Guardian Jill, v1.10-1.11 Mastery Sorceress

jiansonz

Jun 22, 2003
Guardian Jill, v1.10-1.11 Mastery Sorceress

In September 2004, Uzziah kicked off a rather wacky tourney called Mastery Sorc Tourney. I eventually entered, but not for any prizes. My goal was not to beat NM at the lowest level but to play a single pass full clear on the highest comfortable players setting, like I usually do.

I chose a Blessed Aim merc, mostly so my character would be able to hit things without needing much help from gear. Since some decent base AR would be helpful, I went for max blocking. Seemed like the logical thing to do.

After I beat NM, Jill was put on hold for several years because I was tired of her at the time and I had more interesting characters to play. A couple of years ago, I took a completely skill-less Assassin (paired with an Act I merc) all the way to an Act III Hell temple, so I figured this challenge can´t be harder than that. Stonger merc and better merc-helper skills, and the character also has ways to do some decent damage by herself. Time to move on with this!

In Normal and Nightmare, I was forbidden to use an ATMA stash because of tourney rules. Since I could not save them for massive rerolling of merc weapons later, I used up my chipped and mid-sized gems to reroll orbs as I progressed through the game. This rerolling gave me my two main weapons already in Normal:

Jill's Garnet Sacred Globe
One-Hand Damage: 3 to 8
Durability: 23 of 30
(Sorceress Only)
Required Level: 18
Orb Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0xcec6f9cd
+9 to Life
+15 to Mana
Fire Resist +27%
Adds 1-6 fire damage
+2 to Glacial Spike (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Teleport (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Shiver Armor (Sorceress Only)
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Jill's Sapphire Sacred Globe of the Sentinel
One-Hand Damage: 3 to 8
Durability: 30 of 30
(Sorceress Only)
Required Level: 18
Orb Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0xd860a0a
+9 to Mana
Magic Damage Reduced by 2
Cold Resist +37%
+1 to Shiver Armor (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Static Field (Sorceress Only)
Socketed (2: 0 used)

Chippie-rerolling produces ilvl 25 weapons. These have base tier of level 18 skills, which is great, because the two level 18 skills in the first orb were exactly the ones I wanted on an orb. I was very happy to roll this orb. Shiver Armor was icing, and it even has a useful affix! :)

It´s socketed with a Jacinth Jewel of Passion. That was a spur-of-the-moment decision because I was annoyed by running out of mana so often. (Also remember that I couldn´t save all my potentially useful jewels either - they competed for limited space with runes and such throughout Normal and NM.) Later on, I could probably have replaced it with something better, but I just forgot to...

When I picked up this character again, I brought her from 1.10 to 1.11. That meant less danger in melee against FE bosses, and the addition of those seven class-oriented runewords. Still no RWM, though.

Progress up to Hell Harrogath can be followed in the tourney thread. An important find was a Lum rune in Tal´s third tomb so I could upgrade Pierre Tombale Couant to elite. Not only did Haseen now have a much better weapon, it also freed up my Lem rune. I had kept it around because of the prospect of making a 'Passion' weapon for the merc. Now that I had something that did even more damage, I made a 'Treachery' armor for Haseen. That is such an awesome fighter-merc armor with the huge IAS, the Fade (providing both fat resists, 15% PDR and curse time reduction) and the Venom.

The last act went something like this:

I met those ultra powerful Horror Archers in Abbadon. Many ouch!-moments for the merc, and a bunch of merc deaths, especially to a Might + Multishot boss pack of them.

Glacial Trail was pretty hard for us, because it had PI Frenzytaurs. I had to use the FW staff and have Haseen drink lots of lots of potions, including a large number of purples. The Champ pack that guarded the Drifter Cavern entrace were Frenzytaurs. Ouch.

Drifter Cavern was nothing special, but the next ice lake area had a very dangerous boss. Thankfully, I had secured enough space so I could do this. BURN!

Nihlathak´s floor had Tomb Vipers (the Champ pack was also Vipers), but it took a while before I encounted any (just archers and spiders early on). I avoided many merc deaths with clever Teleport use. I think he only died once.
Jill used Corpse Explosion from a 'Black' Flail to deprive Nilly of exploding fodder, and a few times the explosion even damaged to slimy Necromancer himself.

Teleport separation on the Summit worked very well. CE something Korlic and Madawc (with wimpy mods) were defeated. For some reason, they took very little damage from Haseen´s stabs, and when Jill tried a few swings with the 'Black' weapon, very little happened.

