Fructuous Fridaily

Jan 29, 2009
Fructuous Fridaily

I don't know what that means.

RL: Good night's sleep, so gogo. Up, shave/shower, coffee, email/rss, foruming. Soon: sandwich, driving, workies, doughnuts (or maybe bagels, but I predict donuts), workies, eat sandwich, workies, driving, stop by the post office and mail a package to a buddy, home, interwebsurfings, food, XFiles, bed. That's unless I get crazy and do something unusual...

RB: On a podcast yesterday, someone said something to the effect of (paraphrasing) 'When I look out and see evil, it's my own heart that I need to contend with.' I'm not sure what this means, but the guy also said something about evil not really existing, that, in fact, what we call evil amounts to spiritual suffering, or somesuch. I'm not sure whether or not this has anything to offer my current rantings, but it will require some investigation.

@TRM:
So wipe out the golden rule (or better yet Kant's Categorical Imperative) because of the few people out there who want to be eaten by crocodiles? Well, here's where Kant is useful: "Act to that maxim, and that maxim alone, which you can, at the same time and in the same way, will to be a universal law." Now I wonder if even the most crazed crocodile worshipper would seriously will that everyone everywhere would jump (or be thrown) into the pit to be eaten by crocs? 1) the crocs will eventually get full; 2) the pit will fill up; 3) there will be no one left to teach about the wonders wrought by the great Croc, and no one left to profess it's greatness. But maybe Kant's over-rated. In fact, I think the Categorical Imperative was discounted many years ago... Kant himself may have written it out. I don't recall. But, for me, it still serves as a decent starting point for examining the world and the self, and I tend to reject pure relativism, as there are some acts which society can not tolerate (and which we as ethical humans should reject). Of course, there remains the issue of who decides which acts are intolerable, and the tendency of states to slip towards tyranny (of some form or another), but relativism still holds no water. There's an interesting sort of conversation going on on NYT about the Burqa and the state's right to ban or limit its use. I'd link to it, but that might be verboten, so I'll say: new york times, "The Stone", "Veiled Threats?", "The Burqa and the Body Electric".

Edit: and it's too early for me to be getting deep into anything this deep. Gogo.

Have a good Friday, everyone!

Re: Fructuous Fridaily

High Fructose corn syrup perhaps? I've been trying to drop a few pounds this summer, so Fructose and its many imitators are my sworn enemy. GG Diet Rite and Sprite Zero ftw. :D

RL: Trash day. How fun. :coffee: Going to try to squeeze in the morning walk, weather permitting of course. Its been rainy the past 24ish hours, so expect humidity to be yucky high. Blech.

D2: ATMA is starting to get angry at me when opening the 1.13c - Flawless.d2x stash, so I may try to do some cubing. Prolly not enough time for dedicated questing or MFing tho.

@JayGun: Crocs are super scary, mate. I hope for our sake and yours that you don't get eaten. :p

RL: Preferably not, no. It's dull anyway.

D2: @Urkel I feel your pain. We have a stash of over 5000 jewels, mungo has a finds stash of 3000 and the sell this rubbish stash is up to 2000. Even GoMule is getting snarky with the jewels stash. :D

I just ran a Flavie report. Completed grail and a Zod. Ok mungo found most of it (including the Asterons & Zod in the MFO) but ... wow. Excuse me, I'm raiding stashes atm. I wonder if it's worth losing the facet in a Griffs for an Um. Gear jiggling makes my head hurt.

OVG: Possibly if I'm feeling the character creator. Or the base editor. The new zones look very pretty.

RL: My sister and her hellspawn are over today. I hate them both. Srceaming is all they know how to do.(Nephew is 1 1/2 years old, sister is 23.)

OVG: More torchlight. If anyone is still playing, I would like to invite you all over to the Torchlight Progress Thread to post your updates. The Torchlight forum is near death at the moment, so maybe we can save it.

Just quickly before I crash.

RL: Shopping, bought a hdmi to dvi cable and xbox 360 game 'army of two'. Should provide some entertainment for me and a friend when we catch up in a few weeks. Planning on getting an xbox 360 slim in a fortnight, since my asus eeepc has wireless it should be able to stream movies over to the new toy.

D2. Similar to Thursdaily comment, getting sleepy now. Can't say more. Good night all.

RL: just waking up (it's past noon, a very lazy day) coffee, toast with strawberry jelly, then shower. i made it about a week on my quitting smokeing attempt, im back at it. Yesterday i had a meeting with a building inspector who told me that by law your only allowed to have 70% of your property concrete (my customer has 71% concrete) so now, i either have to put all that dirt and grass back or come up with another solution... hopefully the customer will want paver's instead, we shall see on monday. Later on im headed off to the mall must do some shopping, i need some new pants... might buy a couple of movies while im at it... been wanting to see clash of the titan's.

D2: perhaps. i have quite a few character's i want to work on but can't decide what one to play >_<

OVG: might hit up some classic duckhunt later xD

RL: Supposed to be payday, but SNAFU so I have to wait until Monday. Grrr. Going to be a lean weekend. Arm is much better, but considerably weaker than it used to be... have to start doing pushups or something. Coffee's good though... and potato pancakes for bfast.

D2: Got the barb up to 89. His tour from 88 to 89 was pretty uneventful. An Ist was the best he could manage, and a few nicities like a Medusa Gaze and other unused uniques. He did gamble a pretty good amulet (+29 res all,23 dam reduction). Will start in on the Sorc next. Hope that one of these characters can nab a Ber or Sur before I get to my lightning zon.

OVG: I've been playing Fallout 3 this week... no one told me it was just Oblivion with a different setting/story. Still... it's a good game, though I'll probably only play it once and shelve it.

