Grail Complete !!! [1.14d]

Silvio415

Feb 5, 2019
After many years playing this game off and on and a few years of serious grailing, I have found every set and unique item in Diablo II. I was very lucky to find Tyrael's Might early. My total runs are roughly estimated as the following:

10,000 Ancient Tunnels (Blizzard Sorceress with ~600 mf)
1,000 Chaos Sanctuary (Hammerdin with ~200 mf)
2,000 Pit (Poison necro and Pitzerker setups)
15,000 Pindleskin (Pindlezerker setup)
1,000 Normal Coldcrow (Hammerdin)
5,000 Andariel (various characters including Fireball Sorceress)
3,000 Mephisto (Fishymancer and Avenger)

I started the grail in May 2018 with a Vengeance Paladin and a Fishymancer. Not sure why I chose those characters but I liked the guides put out by Asmodeous and Nightfish. I then built a Javazon and a Whirlwind Barb but my grailing effort really took off after I started a Blizzard Sorceress and began using RWM. Between May 2018 and January 2019 I ran mostly Ancient Tunnels and whittled the list down to 29 items remaining. I had some awesome early finds including the "big three," Astreon's, Death's Web, and Mang's Song:

Screenshot031.jpgScreenshot032.jpg

Screenshot064.jpg
Screenshot065.jpg

srryllama1.jpg
srryllama2.jpg

And a really nice eth Death Cleaver:

Screenshot060.jpg
Screenshot061.jpg

"Side quests" included running Cold Crow to round up the Torch of Iro. Some might call this inefficient but it was a good morale boost.

Screenshot079.jpg

I also ran Andariel and identified rings until I found my first SoJ:

Screenshot093.jpg

Also found some time in there to run LK 8,000 times to make an Enigma and Infinity:

Screenshot007.jpg
Screenshot021.jpg
Screenshot022.jpg
Screenshot024.jpgScreenshot025.jpg
Screenshot180.jpg
Screenshot213.jpg

Screenshot219.jpg

Screenshot571.jpg

I then played off and on until August 2019 when married and family life caught up with me and I took a break from D2 until April 2021. I had found Windforce and Griffon's Eye by then and my list sat at 9 missing. When I started playing again in April 2021 I found the following in quick succession:

Death's Fathom - 26/25/32
Screenshot320.jpg

Screenshot331.jpg
Screenshot332.jpg

I then took another break to play some 1.07 but when I came back to the Ancient Tunnels grind I found this gargantuan drop:

Screenshot377.jpg
Screenshot378.jpg

This really motivated me to complete the grail. My last 7 items were the following:

Crown of Ages
Templar's Might
Spirit Ward
Stormspire
Darkforce Spawn
Metalgrid
Telling of Beads

Other than Metalgrid I knew the rest should be obtained fairly easily from running Pindleskin. First, I ran Andariel with my Fireball Sorceress and identified about 100 set amulets to finally find 1 Telling of Beads. My Whirlwind Barb also found another ToB later in Travincal during the RFL.

During the 3rd round of RFL I was running Chaos with my Hammerdin when I found this:

Screenshot477.jpg

I was on the home stretch now, and started 10,000 Pindleskin runs (which also overlapped the MFO). I found the final 5 grailers as follows:

Screenshot523.jpg

26/14/1
Screenshot537.jpg

Screenshot543.jpg

2/2/1
Screenshot547.jpg

Screenshot561.jpg

I was done at 9,685 runs but decided to round out the 10k runs and found this monster at 9,752:

Screenshot565.jpg
Screenshot567.jpg

Other nice finds along the way:

50 mf War Traveler
Screenshot329.jpg

Perfect Mara's
Screenshot326.jpg

Zod
Screenshot417.jpg

Perfect Raven Frost
Screenshot420.jpg

So there it is, something I've wanted to do since I first started playing as a kid in 2000 or whenever it was. Some oddities:

1) I found Mang's Song, Astreon's, and all set items (minus ToB) BEFORE I found my first Shako.
2) I have 19 Reaper's Tolls, 0 ethereal.
3) Tyrael's Might was my first unique Sacred Armor drop.
4) If I hadn't ran Normal Cold Crow I'd still be looking for that Torch of Iro.
5) BK/SoJ split was 10/3.
6) I found 9 Arcanna's and 9 Tal Rasha amulets for 2 Telling of Beads. Weird RNG.
7) Isn't it weird we consider Ormus's Robes (25 permutations) to be 1 item for the grail but Rainbow Facets (6 permutations) are 6 items? Gets the old noggin' joggin'.