I had seen Talic before so I knew he was Stone Skin + Cursed. That didn´t look like fun for Haseen, since his leeching would be much smaller than normally. I figured that if he is going to have a chance to at least somewhat be able hold the line, I need to get Talic into a position where he won´t whirl. I needed two tries (the second time, he whirled at us when we were Amped!) and then I managed to arrange this situation. Only occasional potion use was needed now. I know he has at least 50% physical resist, but it still took a curiosly long time... Thank goodness for the Venom!

WSK 1 had vampires and spawners. Against the first vampire boss pack, when I saw how very little Haseen could damage them per hit, I finally realized my mistake: I must have typed in /players 8 when I started this game! I mean, this is standard procedure for most of my D2 sessions. I must have not really been awake when I started off today! Switched to /p1 but the mistake had been done for the monsters that had already spawned.

(Jeebers, this means I killed Ancients on /p8. That´s a first on Hell...) :crazyeyes:

What a slog this floor was. Must have taken me over two hours. Two vampire boss packs and FIVE spawner boss packs (only three of the spawner bosses had /p8 amount of life, though).

Much easier for the rest of the WSK. Wussy final floor with Pit Lords, Dark Lords and OB/Doom Knights.

Lusting for grailers, I cranked it up /p3 for the Baal fight. Static to half at first, of course. Then, whenever Haseen could stay alive long enough for Blessed Aim to activate, Jill gave Baal some 'Black' treatment. "Have at it, you ugly slime!"
(No, I have no idea why it looks like Jill has borrowed Katra Solopuro's hairdo.)

When Black no longer was effective and Haseen just couldn´t stay alive for long, Jill got into some elemental fighting, too.

The drop had 4 uniques. Never seen that before. I thought for sure such a high-end elite would be a grailer, but looking through my spreadsheet I could see that it actually wasn´t.

"Cow level shouldn´t be so bad", I thought. GSpike makes for awesome crowd control there. But I was being an idiot (just like with the players setting earlier). Red portal was completely out in open space. First couple of cows were killed easily, but then we happened to wake up many cows from two directions at once. Haseen got Cursed and before I could help him enough, he got killed. Yikes, I am also Amped, and here they come! I ran and teleported to a calm spot, hit my TP switch hotkey, and the TP "skill" didn´t get selected! What? OK, maybe I haven´t assigned the key correctly? After all, I pretty much always cast them from the book in inventory. OK, more cows, now I need to find an even calmer spot so I can have the time to open my inventory. EXTRA FAST bosspack here, too, OMG!

Crazy fleeing once again, where I several times was very close to getting hit. I found a calmer spot, opened inventory and THERE WAS NO BOOK! Crap, I had put it in the stash so it wouldn´t get pooled with the one I bought from Akara to create the portal. Me=idiot. (Anyone else who has done this mistake?)

Red portal, red portal, must get there! But there are only two cows here, so I´ll keep them frozen until my Amp has timed out. Now it was not only a matter of getting out, I also needed to make it in such a way that the portal wouldn´t be mobbed for our return.

I did just that, and upon return, I got really lucky and reached the small corral with only a couple of regular cows there. The northern end of this corral has a very nice bottleneck that we took advantage of until more space was secured. No problems from here. Sweet!

(stats follow in the next post)

Last edited:
Re: Guardian Jill, v1.10-1.11 Mastery Sorceress

Guardian Jill, Mastery Sorceress
Level: 85
STR 74+6
DEX 214+14
VIT 192
ENE 35
Life 987
Mana 238

Resists (main orb): 70/49/75/-15
Resists (Static Field orb): 43/75/75/-15
Resists (Fire Wall staff): 18/57/51/-40

Skills:
Warmth 20
Fire Mastery 20
Lightning Mastery 20
Cold Mastery 20
(16 unused points)

