Getting Benaiah through Hell - D2R Untwinked Zealot Planning & Progress

Having completed 200 runs, I decided I would run LK until another higher rune dropped and quit there, with a goal of ≥Ist in my head.

158 runs later: Ah, yes... this is the LK I remember... hundreds of runs without anything dropping... wrist aching...

Run 159:

So are you going to quit there or is the temptation to keep running for another high rune too strong? :D

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
So are you going to quit there or is the temptation to keep running for another high rune too strong? :D
Hah, I'm a bit tired of LK to be honest. I mentioned earlier I didn't have as much time to play these days, so I was waking up early to play a little before work with my son, who is working on a sorc. So I may just quest casually for a bit and sleep a little more. 😃

Hah, I'm a bit tired of LK to be honest. I mentioned earlier I didn't have as much time to play these days, so I was waking up early to play a little before work with my son, who is working on a sorc. So I may just quest casually for a bit and sleep a little more. 😃
I just finished a workday with some LK running when I had online meetings.
Highest found rune was a Lem, but I finally found a unique javelin, Thunderstroke, so that makes the furyzon a bit more of a bite. She's the one running LK now .

My play routine is (I decided this yesterday):
day 1: adventuring with the Barb (Act V normal)
day 2: LK running with the zon
day 3: adventuring with the blizzball sorc (act II Hell)
day 4: Baal, Andy or 85 area's (hell) runs with the Zealer

Yeah... I need a certain ammount of variation, why?

Man, I made a Lawbringer PB and hired an Act 5 Frenzy merc just to run Hell Nithalak. I decided to test him out in the Pits and MAN, this guy is AGRESSIVE. I've done nothing but Act 2 mercs with the occasional Act 1 for forever. I definitely miss the Might Aura and accompanying ~800 extra dmg, but this guy killed in A5 areas like the Glacial Trail/Crystalline Passage/Frozen River where there were a lot of undead and PIs.

For offhand, I gave him Bloodmon, the only other 1H elite sword I had (213% ED / 11% LL). (Apparently an upped eth Headstriker is supposed to do insane damage because of the way damage is calculated for merc, but though I have a few, none are eth, so I didn't upgrade.)

He was absolutely mowing through packs. I'm used to the A2 merc hanging back and sort of jabbing at guys after the fact, but this guy storms ahead and just clears a room. Everything seems to be decrep-ed and knocked back when PIs show up, which was usually what made the A2 merc immediately die: he'd hit PIs and stop leeching and just peter out.

I feel like I lose some kill speed but as a team we may clear areas faster? IDK. I wish they let these guys wield axes... I mean, the Frenzy icon is an axe. But I feel like this guy would be pretty great if I got him an Oath Eth Cryptic Sword or something like that for offhand. I almost made Crescent Moon for his other hand, but I feel like the offhand should be big physical damage for the leech.

Until I get Reaper's Toll, I may keep this fellow... we'll see. Very surprised at his performance; I still expected him to suck.

The big complaint with Act 5 mercs is their tendency to wander off on their own. Depending on your character and play style this can range from frustrating to dangerous. I had tried a couple of times to use them and gave up. I decided to try again with my wolfbarb and the barb merc has been great. I think if you keep your character moving the barb wanders less.

If you keep him you can transfer the Lawbringer to him and you can wield the big damage. You can also make a Lawbringer for him in an Eth sword so he can do a little more damage.

The big complaint with Act 5 mercs is their tendency to wander off on their own. Depending on your character and play style this can range from frustrating to dangerous. I had tried a couple of times to use them and gave up. I decided to try again with my wolfbarb and the barb merc has been great. I think if you keep your character moving the barb wanders less.

If you keep him you can transfer the Lawbringer to him and you can wield the big damage. You can also make a Lawbringer for him in an Eth sword so he can do a little more damage.
Yeah, I actually did put the Lawbringer on him. I have an eth Conquest Sword but I figured sacrificing range and weapon speed might not be worth it. I also am not exactly sure of the mechanics of Frenzy on merc. An eth Cryptic Sword looks like a decent base, though.

I think the A5 merc keeps up a little better when I'm charging all over the place. The A2 mercs sometimes lag behind me a lot when I do that.

I may keep this guy for a bit, especially in areas where there are a lot of PIs, but I'll probably end up switching back to A2 merc.

Now if they let these guys dual wield axes or 2h swords, that'd be a different story...

Last edited:
Did some testing and it seems pit runs are about 20% faster with the A5 Merc. I read about the damage bonus these guys get and upped a Headstriker for him so he's doing almost 4K damage on the Headstriker hand with Lawbringer on the other. The A2 guy might be better just for general questing, but I think the A5 is fast on Pits because of the following:

1. The A5 Merc doesn't get stuck in the twisty passages so much. The A2 merc is just absent for most of my runs as he gets stuck behind me, since I'm charging, not teleporting.
2. The A5 Merc is more aggressive in clearing the room, rather than the A2 that hangs back more. That means I get stuck by mobs of normal monsters trying to get to the bosses and champions.
3. There are a lot of undead, and the Sanctuary aura helps make up for the damage I lost on the Might aura, and same goes for decrepify.