What's next?

1. Runeword grail (lots of Trav runs in my future)
2. Ormus' Robes grail (mine sits at -8)
3. 1.07/1.08 grail (including Stormspire/Windforce/Mavina's Bow)
4. 7x7 Septuple Sept (3/7 done)
5. Ethereal grail (I'm insane)
6. D2R???? Maybe.

Thanks to everyone in the SPF for the moral support and knowledge shared over the years.😁

Grail Complete.PNG

Amazing accomplishment! And thank you for the detailed write up, it was cool to see the key progress benchmarks with pictures. Also, I feel you on Reapers — I’m on #92, I believe, without an ethereal. RNG is weird indeed :D

Looking forward to the 7x7, I like seeing the different builds people choose for multiple septs.

Congratulations!! What an accomplishment. And I love the write-up chronicling all the high points. It makes me wish I still had my old stashes from back in the day, but who knows if I'll ever even attempt the grail... but it's so cool to see folks completing it. Stellar work, mate!

Reactions: coju and Silvio415
Amazing accomplishment! And thank you for the detailed write up, it was cool to see the key progress benchmarks with pictures. Also, I feel you on Reapers — I’m on #92, I believe, without an ethereal. RNG is weird indeed :D

Looking forward to the 7x7, I like seeing the different builds people choose for multiple septs.

92 !!! :oops::oops::oops: This eth grail is going to be tougher than I thought.

Thanks for the kind words and I'm using yours and Nightfish's 7x7 posts as models and inspiration!

Congratulations!! What an accomplishment. And I love the write-up chronicling all the high points. It makes me wish I still had my old stashes from back in the day, but who knows if I'll ever even attempt the grail... but it's so cool to see folks completing it. Stellar work, mate!

Thank you very much!

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
That's really insane that you found Tyrael's before Templars.

i've found ~ at least 10-12 Templars .. over he last 2 decades and countless IK soul cages ... but no Tyrael's.

Since I came back to d2 with resurrected I managed to find Stormlash finally a little while ago, Zod in the same place you found it - just by Pindle.

Just missing the Cow King's set and Tyrael's and then i'll be happy.

Congrats on your Grail.

Reactions: Silvio415
Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
That's really insane that you found Tyrael's before Templars.

i've found ~ at least 10-12 Templars .. over he last 2 decades and countless IK soul cages ... but no Tyrael's.

Since I came back to d2 with resurrected I managed to find Stormlash finally a little while ago, Zod in the same place you found it - just by Pindle.

Just missing the Cow King's set and Tyrael's and then i'll be happy.

Congrats on your Grail.

Thank you, and congrats on that Zod from Pindle! I believe it's roughly an 11% chance to identify a Tyrael's vs Templar's (assuming the SA drop can be both). Knowing that Tyrael's is out there is a real burden because so often I just wanted to run Pindleskin or an alvl 84 area but I knew it wasn't the most efficient use of my time. Hence the mad run on Ancient Tunnels. Just gotta keep stacking up those alvl 85 champion and unique corpses.o_O

Huge congrats Silvio, that's an incredible accomplishment! And a great post you made about it too, screens and stories.. 😎

Like others, I'm shaking my head with your Templars before Tyraels? I left D2L with grail -3, with Tyraels being one of the missing items. Also, I once found three Templars in ONE MFO, but no Tyraels... 😂🙁😫

Good luck in your next projects!

Reactions: Silvio415
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High