Primary Gear:
* Prismatic (16) Coronet of the Whale, reward-socketed with a perfect ruby (+135 life)
* Rare Amulet with +1 Sorcie skills, Resist All 14, Replenish Life +7, +2 Life
* Jill´s Garnet (27) Sacred Globe, +2 Glacial Spike, +1 Teleport, +1 Shiver Armor, +9 Life, socketed with a Jacinth (15) Jewel of Passion
* 'Wealth' Breast Plate (but on Hell Arreat Summit, WSK and Throne level, she used Que-Hegan´s Wisdom)
* 'Rhyme' Tower Shield
* Crafted Heavy Gloves with 10% Crushing Blow, Resist Fire 27, +14 Life, PLR by 25%, 1% life steal
* Dwarf Star
* Crafted Mesh Belt with +69 Life, 10% FHR, Resist Cold 11, 5% Open Wounds, 2% life steal
* Rare Ring with Resist Lightning 29, +39 Life, +92 AR, +5 STR, +2 DEX
* Rare Light Plated Boots with 20% Faster Run, Resist Lightning 33, Resist Cold 32, +16% MF, +48% Extra Gold

Switch:
* Jill´s Sapphire (37) Sacred Globe of the Sentinel (MDR by 2), +1 Static Field, +1 Shiver Armor, +9 mana, 2 open sockets
* 'Rhyme' Bone Shield

Charms:
* Grand Charm of Sustenance (28)
* Large Charm of Vita (28)
* Snake´s (20) Large Charm of Sustenance (23)
* Ruby (13) Large Charm of Venom
* Sapphire (13) Large Charm
* Small Charm of Vita (20)
* Small Charm of Vita (19)
* Bronze Small Charm of Sustenance (13)
* Ruby (11) Small Charm
* Russet (7) Small Charm
* Cobalt (8) Small Charm of Blight
* Ocher (7) Small Charm of Strength (1)
* Ocher (6) Small Charm of Dexterity (1)
* Ocher (6) Small Charm of Dexterity (1)
* Ocher (6) Small Charm
* Tangerine (4) Small Charm

Haseen, level 85 Blessed Aim Desert Guard
* Tal Rasha´s Horadric Crest
* Pierre Tombale Couant, 'Amn', upgraded to Cryptic Axe
* 'Treachery' Breast Plate

Other useful stuff, mostly kept in stash:
* 'Leaf' Gnarled Staff, +3 Fire Wall
* 'Leaf' Gnarled Staff, +2 Enchant
* Shocking (1-441) Throwing Spear of Vileness
* 'Black' Flail (before I could make this, a 'Strength' Cutlass was used)
* The Rising Sun (amazing against Diablo!)

Other interesting finds:
* Three grailers: Death Cleaver (my first TC87 unique), Ume´s Lament (my last remaining S/U normal item type weapon/armor) and Tiamat´s Rebuke
* Vex rune, dropped by a regular monster in Durance 2

Number of areas missed: None
Number of areas repeated: None (just the occasional following monsters killed - loot from these left on ground)
Number of monsters parked: None!

Addendum:
Haseen is Guardian follower #8 of 12 in my Dodecavirate of merc types. Remaining types:
- Act I Cold (had one with a Phoenix Striker that died in Hell Act V - D'oh!)
- Act II Prayer
- Act II Defiance
- Act III Fire

Last edited:

Grats on the Guardian. Seven years in the making! And an interesting concept. Must've required some serious patience.
It's nice to see some others get the whirling Ancient in a corner to stop his whirls. And if you did take them on at /players8, wow!

I can't say I've ever made the mistake of using my tome of TP's to cube the Cow Portal. I always buy a new one, and refill the old.

"Crafted Mesh Belt
25 life steal"

Oo'
Ohh, that 5 is meant to be a %. :wink: Makes sense.

Again, big congratulations on another impressive Guardian! What's up next?

Wow! Incredible read and outstanding perseverance (the tourney started 2005?!?!)!! Kudos to your D2 skills, really :thumbsup:

Those are some pretty good items for untwinked play! Tal's Mask, Treachery, the upped Pierre Tombale, the boots, the crafts...wow! And about the cow level: I had that happen to me, too...but fortunately with a twinked cow runner...I can only imagine the shock you got when no TP icon appeared after hitting the hotkey! I had that once happen to me with a tourney character while fleeing from a boss frenzytaur pack because I forgot to shop new TP scrolls and had used the last one for the trip back to town. Now that was a stupid mistake...

And congratulations on finishing the normal S/U grail with untwinked single-pass characters! That is a really impressive feat! Good luck on all your other characters (I'll catch up in the Bountyhunter tournament once the vanity challenge is over...I mean: who would want to have an ugly dog avatar???)