OVG: I've been playing Fallout 3 this week... no one told me it was just Oblivion with a different setting/story. Still... it's a good game, though I'll probably only play it once and shelve it.

People who say this make me want to kick them in the teeth. Seriously, the setting/story make the game. Not to mention guns, and S.P.E.C.I.A.L....

I've played both, and while there gameplay may be similar, they are COMPLETELY different games.

It's like saying Mortal Kombat and Spyro are the same game because you use the same controller. It's stupid.

RL only half hour preparation and i'm set for sajeta, tolmin, slovenia. i don't even know waht it's about but fun is fun

RL: work and that means..
D2: LK runs!! doh.. they are dumb enough to actually grow your wealth and dont need to keep my mind too much into.. and pause any time for actually work ;)

OVG:
I like FO3 and its not like oblivion.. not at leats imo.. i like to have hundreds and hundreds of ways to end the game :)

RL: I picked up a 1000 piece jigsaw of a friendly looking Koala. :3 I'm going to see if I can get it done under a month.

D2: HF rush set #1. Music? Check. Background pr0n? Check. Background anime? Check.

OVG: Champions of Norrath later if I have time.

The lowest it's been in a week. 3 more and I can start sending PMs/receiving PMs again!

@JayGun: I was thinking about a response to what you wrote when I walked out the door this morning... but completely forgot about it 'til just now. I'll respond, but it'll be a little bit. :wink:

@Vodnik: Though I've played neither game, your opinion's perfectly valid concerning FO3 and Oblivion. That said, telling someone else an opinion that differs from yours is "stupid" and that you'd "kick someone in the teeth"... you might have phrased that a little less harshly. Everyone has the right to their own conclusions.

@omg: I own CoN for the PS2. If there's a PC version, I'm sure mine's totally watered down, but it's the only console ARPG I've spent more than a couple hours on. It's pretty good. And, I meant to do this a few days ago:
:wave:
I almost added to your PM collection a week ago. Guess I saved you a little trouble. :grin:

RL: Work's done for the week, and BOY am I glad to be outta there. xGF took off suddenly less than an hour into work. I texted her saying that if she wants to have a beer and talk, I'm available this weekend. Didn't see the Canadian chick last night. I really hope we're able to get some voice chat in before too long. My plans for tonight include eating leftover chili... and if I don't hear from the xGF, that's about it!

D2/OVG: After I eat I'll look to see if FastE's around.

@omg: I own CoN for the PS2. If there's a PC version, I'm sure mine's totally watered down, but it's the only console ARPG I've spent more than a couple hours on. It's pretty good. And, I meant to do this a few days ago:
:wave:
I almost added to your PM collection a week ago. Guess I saved you a little trouble. :grin:

Heh, I just picked it up recently. So far it's been pretty fun as a Diablo II clone. I'm playing the Warrior(ess) right now, and I'm dying a lot because the game seems much more enjoyable when she's in her bikini. :D

Oh by the way, so I know how to plan out my build, could you tell me around how many skill points I'll be getting by the time I finish a character? Oh, and for items, I see something like this:

oo
oo

Sometimes, one or more of those circles are colored green... what does that mean exactly? And are 2H weapons blunt or slashing?

Thanks... I tried looking for guides, but the bulk of them deal with quests and whatnot.

RL: Was a crazy day at work! Glad to be home and chillin'. Got a bottle of Kraken in the kitchen waiting for me...

D2: More AT runs. Must...find...TC87 items... and maybe some work on the Druid or Necro.

OVG: Wife is playing the Star Craft 2 demo. Looks like I'm going to be springing for the full version. :)

RL: Got up, went to the Home Depot to buy some mulch for the flowerbed in the front yard... after that, I had to honor of spraying poison in the flowerbed to kill weeds and what not. I may or may not have pretended to be a poison necro shooting "Poison Novas" at the "fallens" in the flowerbed :p. After showering and what not, went and got a hair cut. Always feel good after a haircut :)

D2: Finally equipped my WW Barb well enough to run the Council, although I haven't gotten anything worth keeping so far. Highest rune? A Dol. I want to finish collecting gear for my Frenzy Barb; hoping he'll be a fun character to serve as a break from playing my Sorceress all the time. Just need some Lo runes (I have plenty of Surs, but no Los :( ) and some Berserker Axe bases for some weapons! Oh, and the Arreat's Face that keeps evading me :|

OVG: Friend of mine has been wanting to try out Alien Swarm. Might do that at some point.

I can't rightly tell you what to expect in an endgame character since I don't have one myself. My highest is a Ranger at clvl30 (max is 50 iirc), but because skill point rewards increase as your levels increase she already has 73 points invested. If you reach max clvl, I'd say expect to be able to put a full twenty points into five or six skills. The structure is like clvls 1-6 = 1 point, 7-13 = 2 points, etc. I don't remember the exact layout, and I can't find it anywhere yet. I'll keep looking.

The circles on the items denotes how many open sockets it has. I guess since there's always four circles, the highest amount of potential open sockets is four, too. I believe the open circles mean that particular socket is open while the circles filled with green are either full or unusable. I don't recall if sockets can be opened or if what's in a socket can be removed, but the latter seems plausible.

2H weapons? Hmm. I don't know this, either, but I'd guess slashing or blunt would depend on the weapon. Staves and hammers seem blunt to me, but swords sound like they slash. ....That's just my own perception, but I truly don't know...

edit: found what I was looking for. I guess you can reasonably expect to max out seven skills if you hit clvl50! This FAQ may or may not be useful overall, but I'll link it here just in case.

Q: How many skill points do I get at each level?
------------------------------------------------
A:
Lv 02-06 --- 1 point per level
Lv 07-16 --- 2
Lv 17-26 --- 3
Lv 27-36 --- 4
Lv 37-50 --- 5
Total --- 165 points.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High