1 point in bear :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High