EDIT: Ooooh! Almost forgot to mention the Ancients fight at /p8! That's ridiculous! Even twinked Hell ancients can be really nasty at /p8...but untwinked with only mastery skills? :crazyeyes::hang::action-smiley-061::badteeth:

Wow! very impressive as always!

Meeting extra fast cows can be very nasty, especially early on. Have you ever noticed how one boss mod will be repeated throughout an area?

You're perseverance is rather impressive :nod:

But no guardian with a prayer merc yet? That's my favorite one!

Speechless yet again....

Congrats Jian!!!

Congratulations! That must have required a lot of patience, although I imagine that the merc was killing at OK speed with that gear. What was the firewall damage? I guess the 20 points in Lightning and Cold Mastery are useless, which makes this is an almost skill-less character.

Those are some pretty good items for untwinked play! Tal's Mask, Treachery, the upped Pierre Tombale, the boots, the crafts...wow!

Yeah, lucky to find Lum + Pul.

Those boots must be in the top 3 of all boots I have gambled. I really like my rare ring, too.

EDIT: Ooooh! Almost forgot to mention the Ancients fight at /p8! That's ridiculous! Even twinked Hell ancients can be really nasty at /p8...but untwinked with only mastery skills? :crazyeyes::hang::action-smiley-061::badteeth:

Since I could fight them one at a time, it wasn´t so bad. You can also say that Korlic and Talic had only /p4.5 life, because of Static Field.
I think I lucked out with them not getting any powerful weapons. With Haseen´s good damage output and life steal, Korlic and Madawc couldn´t get his life below 80%, so I just had to wait a little longer than if it had been /P1.

felixbavaria said:
What was the firewall damage?

Jill had an effective level 7 Fire Wall with level 24 Fire Mastery. That gives 941-1009 fire damage per second, and you can have at least two walls burning at a time.

felixbavaria said:
I guess the 20 points in Lightning and Cold Mastery are useless, which makes this is an almost skill-less character.

Cold Mastery was very useful. It made the Glacial Spike freeze duration decent - enough so I didn´t need to really spam it to freeze monsters around Haseen. One cast per second or so would be enough most of the time. This, combined with the maxed Warmth meant that I could use GS for a long time without needing mana potions.

Lightning Mastery wasn´t completely useless either, although it was very rarely used. PI + FI bosses (5 in total, I think) were killed by Jill with a Shocking weapon (wand or javelin) in melee. LM boosted the damage from around 1-440 to 1-1800-something.

Well done!

Not having a TP in that cow level mess and living to tell the tale, wow!

Facing the Ancients at /players 8 is a very scary thought untwinked. I'm facing that now (and have been a for quite along time) in the Labors tourney and that is a scary thought. How many Ancients end up are lightning immune is indeed a big variable because of static. And I'm planning to try it on purpose, if I can work up the courage to try it...

Complete clears with that build and single-pass is quite an accomplishment!

The rune drops were quite fortuitous for the merc gear, particularly in 1.10-1.11. Treachery is versatile - did you try getting the Fade and Venom to trigger on Jill and then swapping armors? The durations are long enough for me to make regular use of that technique.

Not having ATMA for so much of the game changes gear planning a great deal- your stash must have been packed the whole time.

Congratulations! How many guardians is it now? I always follow your magic find guide throughout Normal at least (apart from the p8, don't have the patience for it...) and it has helped my understanding of the game a lot!!

About the TP.. First time I was about to face Hell Baal I entered with DeadLarry, fishymancer, and his entire army. I panicked and started to run arumd to get away from the tentacles which of course led to my army being killed very quickly. Only to discover I had just used my last TP scroll... I ran around for maybe 20 seconds until also the merc died and then I S&E... My pulse was a bit higher than normal...

Treachery is versatile - did you try getting the Fade and Venom to trigger on Jill and then swapping armors? The durations are long enough for me to make regular use of that technique.

It has not crossed my mind, but wow, it´s a great idea!

I wouldn´t use it for regular play (I hate doing stuff that depends on gear swapping, since I generally spend more time doing selling trips than killing monsters, and I hate being rushed) but when entering areas with potential stairs traps, I could see myself doing this with some characters. Thanks!

Not having ATMA for so much of the game changes gear planning a great deal- your stash must have been packed the whole time.

Yep, and every session started with me dropping stuff from inventory and onto the ground: Kelpie Snare (that wasn´t used as much as I thought it would be), some jewels, amulets/rings for rerolling, etc.

queenEm said:
How many guardians is it now?

