Hardcore Graveyard Gallery

Flux

Administrator
Jun 22, 2003
Hardcore Graveyard Gallery

One of the most popular features on the site back in the early D2 days was the Hardcore Graveyard. The purpose was simple; to provide a virtual burial ground for felled hardcore characters. Players could send in a screenshot of their death screen and write a short/informative memorial, which we'd then HTML and post, sorted by class and clvl. Several hundred burials were made during 2000 and 2001, but I eventually fell behind on the task, and never got back to it. (Which is a shame, since there were literally hundreds of them sent in; far more than ever got posted.)

Happily, the Graveyard has returned, and no longer must you depend on site staff to perform the undertaker's role. The graveyard is open source now; you need merely upload your death screenshot to the Hardcore Graveyard folder in the image gallery, write up the caption, and hit post. If you want to further publicize the death, make a post in this forum with whatever screenshots, details, taunts, vows of revenge, complaints, lag-blaming, or anything else you'd like to say. We'll be making a main page news post about the Graveyard from time to time, linking to some of the more interesting recent interments.

To get things started, I've posted 41 shots/captions from the classic graveyard. They're almost all from D2C (just a few D2X were added later, of my own character deaths), and as such there are no Druids or Assassins. Thrill to the days when 40 was a high level HC char, of instant MSLE deaths, of portal trapping bastards, and an overall much harder game than we enjoy today.

You can post whatever caption you like but here are the fields we suggested in the old days, and they still seem fairly comprehensive to me today:
  • Character Name, Class, Level, and Realm/SP:
  • Location of Death:
  • Cause of Death:
  • Details:
  • Greatest Regret:
  • Famous Last Words:
  • What Could Have Prevented This Tragedy:

Be sure you put your shots into the Hardcore Graveyard folder. (Not your personal folder, or they won't be seen by people browsing by category.) For greater visibility and easy class sorting, enter the correct tag. "sorceress-burial", necromancer-burial, etc. Example. Have fun! (So to speak.)

Last edited:
Re: Hardcore Graveyard Gallery

Goodness, Flux; how did you manage to kill so many characters!?

i played only hc and went through quite a few, esp in the early days/patches, when there were so many instant death bugs. Let's remember a few? MSLE, FEES death explosions (Geleb, usually), Diablo's firestorm (once lost a 75 druid with 3200 hps and max fire res in 1 sec to that), Nihlathak's 1000+ dmg more-than-full screeen CE, Baal's minions loading lag, thorns on an un-converted monster, Duriel's loading lag...

That said, only 4 or 5 of the entries are my chars, and a couple were lvl 83/86 MF barbs who died to various mishaps after/during long and successful MFing careers. The vast majority are ones people sent in, mostly in the first 6-8 months of D2.

One interesting thing about getting all the graveyard emails was that I got a daily updated log on what players were dying to. the 40 entries I put up now aren't very useful for that, since they're a scattershot of the 150 that were originally posted, and they're from all during the first year of the game. But seeing them every day in my inbox, I could almost watch the knowledge and caution of HC players evolve, as they (we) learned what was dangerous, which chars were more able to survive (the key was to get one up to a fairly high level so you could start muling and twinking, thus greatly boosting the odds of your next generation surviving and helping to consolidate your resources), what play styles paid off long term, etc.

Can't really recreate that now, since everyone's pretty well built up a warchest of items and play experience, but perhaps come the next patch or ladder wipe we'll get some real time representation of what's most dangerous in the game.

Hey that works pretty well, I'm sorry to say.:tombstone::crazyeyes:

Wow...the legendary Flux!!

I find such pictures very fascinating, though it would be better if nobody had to die for them.

Would be nicer if there were screenshots from old versions featuring that killer monster near Inner Cloister

I find such pictures very fascinating, though it would be better if nobody had to die for them.

Would be nicer if there were screenshots from old versions featuring that killer monster near Inner Cloister

But that someone died is what makes them interesting?

Flamespike the Crawler was that monster. I was going to make a page for him on the SU listing, but didn't quite get around to it. Removed way early, v1.03 or somewhere around there, back when level loading delays were still substantial, and he would spawn right on top of the waypoint every now and then and you'd die before you ever saw what had killed you. he never got me, but I had friends who lost HC chars to him in those early days. Don't think any were gyard entries, though.

The first new shot has been added, by YogiRat. It's sparse of caption, but the lagbeast was responsible. I recommend creating these; it's painful at the time but you get to vent, and that makes it cathartic. Plus it's nice to have the tombstone to look back on afterwards; reminds you of the good times.

Had a series of mishaps with my orb/es sorc's. Not much to see in the screenshots but the folder was getting dusty and I'd been busy.

Nice to see there's one thing I don't suck in, my pala is the highest RIP. :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High