End of Days

Re: End of Days

I can't see myself buying D3. I think (though it's more like I hope) I've outgrown new video games.

I will be buying D3, assuming my PC meets the system requirements. And I will continue to play D2, and even D1 on the odd occasion.

In other news, good to see the squid still hates polls.

The short answer: D2 is my favorite game of all time, so even if D3 is superior in every way (which I suspect will NOT be the case) D2 will become my second favorite game. There's no way I'll turn my back entirely on something that's so dearly beloved.

I'm buying D3 on its launch, no question about it. I haven't been dedicated to following all of the news concerning the game or making speculative posts in forums, but I've had a high level of excitement ever since the week-long lead up to D3's announcement at Blizzcon '08. And every subsequent 'Con or new piece of major news reinvigorates my desire to play (for example, just hearing that there's a window for the beta made me rewatch the D3 panels from the last couple Blizzcons earlier today).

The quality of D3 is still very much up in the air, though, and only time will tell how addicted I'll become. Since a number of mechanics have changed, I'm left to wonder how much I'll enjoy... or resent. I played Mass Effect for the first time early this year, and I loved so much about it. Soon after, I started ME2 and was disappointed in the changes they made to combat and the simplifying of the skills & equipment. I can't help but be discouraged whenever I play ME2, almost to the point where I don't like to play it. It LOOKS like the original and it has some of the same feel, and yet my level of enjoyment is significantly lessened because I liked the first game so much. I can only hope that D3 won't suffer the same fate since I've loved D2 for so long.

This community has been a major influence on my D2 experience, however. It's impossible to give an accurate qualitative/quantitative description on how much more fun D2 became after discovering these forums. I've been dedicated to SP since I started playing (thanks in part to owning only a cracked copy for the first couple/few years), but the SPF made me feel like I was never playing alone. Between support, feedback, honest appraisal, guides, tournies, user created applications & programs, and the general camaraderie and positive aura, D2 has been a very special experience.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that I hope there's a community that will form after the release of D3 that will be half as supportive. If the game is great, it still can't compare to D2 if the people playing it don't think like I do. Without other obsessive, legit, creative minds like the SPF has had over the years, D3 will never stack up to its predecessor.

I also wonder how bugged the initial release will be and what affect it will have on my overall experience. I started playing D2 after LoD was released, somewhere in the 1.09 days. It was a little broken then, but not nearly as bad as the first few versions had been. If I had begun playing back when it was first sold, I wonder how long I would have stuck with the game since it was kind of broken in a lot of ways.

Like I wrote before, there's a lot left that we don't know. Only time will tell how beloved D3 will become. Regardless, D2 will always have a special place in my heart and mind; D3 will never change that.

@Hammy, et al: I feel that Blizzard did okay with making WoW accessible to casual gamers but by the time someone reaches the end-game it does demand a more "hardcore" mindset and activity. However, your explanation about how you need to make perfect choices on talents to avoid making a "failed character" is negated completely when respecs are so cheap and easy to obtain. You can't fail at WoW unless you're either an idiot that doesn't consider outside sources besides your own head for build & gameplay suggestions OR a complete jerk and can't get people to help you do instances/raids for proper gear. ...Or someone like me who can't stand that you have to play with other jerks in order to make improvements and to experience half the game's content, but in my case I'd like to think that WoW failed and not me.

I had a small rant about how casual gaming has seeped into current games (old school lives system vs. checkpoints, autosaves, respecs, motion controls, the prominence of carbon copy sequels instead of new & creative IPs), but because I have no opinion on which is better I got rid of it. If I hated the current trend of gaming, I'd stop playing current games. ...And that hasn't happened. Maybe I don't love everything that comes out these days (or maybe much of anything recent, really), but the flipside of that coin is that I didn't like a lot of old NES and Genesis games, either.

@Wolfgang Abenteuer: Anyone who mentions River City Ransom in this day and age is a hero. Entirely agree with you that I can have more fun playing Super Punch Out than I've had playing most games that were released in the last five years. Just because a game is old doesn't mean that it's not incredibly good.

For me it all really depends on how good D3 is. And from what I have seen so far I'm not convinced it is going to hold my attention in quite the way that D2 has. Hardware requirements are also going to be an important factor - if it runs on my MacBook Pro, then I will buy it. If it doesn't, my gaming career will die with D2. How long that will be will largely depend on what community is left.

I've mentioned it somewhere before, but it fits here:

If D3 isn't awesome, and possibly even if it is: I expect that some people, the legends of this forum perhaps, or just people who left, they will try D3, find it lacking, and come back to SPF and to D2, even for a while.

Maybe this place will go downhill, maybe not. Claiming it will is at this point premature to say the least. The whole high school comaprison is not apt. 1.10 was released what, 7 years ago? That's when "graduation" was. And guess what, people are still here. New people are here, yours truly included.

Diablo II is a classic, a cult game. It's an awesome OLD game. We're years before D3 tries to reach a similar standing.

I wonder if today's games will be "cult classics" in 10 years from now.

The magic 8 ball says "Ask again later". Screw you magic 8 ball. If you can only tell me the answer in 10 years, what good is your magic? WHAT GOOD IS IT?!!

...your explanation about how you need to make perfect choices on talents to avoid making a "failed character" is negated completely when respecs are so cheap and easy to obtain. You can't fail at WoW unless you're either an idiot that doesn't consider outside sources besides your own head for build & gameplay suggestions OR a complete jerk and can't get people to help you do instances/raids for proper gear. ...Or someone like me who can't stand that you have to play with other jerks in order to make improvements and to experience half the game's content, but in my case I'd like to think that WoW failed and not me.

I didn't really mean that you had failed your character in the sense that you were screwed and had to live with mediocrity and start over, as was the case with D2 pre-1.13. I meant more along the lines of being in a random dungeon group (as 95% of dungeon-crawling is these days), someone looking at your talents, saying, "lol noob fail!!11!!1!" and voting to kick you. Nine times out of ten, the rest of the group will just hit ok without really questioning it. Yes, I read the forums obsessively, and I know where to put my points to make my DPS 10% better and therefore "optimal", but I like to be able to choose not to. There are fun talents for a reason, and I'd like to use them. The game is also designed such that it would take an exceptionally coordinated and skilled group to make it through content with any less-than-optimal setup. At that point, one has to wonder why there is a choice on your build? It's like Blizzard is saying, "Go ahead, pick anything you like. No, not that. Not that either. Keep trying. Ok, that works... Or does it?" The fact that the most reliable source of up-to-date game information is a website entitled, "elitistjerks.com" should be a red flag. The biggest thing Blizzard can do to ruin D3 is to import that kind of mindset. I don't think a whole lot of people around here would be playing anymore if the only options were Javazons, WW Barbs, and Blizz Sorcs (as an example) and you only made it to Act V Hell if you were wearing X set of equipment.

I have obviously missed it, but does anyone have a link to the Beta time frame source?

I have obviously missed it, but does anyone have a link to the Beta time frame source?

During the Activision Blizzard 1st quarter financial phone call (takes place about a month and a half after the end of 1st quarter) Blizzard (Mike Mohrain I believe) said it would start 3rd quarter this year, so July to September. He also said that they are still pushing for a 2011 release of D3. I was following the call live sothat about as good as it gets, but the wiki does have this info plus some other interesting info on past betas and procedures.

Here's the link.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High