Not counting v1.09 or skunkbelly´s switcharoo tourneys, I think I am at 11 now.
My Septavirate, one more Necromancer (Randomly Challenged) and three more Sorceresses (Blaze Enchantress, Sword of Destiny Enchantress, and Jill).

Last edited:

It is just amazing, reading your Guardian threads, jiansonz. Have you ever done anything that was not challenged somehow?

Makes me feel humbled, fearing to enter hell with my single (alive) HC char...

:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing this feat with us, jiansonz. It was fun following your progress.

Are you going to spend those 16 skill points on something as a reward, now that you've finished Uzziah's challenge?

Have you ever done anything that was not challenged somehow?

Yes, I played a lot of 1.09 Softcore early on:
- Frozen Orb + FW Sorc
- Phoenix Striker (that stopped using the skill when Tiamat´s Rebuke dropped. Just Attack holding this shield was enough - 1.09 was that easy!)
- Javazon (PJ and LF)
- Bonemancer (Bone Spear and CE, mostly)
- Damage return/Revive/CE Necro (damage return builds weren´t so slow back then).

I didn´t know about the players setting, so all these were on players 1 all the way. They became Mat/Pat at clvl 73.

Swamigoon said:
Are you going to spend those 16 skill points on something as a reward, now that you've finished Uzziah's challenge?

I see no point in that as she is now retired. Also, if I keep them unassigned, it will be easier to remember what this character was about if I take a look at her a couple of years from now.

Awesome read - congratulations!

Really an impressive guardian. I personally can not stand the cow level and am pretty sure I would have gotten the character killed in that TP situation. Also, nice gear! pul/lum/vex in 1.11. That's pretty insane.

pul/lum/vex in 1.11. That's pretty insane.

Yes, and let´s not forget Lem x2 and Ko x2 as well...

Pul was from NM Hellforge and one of the Lem runes was from Hell Hellforge.

More time selling in town than killing monsters :surprise2: Surely you jest?

In your guide you say that you are thorough picking up drops. . . exactly how thorough? Do you sell everything down to the last quiver of arrows/bolts?

I usually grab throwing pots, throwing knives, balanced axes, throwing axes, sometimes armors, and anything with potential for staffmods, strictly for selling purposes. I thought that was pretty thorough, but I have always wondered why I never seem to have enough gold to keep up with your guide's gambling recommendations once I hit lvl 20ish and start gambling circlets.

It has not crossed my mind, but wow, it´s a great idea!

I wouldn´t use it for regular play (I hate doing stuff that depends on gear swapping, since I generally spend more time doing selling trips than killing monsters, and I hate being rushed) but when entering areas with potential stairs traps, I could see myself doing this with some characters. Thanks!

Glad you like the idea, I've used it many times before! It is something of a hassle, but the extra resists and DR from Fade may be worth it for a big battle. And curse shortening is also a plus for just regular questing or CS battles. It can be annoying waiting for Fade to trigger- sometimes the "go and stand in a fire" is a reasonable method. One nice thing is that if you plan for it and have merc armor that the character can wear, switching back and forth doesn't take any inventory space up.

- Phoenix Striker (that stopped using the skill when Tiamat´s Rebuke dropped. Just Attack holding this shield was enough - 1.09 was that easy!)

Can you tell us about this bug? Sounds interesting..

More time selling in town than killing monsters :surprise2: Surely you jest?
In your guide you say that you are thorough picking up drops. . . exactly how thorough? Do you sell everything down to the last quiver of arrows/bolts?

No, not quite down to arrow pack level. I leave them, and other near-worthless crap. My threshold is about 40 gold per inventory space.

I really want one 2x4 inventory space plus one 2x3 inventory space free for goods transports, but sometimes I need charms so badly that it shrinks to just one 2x4 space.

Selling takes time. Think of something like /players 8 in Nightmare Tal´s tombs, where it´s reasonably easy to kill monsters. Take one of those treasure rooms in a false tomb and you will have two dozen items on the ground after a big fight (many of them valuable). Then pop open the golden chest and get another 20+ magical items, many of them being big weapons. And it´s a pretty long way from the town portal to Fara...

@zaphodbrx: Not a bug, but 1.09 monsters have much less life than they have in later versions. The elemental damage on Tiamat´s was enough to kill even most Hell monsters in not that many hits. I had a fast attack (some decent Greater Talons and Burst of Speed).

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High