Grim Ward/Find Potion Barb

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
I've been playing around with a skill planner to look for some interesting new builds and I noticed that Grim Ward has a synergy with Find Potion that causes enemies affected by the Grim Ward to take extra damage. How does this work? I'm assuming it doesn't break a physical immunity, but what about after it has been sundered? I know that you'd probably have to sacrifice points in BO, but I'm thinking a Frenzy barb with a pair of upped Heath Carvers or perhaps a throw barb might work with this. Does anyone have any experience using the new Grim Ward?

Edit: I should mention this is for D2R

Last edited:
I am using the old version on a bow barbarian in LoD. The monsters affected run away pretty fast so my initial though was that that would remove any effectiveness for killing as you would spend your time chasing the monsters rather than hitting them. Frenzy runspeed would help but still. But apparently Grim Ward also slows enemies so it seems to be actually useful!

I am using the old version on a bow barbarian in LoD. The monsters affected run away pretty fast so my initial though was that that would remove any effectiveness for killing as you would spend your time chasing the monsters rather than hitting them. Frenzy runspeed would help but still. But apparently Grim Ward also slows enemies so it seems to be actually useful!
The slowing effect was why I considered either a frenzy or throw barb. With my current build, I'm finding that a leap attack can be a bit problematic against a moving target, even a slow-moving one.

There was a thread by SSOG in the old barbarian forum (Pre 2007) that discussed using Leap, Howl and Grim Ward techniques with a throw barb. Unfortunately, I didn't copy the thread. Basically, they were used for crowd control. Looking at an old pat report I tried them, but decided that with the chance to flee generated by Lacerators that I didn't need to use them.

Kill something move up, cast Grim Ward and then Taunt monsters back into the damage range of Grim Ward.

Reactions: TheNix
I started using my old berserk bard as a wolfbarb, and I used Grim Ward on occasion. It's fine? Afaik, it works just like Amp Damage and you don't need a sunder charm to break immunities, unless I missed something.

I started using my old berserk bard as a wolfbarb, and I used Grim Ward on occasion. It's fine? Afaik, it works just like Amp Damage and you don't need a sunder charm to break immunities, unless I missed something.
If it can break PIs, that'd be fantastic. I wanted to make a throwbarb soon and that looks like it might work well.

If it can break PIs, that'd be fantastic.
I'd like to know too.
Lots of Grim Ward changes in the D2R 2.4 patch: area of effect radius boost, slows affected enemies, and amplifies damage taken by affected enemies. With maxed synergy Find Potion, I anticipate Grim Ward's amplified damage percentage might surpass even the necromancer's Amplify Damage curse, and thus could possibly break previously unbreakable physical immunities! Can anyone confirm?

Grim Ward breaks immunities and the damage taken can reach up to 120% but it doesn't work against uniques/bosses. :( Ever since I noticed that I instantly incorporated that skill into my Magic Find Pit Barbarian and I loved it!

The guide is here and in the video below at 5:20 you can see how it works!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High