Hard drive crashed...worst update

Kstil3227

Jun 22, 2019
Well this is a great start to the new year :(:cry:. My Hard drive decided to say bye bye. Built this computer from scratch 10 years ago. Updated the graphics card, RAM, and Power Supply for D4 in 2023, other than that everything is the same. I Guess it was just time. It crashed one day while I was at work. Wife was working from home and she said a random update came across and I said I didn't have any updates pending or scheduled. Next thing I know when I get home is my computer won't boot up. Take it to a friend to confirm, yup Hard Drive gone. No backups externally...family pictures, random things and all my D2R characters....gone....2--99ers and 2 characters moving within a couple months of 99....so time to start over on everything. I had a sept of characters ready to start using all their respectable class sets that were complete. Plenty of other characters in the making...man this sucks...but oh well. New year....new start...rant over.

D2R plans for 2024...get at least 1 99er back this year, get a couple other characters to 90+

No, No, No! So sorry Kstil, terrible state of affairs. Hurricane_Syd and Sydney are memorialized, but totally sucks for the two questing 99ers and losing the files and all the gear :( Good luck with the next batch, great to see you right back into it!

Reactions: Kstil3227
Aw, damn, that is terrible! :(

Don't know at all if this is applicable or helpful, but when my hard drive was fried by a power spike I could not boot up yet I could access some of the files when a friend helped me get a new main drive, and attach the damaged one as an extra. I don't know what's happened to yours, just hoping blindly it's something that would have left something on it salvageable.

Man, that's terrible! Best of luck on the restart... seems like the RNG owes you at least some crazy drops now. 🙏

I agree just a horrible occurrence. I got a taste of what you are experiencing when my Wolfbarb disappeared at level 95, but was able to recover a backup.

I also agree with @Maltati. I had a the same situation on an old computer, but the Doc was able to save many of my files after pulling the drive from my computer. Not disparaging your friend as I don't know just how good of a disk doctor he is.

@LouB and @Maltatai I honestly don't know how good he is compared to others, I just don't know much about it. I just trust him that when he said its the hard drive and its done, its done. I asked before taking it to him that if he could save files from it to try. Family pics and D2R files is all I asked for and he said its done. Now its just back to the grind.

• Sad
Reactions: Maltatai
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High