So in a more open area, I think A2 would probably be my choice, but sticking with A5 for Pits. He's much more tanky so I don't have to worry about him.

100 Pit Runs @ /players 1 - 250% MF Complete

Not much of note here. A few good drops: Eth Bonehew, Gheed's, IK Maul, Naj's Puzzler, Wisp Projector, Hellslayer. Some Puls and Lums and a few decent bases--4os Cryptic Swords and some Eth Threshers that I wrecked in the cube. :LOL: I did upgrade my Rhyme base to a +40 allres Kurast Shield.

I may head back to LK for a while.

The Act 5 Frenzy merc slays even with just OK gear--he's a solid choice for builds that don't have a big need for 'Insight' on the merc. One of my characters has a Frenzy merc equipped with Sazabi's set plus a 'Voice of Reason' Phase Blade and it seems like nothing can kill him. There are certainly better options for the second sword over 'Voice of Reason', but it was all I had kicking around in my stash, and Cannot Be Frozen seems nice to have.

500 Lower Kurast Runs @ /players 7 complete:
Um x2, Mal x3, Ist x1.

I was really hoping for some runes that would get me closer to some of my runeword goals (especially Ohm or Lo), but no such luck. As I've progressed, I really like the idea of equipping this guy and defeating Ubers untwinked, so that's sort of in the back of my mind. I know there are a lot of budget Uber builds out there, but I'd prefer to get pretty close to an ideal one if possible.

Although this is irrational, I feel like I have to continue running LK until a decent high rune drops or I don't have much to show for it except a lot of crafting materials. But RNG gonna RNG.

On the bright side, I have perfected my LK runs.
-Rerolled map with side-by-side campfires
-Got my FRW over 200% with Vigor
-Noticed a few little tricks (like using D2R's zoom function to look at big dumps from chests) that speed up runs

Last edited:
Reactions: Swamigoon
500 More Lower Kurast Runs @ /players 7 complete

I was going to just keep running until a high rune dropped, as I mentioned above.

I was 400 runs in with nothing to show, then run 403:
sur.png

I decided to finish out 500 so I would have done a total of 1K at /p7, and also got a few more Mals and an Um during these 500 I believe.

Sadly, no Ohm or Lo, as I think Grief and CTA are two runewords that would really take this Paladin to the next level, but I'm probably going to leave it at that for a bit and go finally defeat Baal so I can either run him or Cows for a bit.

EDIT:

Made Patriarch with the guy!
Thread here

Thanks for all your suggestions. Now it's on to the Ubers... eventually!

Last edited:
Well, this fellow is no longer untwinked, but still self found and he’s closer to running Ubers.

Following the fantastic guide @Excalibur put together, I made Grief, Fortitude, Exile, and Call to Arms with the runes I’ve accrued over the past weeks. (Video and Screenshots in IFT.)

The rest of gear is as the guide describes, with the exception of gloves and amulet. I haven’t got a Mara’s or Steelrends. For the amulet I’m using Highlord’s. The gloves are crafted; 5% ll, 10% CB, +16 life, 18% FR and some MF. I do lose the enhanced damage from Steelrends, but keep the crushing blow and save ~40 points I’d have to put into Strength. That may be a better option for me at the moment since my CTA is a pretty low roll.

As far as skills, I have put 3 points into Zeal to get 5 hits to deal with mobs and enable him to run some other areas.

Skill set up so far is:
-1 point Smite
-Max Holy Shield
-3 points Zeal
-1 point Salvation
-Max Fanaticism
-Enough points in Resist Lightning for 95% resist

I have a huge load of points left over and can still run Baal very comfortably. Even when completely mobbed the guy seems nearly invincible. I’ve run some calculations and points in Zeal/Sacrifice does surprisingly little for damage, so I’ll probably play him for a bit to get used to things and decide how I want to distribute the remaining points among Smite, Resist Fire, and other useful auras.

Last edited:
He did it! First Uber run down without too much problem. I ended up putting the remaining points in Smite and Resist fire.

Duriel got down to a sliver of health and stayed there a long time. Maybe adding some Open Wounds to the mix might help finish him off, so I might give Gore Riders a go. It seemed my damage was just right on the edge of his health regen, so either that or a slightly higher roll Grief or the ED from Steelrends, which I lack, might do the trick a little faster.

I was mostly afraid of Mephisto, but I still had maxed resists even under his Conviction, and he went down pretty quick. Diablo and Baal weren't too much of a problem.

The others weren't too scary. I think Lilith might have actually taken the biggest chunks out of my health.

First Hellfire Torch was a 19/10 Necro, and I don't even currently have a Necro since restart, but that gives me inspiration to run some more! Thanks to all who helped with this guy. It was cool to do a "new" thing after all my years of playing D2.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High