First 4socket items help

Twibz

Nov 23, 2010
First 4socket items help

Hiya guys, finally got RWM installed and looking to add spirits and an insight to 2 of my characters, just a question:

where can i get a 4socket polearm first? ive heard im sure that its normal cows but ive not found one yet...

and i also want a 4socket crystal sword for the spirit

any ideas where i can get these first, my most progressed character is in act2 nm and then two in act5 normal

any input would be great thankyou :D

Re: First 4socket items help

I think somebody recently mentioned that all items are capped to 3 sockets in Normal, except if you find white item and show it to Larzuk. If you don't want to waste a socket quest you should get those items fairly quickly in NM. Try running Pits on NM.

Edit: about sockets

Don't give it to laz.roll with the socket cube recipe. On phone or I'd look it up for you.

Iirc you can use white items from act 5 normal.
Also, apparently, if you use the cube recipe to make a low quality item a regular item, it resets the quality number or item level number that way you have the chance to roll any number of sockets.believe that information comes from the item generation guide.

after reading the wiki link provided (thanks zgpmf) does that mean I'll have to find a crystal sword in nm and then my normal larzuk will add 4sockets? and the same with a polearm? could someone please just confirm this for me, im a tad stoopid :')

Yes, if item lvl is 26-40 it will get 4 sockets from Larzuk. However, those items are so common that it's stupid to use the socket quest for them. Far better is to just run areas with area lvl 26-40 on a high player setting, hoping for them to drop socketed. It shouldn't take too long until you have one of either.

If you find an ethereal partizan or other polearm you like, it could also be worthwhile to socket it via the cube recipe (ral+amn+perfect amethyst + weapon). It will have evenly distributed chance to get 1-6 (for the item types you ask about), but since max sockets is also capped based on item lvl, it will get 4 sockets if the roll is 5 or 6 as well, in effect giving you 50% chance of ending up with desired amount of sockets.

Yes, if item lvl is 26-40 it will get 4 sockets from Larzuk. However, those items are so common that it's stupid to use the socket quest for them. Far better is to just run areas with area lvl 26-40 on a high player setting, hoping for them to drop socketed. It shouldn't take too long until you have one of either.

If you find an ethereal partizan or other polearm you like, it could also be worthwhile to socket it via the cube recipe (ral+amn+perfect amethyst + weapon). It will have evenly distributed chance to get 1-6 (for the item types you ask about), but since max sockets is also capped based on item lvl, it will get 4 sockets if the roll is 5 or 6 as well, in effect giving you 50% chance of ending up with desired amount of sockets.

alvl 26-40 areas are in Normal so items won't drop with 4os, ever.

@Twibz
If you find item(ilvl 26-40) in late Normal (act V) then yes Larzuk will give 4os, if you find it in NM then ilvl wil for sure be 41+ and you will get max sockets from Larzuk, for example Crystal Sword would get 6 sockets. If I were you, I'd just continue questing and hope for those socketed items to drop.
You can see ilvl of the item in ATMA/GoMule.

You are right that most areas of lvl 26-40 are in normal. However, most of act 1 nm is alvl 36-40 (with some exceptions 41+)

You're right, for example NM Blood Moor is alvl 36.

guess I'll just quest then and hope for the best :) thanks for the feedback though, Ive learnt quite a bit :) really gettin to like you SPF guys <3

I'm pretty sure you're wrong here.
even though the ilvl is above 41 it should still be possible to drop a 4os since it just means that it is possible to get max sockets? e.g. a crystal sword could drop with anything from 1-6 sockets..

Edit: no, I'm sure you're wrong. A 4os Voulge just dopped in NM catacombs lvl 4 for me ;)

In normal those areas will not drop 4os because of the normal 3os cap. However, those items can be rolled with 4os using the cube recipe or larzuk quest. NM drops 4os items all the time. you don't have to use a crystal sword, long swords/broad swords work as well and will drop more often than a crystal sword. I'd check those for your spirit sword.

As for a spirit shield, you have to go with a monarch or pally shield. The pally ones can get it earlier on, but a 4os monarch only drops IIRC starting at early hell. But I believe people really only search for them starting A3 hell because the drop odds are so low earlier on.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong here.
even though the ilvl is above 41 it should still be possible to drop a 4os since it just means that it is possible to get max sockets? e.g. a crystal sword could drop with anything from 1-6 sockets..

Edit: no, I'm sure you're wrong. A 4os Voulge just dopped in NM catacombs lvl 4 for me ;)

The part where I'm wrong is that there are some areas in NM with alvl less then 41.

What I want to say is that you can't get more than 3os on an item that dropped in alvl 40 or less, unless it dropped in alvl 26-40 and you show it to Larzuk. If area has alvl 41 or more than any roll on # of sockets is possible.

Alvl of NM Catacombs is 43 thus item can get 4os even without Larzuk or socket recipe.

The part where I'm wrong is that there are some areas in NM with alvl less then 41.

What I want to say is that you can't get more than 3os on an item that dropped in alvl 40 or less, unless it dropped in alvl 26-40 and you show it to Larzuk. If area has alvl 41 or more than any roll on # of sockets is possible.

Alvl of NM Catacombs is 43 thus item can get 4os even without Larzuk or socket recipe.

I misread, sorry ;)

You should easily get 4os polearms in nightmare.
For my current necromancer I decided I would be going with an insight iron golem, so I picked up all the polearms I could find in nightmare. Poleaxes, war scythes, bec de corbains, etc, etc.
Eventually I realized that I didn't even need insight actually, so all those polearms are lying waste while I use clay.

The best way is to find a something with ilvl 26-40 and then use the socket recipe.

A Crystal Sword with an ilvl in that range will get a 50% chance of rolling with 4 sockets (socket recipe rolls a 1-6 and gives that number of sockets but since the max is 4, a roll of 5 or 6 will also produce 4 sockets). That's better than using Larzuk.

Same thing when you find a white Monarch later on in Hell.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High